Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Oh so the Adult Years is Life with Archie? Sounds interesting and I might look for the first volume and try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Whatever happens in the book can't compare to This Version of grown up Archie. I'm really not sure why they thought making it a sex-comedy was a good idea.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The latest Mega Man is kind of sad. Dr. Wily's so close to choosing to reform, but turns away and the history of the franchise shows us that he will never come closer.

Well, other than the time he cured the robo-influenza.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

...that he created.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the X crossover's gonna go. The concept of the X series always interests me because, y'know, for it to exist, at some point in the Mega Man timeline Rock and all the other significant robotic characters have to die somehow (Light and Wily can die naturally, but presumably if nothing destroyed him, Mega should keep running for years upon years into the future) and so the preview with the broken helmet has me really pumped.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

...that he created.

Right, but it still means something that he chose to leave the cure in his hospital bed after Mega Man saved his life.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Gavok posted:

The latest Mega Man is kind of sad. Dr. Wily's so close to choosing to reform, but turns away and the history of the franchise shows us that he will never come closer.

Of course not. After so long I imagine he can't see himself doing anything else. To say nothing of the fact that Mega Man's a real challenge for him.

It's a old question: I wonder if he's thought of what he'll do if he actually manages to win?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Choco1980 posted:

Whatever happens in the book can't compare to This Version of grown up Archie. I'm really not sure why they thought making it a sex-comedy was a good idea.

I know Archie is sort of kitchy and camp and has been for years, aiming mostly at young girls and kids.

With that being said, other than their attempts at emulating anime/manga character designs and changing Sabrina up to be a Sailor Moon-like thing, it seems like Archie comics might actually be pretty well suited in the US market to attempt a semi-serious/semi-comedy teen romance and relationship storytelling of some anime/manga aimed at that same audience.

Not going as full on mature as Archie Zombie, but something closer to a Maison Ikkoku.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

oh sure, but that is pretty far removed from the 90's tv movie I linked to, where the gang is all grown up and goes back to Riverdale for a high school reunion, and "zany" adult situations ensue, like Archie having now three woman chasing him at the same time with zero subtlety in regards to the sex part of it. I also remember a dumb bit where Jughead does this "rap" version of "Sugar, Sugar" to impress his son. It was embarrassing at the time, so you can imagine how painful it is now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Choco1980 posted:

oh sure, but that is pretty far removed from the 90's tv movie I linked to, where the gang is all grown up and goes back to Riverdale for a high school reunion, and "zany" adult situations ensue, like Archie having now three woman chasing him at the same time with zero subtlety in regards to the sex part of it. I also remember a dumb bit where Jughead does this "rap" version of "Sugar, Sugar" to impress his son. It was embarrassing at the time, so you can imagine how painful it is now.

You're welcome? :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBojt6fDVvw

I would say that apart from the sex references in the 90s movie, the Life With Archie comic actually deals with more "realistic" adult issues--the film's main conflict IIRC was their attempt to save the Choklit Shoppe from being demolished by Mr. Lodge, which played out in a relatively wholesome way.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Argue posted:

It started off interesting; apart from all the adult issues they faced, there was this whole nutty subplot about Dilton travelling back and forth between the two dimensions to prevent a multiversal collapse.

Ah ha ha what

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Ah ha ha what

Yeah, they establish that every Archie story ever published takes place in some shared multiverse. The resolution of that was probably the peak of the comic; it's entirely mundane matters now with no nutty sci-fi arcs. But basically, this happened:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I guess since Sonic comics got a reboot to get rid of their crazy, Riverdale's picking up the slack? Archie HQ must hand out editorial mandates that say "Our comics have to maintain a certain level of batshit insanity, we don't care which book in particular is nuts".

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Not going to lie, written today, a gender-swapped Archie might be an interesting read. Also, I like the Archie that's wearing The Shield's outfit. Also Also, I'm pretty sure I had several issues of li'l Archie down in the lower left there.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Choco1980 posted:

Not going to lie, written today, a gender-swapped Archie might be an interesting read.

Would it? Gender-swap universe would be all those stories of Reggie and Archie one-upping each other to hook up with Veronica but with the characters shuffled.

I wanna know more about Megamind Archie over there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

Not going to lie, written today, a gender-swapped Archie might be an interesting read. Also, I like the Archie that's wearing The Shield's outfit. Also Also, I'm pretty sure I had several issues of li'l Archie down in the lower left there.

It wasn't all that. http://i.imgur.com/ZrKokr7.jpg

Illustrated by Giselle, one of the more frequently mentioned creators in the bad webcomics thread (she made Menage-A-3, aka: Archieme).

