Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy Vann

Upon hearing the commotion Guy stops mingling and wonders whether his drawing pad was confiscated again and droops his face. Dr. Morgan should know by now his floor plans are only out of curiosity and the incredibly ridiculous firearms are just him being bored. If he was planning a massacre he would be trying to trap then all in his kickass dream house so he can clobber them.

Well, the cat's away so... Guy returns to his dorm and retrieves his tools. Yes, they're still here. Looks like he needs a few more rec areas. He makes his way to the pool to get the dimensions of it and the adjunct (men's) locker room. Hell, if no one shows up he might enter the women's room to inspect the differences, however minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side

{"Holy Hell" - Outside Maureen's Room}

I'm almost out through the smoke deck door when I see the commotion. Bunch of coats and what looks like security staff running past me in a mad dash. I take another drag, letting them move a ways further down the hallway; then flick the butt out of a window and walk after them.

Almost everyone from our wave was there, and a bunch of other people who must be guinea pigs that came before. I shoulder through the crowd to the front, where I can see that the room everyone's looking at belonged to Maureen. Oh poo poo. Did she flip out over what I said yesterday? Suddenly I begin to feel an odd sense of guilt wash over me. Something I'm totes not used to. I move up to Dr. LaJuice and lean around the corner...

“What's going... oh. poo poo.”

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The Dorms

"John, get them out of here," LeJeune orders the security guard, a tremor in her voice. He nods.

"You heard the Doc, people. No need to rubberneck." He at least seems unfazed by the sight of Maureen's body.

Axel, on the other hand, is busy throwing up his breakfast.

"Might wanna call over to Doctor Morgan, get some counseling set up," John mutters to LeJeune.

"I'll handle that," Genevieve says, looking pale and rushing out of the room to do so.

The Gym

The gym is pretty well equipped. There's a single locker room, with exits to both the pool and the main gym facilities--the usual stuff is included in the locker room. Showers, benches, it's pretty unexciting. Within the gym facility, a couple of people are making use of the equipment already. Hard to call if they're off-duty staff or other subjects...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie doesn't push past John the security guard. He isn't moving along yet either. "Holy poo poo, man. Did she really..."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 11, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
To clarify, again: You haven't begun the medication yet. Also to clarify: Maureen's death was clearly suicide, which is immediately apparent.

"C'mon, people...let's not rubberneck." Moon's voice is quiet, but firm. "Give her some dignity, all right?"

Gonna be fastforwarding soon...

MollyMetroid fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 11, 2013

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Bernard Smith

There were kind of a few people in the gym, but Bernard would look really awkward if he just left. Well, maybe he could go in the pool for a while. He'd check to see if the pool was occupied and then pick the less obvious and self-conscious option of the two. This would probably be the one with less people in it. He had a basic workout plan, but he had just never been consistent enough to make much progress.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy Vann

He watches as Bernard pokes his head into the pool room approximately ten feet from his own position and raises his left hand for a greeting. Guy's head tilts to the side as he calculated the remaining wall space before the corner. "Don't mind me. Just getting this room out of the way." His pencil pivots as he regains focus.

Go right ahead.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Guy's comment is followed by a super awkward long pause, until Bernard can work up the nerve to make a comment. "Uh, I'm surprised what you're doing allowed. They seem pretty big on secrecy here." He says as he looks around to see if anyone else was around. Guy talking to him made him awkward but if he was the only one around then he could get in the water and ignore him if he had to.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Guy Vann

Guy squeezes his eyes shut and sighs. "Yeah, security comes visit me every once in a while. Guess I should revise some of my dream houses instead." He flips his pad back a few pages to a much more finished draft. On it are several rooms taken from several angles, along with a few oddities from a logical perspective: floating furniture, zoo animals, clear contradictions in layout, and a door leading nowhere, among other things.

Guy waves at Bernard, giving him the go-ahead to take a dip. Guy seems uninterested in watching this guy swim.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

{Guilt Tripping - Outside Maureen's Room}

I turn away hastily and start booking it back to Heart's room. The look on my face would probably lie somewhere between sadness and loathing. I can't believe it happened again. No loving Way. That bitch had issues way before we came into the picture. poo poo, we only said a single sentence to her!

