Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Her mouth was sewn shut but her eyes were still wide
Gazing through the fog to the other side

{"Monsters Inc.?" - The Dream World}

First thing I notice is that I’m a lot bigger. It’s funny how your perception can change so much with another foot or so. It’s like I have on the most jacked loving heels ever. And on top of that my arms and legs feel stronger somehow. Then the realization hits me, I’m having one of those guy dreams again!

…and there are a lot of weird mofos in this one. Jesus, what is that thing?!

Entering the strange room filled with strange creatures, I let the surrounding conversations clue me in. Except this is a dream, so they’re just regurgitating our own subconscious thoughts, right?

Compared to some of the others, I’m pretty low profile; so its easy to hang towards the back, lean up against the wall and soak it all in. I gather that this is a pretty common occurrence, everyone coming together for some kind of meeting. Supposedly the Lab Rats Who Came Before are here as well; and they’re showing us the ropes; and apparently things like How to impersonate a Pixar film are pretty high on the agenda. A round table? Really?

A huge loving demon snarls in my general direction, lovely. “Ah… no. I’m actually part of Wave 2.5. Codename: O.W.L.F.O.B. Can’t say anymore, sorry. Classified.”

hctibyllis fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Jonas eyes Drew, a smirk on his face, but doesn't object to the lie.

Axel looks confused. "Owl Fob? What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?"

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

I shrug at the wolf-man, “Oops-We-Left-a-Few-On-the-Bus. Thus the ‘.5’. It was a terrible miscalculation that was immediately kept under wraps. Most of the others were shuffled off to the gas chamber behind the volley ball courts. Awful business, that. The question you should be asking is, “Why did they let an rear end in a top hat like him live?”; but you’ll be a lot safer not knowing the answer. Trust me. By the way, been around Puerto Rico lately? I think they have your mug on a few wanted posters. Dreadful things done to the goats down there. Just dreadful. I don’t suppose you care to explain that little coincidence? Perhaps we better just let sleeping dogs lie, yes?”

While I was rambling off the BS, I realized there was something I was interested in here after all.

“Hey, anyone seen that new guy? Goes by the name ‘Moon’, or something?”

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Axel scowls. "Nah, that rear end in a top hat's not here, neither's the dyke or the Japanese woman with the weird name."

Iris' expression as she regards Axel is one of utter disgust and loathing.

"The only new doors left," Jonas comments, "are the butterfly and the scimitar. As you know, being from Wave 2.5, of course." Hard to read a cartoon character who doesn't want to be read. "If you're interested in finding this Moon, you could go looking...?"

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

I nod at the Decidedly-Not-Disney character, and turn to face the two doors. My gut’s telling me to go through Butterfly. Why aren’t they out of there yet? gently caress I hope nothing’s happened like with Maureen. By the way, which door did we come out of? And what’s up with the symbols? This place is totes cray-cray.

Unfortunately my inner monologue still seems to be stuck in ‘girl mode’, despite inhabiting a more suitable form. That said, I definitely feel a bit more swagga-licious than usual. Maybe the rest will come with time? I can only assume I’m going to be doing this for quite awhile yet. Why not have some fun?

I casually sweep the new dark hair from my face and make an ultra-suave quarter turn to face the door with the pretty Monarch insignia. I try to open it…

[OOC: Not sure how far I can go, or if the door would even open! And what’s my symbol? :D]

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Oops. Your symbol is eyes--when lit, one glows reddish, the only sigil so far to show that hue. It's not lit, now, though.

The butterfly door opens quite easily. Immediately on the other side, in stark contrast to the bright afternoon outside the arches, it is night, and instead of an interior, the door seems to lead to a grove in some deep woods. Despite that, there is easily enough light by which to make out the surroundings, coming from what appears to be fireflies, luminescent hanging moss, glowing fungus on the ground, and a strange, softly glowing illumination without apparent source.

The area has a palpable aura of safety and peace.

"Well, isn't this interesting," Jonas comments from directly behind Drew. He extends a hand, one finger outstretched, and one of the fireflies lands on it with a giggle--not a firefly at all, but a tiny winged woman, a sprite or pixie.

