Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

I guess the disconnect between marketing and editorial isn't just a Marvel thing...

Don't get me started man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So if Archie goes down as an independent, who do you think will buy them out?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I believe the company is privately owned currently? So unless the owners need money it won't be going anywhere.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Edmund Lava posted:

Anyone read the Riverdale ongoing? I picked up the one shot and wasn't all that impressed with it, the previews seem like it's not worth the trouble.

I got the one shot and the first issue and that stopped. It's not particularly great.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

CottonWolf posted:

Does anyone know if they've canned Jughead? That was the only new Archie series I was reading (still waiting on AWA and Sabrina of course), but yeah, I can't find anything about any future issues.

Ian Flynn said it's officially on hiatus.

He also complained about not working in months.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
So Sonic is dead

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/887809496898088960

Scale of 1 to 10 how bad is this for Archie as a whole?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They haven't released a new Sonic comic in like 6 months. They knew this was happening.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Probably not terribly, honestly. If nothing else, they don't have to worry about lawsuits from Ken Penders anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Archie/Sega relationship has been by all reports, super lovely for a long time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

They haven't released a new Sonic comic in like 6 months. They knew this was happening.

Yeah I figured but then like, not even a whole week ago I read something where Archie kept on bullshitting about how they're still negotiating with Sega or something, presumably to avoid having to definitively say they're done.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

TwoPair posted:

Yeah I figured but then like, not even a whole week ago I read something where Archie kept on bullshitting about how they're still negotiating with Sega or something, presumably to avoid having to definitively say they're done.

They were still negotiating with Sega, but those negotiations were apparently about being able to finish current storylines.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So apparently IDW now has the Sonic license, so I guess we'll need a new thread for the Sonic comics when they start publishing them

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Crossposting from the Sonic games thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drrockso20 posted:

So apparently IDW now has the Sonic license, so I guess we'll need a new thread for the Sonic comics when they start publishing them

How does IDW keep getting all the licenses anyway?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

How does IDW keep getting all the licenses anyway?

They make a pitch and if the owner of the IP likes it they are awarded the licence.

That or Ryall sucks a lot of dick.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

X-O posted:

Gonna be honest, I know people were head over heals for Fiona Staples on Archie but I think Veronica Fish was the best artist by far on the book and I miss her. Joe Eisma is fine too, but Fish's issues looked the best to me. Derek Charm's Jughead is great too. The Sabrina issues looked really good.

Fiona Staples had star-power, better to admit it. I liked her run, but being only familiar with her work on Saga, some of her faces reminded me too much of Saga for me to be entirely comfortable with her art on Archie.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I guess now that everything but Archie is on hiatus or dead (save one last Josie issue), it's time for Archie to get weird again.

Good to see that Ian Flynn is still getting work from Archie--he's working on a new Dark Circle title.

This was announced a few weeks ago, but the Jughead werewolf thing is also getting an ongoing.

And the most out-of-nowhere one, a series set in a Riverdale where Betty and Veronica lead a biker gang. I'll admit to seeing the old variant cover and thinking "why couldn't this be a series", but confronted with it in reality, I realize I don't actually find that premise appealing.

I'm... not actually that hot on any of these in theory, and I have serious doubts about the longevity of any of them, but I'll give them a read anyway.

That said, I'm super OK with Archie Comics being so willing to throw everything to the wall and seeing what sticks, and I hope they never ever stop doing that.

Edit: too lazy to pull up links but I forgot to mention that The Archies is getting an ongoing too, and they're reviving a really old property I'd never even heard of, Cosmo, with Ian Flynn--tonally, this seems to be the one that's going to be filling the Sonic void.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 8, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Who owns the Harvey stuff? I need an edgy Richie Rich relaunch. And Casper straight up gorefest messing fools up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Scaramouche posted:

I need an edgy Richie Rich relaunch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wait... is Trump secretly his 12 year old self in a Big/13 Going On 30 situation? That would explain a lot!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Argue posted:

Good to see that Ian Flynn is still getting work from Archie--he's working on a new Dark Circle title.

The Shield was great and it's severe lack of actually coming out means I'm not trying this even though I really want to.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Scaramouche posted:

Who owns the Harvey stuff? I need an edgy Richie Rich relaunch. And Casper straight up gorefest messing fools up.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Ok so that's Wendy and Hot Stuff, but :effort: on the F4 homage, they could've added wereduck Baby Huey or something.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

So hey am I allowed to post, say, old Wilbur or Katy Keene comics that are in the public domain? Would anyone be interested in seeing stuff like that in this thread? I thought it might liven up discussion or at least be fun to look at for a little bit. Not sure if that breaks rules.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That updated Wendy design is loathsome. Not because I'm attached to the original one, but it's such an uninspired COOL KID look. It's like someone made an OC for their Teen Titans fan comic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

feetnotes posted:

So hey am I allowed to post, say, old Wilbur or Katy Keene comics that are in the public domain? Would anyone be interested in seeing stuff like that in this thread? I thought it might liven up discussion or at least be fun to look at for a little bit. Not sure if that breaks rules.

If it's in the Public Domain it should be perfectly fine to post, maybe post some Golden Age MLJ Superhero comics as well

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Cool, so I'm gonna start in with some selections from Laugh Comix, Summer 1944. There's a variety of stuff in here, kinda showcasing the different teenager- and gag-oriented comics that were popular at the time. As you can see from the cover, comics were still being published under the MLJ name; although Archie had joined their cast of characters starting in Pep in 1941, the company wouldn't change its name for a couple of more years in 1946.

The cover and first story feature Suzie, who was becoming so popular she'd take over the Laugh title about 5 issues after this one.

Obviously, the plotline hews pretty closely to the familiar "Archie fucks everything up" formula, but the female hero probably appealed to girls more. Of course there are plenty of opportunities for very scandalous 40s bathing suits.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Speaking of Archie screwing up, anyone got that panel from the first issue of the reboot where Archie somehow sets ice cream on fire?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of Archie screwing up, anyone got that panel from the first issue of the reboot where Archie somehow sets ice cream on fire?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That guy's reaction is just pure comedy gold

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Archie's klutziness kind of took a darker turn during the election arc though, when someone reacting to it rather loudly lead to lots of drama down the road. Note to Betty : do not ask Archie to fix things, the boy is a klutz and lacks common sense. Like, who the hell goes to drive in a car race in flip-flops?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

And now: Hillbillies!

I know nothing about Pokey Oakey. It seems his stories ran in a few different compilation titles, but never caught on. I'm more used to seeing this kind of humor from daily comic strips like Li'l Abner, Barney Google or Pogo, but this is roughly the same era.

"Pistol Packin' Mama" was the title of a 1943 movie, that seems not to bear much resemblance to this story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39ALX4neIk

• Locked thread