Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

SiGmA_X posted:

Also, what degree and how much experience do you have in field. I'm curious because financial analysis is something I find interesting and it's semi related to my soon to be field. Thanks.

3 years. You would want a BS in math or stats from a good school if you wanted to get hired here. Half my peers have at least an MS. And be a fun guy to have a beer with. That one is pretty key.

April posted:

I genuinely don't understand this mindset. "I will spend everything I earn, until I am happy with my life. Also, once I stop making more money, I'll start putting it away." It just seems really backwards. And not having definite goals such as "If I am earning X, I will invest Y" sounds like a good way to give yourself a license to blow as much as you want, for as long as you want. Really, I don't think the debt is a problem, or the lack of savings, but your attitude is terrible. As other posters have said here, what were you hoping to get out of this thread?

I'm hoping that in two weeks I will say "Hey! I've been keeping my debt in mind so I put the bonus towards my credit cards!" instead of "I set all my debt autopays to the minimum, stuck my fingers in my ears, and spent a month on a south American beach."

In the longer term I'm hoping for encouragement to work harder and better, not drink so much, and consider which luxury purchases are really worth it. I figure just cataloging my cash flows will help. The constant hum of angry goons does to, in an odd sort of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's called regression to the mean, we are all subject to it, your income may very likely stop going up, I get it you're a beautiful brilliant star child and things come easily to you and the lumpenproletariat here just don't get it. Yeah, yeah, whatever, grow up.

It's easier to save as a single person w/ 100k a year than as a married person w/ kids w/ 180k a year... and it's certainly easier to do the work of building habits now.

I mean just become someone who banks 40% of their income and never worry about money again. At your income level, It's That Easy.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Slow Motion posted:

3 years. You would want a BS in math or stats from a good school if you wanted to get hired here. Half my peers have at least an MS. And be a fun guy to have a beer with. That one is pretty key.

I'm hoping that in two weeks I will say "Hey! I've been keeping my debt in mind so I put the bonus towards my credit cards!" instead of "I set all my debt autopays to the minimum, stuck my fingers in my ears, and spent a month on a south American beach."

In the longer term I'm hoping for encouragement to work harder and better, not drink so much, and consider which luxury purchases are really worth it. I figure just cataloging my cash flows will help. The constant hum of angry goons does to, in an odd sort of way.

How does a financial consultant ignore the golden cheat codes of finance: Compound interest and spending less than you make?

If you keep going your way and you're making $200k in 6 years, you're not going to suddenly be responsible. You're going to adjust to your increased income and just spend more. You'll stock 25 year old scotch at your house and take 2 more international vacations a year and have a super expensive leased car that you still don't drive and STILL not have any money left. And you'll justify it because "hey I make all this money and I can afford it".

I don't think anyone here in this thread should encourage you to live like a pauper making they kind of money you do, but poo poo man pay yourself first and then blow the excess on whatever you want. You're entitled to blow money, you're an adult. Just do your planning/budgeting/saving up front and then whatever is left over you get to spend. Just make it something reasonable. Want something expensive/shiny? Guess it needs to come from your blow money or you start saving for it ahead of time.

You'll thank us later, dummy.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Slow Motion: have you ever given any thought to what would happen if you lost your job?

I mean, maybe you are some sort of superstar and get competing offers from rival firms every week, and you would find a new job before going to bed that very night. Then again if that was the case you would be making a lot more than $75/hr.

So yeah. Can you walk us through a fictional scenario where you go to work tomorrow and find a pink slip on your desk? What would be on your list of action items in order of priority?

Nog
May 15, 2006

Don't worry guys, he has this all figured out:

See, he's going to keep saving around 3% of his income because he'll get another 20% raise this year. When that happens, he can increase his spending by 20% because that will make him feel better about himself, and he'll still be able to manage 3% savings! He can keep this up forever too! If he ever needs more money, then he'll just work more hours. Nothing is more fulfilling than a 100 hour work week. Besides, who really wants to retire before they're 85? YOLO

Slow Motion, just stop and consider how broken your thinking is:

1. You justify each frivolous purchase (e.g. booze) as a one time deal. No poo poo, but those frivolous purchases are indicative of a larger pattern of irresponsible spending. Maybe this month booze is the one time purchase, but next month it will be a new suit, then it's a new 80" television, then it's a sweet new stereo system for the car you never drive, and so on. Until you learn how to budget and manage your finances, you will always to making these "one time purchases".