But she had looked so sad. Even her snarky response was laden with an underlying misery. I should have seen it. That feeling you project when you're truly detached - no love whatsoever. I've been there a long time. I should have seen it... gently caress...

[Andrea bumps past a few people during her retreat. Are those... tears?]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie stares for a moment longer before getting a hold of himself. "Yeah... yeah, sure. You're right." He lets Moon pull him away, shaking his head slowly. "She seemed kind of down, but... you know, this whole thing, the bus ride, I just thought..." He stops, at a lost for words, and just shakes his head again. "Man."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

Lara stays far back, just getting an impression of what's going on from the others' reactions. If what she's getting is right... eugh. Real shame, I think.
She sort of shuts down, edging away and finding a nice quiet corner to calm herself.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The rest of the day passes by pretty quickly--everyone has mandated sessions with Dr. Morgan, which for most of you end up being a bit more than the mere formality that Morgan had planned. After dinner, you're each given a bottle of pills (though Guy already has his) and instructed to take one just before you go to sleep.

When everyone does finally drift off, you find yourselves in the same settings your dreams were in the night before, though this time there is a definite sense of something being different--everything seems more concrete. While the locations are the same, though, tonight, there are no events--Izzie is in an empty court, Nil on an empty stage, etcetera.

And there, still, stands the door from last night.

Your dream forms are not yet active--you're either yourselves, formless consciousnesses, or simply haven't noticed the manifestation, since your dreams are in first person.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Guy

Wave 4's alternate forms are inactive, yes. But Wave 3...

Guy scuttles into his dream sequence on the usual six limbs, entering through the front doors. From there he can project his sense of space through the foyer. A grand spiral staircase once known to be lined with mahogany railing spun up toward the bedrooms, encompassing a frosted glass orb suspended in midair. To his left, a large kitchen adorned with stainless steel and marble. The dining room seats ten and has a marvelous view of a garden where the white elephants roam; that's what Guy recalls from his second night.

He moves through these rooms to a sunken den leading down some forty feet through carpet-lined perches. The obstacles remained unchanged from night to night, making their traversal trivial the more hands Guy is aware enough to use. The cellar extends outward in a grid of pillars and braces reaching up higher than the rest of the house. At the top of one specific climbing route is the attic.

Passing through a trap door Guy enters a barren peaked room lined with sheet rock and carpet like any other room in his house. And of course, there was the door at the other end, precariously leading to what appears to be nowhere. Light stain, brass handle, and again, no one to convince him either way. It may be a dream, but when that man made such a huge deal out of it Guy knew it couldn't lead anywhere good.

Or could it?

This isn't the same Guy who happened upon this room two weeks ago during an open house. He's strong, versatile, he can take a drop if that's all it really is. And if there's anything wrong, he'll wake up, right? One of his arms twists the doorknob while three more get ready to pummel whatever comes out. If it's all clear, in he'll go.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Once Guy had left Bernard had made the most of being alone in the pool as he could. The pool was sort of comforting compared to the gym, to those on the outside you couldn't really see what was under the water and it was nice and buoyant. The only real pain came from breathing when he'd exercised, which while he knew was supposed to be good for him was a limit he never pushed. Once his swimming was over Bernard showered, got dressed and went back to his room. He explored around on the system and found a few private servers, which he guessed must have been set up by I.T. That was kind of neat he supposed, he made a new character, a beastman thief as he hadn't played one and got a start on the second area by the time Dr. Morgan called for him. The discussion went on a while and Bernard felt uncomfortably like he was in an inquisition. While the doctor probably got a decent idea that Bernard has some big self-confidence and image issues, Bernard was pretty quiet and withdrawn and did not volunteer much at all which meant that the doctor had to ask all the questions; which compounded the sense of an inquisition. Bernard also found out later that Maureen had committed suicide which kind of stunned him. He'd never been so close to such injury, except for that time when he was in high school. He was even more quiet and subdued after that and by the time he went to bed he'd gotten up to about level 20 in Realms of Battle. It wasn't so hard when you know the optimum paths anyway.

