Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I somehow missed an entire page of videos, so had to backtrack. Great stuff! Those mountain roads look amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Destrad0 posted:

I love lots of things about this thread and all the content within, but I think what I like most is that the video links are usually posted with no foreshadowing at all.

"What's happening with Beck and Andrea today? Broken bike? Cool scenery? Weird interaction with an animal? Meet some awesome people? Some new weirdness?"

Haha I'm glad you like our inconsistency and randomness, it's what we do best! ^_^
And as for the lack of foreshadowing, I always get annoyed when previews give away all the best parts and I feel like the title gives you just enough. I'm glad you agree. :)

On another topic, we decided too much border info in the videos was boring to anyone who isn't planning to do a trip like this soon, so we instead compiled the information on a special page on our website called Borders and Papers Enjoy!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Next video is up! Andrea and I are currently in Panama City, hunting for affordable options around the Darien Gap. We have been taken in by an awesome expat named Greg who is helping put us in touch with some Captains, so we have a comfy place to catch up on videos as well as some good leads on boats! Let us know if you have any contacts that might be able to help out too! Gracias!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TksPtn4eFU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Becktastic posted:

Next video is up! Andrea and I are currently in Panama City, hunting for affordable options around the Darien Gap. We have been taken in by an awesome expat named Greg who is helping put us in touch with some Captains, so we have a comfy place to catch up on videos as well as some good leads on boats! Let us know if you have any contacts that might be able to help out too! Gracias!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TksPtn4eFU

I think the answer is fairly obvious here...

Great video by the way! I loved the kayaking bit... it's nice you guys aren't on such a strict schedule and can give us a better appreciation for life abroad :)

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

OSU_Matthew posted:

I think the answer is fairly obvious here...

Great video by the way! I loved the kayaking bit... it's nice you guys aren't on such a strict schedule and can give us a better appreciation for life abroad :)

It appears we may need to start constructing swans soon. It seems the captains have all formed a cartel and fixed prices as $1000 for a rider and bike. Which is an INSANE amount for such a short trip. We're going to ride up to Portobelo and try our luck at the dock and if that fails we may try Carti and if THAT fails we have a connection for a ride on a container ship to Ecuador a month from now.

In other news my hard drive has been making a clicking noise since Nicaragua and started giving Imminent Failure pop ups yesterday. We backed everything up to my external drive, but we will likely have to deal with that soon as well. I bought this computer in June before leaving, so failing this soon is a major disappointment. I bought a super durable one, but apparently our adventures are still too hardcore for it. I'm going to try begging the manufacturer for help...

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Becktastic posted:

It appears we may need to start constructing swans soon. It seems the captains have all formed a cartel and fixed prices as $1000 for a rider and bike. Which is an INSANE amount for such a short trip. We're going to ride up to Portobelo and try our luck at the dock and if that fails we may try Carti and if THAT fails we have a connection for a ride on a container ship to Ecuador a month from now.

In other news my hard drive has been making a clicking noise since Nicaragua and started giving Imminent Failure pop ups yesterday. We backed everything up to my external drive, but we will likely have to deal with that soon as well. I bought this computer in June before leaving, so failing this soon is a major disappointment. I bought a super durable one, but apparently our adventures are still too hardcore for it. I'm going to try begging the manufacturer for help...

Get a solid state drive (SSD)! Your hard drive probably failed from all the vibration on the bike, very sensitive things. SSD's don't have any moving parts so they won't die from shock.

Awesome videos btw, really enjoying them, makes me want to run away from my office job and start a new life.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
On a happier note Brant just finished a rad riding video of his trip up to Canada and back to Guatemala, it's really well done with lots of cameos by yours truly! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFs1_-7aJWA

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Voltage posted:

Get a solid state drive (SSD)! Your hard drive probably failed from all the vibration on the bike, very sensitive things. SSD's don't have any moving parts so they won't die from shock.

Awesome videos btw, really enjoying them, makes me want to run away from my office job and start a new life.

Yeah maybe I'll just buy an SSD here in Panama City and replace it. I'll have to find a copy of windows and download all our programs again though...not looking forward to it. Is there any chance it could keep working for months after the pop ups start happening, or is it pretty much in hospice now?

Re: Running away from your desk job
I highly recommend it. I know it's cliche, but I have grown and learned so much about people and the world and myself. If you go out there, go with the goal to learn as much as possible, to say yes more and to get out of your comfort zone and it will be incredibly worthwhile. Go without a plan and with as little as possible and be carried by the doors of opportunity opening in front of you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If it's clicking it's in hospice...replace before you lose something important. Nthing the ssd recommendation...it's the only way to go for laptops that see a lot of abuse.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also, they're blazingly fast compared to spinning disks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Becktastic posted:

Yeah maybe I'll just buy an SSD here in Panama City and replace it. I'll have to find a copy of windows and download all our programs again though...not looking forward to it. Is there any chance it could keep working for months after the pop ups start happening, or is it pretty much in hospice now?