2. You are buried in debt and your answer is to minimally cut spending and instead work more hours. How long is this approach sustainable? You know that 40 year old dude in your office who works 100 hours a week? That's what he's been doing. Unless you learn how to control your spending, regardless of raises, you will drive yourself into further and further debt and work more and more to compensate.

3. You pay hundreds of dollars a month for a car you never really drive. Taking cabs is probably cheaper and means never needing a DD, but you're too lazy to even crunch the numbers.

4. Your "budgeting" makes no contingencies for emergencies. I don't see renter's insurance on your budget, what happens when someone breaks in and steals all your poo poo or the building burns down? What happens if you gently caress up somehow and lose your job? What happens if you get sued for something and need a lawyer? You don't really have a decent emergency fund, so just pull it out of the ol' 401k, right? More debt?

5. Your fundamental assumption is that you will magically become more financially prudent at some unknown point in the future. You are essentially saying, "I don't have to worry about this poo poo, that's the job of Future Me." There's two stupid assumptions there: the first is that you'll ever change if you don't start now, and the second is that you'll be in a situation that is potentially retrievable when you are finally forced to change.

6. You are irresponsible and impulsive. Look at the situation you're back in with your ex-wife. You said she brought out the worst in your self-destructive tendencies. Is that going to be your excuse when you're staring at another $10k in debt in 6 months?

Drop the arrogance. You aren't the only one who makes that kind of salary here and has been getting 20%+ raises for the past few years (Hint: I make about the same as you, I've made 20% raises for the past 3 years, and I'm scheduled for another in February). We aren't all telling you that your lifestyle is unsustainable because we're jealous of it or something. We're all telling you this because it's the truth.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

enraged_camel posted:

Slow Motion: have you ever given any thought to what would happen if you lost your job?

I mean, maybe you are some sort of superstar and get competing offers from rival firms every week, and you would find a new job before going to bed that very night. Then again if that was the case you would be making a lot more than $75/hr.

So yeah. Can you walk us through a fictional scenario where you go to work tomorrow and find a pink slip on your desk? What would be on your list of action items in order of priority?

Not a superstar but I wouldn't have to go more than a week before starting at a new company. My skill set is uncommon.

If I was really poo poo outa luck on income I would decide to either A: start squatting in the apartment, collecting unemployment and default all my debts. Or B: Cash out all my accounts, default my debts and go backpacking around the world for a few years. It's pretty much financial suicide as my backup plan.

As a general comment to the people who think I spend more than I make: That has been the case for some specific big ticket items in the past two years. If it's really of interest to you I can detail the big spending right here and now. All within the last 1.5 years:

Pre-Divorce
1. Tempur-Pedic bed and frame: 6k
2. Three week vacation to Mexico: 4k
3. Medical testing for conditions my wife was sure she had: 5k (Her PCP wouldn't even authorize the tests because she obviously didn't have the conditions. I paid for it because I thought it would help her anxiety.)
4. English and French bulldog puppies: 1k (I though these would help the wife's anxiety too.)
5. Vet procedures for bulldogs: 3k
6. Wife's tuition and books: 9k (She tried and failed to get a job for over a year. School seemed like the next option)

Post-Divorce
1. Another Tempur-Pedic: 5k (I bought this out of jealousy when the wife ditched the frame, which was inset with tiles from our travels around the world but kept the bed. And I was on an air mattress at my coworkers condo at the time. I bought my bed the next day at lunch.)
2. New car stereo: 1k (Yeah I shouldn't have.)
3. Wife's rent for the past 3 months and the coming one month: 5k

The next most expensive line item of the past 3 months was a bottle of scotch for $75. After that a pair of shoes for $50.