Maybe it was this he reflected, that caused him to once again dream of the Evershadow Sepulchre. The boss was dead though and neither it or his party were around. In fact he was alone and without loot which was equal parts strange and annoying. But even more weird was how...real it all felt. Bernard almost had to run a mental mantra in his head to remind him that he was in fact dreaming. Were the pills supposed to make you lucid dream? He didn't know much about it but the whole thing felt pretty strange. But all that was kind of beside the point, the fact was he was alone in this empty place. He couldn't hear anything and there didn't seem to be anything around, no enemies or even ambient creatures. All that was left was the path onwards further into the dungeon or this door. Bernard didn't really want to hang around in an empty dream though, so he figured he might as well open the door and see where it lead to.

So he did.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Standing with his hands on his hips, Izzie stares at the door for a good long time. He shakes his head, looks down at his shoes for a moment, then walks around the door slowly. When he comes back to the front, he stops in front of it again for a few moments. Then he throws his hands up in the air in frustration.

"What the hell." He reaches out, grabs the knob, and shoves the door open as he steps through.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara Planchart

For so long, Lara's dreams have been nothing but vague confusion. She'd never really remembered them, and sleep had never been a release or respite. Anxiety and distress as she tried to fall asleep, a short blip of nothing, and at the very best a few minutes of groggy nonsense in the morning before she returned to her usual simmering near-panic.
Now, she's just confused. The mirrors... the mirrors are the same? The same as last night, and the fogginess has returned. The cool calm from a lack of anything, chilled misty air. She could just stay like this forever. Feels so nice.

But there's a door.

Well.
See where this goes. Maybe it gets even better.

So I open the door, and step through, and smile.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
????

The scene is a curving walkway out of some medieval castle. One side of the walkway is lined with high-arched openings, and overlooks a quick-flowing river; on the opposite bank lie fields of verdant green, brilliant in the streaming sunlight. In the distance, a forest of deciduous trees stands, seeming somehow dark against the clear blue skies, like a fairytale haunted wood.

The other side of the walkway is lined with doors. While the walkway is finite in length, and could easily be traversed in a matter of minutes, the number of doors along the side does not seem to be limited by mere space--there are definitely more of them than should fit, and focusing on them too long causes headaches. Each door is marked by a symbol, burnt into the wood. Each symbol is unique, and some of them are glowing with a mystical light. The doors at each end of the hallway are not so marked, and somehow, even on casual observation, these doors seem to lack the same mystical importance as those lining the wall.

Guy emerges from a door marked with a sign of a hand into this walkway. To his left, emerging simultaneously, are a man recognizable as one of the Wave Four candidates--Axel, was it?--though with features distinctly more canine or lupine than in the waking world, stepping out of a door marked with a silhouette of a bulldog on a leash. Past Axel, what appears to be a red-hued demon is emerging from a door marked with a horned demoniac skull. On Guy's right, what appears to be an android or robot, stepping out from a door marked with a blocky humanoid figure. Past him, Lara emerges from a door marked with a labyrinthine knot design, looking just as she does in the waking world. None of these symbols are glowing.

Izzie, Lara and Bernard encounter similar scenes, though with a creature made entirely of numerous hands standing where Guy is--not that they recognize anyone but Axel and Lara, at this point.

Perched in one of the arches sits a person who looks like some kind of cartoon character, dressed in a green tunic with a floppy red cap, blonde hair, and brown trousers with knee high boots, playing on a set of pipes. He stops and turns to regard Guy, and a grin breaks across his cartoony face.

"You finally came out!" he says, in a voice Guy recognizes as another of the Third Wave, Jonas. It's a bit incongruous hearing the voice of the gangly 20 year old emerging from the cartoon character--about as incongruous as the cartoonish appearance he's adopted here with the surroundings, or with the other occupants of the hall. "We'd started taking bets on if you would, you know. Surprised you never noticed us peeking into your dream--nice house, by the way!" He turns to the others. "And welcome to the new arrivals! I'm Jonas. I was just hanging out, waiting to see if any of you would come through tonight. Don't mind that the others aren't around, by the way, everyone's got projects..."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Guy Vann

"JONAS!" The hand creature roars as he rumbles himself toward the cartoon creature in a disorganized shuffle. "GIMME FIVE, BRO!" Guy extends five hands toward him, turning around him mouth to what was the back of his body to talk to the fourth-wavers. He only really recognizes Lara, of course. "HOW DO I LOOK? HAHA!" In order for the others to make the connection Guy claps a few pairs of hands above his head like a mohawk. Two more hands spread out in presentation of Guy's form.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Jonas slaps all five of Guy's outstretched hands at once, grinning widely--it seems like he is about as elastic as one would expect of a cartoon character.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Looking fine!"
I grin at him. Memories of the 'real' world are fragmented, but yeah, mohawk guy.