If you have the following situation

- clicking hard drive is still capable of reading data reliably
- external hard drive has enough free space to contain all the data on the laptop's hard drive
- the SSD you buy is at least as large as all the data on the laptop's hard drive

Then you can use clonezilla (free) to image your laptop's entire current hard drive, store that image temporarily on the external HDD, install the SSD in the laptop and clone over the image. Everything ought to work exactly the same way it was without having to redownload any software or reactivate Windows.

If you're going to do this it's a good idea to delete or move everything you possibly can from the laptop's hard drive first, so that you spend less time imaging. When the drive starts clicking it's already in its death throes.

Alabamarama
Aug 22, 2013
Those blue birds Andrea is/was smitten with are called White-throated Magpie-Jays! They are really pretty, but some of the biggest jerks in the bird kingdom. They will rob you blind if you give them the chance, hence magpie! I found this out the hard way whilst on vacation in Costa Rica.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Sagebrush posted:

If you have the following situation

- clicking hard drive is still capable of reading data reliably
- external hard drive has enough free space to contain all the data on the laptop's hard drive
- the SSD you buy is at least as large as all the data on the laptop's hard drive

Then you can use clonezilla (free) to image your laptop's entire current hard drive, store that image temporarily on the external HDD, install the SSD in the laptop and clone over the image. Everything ought to work exactly the same way it was without having to redownload any software or reactivate Windows.

If you're going to do this it's a good idea to delete or move everything you possibly can from the laptop's hard drive first, so that you spend less time imaging. When the drive starts clicking it's already in its death throes.

Yeah there's a second part too though where I think I gave it a virus and I'm afraid to copy it over to the new hard drive. I downloaded some software so I could screen record myself and make tutorials on using Adobe Premiere for video blogging and ever since I've had some crazy pop ups and for some reason whenever I go to youtube in google chrome my computer plays weird haunted house music (but not if I use internet explorer). We downloaded Malwarebytes and Avira and they found some stuff but didn't fix the problem.

The computer was still running okay yesterday and we got everything onto the external hard drive, but today it didn't want to turn on. I have it on now but running very slowly. It is not capable of much. Just opening control panel takes like 5 minutes. It is oddly no longer clicking.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Alabamarama posted:

Those blue birds Andrea is/was smitten with are called White-throated Magpie-Jays! They are really pretty, but some of the biggest jerks in the bird kingdom. They will rob you blind if you give them the chance, hence magpie! I found this out the hard way whilst on vacation in Costa Rica.

Ha yeah they were super shy on the West side of the island and I was bummed I couldn't get a decent picture, then when we moved to the East side they were bold little bastards...but still very pretty. I think if I lived there I would start to hate them though.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Becktastic posted:

I downloaded some software ... and for some reason whenever I go to youtube in google chrome my computer plays weird haunted house music

As a software engineer I find this hilarious :v:

Unless you've already done the business, I vote for only copying your media files (videos you've recorded) to the new drive, instead of a straight bit-for-bit copy of everything.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Becktastic posted:

I downloaded some software so I could screen record myself and make tutorials on using Adobe Premiere for video blogging and ever since I've had some crazy pop ups and for some reason whenever I go to youtube in google chrome my computer plays weird haunted house music (but not if I use internet explorer).

Now THERE'S an adventure!!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

KARMA! posted:

Now THERE'S an adventure!!

"Why didn't we major in computers?!" - Andrea

This poo poo is way harder than riding a motorcycle to South America.

Also I feel like your username is yelling at me and telling me I deserve this.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Becktastic posted:

On a happier note Brant just finished a rad riding video of his trip up to Canada and back to Guatemala, it's really well done with lots of cameos by yours truly! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFs1_-7aJWA

Heh, I'd recognize the wildlife ramps over the Banff highway and the Jasper gorge anywhere. :)

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcdIVBehbDQ

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I enjoyed the funny banter about the "historic dildo" at the end. It's kind of fun to see you two interacting instead of speaking in turn to the camera. :)

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Started watching these videos in August and I'm delighted/jealous as hell that you're still out there doing it. How long are planning on staying? Long as possible?

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

LifeSizePotato posted:

I enjoyed the funny banter about the "historic dildo" at the end. It's kind of fun to see you two interacting instead of speaking in turn to the camera. :)

Yeah, we've been trying to work on how to make it more conversational and less "We did X, then Y then Z". We are getting a bit more relaxed in front of the camera now and that will help. Plus lately we've been trying to do more recording talking about stuff right after it happens, so it's still fresh and we have that energy. Videos will be improving as we go! :)

Shelvocke posted:

Started watching these videos in August and I'm delighted/jealous as hell that you're still out there doing it. How long are planning on staying? Long as possible?

Thanks! We're planning to get to the bottom of Argentina by Decemberish, because that's when the weather will be the best, then we're having some friends fly in for a We Made It party and doing a side adventure to Uruguay. After that Andrea will probably sell her bike and fly back and work (she left with far less than me and will owe me a fair bit by the end). I've been daydreaming lately about shipping my bike and sailing back. We'll see if the ride to Colombia makes me barf up that dream.