Two years ago I had over 20k in savings and was completely debt free. My rent and parking are higher now than ever before. But looking at my income and expenses I really don't see the problem. I just need to get this poo poo paid off and get back to living my own life.

nyerf
Feb 12, 2010

An elephant never forgets...TO KILL!

ripped0ff posted:

4. Your "budgeting" makes no contingencies for emergencies. I don't see renter's insurance on your budget, what happens when someone breaks in and steals all your poo poo or the building burns down? What happens if you gently caress up somehow and lose your job? What happens if you get sued for something and need a lawyer? You don't really have a decent emergency fund, so just pull it out of the ol' 401k, right? More debt?

He has renter's insurance at $10 a month.

SM, you were seeing a therapist around the time you broke up with the wife right? Was that coming out of health insurance, or out of pocket? Does your job provide health insurance? I don't think I saw it mentioned.

Also how is the divorce progressing, particularly cost-wise? If you need to start paying lawyers that stuff needs to be budgeted for.

E: dude, you sound horribly fatalistic man. Financial suicide is your emergency plan? Are you depressed?, because that kind of thinking is not good for you.

nyerf fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 22, 2013

Nog
May 15, 2006

So what you're saying is that in the past three months you have purchased $6k in bullshit (new stereo for the car you never use, holy poo poo... and a bed), not including the rent for your wife's place. Versus the $28k in big ticket bullshit you spend over 2 years with your wife. Despite your wife being the supposed cause of your bullshit spending, you are actually buying BS at a 71% quicker pace than you did when you were married.

Have you considered the possibility that you are a lovely, irresponsible spender normally, and that spending on your wife was just the way you manifested that spending for the past two years? Because that seems pretty obvious.

Instead of getting out of debt after divorcing, you are going into debt at a quicker pace than before.

Edit: LOL @ "I can find another job like this in a week." If your skill set is that highly prized, why aren't you just shopping yourself around for a larger salary elsewhere? Screw this $75/hr bullshit, go find the $100/hr job you know you deserve.

Other Edit: You forgot the biggest expense item since you left your wife, the $2000 a month penthouse. Don't act like that isn't a frivolous waste.

Nog fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 22, 2013

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

nyerf posted:

He has renter's insurance at $10 a month.

SM, you were seeing a therapist around the time you broke up with the wife right? Was that coming out of health insurance, or out of pocket? Does your job provide health insurance? I don't think I saw it mentioned.

Also how is the divorce progressing, particularly cost-wise? If you need to start paying lawyers that stuff needs to be budgeted for.

I still see the therapist. It comes out of the HSA, which had 5k or so a little over a year ago. My deductible on the health plan is $4,500 which I'm pretty close to hitting this year already. I could have had a $500 deductible but with the HSA and HDHP my employer dumps 2k in the HSA every year. Pre-marriage my annual health spending was about $300. Obviously I made the wrong choice for the last two years.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I was feeling bad for this guy's OP until I saw his income and the penthouse. Paying off all that debt should be as easy as "Find a cheaper place to live and hold onto that job".

Seriously my wife and I could pay off your debt in less than a year and our combined income is lower than yours. Man up.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 22, 2013

April
Jul 3, 2006

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I was feeling bad for this guy's OP until I saw his income and the penthouse. Paying off all that debt should be as easy as "Find a cheaper place to live and hold onto that job".

Seriously my wife and I could pay off your debt in less than a year and our combined income is lower than yours. Man up.

I seriously wonder if the OP started this thread just to have everyone say "drat dude, you make some serious bank! No reason you can't afford your awesome, awesome lifestyle! Keep up the good work!"

It's a basic fallacy that I see over and over - people who determine their wealth by how much money they earn, not how much money they have. The OP sees himself as wealthy because he has a high income, but proportionally, his expenses are way higher than a lot of people who earn less.

Nog
May 15, 2006

April posted:

I seriously wonder if the OP started this thread just to have everyone say "drat dude, you make some serious bank! No reason you can't afford your awesome, awesome lifestyle! Keep up the good work!"

Don't forget, he's getting laid too! He's a cool party dude and us goons are just too jealous of his lifestyle, that's why we're telling him he needs to take control of his finances.