"Ever seen anything like this one before, Owls old chap?" Jonas inquires.

At the edge of the grove, there is a dirt path leading deeper into the woods.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Bernard Smith

The demon figure would have scowled if its face was capable of an expression that did not look like a permanent scowl. The end result was that it appeared to be much the same. "Well, I'm guessing that rear end in a top hat is probably Andrea. Wave 2.5 and a gas chamber. What an idiot." Bernard paused for a moment, surprised at how easy it was to spew out such vitriol himself. Before he'd always been too nervous he'd incite some kind of response. Now he didn't really care so much, he'd just be rude back. If he burned a few bridges who gave a gently caress? It was a pretty amazing revelation for the always conscious and withdrawn Bernard. "I'd say with a name like Moon he'd be a werewolf or something, but you seem to have cornered that market Axel." He noted and looked at the doors. He decided to follow after Andrea and Jonas. "Let's go see Andrea make a fool of herself."

Bernard steps into the butterfly door and then begins to walk down the path, presumably after Jonas and Andrea.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Saberwulf, 12 hour warning.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Asimov/Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Izzie hops off the table and follows the big demon, still looking around at anything. "We'll all make fools of ourselves at some point here, I suspect." A little bit of an accent is there, something Slavic. Russian perhaps.

"And she - he? - Nils didn't expect to be believed. I thought it was funny actually." Izzie delivers this with apparent sincerity, but completely deadpan. "I wonder what shape Moon has here." He sets off down the path, still looking around at everything with open curiosity.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

I step forward, curious.

I look a bit different; I've fashioned a robe for myself out of the 'dreamstuff.' It's obvious that this substance responds to will, and there's no better way to grow my skill than to be constantly working at it. When my focus slips, the coat reverts the way this stuff always does, usually into something appropriate. A few times now it's just gone into a medieval dress, usually white. Nearly the same thing.
It's a bit of a cheat, since I'm holding it into the form of cloth, and clothing, and not just pure stuff. Too difficult otherwise, too uncomfortable.

As the others file in to the dream ('Moon'? there was a man named 'Moon'? so odd...), I follow.

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

I was completely not expecting what I saw in the Butterfly room. Compared to the very mundane setting of my own ‘Dream Room’, it was like night and day. Could it be that Moon was already in his alternate form, despite not having exited? Or perhaps we just perceive other people’s rooms differently than our own? Very confusing stuff.

“Never seen anything like this before,” I respond to Mr. Toon Town. “It’s pretty amazing… and beautiful. Careful what you touch, though. Who knows what could happen.”

The path opens up into a glade up ahead, but suddenly I’m hit with a deep feeling of apprehension – like I’m trespassing on holy ground or something. poo poo, for all I know that might be actually be true. I don’t care much for silly spirituality or pretentious religion, but this is someone’s dream for gently caress sake. It just doesn’t seem right to barge in without warning.

I call out, trying to sound as non-threatening as I can. “Hey… Moon? You in there? Everything okay?”

I’m eyeing the little faerie creatures warily when I notice the crowd of dreamers coming through the door behind us. Huh. Wonder if Moon is going to be happy with everyone bum-rushing his little private playground. Oh well, can’t stop them anyways… or can we?

[OOC: Can I roll to manipulate the others into backing off? If so, what’s my target number, and would my roll be 3d6 + 3?]

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
You can roll, sure. The others get a resist roll, though, of their Conviction, if they want to bull ahead anyway.

Down the path a ways, the forest opens up into another clearing. Off to one side of the clearing is a magnificent-looking four-poster bed, and next to it, a dresser and wardrobe with a mirror.

In the center of the clearing, though, is a giant cocoon. As Drew approaches (with the others behind him, presumably, by at lest some distance) the cocoon trembles, and splits open. Drew sees (and, from the end of the path, blocks the view of) a young woman, her back towards the path, rise up, unclothed. Her hair is long, slightly wavy, and a deep blue color, her ears are long and slightly pointed, but the thing that draws the most attention is the wings. Beautiful butterfly wings, formed of pure light, of shades of luminescent blues and violets, unfurl from her back. They are no brighter than the rest of the surroundings, despite being apparently made of nothing but illumination.

