Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

"Hey, Nil. Let them do their jobs." Tycho stood, head cocked to the side, hands in her pockets. Her nonthreatening body language was entirely at odds with her tone of voice, which implied a complete lack of patience for this poo poo right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"What, and she's ever gonna come back? drat, like these people have any jobs other than disappearing us or loving with us."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Bernard Smith

"Everything happens so fast and it's hard. You can't rest when you sleep, and we're all powerless in the real world. There's...no time or way to really relax and...I dunno. Not think about things. I've been here 4 days and so much has happened. I'm just scared." Bernard said with a great deal of tiredness in his voice, the kind of emotional weariness you have when you get buffeted by so much going on.

"Don't worry about being lost though. It's not really like any of us have any clue what's going on. Some people have plans for...stuff...but I don't think they really know what's going on. Everything in the dreamworld has changed so much since we got here apparently. There are probably some kind of rules governing it, but if there are it might as well be like something from an unspeakable eldritch horror. None of it makes much sense to me at least."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

"I understand your concern.' Tycho's tone softened a bit. "But consider this." She nodded in the vague direction of the dormitories. "Bernard was the first to undergo a change, and he has not been locked up. He's as free to come and go as the rest of us. There's no reason to think things will be any different for Belle."

Turning to LeJuene, she continued. "I know we've butted heads a bit in the past couple days, but I trust you on this. So." Back to Nil. "Can we sit down, finish breakfast, and maybe stare daggers at one another if it makes you feel better? Please."

She offered a hand in conciliation.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yamamoto shrugs. "I...well, it's pretty obvious, I guess, what I was hoping for. Everyone here wants something out of this project, Bernard, but not all of us are big sinister plots. Most of us aren't. If there's anything I can do to help you out, well..."

~

Nil looks at Tycho's hand with barely disguised contempt as Belle accompanies LeJeune. "Why the hell are you getting involved, huh? You don't know anything about me, about her, about any of what we go through, so why are you getting involved?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho dropped the hand back to her side. Nil's outburst was setting her own temper to flare, and that was not going to help anything. She took a deep breath, let it out, and willed the quickly rising frustration go with it.

"You're right. I have no idea what either of you have dealt with in your lives. Belle was and still is dealing with some heavy issues. Issues I will freely admit I have an imperfect understanding of at best. Why does that matter? Everyone wants support in trying times and I happened to be the one to step up in this instance. Meanwhile, you strut around throwing dirty looks and attitude at people for having the nerve to horn in on your territory."

Tycho raised a hand to cut off any objections.

"I know what you're doing even if you don't. You've staked out Belle as "yours" and you resent the idea of people disrupting that little codependent bubble you're trying to build. Now, I could go into this for hours if I were inclined but I'm not your loving psychiatrist, so I'll keep this short. By all means, be a friend to Belle. But get your own poo poo sorted out first. Do not use her as an emotional crutch for whatever problems you have. Do not be an overbearing guardian. Do not try to socially isolate her. Am I clear?"

A pause.

"Now, if you're still pissed off at me, that's fine. If you want to break my nose, there's a boxing ring in the gym and we can have at it until you're satisfied."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nil's jaw clenches, as do her fists, through Tycho's harangue. It is several moments before she speaks, carefully, measured, and coldly furious.

"I'm not socially isolating anyone. I don't loving own anyone. You're so far off the mark I'd be surprised if you can find your rear end with a map and an rear end-finding radar. I'm trying to make sure she doesn't do something that's going to get her hurt. Like we've seen other people hurt in this loving place. All right? I don't wanna fight you, either. I'd like to break your nose, but it's not. Going to help."

She forces her fists to unclench.

"Why the hell do you suddenly care so much, anyway?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"Maybe. But that doesn't mean any of you are our friends either. Orders are orders, and you all value your jobs and security. Unless you want to end up in another secret government program where you might die." Bernard laughs bitterly at his black humour. It was not malicious intent in most cases that allowed evil to perpetrate, and it was the faceless worker following orders that allowed it all to happen. Bernard wasn't referencing a particular event or situation with his comments, but aside from Yamamoto he didn't really feel like any of the staff there really would care about him if their jobs demanded they didn't.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho let out a breath, ego well deflated. A glance to the side as she stepped back, slouching against a wall.

"poo poo. Alright. I deserved that. It's no excuse, but my previous job left me with some bad habits as regards uh, talking to people about certain things." A uncomfortable moment as Tycho stared at the floor, arms crossed. Eventually she glanced back up and gave Nil a quick once over.

"You're what, twenty? Somewhere around there? I'll spare you the tedium and just say when I was around that age, a lot of the things I said did apply to me until I got my poo poo together. So ten years on and here I am loving up in the other direction." She waved a hand dismissively. "Anyway, that's my problem to deal with. So, that's why I care so much. I was a crappy person, and now I do my best not to be, with obviously mixed results."