Pfft, all these problems are just because of my wife. I was super fiscally secure until she came around. Now days I only make sensible purchases like $75 scotch, $100 in bar tabs a week, a $6000 bed, a $1000 stereo for my car that I don't drive, $2000 a month penthouse, and more. Don't you see? Now that I'm not with my wife*, I'll be able to start exercising some fiscal discipline.

*Not married to her. But soon I'll start buying poo poo for her anyway, just "one time purchases" like champagne to get her in the mood or some lingerie to keep it spicy.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Slow Motion posted:

Not a superstar but I wouldn't have to go more than a week before starting at a new company. My skill set is uncommon.

If you want to be a baller move out of Arkansas or wherever you are that 2100 gets a penthouse and come to NY. No point in living in the backwoods AND spending all your money

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

April posted:

Bingo. This is also why 90% of E/N threads start, so someone who knows they are making bad decisions can get a few people to validate those bad decisions for them.

Go buy some a pair of jetskis, a timeshare, and start a restaurant with your "ex-wife with benefits"

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Sell your stupid loving $5k tempurpedic and buy a $400 generic brand memory foam bed on Amazon.

Along that theme you've probably got enough items laying around the house that you don't use to take out a size able chunk of your debt right now. Downgrade your car, downgrade your bed, drink some beam instead of makers mark, sell designer clothes you don't wear anymore on eBay... I made like $400 bucks selling poo poo I didn't use anymore when I changed cities for my new job and I wasn't even trying or selling big ticket things.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
SELL THE MINI

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Kobayashi posted:

SELL THE MINI

You don't understand. The parking space he pays for is also a status symbol, so by having his car parked there people know how cool and rich he is. If he didn't have the car, or the parking spot, he'd be worthless.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

ZentraediElite posted:

You don't understand. The parking space he pays for is also a status symbol, so by having his car parked there people know how cool and rich he is. If he didn't have the car, or the parking spot, he'd be worthless.

He's actually lucky he only pays $225 for parking. There're spots in the city which go for $1500 a month. Imagine how many level ups his baller status would get if he were in the city and had a parking spot.

I'm wondering OP, which tempurpedic did you get where you ended up spending $6k?

Are you trying to be Barney Stinson? Is your apartment the ultimate bachelor pad?

Regarding your HSA - I think you mentioned you will only contribute $100 a month after you get rid of your wife's expenses. Are you planning for any potential emergencies or are you just saying "gently caress it, I only generally pay $300 a year anyway" and just hoping for the best? Do you have a plan for if you get herpes because of a huge mistake? I guess the other question is, do you just live in the moment or do you ever plan ahead?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I guess the other question is, do you just live in the moment or do you ever plan ahead?

For the past year or so it's been living exclusively in the moment. Abusive relationships will do that to you, so I'm told. A big theme for me right now is coming out of the fog and reclaiming my life one little piece at a time. I have a Google docs spreadsheet I used to keep track of all my balances. The dates on my reconciliations go from monthly up to 2012, to a couple spaced out two and three months apart, and then NONE until the one I made when I started this thread. Pulling my head out of the sand is definitely the first and most important step for me.

I'm looking to get back to a debt free baseline before I tackle all the savings goals (HSA included). As far as poo poo-hits-the-fan money I would probably credit card it. My employer drops 2k in there annual too. The account won't be completely neglected.

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 23, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Slow Motion posted:

For the past year or so it's been living exclusively in the moment. Abusive relationships will do that to you, so I'm told. A big theme for me right now is coming out of the fog and reclaiming my life one little piece at a time. I have a Google docs spreadsheet I used to keep track of all my balances. The dates on my reconciliations go from monthly up to 2012, to a couple spaced out two and three months apart, and then NONE until the one I made when I started this thread. Pulling my head out of the sand is definitely the first and most important step for me.

I'm looking to get back to a debt free baseline before I tackle all the savings goals (HSA included). As far as poo poo-hits-the-fan money I would probably credit card it. My employer drops 2k in there annual too. The account won't be completely neglected.