Then the girl turns, stretching, spots Drew, and cries out in alarm and surprise, crouching down and covering herself, blushing.

"Wh-what are you doing in my dream?" she demands.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

"Oh my."
Luckily I haven't gotten close enough to actually see this 'Moon' person, but the girl's cry is unmistakably indignant. I reach forward, pulling back on the demon and the robot.
"Probably shouldn't have come this far in, eh? Come on, let's bail."

hctibyllis
Aug 24, 2012

Hey it’s… HOLY poo poo OOPS!

I quickly turn around, immediately aware that I’m in a male body, and the (Faerie?) girl is probably really freaked out that some random dude just barged in on her while she’s undressed.

I block the animated character’s view with my body, “Dude, turn around! Cartoons can comprehend modesty, yes? Use those wacky limbs to stop the others.”

Before I do anything else, I call out to those approaching as well, “Everyone ABORT! Please return to Camelot, ASAP, unless you wanna make an already creepy situation even worse! Vacate the premises immediately, thanks!!

Manipulate the Masses (Manipulate them Asses!) = 13 (Well not my best form, then!)

I turn my head slightly, speaking in a low tone over my shoulder to the naked woman. “Dreadfully sorry about this. If you see Moon, will you tell him Nil wants to chat? My apologies again, we’ll be leaving now.”

And with that I begin to walk back down the path, hauling the Roger Rabbit refugee with me.

hctibyllis fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Aug 23, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Nil? Uh...you look different. You just...you surprised me."

The girl's voice is uncertain.

Jonas, for his part, had already turned around, and cartoonish steam is coming out of his ears--apparently this was his first time seeing a naked girl.

"Hang on--" says the girl, and the sound of the wardrobe opening can be heard. "I'll just get dressed...you don't have to go, Nil."

Could that be...?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Sorry for the intrusion!"

I give an awkward smile and continue dragging the others out.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy

Before Guy could even peek at what's going on, some guy is yelling at them to leave. Welp, no sense dragging it on. Guy opens up the door and waves everyone out. "Come on, nothin' to see here. Move along."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Well, the whole fairy thing was kind of...unexpected, but dreams were weird. On the other hand there was a much more important issue going on. As they were led out by the suddenly embarrassed Andrea, Bernard grinned (a little disturbingly given his form) at Axel and said; "Totally. Called it."

However since Moon had been located Bernard wasn't really that interested in it beyond that. He still didn't like Moon, although he wondered if the two people in opposite gendered bodies would mean something. Although he wasn't even convinced this wasn't just a really detailed dream due to the drugs he had been given. He would figure it out in the morning. But for now, Bernard was happy to be jostled out by the females of the group and led back to the corridor. Once he was there he'd have a look around and see what other doors there were to check in to. He'd also see if he could figure out which door was his as well.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 23, 2013

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Back at the walkway, there are some unfamiliar faces. One appears to be a hard-boiled detective straight out of a noir film, trenchcoat, fedora, and all, and a woman who appears to be some kind of motherly dryad--green, leafy vines for hair, bark-like flesh, and an outfit made of large leaves, stitched together to cover her.

The detective looks Bernard up and down. "Nice," he comments dryly. "Guess you're one of the new guys, huh? Lemme ask you somethin'--how many of your wave aren't in here?"

The woman frowns. "Come on, Bob, give the kid a break. It's his first night in here, and you're already gonna start in on that?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I glance at the scimitar door. No point in intruding again.
A moment spared for Gruff McTrench, and then I look down at my robes. Again with the white gown. Wonderful. Must've lost my focus.

I sigh, then wander off towards the round table.

I should paint.
I wonder how hard it would be to shape together some gear. Easel, canvas, brush, all should be easy, but getting the paint and pigments right? Hmm, could take some doing.
Oh, but an apron first.

Wits + Shaping, 2d6+3=12.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Pretty readily, an apron is shaped.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

Excellent! And now... the rest!