"And it's not like you're wrong to distrust these people. It's just, I think they realize now that they are dealing with poo poo way beyond what they expected. They are not going to risk the experiment by going Doctor Mengele on us."

Leaning forward, she kept her voice low. "Maybe it's crossed your mind, but if Bernard or Belle can do that, precisely what could an abused and very angry test subject do if pushed? I'm sure Hassan has had that thought."

Straightening back up, she resumed normal conversational tone. "So, ah. I apologize for assuming the worst of you, and for assuming you were going to jump immediately to violence." Another pause, as she considered something. "While I'm here putting my foot in my mouth, though, I'd like to ask. You look like a guy in the dream. Given what I understand of our forms there, I assume that is meaningful. Um." A nervous cough. "What I'm getting at I guess is should I be asking for your preferred pronouns here? I'm not taking the piss with you, this is a legit question."

For the first time, Tycho actually looks embarrassed.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The fight seems to go out of Nil. "What the gently caress. He." He shoves his hands into his pockets and glowers. "You're taking all the fun out of hating you."

"So," Jonas pipes up, from behind Tycho. "What's next?"

~~

"So you don't trust me, then?" Yamamoto seems hurt. "I guess I understand. I'd hoped to be...well, I guess it doesn't matter. I'll just go, then."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"gently caress I don't know!" Bernard exclaims with frustration. "I want to, but it's been four days and everything is...hosed. hosed so badly. I don't even know what you could do to help.Things are out of control and your bosses no matter what they might say or think, have no idea what's going on or what they're toying with! How am I supposed to trust anyone?!?" He was starting to get anxious and a little hysterical again. It was easier in the dream world, he felt more confident and in control. Bernard wished to himself that he could manage to feel like that here in the real world. Being a huge fire and brimstone demon was probably not a good idea, but feeling a little bit like one would help his feeling of helplessness a little.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

"Yeah, I get that sometimes. I'll probably say something stupid soon enough and give you a new reason."

Tycho ran a hand through her hair, than jumped as Jonas chimed in. She hadn't even heard him approaching.

"Ah, well. If you mean right now, I'm gonna kill time until Belle gets back. And since I'm doing my best to mend some rough patches, I should keep doing that. I'll, uh, see you both later, yeah?" A nod to Nil and Jonas.

Moseying back towards the dorms, Tycho headed towards Bernard's room. She took a moment to tuck her sunglasses into a pocket before hitting the buzzer. Hopefully he was in a better mood today. After a few minutes with no answer, she blew out a breath in mild annoyance. Well, she'd just make the rounds. The campus wasn't that big, he had to be around somewhere.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 16, 2015

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
computer troubles.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

Bernard was, unsurprisingly, found in the computer lab. Next to him was an Asian lady that Tycho had not seen before and the scene seemed tense and uncomfortable. For his part Bernard looked frustrated and confused when he looked up at Tycho entering, although he did not immediately say anything to her.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

"Good morning, Bernard. Uh, miss. I don't think we've met." Tycho gave the two of them a friendly wave, than coughed discreetly at the awkward atmosphere.

"...am I interrupting anything?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

This was awkward. "We were just discussing raiding." Bernard lied and looked to Yamamoto. She could introduce herself, introducing her seemed...rude?

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Stupid computer.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
"Yamamoto," Yamamoto introduces herself. "I work here. We were just talking about the online game we both play." She glances at Bernard, a little bit questioningly, but does not contradict him. "You, you must be Tycho, right? I've heard about...well, most of the patients, actually. You seem like a nice, no-nonsense sort."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"I don't think you remain a cop if you're a nonsense-sort." Bernard added lamely.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

"Ehm. I dunno about the nice bit. That's kind of why I'm here." She ran a hand through her hair as she flicked her eyes off to the side. "Alright, if I don't go ahead and do this we're just going to stand here all day mumbling and glancing at the floor and hoping an asteroid falls on us in a mutual mercy killing. Bernard, I'm sorry about the other day. That was out of line for me to talk to you like that. I'm sorry."

She looked him in the eyes as she spoke, sincere in her regret over that exchange. She hadn't been in the best of moods at the time but that was no excuse.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

The other day? He wondered for a moment then remembered in awful sensation his strange body and confusion and isolation. But she was apologising?

No one apologised to him, not sincerely.

Bernard began to cry as he managed to sniff out; "It's, it's okay." After having a big row and feeling awful with Yamamoto, this managed to break him in another way.

It wouldn't be too much of a logic leap to assume his conversation with Yamamoto had not been about video games.

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 20, 2016

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho didn't know Bernard that well, and she didn't think a hug would be quite appropriate despite wanting to console the man. She put a kindly hand on Bernard's shoulder while exchanging a glance with Yamamoto. A look that she hoped conveyed her feelings of 'Don't do or say something cruel right now, or so help me...'