Here's a particularly ludicrous video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myMykoCycAg

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

How far was the island?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Apparently about .5km We started swimming from further down the coast though, we really should have walked further first. The water there is INCREDIBLE, the lake is really shallow for a long ways off the coast, so it is very warm and you can also walk out for a long ways without swimming. Watching the sun set over the volcanoes while floating on warm bathwater-like salt free waves was amazing. Sadly the lake is already pretty polluted and we would see dead fish on the shore every day. By the time they finish the canal, it may be totally unswimmable.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
Also, if any of you are curious what tools we carry or are trying to put together your own travel tool kit, check out our tool list over HERE :)

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Thanks, I could definitely use that since I plan on doing some motocamping this month.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Becktastic posted:

Also, if any of you are curious what tools we carry or are trying to put together your own travel tool kit, check out our tool list over HERE :)

Not sure if you meant all the bolded tools names to be amazon referrer links or not but only the forum howto text is clickable in the article.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Zip ties JB Weld and Gorilla tape are magical things.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

echomadman posted:

Not sure if you meant all the bolded tools names to be amazon referrer links or not but only the forum howto text is clickable in the article.

I just had them bolded, but clickable links makes more sense than just the picture links below, so I fixed them. :)

Retarded Pimp posted:

Zip ties JB Weld and Gorilla tape are magical things.

It's true! FYI the only thing Gorilla Tape can't do is seal fuel line. Gasoline melts through anything and everything and you will find yourself covered in sticky goo. Which reminds me, I should add "small length of fuel hose" to that list...

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
A freind of mine, and her boyfriend, started an around-the-world ride in 2011, here's their blog:

http://handfulofthrottle.blogspot.com

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 19, 2014

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Kidney Stone posted:

A freind of mine, and her boyfriend, started an around-the-world ride in 2011, here's their blog:

http://handfulofthrottle.blogspot.com

Hell yeah! Rad to see other DRZs on a big trip like that! I shot them a message, maybe we'll cross paths and have a beer somewhere along the line. :)

Heeeeeerrreee's another video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-s92CLu9rw

P.S. Hopefully we'll be on a boat to Colombia soon, so if you don't hear anything from us from a couple weeks, don't worry, we're probably just camping out at the dock negotiating boats or out on the water heading to SOUTH AMERICA! :D

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Interesting camo covers on the bike! What made you decide to go with that pattern? Is it generally pretty good for the areas you're in?

Similar question, but how have you dealt with the security of your bikes and possessions since Andrea's bag was stolen? Do you have any helpful suggestions for securing or hiding your stuff?

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Becktastic posted:

Hell yeah! Rad to see other DRZs on a big trip like that! I shot them a message, maybe we'll cross paths and have a beer somewhere along the line. :)

Heeeeeerrreee's another video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-s92CLu9rw

P.S. Hopefully we'll be on a boat to Colombia soon, so if you don't hear anything from us from a couple weeks, don't worry, we're probably just camping out at the dock negotiating boats or out on the water heading to SOUTH AMERICA! :D

Nice headbands.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

OSU_Matthew posted:

Interesting camo covers on the bike! What made you decide to go with that pattern? Is it generally pretty good for the areas you're in?

Similar question, but how have you dealt with the security of your bikes and possessions since Andrea's bag was stolen? Do you have any helpful suggestions for securing or hiding your stuff?

We stealth camp a lot and the camo covers have been GREAT. They actually work really well in everything from desert scrub to thick jungle. The important thing is that they break up the shape and cover all the bright reflectors on the bikes. They are also nice in urban areas because our bikes are different looking and people tend to mill around them a lot unless we keep they wrapped up. Out of sight out of mind is a good strategy. Though kids get curious and sometimes set the alarms off over and over intentionally. :rolleyes:

We are pretty crazy paranoid about the safety of our stuff now. Andrea used to be more lax and that was the kick she needed to tighten security more. We usually sleep right next to the bikes and eat with them in view. If we want to leave valuables and all swim or something, everything is locked in the laptop case, bikes are covered/locked/alarmed and keys are hidden/buried.

Basically, carry copies of your important docs in your day pack and keep everything actually important locked up on the bike. And lock your bike, with an alarm, so no one just up and runs off with the whole thing.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
We did an interview with the Global Women Who Ride project, check it out HERE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was a good read. Thanks for the link.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Becktastic, what sort of helmet cam are you using? I'm wanting a similar 3m replay functionality for a trip I'm taking.

(I looked over your blog but couldn't find it listed in any of the equipment.)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kuffs posted:

Becktastic, what sort of helmet cam are you using? I'm wanting a similar 3m replay functionality for a trip I'm taking.

(I looked over your blog but couldn't find it listed in any of the equipment.)

She goes into some detail on that in the interview link that was just posted, under the electronic gear section :)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Totally skipped over the brand name when I read the article. Thanks OSU_Matthew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Oh nice, I didn't know you met Ted Simon. I'm almost done with his book right now. Enjoying a lot of it, but a bit disappointed with how little time he spent in USA/Canada. As a vintage bike mechanic I'm intrigued/amused by the problems he had with his Triumph and how he felt about their reliability.

• Locked thread