30#2d6+3. Easel 9, canvas 11, good brush 14, other brushes 9, 6 (probably poo poo), 9, big one 10, small thin one 10, some kind of strappy carrying case 9, a palette for 10, then like twenty jars of paint for 14 (the good purple), 8, 7 (lovely brown), 12, 8, 11, 6 (thinner/cleaner), 10, 14 (good pure white, big old jar of that), 10, 12, 12, 8, 10, 8, 8, 11, 10, 13, 11.

Oh and then a jaunty poofy hat.

2d6+3=12.

Ha ha! And now to go find a nice spot outside. Are there doors there?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
That is an awful lot of dreamstuff to maintain...

There is a door. The newcomers seem surprised.

"That's...already?" says the dryad one.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Kid?

Christ he was old enough to have children in case if he could ever find a girlfriend. He had a job and paid his taxes. Kid indeed. "Why would I know that? Also why is it my business?" He got the feeling that the guy expected him to be responsible for things and Bernard had no idea why. The fedora clad man was a little impertinent for a figment of his dream.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I walk outside, humming to myself, looking around at the trees and things. Something's itching at the back of my head, feels like those whispers from the mirror room, and I'm not... sure... feels...

I stumble, a sudden migrane forcing me to my knees, and the case and easel slip from under my arms. poo poo!
The paints are all scrambled together, and then the easel is just this bundle of sticks and poo poo, and then when I look at the case again it's just... this odd smear, leather stained with brown paint, brown sticks chewed up at one end, and a cracked piece of brown bark.

Well huh.

Grumbling, I take off the apron, toss it away, not even paying attention as it probably disperses into nettles or something, and stalk towards a clear section of ground. Alright. One, chisel. Two, hammer. Three, giant block of marble. Three things, easy.

And the chisel is kinda dull, hammer is fine but whatever, and the marble is great.
Not much I can do with a dull chisel, though. Eh, give it a try, and start carving. This, at least, I know I'm good at.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Might want to be careful how much of that you do, Miss," the dryad says, walking up to Lara. "I'm Destiny. I've been around here awhile, and things I've heard, and seen, some of the others do, well it's pretty drat amazing...but it can be addictive, too, and there's some who just...haven't come back."

Meanwhile, the fedora-wearing dude narrows his eyes at Bernard. He looks like an older fellow, weatherbeaten and haggard, and his next words are spoken in a growl.

"Listen, kid, you're new around here so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. We are dealing with a conspiracy, and it's time to pick a side. You wanna be part of the solution, or part of the problem?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I look at the dryad person, half-smiling.
"Mm, thanks for the warning. Lara."
I look at the mostly unmarked block of marble, then shrug and resume chiseling.
"How and when do we have to leave from here? Morning, waking up, like that?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard frowned at the man. "Delightful, you must be the insane aspect of my personality. Freud would be happy. So look here, I've been giving this dream the benefit of the doubt and riding along so far but frankly inside of a dream you can't give me any evidence that I am sharing it with anyone. So just go back to your crazy box in my head. If by an amazing confluence of improbabilities and parascience that this does turn out to be some kind of shared dream then maybe I'll give this some thought. So if you're just going to be crazy, run along before I try to unmake you or something." Bernard replies and shoos him away with his hands. Christ talking with his dream figures like that was bizarrely self-referential and crazy.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Guy

Bernard is being unreasonable, but Guy could care less. The two of them don't look like themselves, so there's nothing he can do except gesture wildly. Instead, Guy wheels around on his spinning handsprings, feeling around for something awe-inspiring in Camelot.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Without warning, Bob winds up and tries to slug Bernard in the gut. A quick twist and Bernard avoids it, returning the strike at Bob, who likewise dodges, and tries to headbutt--without success.

"Excuse me a moment," Destiny says matter-of-factly to Lara, then turns and extends her arms upwards, an expression of concentration marking her face.

Just as Bernard lands a grazing blow on Bob, thick, rubbery vines wrap themselves around both of the combatants and yank them apart.

"Now both of you, listen here!" Destiny yells. "I'm about to put the pair of you in time out if you don't learn to act like grown-rear end men!"

Axel's eyes bug. "Holy gently caress."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I look back, taking in the dryad's... whatever she did. Hmm.
So is that because she's a dryad? Nature spirit or something? Or was that shaping?