"Here, let me get you a drink." A hopefully reassuring squeeze of the shoulder, and she stepped back and walked into the hall, glancing about for where she'd glimpsed that vending machine. "Uh, what do you like? Coke? Mountain Dew?" She called out over her shoulder.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"Um, orange is good. Sunkist, or Fanta I guess. Or just juice." He said both trying to be timid and to shout at the same time. Bernard otherwise remained silent and focused on trying to stop crying, not daring to look at Yamamoto.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

"A-hey."

Lara's there, in the hallway. Holding out a can. Two, even. She frowns, then glances out the window.
"We're not dreaming. Something is seriously wrong."

She sniffs, looks like she's about to say anything, then pauses, and tries again.
"Do we know what actually happened to that one girl? Scimitar girl... I'm having problems linking names, but you know who I mean, right? One from our batch. None of us... well, none of you actually saw the body, right?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho froze up upon seeing Lara. Apparently fighting off the invisible ninjas the other day had allowed her to absorb their powers of stealth.

"Uh." Her brain was blue screening as she tried to shift gears. "...Scimitar girl?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Lara

Lara screws up her face, trying to think.
"...Fatimah? She was... Japanese. But not. I think. Scimitar door stayed closed, she was gone the next morning, but I'm wondering whether she died-died or is in a coma or something. I think it's important."
She frowns.

"Or I decided it was important. Maybe it's only important for me, sorry. How are you? People seem stressed, here. Understandably, if they are dying."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Her brain scrabbled to get a handhold on something as Lara's words threw her entirely off balance. She was really, really good at doing that. So. Fatimah. Right. Tycho hadn't met her, only heard about her during that meeting the day after she got in.

"According to Doctor Kostas, Fatimah's in a coma. And yeah, I think that's important too. But um. Yeah. Stress. Not about the deaths. I mean, they aren't helping but that's not really..." poo poo. She was just entirely off her game right now. "You want to come in and sit down? I was just going to get Bernard a drink. Is uh. Is one of those cans for him?"

Tycho was unconsciously tugging at a braid of hair as she spoke, suddenly anxious for no reason she could say. She'd used to do that when she was little and scared of something, but she'd had that tell drummed out of her as a detective. Or so she thought.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Mmm. No. But he can have mine."
She glances at the can. Coke.
"Haha, now I know we're not dreaming. It would've been Fanta for sure. Come on, we'll get a couple more. There's some girl in there too, right?"

She spins, humming to herself.
"So a coma? poo poo. I mean, well I guess that's better than the alternative, but I really wanted to know whether she'd be stuck there still. See if I could find the Scimitar door again, get through, and if she was also dead, there'd be my answer."
She stops walking, suddenly, looking surprised, then starts again, shaking her head, a little ruefully.
"Oh! It was just important for me. Sorry. So, you guys, what've you been up to? Stress, but not just about the deaths?"

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"Hello?" Bernard asks somewhat confused and a little timid, especially considering his face was a little puffy and red because of his recent crying. He wiped his red eyes again and looked at Lara. She was strange and Bernard did not understand her. Her strangeness made her unpredictable and confusing, and thus she was a little frightening for him. But then Lara left and came back and he was quiet again.

"Why...do you want to find them? What could you do? What could we do? I don't think it would help them, or us." He muttered quietly.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"It would help me. Sorry, I'm being unspeakably rude. I just had a plan, but I didn't know why, and it doesn't matter, it turns out it was a plan for me, not a plan for you. Anyway, Fanta time!"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yamamoto coughs quietly. "I know where they are," she offers.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

And she's back.
"Oho? Fanta time delayed...?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

Tycho's gaze shot over to Yamamoto. Finally, something that was not Lara making her feel very small.

"...Go on. Please."

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yamamoto looks nervous. "Listen, I'm pretty sure we're not supposed to talk about it. There have been deaths, but there's a bunch of patients who just...aren't waking up. They get transferred to another part of the facility, where they can be, uh, looked after."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"...interesting. Very interesting. We could... er..."
She frowns.
"No, that would be bad. Hmm. Well we could at least find them... maybe identify which are dead and which are in a coma, see if we can access either? Hmm. Hm hm hm."

She sniffs.
"Gonna give it a think. Fanta time."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Tycho

So. They were still nearby. Not that that really meant anything. I mean, what exactly could they do with this knowledge?

"It's alright, you don't need to put your job at risk on our account. Knowing they are still alive is enough."

She glanced over to Bernard to gauge his reaction to this.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yamamoto raises a hand at the departing Lara. "The people who've died--they don't get uh, held on to. I think they get...taken away. Cremated, or buried, or whatever."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Lara

"Good to know. Thanks!"

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Yamamoto frowns. "Is she...all right?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Bernard Smith

"I don't think she was all right to begin with. She was like that when we arrived, so nothing here caused it." Bernard said quietly as Lara left.

• Locked thread