I look around, relaxing. This definitely feels better. Much better. Hm, a cartoon person? 'Jonas.' Don't think Lara met him. So hard to remember, either way...
Well, regardless, I smile and wave.
"Nice to meet you, Jonas. So, what's all this then?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Jonas spreads his arms wide, and adopts a slightly vacant expression Amazing how expressive cartoons can get!.

"This is the dreeeeeeeam, man, the dreeeeeeeeeeeeam!"

He doubles over laughing after a moment.

"Sorry! It's true, though. This is sort of like a hub, a central spot in dreamland. It was around before any of us got here, according to the First Wave folks. You'll meet 'em, eventually. Mostly. There's a lot of talk about who it belongs to and how it works, but...yeah."

"The doors, they lead to everyone else's dreams. The signs show whose if you know how to read 'em. When they're lit up like that, it means the dreamer's in there, and not in someone else's dream or out here. You can go poking around in other people's dreams if you want, but it gets iffy if you wanna mess with them on their own turf. There's plenty of stuff to explore out here, too--whoever's been dreaming this has a really cool imagination, man."

"Where it gets weird, well...there's other people, sometimes. Sometimes they know who and where they are, sometimes they don't, but not all of them are from Earth, or at least they say they're not, and us here at Oneiros? We're the only ones who are on the crazy drug. Which reminds me...do NOT report to them about this place or what's actually going on in here. That's like, rule one. The government is up to some kind of mind control poo poo or something with this drug, at least that's what the others figure. We're up to our necks in conspiracy theorists here. Probably once everyone notices the new doors we'll get some kind of roundtable going on--there's actually a Round Table down the hall, with Excalibur and everything, by the way. Me, I just like goofing off and playing around with dreamstuff, so I don't really listen to the grumps and their theories."

Jonas shrugs.

"Sorry. That's about it for the short version, I think. You can do all kinds of cool poo poo here, if you work at it, you can explore other people's dreams, and it's a place where the science types can't hear what we talk about."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Alrighty. Thanks!"
Seems kind of odd that no-one would've spilled the beans by now, but whatever. Can look into that later.
I smile again and start off along the walkway, just picking a random direction. A bit curious about the 'roundtable' and the main hall.

As I walk, something the jester said itches the back of my mind. 'Dreamstuff'? I wonder...

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Guy

The bellowing tones down a bit from Guy as he seems to cartwheel around Jonas getting a grip on the area. "I CAN'T--Ahem, I can't believe it. The government. poo poo, I gotta scratch out my dream draft. I think the door's in there. ROCK ON!" He gets distracted by a particular building in the fringe of his "vision." The entrance to the Round Table. "Sweet, you got the right Angles on this masonry." A few hands grasp the bricks for confirmation as he chuckles at a stupid historian joke.

Aw, hell with it. Guy starts crawling all over the façade encompassing the Round Table howling like a gorilla.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Hey much as I'd like to take credit for some of this place, it ain't mine. Mine's a lot more cartoony."

Axel is, for his part, being very quiet.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

There was a moment when Bernard walked through the door when things...changed. Suddenly his perspective shifted and a big red muzzle filled part of his field of vision, also he had a tail and he looked at his hands they were now red with leathered skin, spikes and clawed ends. But most of all Bernard felt strong, powerful and more confident than he had in ages. He crossed his arms while what was going on was explained, feeling like the pose suited his currently form. His new tail swished a little behind him, the only indicator to his mood beyond the generally fire and brimstone grim visage his dream body presented. When Bernard spoke his voice was distorted, a deep voice that had echoes and growls that matched expectations of his form.