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Admittedly not quite what I had in mind.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Anyone else laugh out loud to them self at the court scene in todays megaman?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, is Afterlife with Archie on break after Issue 4?

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

No, I received my copy of Issue 5 last week. It took a while to receive but it was definitely worth the wait. Issue 5 has some crazy stuff going down. From what I've heard, issue 6 is gonna be a wild lovecraftian ride.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Archie Comics announces new horror series starring Sabrina; it is not a spinoff of Afterlife With Archie, but its own thing, done as a period piece in the 60s, and taking inspiration from Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist. I'm fairly optimistic about this, since that kind of horror is different enough from zombies to be its own cool thing.

I know I'm a bit partial towards them to begin with, but it's still crazy to think that some of the best horror comics to be published in The Year of Our Lord 2014 have starred Archie Andrews and his zany friends.

Edit: Strictly speaking this is more like a reboot of an ancient horror title Archie used to publish, which had Sabrina acting as the title's Cryptkeeper. I haven't seen a lot of it but they were doing serious horror stories, except the art was all in Archie-style, which had to be jarring.

Argue fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 4, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah after the way Afterlife With Archie turned out I'm down with what they want to do, especially moving away from zombie horror even though my gut reaction is still :stare:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never bought an Archie comic before, but I read a blurb about #656, where they're introducing a cool new girl who just happens to have a disability. I want to buy it for my wife, who isn't into comics at all, but she wrote her dissertation on women with disabilities and their identities of resistance, and she's teaching a class on Critical Disability Studies in the fall.

Is it out yet, and has anyone read it? How do they treat the character with the disability? Too often, characters with disabilities are portrayed as bitter, ranging anywhere from chips on their shoulders to outright villains, or they're or sexless/asexual characters who exist to be cheerful and inspirational, to make the main characters feel better about themselves.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've never bought an Archie comic before, but I read a blurb about #656, where they're introducing a cool new girl who just happens to have a disability. I want to buy it for my wife, who isn't into comics at all, but she wrote her dissertation on women with disabilities and their identities of resistance, and she's teaching a class on Critical Disability Studies in the fall.

Is it out yet, and has anyone read it? How do they treat the character with the disability? Too often, characters with disabilities are portrayed as bitter, ranging anywhere from chips on their shoulders to outright villains, or they're or sexless/asexual characters who exist to be cheerful and inspirational, to make the main characters feel better about themselves.

Mainstream Archie comics are ridiculously tame, and even as progressive as they've gotten, I can't say that adults would find them interesting at all.

That said, I have not read it, but I imagine that Archie is the last comic publisher that would write a disabled person as a villain. If Kevin Keller is any indication to go by--his being gay has been written as incidental, rather than central, to the character--the writers these days know how to treat minority groups respectfully. There's a preview here, to give you an idea of what it's like: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=21913

Actually, although Archie seems to have been promoting this as their first disabled character, I can think of at least one other recurring character off the top of my head--Anita, a love interest for Jughead who was not only paraplegic, but also black; considering it was the 90s, I'd say this was pretty radical for Archie. Of course, she was quickly forgotten about; she lasted only a little bit longer than Jughead's awful haircut. Plus, unlike the way they write now, those comics would always feel the need to include some lines about her disability and how she can still function (or so I'm reading from some site; I'll have to see if I can find my old comics lying around so I can verify).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thank you! This is surprisingly progressive, from the simple standpoint of how to act around people with disabilities. I think she'll be able to use the comic in her class in some way. (I've been sure to tell her all about Oracle, Professor Xavier, Daredevil, and any number of villains who use wheelchairs or canes or have physical deformities and are angry at the world about it.)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
So what's up with this Sonic reboot I've heard about? Continuity reboots are a great way to lose an existing audience's investment in the universe-what brought this on?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Discendo Vox posted:

So what's up with this Sonic reboot I've heard about? Continuity reboots are a great way to lose an existing audience's investment in the universe-what brought this on?

From what I understand

-Writer named Ken Penders writes the series for like 9 years and invents like 150 characters (half of which are Echindnas to give Knuckles a ridiculously bloated extended family): what's worse is that half the time the comic focuses on all these characters instead of, you know, Sonic. Penders is also one of those incredibly arrogant, self-absorbed assholes who vastly inflates his own skill and importance and creative genius. Everything wrong with fiction, really: some stories suggest Panders may be outright insane. Finally, Penders tries to pull a power play and quit the comic wanting Archie Comics to beg him to come back. Reality smacks him in the face and Penders is replaced by the far superior in talent and attitude Ian Flynn.
-Flynn spends several years cleaning up Penders' mess and generally making chicken salad out of chicken poo poo.
-Penders files a lawsuit to claim ownership of all the characters he invented. It should have been an open and shut case, except Archie Comics was so badly mismanaged in the late 90's that they'd actually lost Penders' original contract that would have said 'Anything you create belongs to us'. Without the original document, they cannot prove ownership, so Penders ends up winning and gains control of these 150 characters.
-As these characters can no longer be used in the wider Sonic comic fictional universe, they must reboot continuity to remove them all.

