Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Zoe posted:

Whoa, say what now?

The original Robotnik died by being erased from reality. Then Robo-Robotnik decided a conquered world wasn't enugh and came to Sonic Prime(ugh)'s universe. He eventually blew up and transferred his consciousness to the robot body that has Eggman's appearence. And then aliens made him into a human again.

Penders.

e:

Stink Terios fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
makes perfect sense

I like the muscley one with the shades.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It isn't as entertaining as STC's explanation for his change from his original games appearance to his Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog design, which went something like this (in STC #21):

Then, on the first page of STC #22:

All the explanation it needs, really.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also that another dimension stuff is moot because of the retcon.

Metal Loaf posted:

(STC Stuff)

Yep. That happened. Brittish Comics are weird. (:scotland:) oddly enough Snively was to be STC Robotnik's assistant untill something (probably legal) fell though and Grimer become a thing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 11, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah post-genesis wave eggman has just always been eggman

they also ditched all the weird confusing julian kintobor stuff

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yep. That happened. Brittish Comics are weird. (:scotland:) oddly enough Snively was to be STC Robotnik's assistant untill something (probably legal) fell though and Grimer become a thing.

Grimer was a more interesting character than Snively, though, so it was a win for STC.

Some of those old STCs are well ropey, but once the comic hit its stride there was a lot of really cool stuff in it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 11, 2015

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

Grimer was a more interesting character than Snively, though, so it was a win for STC.

Some of those old STCs are well ropey, but once the comic hit its stride there was a lot of really cool stuff in it.

The brotherhood of Metallix is a story that I remember being pumped for back in the day, the chaotix stories were really cool - although that might have been because I never got to play the chaotix game - and issue 100 was a great cap to the Robotnik ruling the world story (I got the comic from around issue 20 to 120).

And all the knuckles stories were great - there was one where he had to get a new master emerald from an old graveyard that was pretty haunting to young me. And Dr Zachary (the only other echidna in the comics asides from flashbacks and maybe Tikal if they did sonic adventure) was the best non-game echidna ever created. Take that Penders.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Almost all titles discussed in this thread are in in this weeks humble bundle. Though I question the decision to only include the first and last books of the married life series. The cover/title alone is a massive spoiler.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Which really sucks cuz I bought all of Worlds' Collide for my Christmas Trip.

Gonna hold back and see what the extra books are before I go for this.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I am intrigued by the Archie Humble Bundle. I used to read some of the double digests back when I was a kid, but I barely remember anything about it anymore. I do remember enjoying it a lot. Is the humble bundle worth getting?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If you like the traditional stuff you're getting literally thousands of pages of that, plus some Mega Man, Afterlife, and Life With... stuff, all of which have been well reviewed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Akarshi posted:

I am intrigued by the Archie Humble Bundle. I used to read some of the double digests back when I was a kid, but I barely remember anything about it anymore. I do remember enjoying it a lot. Is the humble bundle worth getting?
It's worth it for Afterlife with Archie alone.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Hey, out of all of the current Megaman Graphic Novels, which ones are the best? I recently got into Megaman after reading the Worlds Collide series.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

CowboyAndy posted:

Hey, out of all of the current Megaman Graphic Novels, which ones are the best? I recently got into Megaman after reading the Worlds Collide series.

It takes a little context to get everything out of most of them, but Spiritus Ex Machina is a good one since it can largely stand alone, and it's a good showcase of the surprisingly deep writing the comic has.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

J Detan posted:

It takes a little context to get everything out of most of them, but Spiritus Ex Machina is a good one since it can largely stand alone, and it's a good showcase of the surprisingly deep writing the comic has.

I started with Rock of Ages just because it promised the introduction of Blues, who is and always will be the best character, but then again I was familiar with the games and had wasted much of my youth reading fanfic about the setting. Spiritus probably is the better choice for someone completely new to Mega Man, though. It also has the best cover art.

Rock of Ages --> Breaking Point --> Blackout all sort of tie together, and the Sonic story is right in the middle of that.

Though honestly if you managed to follow Worlds Collide with no problem, you should be able to jump in just about anywhere with Mega Man. It's really not a complicated series for the most part, and the little blurb in the beginning provides most of the context you need. And honestly the basics of the setting and and main characters haven't changed much since the 8-bit Nintendo days.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Man, I really hope none of the Capcom bigwigs see Mega Man crying on the cover of the latest issue or Flynn's run is screwed. :ohdear:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Gavok posted:

Man, I really hope none of the Capcom bigwigs see Mega Man crying on the cover of the latest issue or Flynn's run is screwed. :ohdear:

This implies that capcom gives a poo poo about megaman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Hey, the top of Mega Man's comic says it's one of the most compelling stories in comics. It doesn't have something the incredible irony of having "way past cool" at the top of any potential melodrama.

Monaghan posted:

This implies that capcom gives a poo poo about megaman.

Hey, they care! They care so much they let another company make his best/only game in years!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
We're counting Smash 4 in the MM cannon now?