"So, if you're not all a figment of my dream, that means we're sharing dreams. Like a telepathic connection...that's quite a drug they're giving us if so." Bernard mused and then turned to Axel. "Yo Axel, why so quiet? You've been pretty noisy so far." Speaking to other people and speaking his mind was easier here, somehow Bernard just didn't see why he should care so much about what others thought.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Axel stares. "Bernard? What the HELL is going on? This is ridiculous! What the hell kind of dream is this? You don't believe any of this, do you?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard chuckled a little bit, an action that came entirely too easy to his current form. "Perhaps not. We have two options though. Either this is a very lucid and sophisticated dream, in which case everything in it is just a projection of your conscious, subconscious and framed by elements of the world you've perceived. The other option is that somehow, the drug given to us has managed to induce all of this. Shall we do an experiment? When we meet after we wake up I'll make a gesture." Bernard says and unfolds his arms, bring his hands up to his head and making to bull styled devil horns with his hands to match the pair his form actually had. "If you reply yes we'll know that we're sharing a reality in here. Otherwise I'm sure you'll be sure to make me know how much of an idiot I look like." Bernard shrugs after that. "There's not enough to go on now to say whether or not it's real. Just take it at face value for now and we can worry about it later."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

The robot, Izzie, has stood a bit apart as introductions are being made, peering up at sky and out into the distance, then back to the doors and the walkway. He looks over at Jonas eventually. "What do the scientists think is happening?"

His voice comes out calm, and a bit tinny. More HAL 9000 than Robbie the Robot, but still clearly artificial. Distant. Cool. Izzie pauses at the sound of it, and peers down at his own hands, turning them over curiously.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

{Dream of the Dead - ???Stage Place???}

They’re staring at me. Won’t look away. Condemning me with eyes full of hurt.

I’m sitting on an empty stage, legs hanging over the side, looking down at the two women who had killed themselves over something I said. We don’t know that! Quit forcing guilt down our throats! I did know it, though. I’d been lying to myself long enough to recognize when I’m shifting the blame, however subconscious or whatever it may be.

“What do you want from me?” I ask the ghosts; partly in a bitter act of intentional ignorance. I know I’m dreaming. I know the sorrow-stricken faces before me are nothing more than manifestations of my own self-loathing. And I know what they would want – me to join them. ‘Cept if there were an afterlife after all, I definitely wouldn’t go to the same place. Perhaps they were right. What’s the use of living if my only purpose in life seems to be hurting other people?

Except I didn’t want to go out like that. Couldn’t. That would be turning my back on Chris completely, or at least that’s what she would see. No, my plan was always to have someone take care of the deed for me – another cheap cop-out, I suppose. So its a loving great excuse to get into as many confrontations as possible, make as many enemies as I can and generally be a nasty bitch – though the irony of this cyclical behavior is not lost on me; it just gives me even more reason to hate myself, knowing that I’m perpetrating incidents like what happened with Maureen intentionally. Surely one day some vengeful lover, or gang banger, or family member will carry out my inevitable execution; and with that I’ll deal my final blow to the last person I really have feelings for: Heart.

Angel would be so loving pissed at me right now, and I couldn’t blame her. What the hell is my problem? Is it all really just because I wanted to be a strong, protective brother instead of a weak, scared-shitless sister? I guess I have pretty sexist intra-personal views after all, if that’s true. Seems like another line of bullshit. What if it had nothing to do with guarding Chris? What if I’d always felt that way, and just used the traumatic experience as a red-herring to convince myself that I wasn’t gender-hosed?

The ghosts don’t answer me, they just keep staring – my silent audience. There’s the door… perhaps an exit to this misery? Maybe they’ll find me in the morning, all twisted and tangled in the headgear, like Sister Christian was.

“RIP, and gently caress off already.”

I get off my rear end and open the door.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
As several of the dreamers (Oneironauts?) head down the walkway to enter the chamber of the Round Table, from another doorway emerges a familiar-looking man.

Drew recognizes Lara ahead, and Axel with more feral, canine or lupine features...and a robot, a cartoon character, a big ol' demon, and a thing made up of hands.

Just after Nil emerges (in dream-form now, of course) from his door, another door opens --marked with a silhouette of a bear--and Iris Kim steps out, dressed in a beautiful hanbok. There is something else there, behind her, surrounding her, a sort of don't-mess-with-me sense.

"Hey, behind us," Axel says, nervously. Apparently his hearing's improved...? Iris definitely spots Drew, too, and seems to be on her guard around the strange man...not to mention the hand-thing and the demon.