So yeah, it's Penders' fault.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

From what I understand

-Writer named Ken Penders writes the series for like 9 years and invents like 150 characters (half of which are Echindnas to give Knuckles a ridiculously bloated extended family): what's worse is that half the time the comic focuses on all these characters instead of, you know, Sonic. Penders is also one of those incredibly arrogant, self-absorbed assholes who vastly inflates his own skill and importance and creative genius. Everything wrong with fiction, really: some stories suggest Panders may be outright insane. Finally, Penders tries to pull a power play and quit the comic wanting Archie Comics to beg him to come back. Reality smacks him in the face and Penders is replaced by the far superior in talent and attitude Ian Flynn.
-Flynn spends several years cleaning up Penders' mess and generally making chicken salad out of chicken poo poo.
-Penders files a lawsuit to claim ownership of all the characters he invented. It should have been an open and shut case, except Archie Comics was so badly mismanaged in the late 90's that they'd actually lost Penders' original contract that would have said 'Anything you create belongs to us'. Without the original document, they cannot prove ownership, so Penders ends up winning and gains control of these 150 characters.
-As these characters can no longer be used in the wider Sonic comic fictional universe, they must reboot continuity to remove them all.

So yeah, it's Penders' fault.
Weren't most of them like slightly different variations of Knuckles anyway?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Larryb posted:

Yeah most of them were found to be so derivative that he ended up not actually owning them but Archie banished them to limbo just in case and because who loving needs 150 knuckles variants. The whole thing was entertainingly crazy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of them was named Steppenwolf. Only name I remember, because I always found that funny.

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Discendo Vox posted:

Thankfully most fans seem to be pretty on board with what the comic has become (some are still sad about losing stories they've read all their lives of course), I've picked up a couple issues since the reboot and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Also hilariously Penders released a new image from his upcoming ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER: THE COMIC and it's totally not ripping off SEGA characters guys

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

The version Penders drew himself is a much better representation of just how copy/paste the Brotherhood (and most of the Echidnas in the Knuckles comic) were. Couple that with his writing and it's no wonder the spin-off only lasted 25 issues.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Onmi practically wrote a master's thesis in the bad runs thread if you wanna read all about it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Lucille, God gave me a gift. I draw a cartoon echidna well. I draw a cartoon echidna very well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though with it we did lose some honestly cool characters that Penders had no right to what so ever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MykonosFan posted:

Thankfully most fans seem to be pretty on board with what the comic has become (some are still sad about losing stories they've read all their lives of course), I've picked up a couple issues since the reboot and I'm pretty pleased with it.

Also hilariously Penders released a new image from his upcoming ORIGINAL THE CHARACTER: THE COMIC and it's totally not ripping off SEGA characters guys

Is he teaming up with Christian Weston Chandler?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

drat, Afterlife With Archie just escalated things in a big way. :stare: It might sound campy when I describe it, but it was done really well: The entire issue was us finding out what's happened to Sabrina. She's on earth, in the hands of a cult led by HP Lovecraft. I'm only tangentially familiar with the mythos, but there are a lot of references in there--and we learn that by dooming the world, Sabrina has made the time ripe for the Old Ones to return. And by the end of the issue... well... Let's just say Francavilla clearly enjoyed drawing this issue. If this isn't your thing, though, not to worry, because the stuff in here probably won't come into play until later down the line anyway; next month, we're back to Archie and the gang versus zombies.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I was worried the series stopped but I'm glad Afterlife had more coming and looking forward to that Sabrina series.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, those black bars are so tempting!! I have a subscription for Afterlife with Archie and I'm hoping that when I get home tonight, my copy is waiting for me. From the sounds of it, this issue is gonna be too wild!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That was possibly the most unsettling comic I've read in a very long time. The Wicker Man and Rosemary's Baby nods worked really well in pushing the whole thing to a truly dread finalé.

The prologue-preview for her new series was sinister as gently caress too. The whole thing leaves me feeling like I'm in some kind of Bizarro World where Archie comics are the most unsettling of them all.

• Locked thread