Very curious.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

He was panting a little, hot and sulphurous breaths so the vines caught him by surprise. Bernard stretched the vines a little and looking at Bob, before looking at Destiny. "Hmm, I don't suppose you'll really care that he started it?" He suggests with a kind of goofy, horrifying, demonic grin. Bernard hadn't been in a fight he had arguably won, or at the least got the last word or hit in, and he was running a bit on adrenaline right now. "This is, admittedly, a very lucid dream." He added without anything much else to say.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"I really don't care WHO started it, it ends now." Destiny says, folding her arms. Another vine swats Axel upside his head. "And you, no cussin'."

"Bernard, you're being a dipshi--a dip," Iris comments. "All of this and you're still thinking this is just some regular dream?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard grunted a laugh, grunted because moving your chest far when vines are constricting you is difficult. "Normal? He-eeeeck no." He begins, changing word partway through after Destiny's comment and reaction to Axel. "But really. People have been testing for signs of psychic activities for decades. There have been countless studies that have tried to prove its existence. Telepathy, Clairvoyance, Telempathy, Telekinesis, Prescience, none of these things actually exist. Further more on a more practical level, if they were somehow digitising all of our impulses, translating them and then transmitting them to everyone else they'd have to know what was going on. Or possibly you'd be experiencing everything everyone else is at once. The chance that a simple drug can awaken some hypothetical mechanism of the brain to share information with others is ludicrously implausible. Sure, if they were chopping up our heads and giving us some kind of complete therapy, the kind of procedure you don't recover from in a day and is kind of obvious when your head has stitches and bandages, there is absolutely no way you should rationally assume that this is a shared dream. An amazingly vivid and lucid dream is a much more sane, plausible and likely explanation. Which is why until I can get some kind of proof in the real world that we have all shared experiences here I'm just assuming that this is a very amazing dream and rolling with it. Occam's Razor."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

I lean towards Destiny, waving at Bob.
"What did you mean by that, earlier, starting in on what? There was a girl that committed suicide early on, at least that's my understanding... is there a regular problem about that?"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Destiny frowns. "Suicide? No. They end up comatose. They stay here in the dreams, go off somewhere into the depths. As for you, Demon-Boy, how about this: just accept that this is all real and act with some drat manners. Is this all of you, or not? We got reasons for asking, and we'll tell you about 'em if you're gonna behave civilly. As for YOU, Bob, you know better."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"One girl committed suicide. At least I think so. Then there's the person behind that scimitar door, still closed, and the butterfly door has two of us behind it. I believe that's the extent?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Asimov/Isaac "Izzie" Wilson

Not particularly interested in the fight, Izzie follows Guy on his rolling quest through Camelot. He keeps stopping to look around at everything, then jogging to catch up with the many-handed one, and occasionally tosses a question at him. "Have you been here often? How many others are there here?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

He grinned a little when she cussed herself, although pointing it out would be pretty pointless. "If you stop calling me kid; I have a name, Bernard, and you are free to use it; then I can humour you for tonight. I'm still not going to start believing this is all real until I've got some decent proof." He says slightly pointedly and sighs. "Yeah Maureen is...gone. Fatimah, I think it was, we haven't seen yet.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Aug 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Suicide? Heard about that. Not likely related, just saying." Bob straightens his coat as Destiny's vines drop him and Bernard to the ground. "So things are consistent. Listen...they've lied to you about everything they said. Don't trust Oneiros--ANYONE from Oneiros is lying to you. There's been absolutely no one here given the placebo, like they said, and who knows what else they made up. They're up to something--and my bet is, they're on the verge of finding it."

"What Bob is trying to say," Destiny interjects, "is that just because they never found any kind of way to do this crap before don't mean they haven't found one now. And what we're all worrying about is what they mean to do with it if they have. So we lie in our dream records, and we dig around. If you want to help, we'll tell you more."

Meanwhile, Guy and Izzie walk through the door at the opposite end of the walkway to where the Round Table is located, and find themselves in Camelot's X-wing hangar.

• Locked thread