Eh, its okay - I was in a relationship where I ended up in a large amount of debt. I'm only clearing up this year after 3 years of waffling on about. I'll tell you though - I wish I had been able to get my head out of the fog sooner because I could have actually been saving instead of just continuing to pay fees. I make about as much as you do but I live in a much more expensive part of the country. I had to do a bunch to get out of the situation though:

1. I had to reduce my costs across the board. My rent, in San Francisco, was pretty drat high. I had to move because otherwise, my budget looked like yours. I was paying off my credit cards but would rack up more debt throughout the week from drinking, going out, partying.
2. Got rid of my car. I could walk/muni everywhere. Literally no girls cared because who needs a car in the city. I could always pick up a zipcar if I needed to go to Target.
3. Stopped drinking as much. DRinking just leads to dumb mistakes when you're lonely. Its better to just join a fun rec league, play flag football, meet people outside of the drinking/clubbing scene.

If you're not willing to reduce your costs across the board, I promise you that you're going to continue to spiral around the debt drain. You're going to incur costs here and there - even if you're paying $800-$1000 per card per month, something will come up, be it an emergency or a "reward myself" purchase. You're going to go out on expensive dates, you're going to drink a little too much and pay for a JW-Blue Bottle at a club to impress that one girl.

Can you project out what your repayment plan is with a realistic budget? I'm not talking what you forecast though. Think smaller. What are you going to do in the next 2 weeks with the current paycheck? Can you stick to that?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Slow Motion posted:

I walk five minutes to work. Someone said commute time only matters if I would get paid for it. Well I do. If I bill an extra hour a day I get paid for it. So a half hour on either end of the day over 24 working days and $75/hr is $1,800/month (pre-tax). That assumes of course that I actually work the extra hour and don't gently caress around on the internet.

If you walk to work, then your car is neither making or saving you so much as a single cent. It's not even offsetting it's own cost. Economically, it might as well be in your entertainment budget because you sure aren't using it for work. Besides, if you are literally going out to work only to spend an hour or more loving around while not clocked in, then you're clearly not interested in maximizing the value of your time.

quote:

Alcohol: $108. This was super high because I wanted to stock my liquor cabinet at my new place. I don't expect to buy more than $20 or so in the future. The only non spirits in my alcohol purchase were $16 worth of champagne.

Wait, do you mean you expect to spend $20 a month on your liquor cabinet, after stocking it with over $100 of spirits, and excluding your bar and beer spending? Addictions are big expenses, dude.

Slow Motion posted:

If I was really poo poo outa luck on income I would decide to either A: start squatting in the apartment, collecting unemployment and default all my debts. Or B: Cash out all my accounts, default my debts and go backpacking around the world for a few years. It's pretty much financial suicide as my backup plan.

Why? You make enough money that you could easily build up a huge emergency fund and save up enough cash to invest into even more if you just lived modestly for a few years. Instead, you live an extravagant lifestyle without regards for your finances, you just burn money like crazy on minor conveniences, and intend to cash out your retirement and declare bankruptcy if your income is ever interrupted. I guess those are your choices to make, but they're not the smartest choices to make, and I don't know why you made a thread if you're not really interested in making real changes.

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 23, 2013

Nog
May 15, 2006

quote:

I should make my own 'fix my finances' thread.

I have $20,000 in credit card debt. Which is stupid because I paid off $15,000 of my at-the-time $25,000 in credit card debt in December. $1,000 went to a new stereo system in my car. $5,000 went to a new bed. The rest is eating out and alcohol.

I just signed on a $2275/mo apartment (includes parking though!).

And I made an amicable agreement with my soon to be ex-wife to pay the four months on the end of our old house's lease ($1,300/mo). In exchange she is going to take good care of it so that I can claim the two months rent which is the security deposit. I'm kicking myself for the generosity but at the same time she is being cooperative in the divorce in every way. So maybe it was just cheaper than a lawyer.

I could probably pay for all this. I make $75/hr and I can take on all the hours I want. But I really can't be arsed to do so. I end up working 3 to 6 hours a day most of the time. I could get raises through exams and kick my hourly up to $100 within a year. But that would require studying outside of work. Which I also can't be arsed to do. I really need to get my poo poo together.