Within the chamber of the Round Table, there's the aforementioned table--it is big, circular, stone, and more imposing than those three facts alone would imply. There's something about it that feels mythical and larger than life.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

8:54 AM <Morphball> HiKaizer: 6 = 2d6(3,1)+2
Bernard has no idea about the bear thing!
9:49 AM <Morphball> HiKaizer: 10 = 2d6(6,1)+3
Bernard actually totally knows about the bear thing.

The large demon Bernard considered the table, and for a brief instant had a rather mad urge to see it shattered beneath his hands. He paused as he tensed up for a moment then relaxed. No, those were just stories and he wasn't an actual demon or anything. He was just letting himself run with the dream a little. Yet, the thought was tempting. To distract himself from the table, Bernard asked Jonas a question. "I don't suppose you know who someone might be? He looks..." And then Bernard described the man that appeared in his dream to Jonas.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 21, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"We all saw him. None of us know who he is, though. Sometimes, that guy or some other weird poo poo comes through...just roll with it. Some of the others got theories, but not me, man, I'm just enjoying the trip."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I circle the table, watching the room. Certainly very interesting.
Odd about that man not being a known quantity.

Idly, I examine the table, the chairs, thinking back to that hall with the many doors, and my mind drifts back to the comment about 'dreamstuff.'
Dreamstuff... dreamstuff... could I just... reach out and grab it?

Hmm.

Yeah, I try.

Should I roll? Wits + Shaping is 2d6+3.

e: <Morphball> zachol: 11 = 2d6(2,6)+3

zachol fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 21, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Roll it, but what exactly are you trying to shape? Just, a handful of dreamstuff?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"So are we waiting for the others, or are we allowed to do our own things?" Bernard asks eyeing the table, still with a mind to try and break it while trying hard not to look at it or think about it.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

<~Ridley> yeah you get a handful of dream.
<~Ridley> it's amorphous
<~Ridley> and sort of slippery.

Lara

I stare at the glob of... something. 'Dreamstuff,' huh?

I wander off away from the table, sort of to my own area, and experiment with... 'shaping' it, I guess. I'm remembering long afternoons spent painting, experiments with sculpture.
It feels really nice.

Nothing specific, more just exploring what the limits of this are on my own. Infodump!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie waves politely at Kim when she appears, but his attention is drawn by the table. He walks up to it, then hops onto the top and goes to the center. He stops and looks up, then back at the other dreamers. "I think this is its own place. Not just a shared dream." He turns to the more experienced ones. "How far have you explored?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Exploration's a little weird," Jonas says. "It keeps going, beyond forever out here. You can run to the edge of the map, and watch more world get created. Aren't there a couple more of you newbies?"

Okay! Dreamstuff, as a substance, is extremely malleable, kind of slippery, and looks almost exactly like nothing and everything. If not focused on, it dissipates quickly, or transmutes itself into some local matter appropriate to the dream surroundings. If in a forest, for example, unattended dreamstuff might turn into leaves and twigs.

Shaping dreamstuff requires a roll. Taking local dream-matter and converting it into dreamstuff requires a roll. The difficulty is based on the complexity of the transmutation and how well it fits the dream. Turning a handful of dreamstuff in an Arthurian dream like the one you're in now into a dagger is much easier than turning the same handful of dreamstuff into a laser-knife.

Shaping other people's dreams is bad form, and trying to shape living dreams is a really, really good way to make the target pretty ticked off.

Keeping dreamstuff in a shape takes effort if it's not something "local". The aforementioned dagger would probably stick around and last for awhile, the energy knife would probably go away pretty quick. Permanence? Pretty damned difficult, especially given the protean nature of dreams.

There's more to know about it, but you'll need to experiment more, or in some different ways, to learn that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"Well..." Bernard says and takes stock of the group. "Well there's me, Axel, Iris, Izzie and Lara. Guy's not part of our wave but here. I guess that leaves Moon, Fatima and Andrea." Bernard says with a slight tone of dislike on the last name. "Maureen is...uh...well she won't be coming." He adds and turns to look at Andrea's dream form. "Is he one of your guys?" He asks Jonas. Ignore the table. Ignore the table. It's not doing anything, just let it be.

• Locked thread