For some extra perspective, here is his post from the thread about people who suck with money.

To catalog the many things that are wrong with this:

1. He supposedly got his total CC debt down to ~$10k in December. It is now just shy of $30k, and he believe that this lies mostly on his shoulders. Nope, it's all the bed and stereo's fault... That's about $14k in debt for eating out and booze in 7 months.

2. He is relying on his crazy ex-wife he is now sleeping with, who has BPD, and who could flip out at any moment to keep his old place in good shape so he can recover his $2600 security deposit. So she can gently caress him there and in the divorce.

3. He apparently doesn't have a lawyer because his crazy ex-wife has been cooperative so far.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Slow Motion posted:

I just need to get this poo poo paid off and get back to living my own life.
I've read the entire thread, but I must've missed the part where you for even one day stopped living your own life in order to get this poo poo paid off.

SiGmA_X posted:

Also, what degree and how much experience do you have in field. I'm curious because financial analysis is something I find interesting and it's semi related to my soon to be field. Thanks.
I just don't think you're cut out for the field, SiGmA_X. You sound too financially level-headed.

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 27, 2013

Devious_05
Jul 3, 2007
I would say the OP is just depressed, and depressed people suck with money (all of them I know anyway)

When I was going through a horrible breakup a few years back I remember not caring much about it, and just spending whatever I wanted (though that was 2k limit). I doubt the OP is going to get any better until he severs properly and starts to get over his ex. Even after posting a thread asking for help he's basically just ignored it (exactly like being told to sever and not doing it).

Go work on your emotional and physical health and then come back and talk money.
Non financial hint: sleeping with your ex just sets you back to square one in the breakup ordeal, been there, done that, have the medal.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
OP, where are you with the divorce in terms of lawyers etc? What is the status on the amicable divorce with the woman you are currently sleeping with and whose rent you are paying?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

shovelbum posted:

OP, where are you with the divorce in terms of lawyers etc? What is the status on the amicable divorce with the woman you are currently sleeping with and whose rent you are paying?

It's complicated. Things look good for me on that front and I'll update more on that as it happens.

Let this post begin the mockery of my July spending.

Even accounting for the checks my building was super slow to cash and the professional development that will be reimbursed I'm about $1,000 over my target. Where did it go? Eating out, drinking out, and drugs.

I expected to blow the eating and drinking out budgets for July. Indeed most of that was before I decided to get a handle on this poo poo and started posting here. I've been doing much better so far in august and I'm excited to come in under budget.

The drugs thing is weird. I hadn't bought pot in a year before. But after getting blazed regularly with a girl I'm rather into I decided I should reciprocate. So I bought some and a new piece.

Anyhow go easy on me. The first half of July included a lot of silly spending that I will not replicate in the future.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slow Motion fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 14, 2013

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

Here are my current account balances. My wife's rent check has not been posted yet. Mine has and all my utilities are already paid. This is where I take my first good bite out of my debt. I'm thinking $9000 towards the Amex. Thoughts?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
You still do intend to stop paying wife rent right? Also why do you have MORE on the Amex than when you started this thread?

Yeah if you were in normal circumstances I'd say "Pay off $9000 of the Amex, gently caress maybe $10,000" but you are in the middle of a divorce which is hugely financially relevant so please, wife updates before we can tell you what to do.

shovelbum fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 14, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You bought "some" weed? For $500?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

shovelbum posted:

You still do intend to stop paying wife rent right? Also why do you have MORE on the Amex than when you started this thread?

Yes, the wife's rent thing is done. The lease is up at the end of September and that month is prepaid anyway.

I use the Amex to pay all of my daily expenses that I can. I haven't made a payment on it since starting this thread. So that's why there is more.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Slow Motion posted:

Anyhow go easy on me.

No. 500 loving dollars on restaurants and 500 loving dollars on poo poo that could potentially get you fired from your cushy job in a second. All to impress a girl. Think about that really hard because if you can't get that under control, you'll always be in debt. I mean, you have bars and restaurants as separate categories! Combine all that unnecessary poo poo and you spent drat near $2000. This isn't an improvement. You only managed to spend $500 less than last month.

Now, I'm a fan of baby steps when you're just getting started with a proper budget and I'm happy to see you're somewhat aware of how bad your spending is. I'm also glad to see you posting here again because I hope that means you're serious about wanting to fix things. I know you're going through a lot of poo poo, but the answer to happiness isn't burying yourself in debt and drugs and alcohol.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Slow Motion posted:

Yes, the wife's rent thing is done. The lease is up at the end of September and that month is prepaid anyway.

This is good news. Do not let your booze/pot spending creep up to compensate for the extra $1370 a month or whatever. You should probably not pick up a $500/mo pot habit right now. I am not someone who can criticize your bar tab without being a huge hypocrite so I won't do that.

But seriously-

I have worked in several industries that pay for a young man to drink a lot in a high stress situation and many of them wind up getting divorced. I have seen it happen a million times that things are "amicable" right up until the wife takes a guy for everything he's worth once she sees the no-paper-trail gravy train end or finds out from some lawyer what she can get out of you to keep up her lifestyle. To me right now your biggest liability is not your credit card debt but the open ended question of the divorce!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, but he just needs to keep hitting that and she won't go all alimony.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Slow Motion posted:

Anyhow go easy on me. The first half of July included a lot of silly spending that I will not replicate in the future.

The only way you can show us that you don't intend to keep up the silly spending is to stop the silly spending. Stop treating any of this poo poo as a one time expense, special circumstance, or whatever. You'll just keep making new excuses, like every other god-forsaken BFC sad sack that rolls through here looking for a pat on the back for shopping at costco, while expecting us to turn a blind and forgiving eye to the unresolved divorce and the $1000 spent on drugs and chasing pussy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

Yeah, but he just needs to keep hitting that and she won't go all alimony.

Like seriously, well-paid guy keeping up all sorts of entanglements with her and sustaining her lifestyle until he totally isn't. Isn't this a textbook "man gets taken for everything" alimony scenario?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
You know, you can play Puzzle and Dragons for loving free. $60 a month, really? Stop rolling when it isn't a godfest.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Slow Motion posted:

This is where I take my first good bite out of my debt. I'm thinking $9000 towards the Amex. Thoughts?

Are you officially post-divorce settlements? I'm just curious but were your debts divided up between you and your wife at all during the divorce? If things aren't finalized, you dont necessarily want to pay off your pre-divorce debt with post-divorce salary depending on how you think the divorce proceedings might go. Typically both marital savings and debt are divided up to some degree.

I dont think there's anything wrong with dividing up alcohol and restaurants at all, especially if you're prone to drinking heavy. I'd also add a category that is specific for drugs because it is good to see how much those bad habits actually cost you. Back when I lived in a state where you could buy beer and liquor at a grocery store, it made my grocery bills very deceptive. It was good to separate out alcohol and see just how much it was costing me and realizing that I wasn't just having a bulk food buy month. You're probably going to be spending a little more on restaurants and alcohol if you're now dating but you need to budget for that. You don't have to pay every time, and there is nothing wrong with splitting the bill.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

I had to look up Puzzle and Dragons to fully understand this and I'm blown away that anyone who considers themselves an adult could spend $60 in a month on something like that.

As many others have stated, you have a spending problem and will not effectively rescue yourself from this situation until you understand the value of money.

The next time you authorize an in game purchase or buy something you don't need to survive, think about the debts you owe and how the interest is accumulating like a freight train.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Slow Motion posted:

The drugs thing is weird. I hadn't bought pot in a year before. But after getting blazed regularly with a girl I'm rather into I decided I should reciprocate. So I bought some and a new piece.

Anyhow go easy on me...
You're supposed to think about your spending before you do it. How did you rationalize dropping that much cash? Sell whatever fancy bong you bought and buy a pack of zig-zags.

Edit: Doesn't something about this look wrong to you?

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Turkeybone posted:

You know, you can play Puzzle and Dragons for loving free. $60 a month, really? Stop rolling when it isn't a godfest.

Yeah, I just started playing this last weekend and have had a ton of fun for $0. Helps me not spend money on other stuff, actually.

• Locked thread