Besides that the issue's pretty darn great from what I've thumbed though.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I wish they didn't take so long to put these collections together, I was waiting a looong time to buy Redemption and now it looks like I've got to get through some X storyline before I get to Crying Mega Man.

I can just never bring myself to buy single issues, it really bugs me having them all floating around, even digitally.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Zoe posted:

I wish they didn't take so long to put these collections together, I was waiting a looong time to buy Redemption and now it looks like I've got to get through some X storyline before I get to Crying Mega Man.

I can just never bring myself to buy single issues, it really bugs me having them all floating around, even digitally.

They're DRM free now and come in the super handy CBR/Z format so it's a bit of work (and slightly more expensive) but if you rock a decent comic reader program (or a tablet or a 4.5 inch or bigger phone) then you can just unzip those and put them in an unofficial GN Volume.

Heck, now that I think about it, that would be pretty neat as you could put the covers and letters page to the back and have it just go in one continuous story stream.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 7, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weird quirk/question based on the recent Humble Bundle: I'm reading the best-of-Sabrina volume that was included, and a bunch of the stories look like they're done in negative style or drawn in white ink on black paper. Is this a screw-up or was there an artist/period on Sabrina where this was in vogue?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ConanThe3rd posted:

They're DRM free now and come in the super handy CBR/Z format so it's a bit of work (and slightly more expensive) but if you rock a decent comic reader program (or a tablet or a 4.5 inch or bigger phone) then you can just unzip those and put them in an unofficial GN Volume.

Heck, now that I think about it, that would be pretty neat as you could put the covers and letters page to the back and have it just go in one continuous story stream.

This may be a dumb question but what is the best way to get these comics digitally? Like, between Comixpedia, Amazon, Google Books, iTunes and the Archie website I'm not sure what I should be going with. I got a few issues from Kobo but the desktop reader is a little awkward for comic books and they keep trying to sync with my e-reader.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I don't know about 'best' but I use Comixology on my Kindle and have never had any complaints.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

YggiDee posted:

This may be a dumb question but what is the best way to get these comics digitally? Like, between Comixpedia, Amazon, Google Books, iTunes and the Archie website I'm not sure what I should be going with. I got a few issues from Kobo but the desktop reader is a little awkward for comic books and they keep trying to sync with my e-reader.

Comixology, ether read online, use the app or download the DRM Free copies they provide and do as you will with that.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Weird quirk/question based on the recent Humble Bundle: I'm reading the best-of-Sabrina volume that was included, and a bunch of the stories look like they're done in negative style or drawn in white ink on black paper. Is this a screw-up or was there an artist/period on Sabrina where this was in vogue?

I just looked through the HQ PDF of the collection, and I couldn't find anything like you're talking about here. I'd guess it's a mistake?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

feetnotes posted:

I just looked through the HQ PDF of the collection, and I couldn't find anything like you're talking about here. I'd guess it's a mistake?

Huh. I thought that was less likely, consdering there's still some colour, and am kinda disappointed. It's a neat effect.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=26155

Get hyped :allears:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really don't know what the hell is going through the heads of the archie staff, but I love it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Someone in the funny panels thread expressed interest in a writeup about Jughead's love life, so I thought I'd oblige.

I should note that I'm limiting myself to one particular run of Jughead comics--this is neither the first time nor the last that Jughead's found himself involved with women. Historically, Jughead's rotated in and out of interest in girls since the 70s--the run I describe is probably his most well-remembered flirtation with liking girls. Similarly, the backstory I describe may or may not be true in any given Jughead story, as most Archie stories don't actually have a real canon, existing instead in some kind of quantum state where you never know whether a previous story happened until it's explicitly brought up.

It was mentioned in another thread that Jughead doesn't like girls bcause he was already in love with a girl named January, but this isn't entirely accurate. While he'd long since evolved beyond his He-Man Woman Haters Club days into someone who actually maintained friendships with females, Archie Comics tried to take it a step further by giving him a new backstory explaining why he didn't want to date anyone. This began the company's first serious attempt at giving Forsythe P. Jones recurring love interests.

As we find out later, Jughead was not born in Riverdale--as a child, he had to move away from his old hometown, separating him from his childhood sweetheart, Joani Jumpp. Ever since then, he's been afraid of letting himself love anyone again for fear of getting hurt the same way.

Debbie was the first girl since Joani that Jughead had developed feelings for. They first bonded over their mutual love for the drummer, Crazy Willie Jim (that's literally a whole other story), and easily found a lot more in common with each other. Needless to say, Jughead was pretty confused at all the feelings he found welling up inside.

At the same time, Joani sent him a letter telling him that she'd be in town for a while and she wanted to see him. And because this is the world of Archie, where you can carry a torch for someone you haven't seen since you were what, five years old? They rekindle their feelings for each other. Eventually, she moved to Riverdale, which upgraded (downgraded?) Jughead's straightforward dating life into a love triangle.

Did I say triangle? Apparently, a triangle wasn't enough! It was also around then that Jughead found himself as a member of the Time Police, a task force from the 29th century dedicated to preserving the integrity of the space-time continuum. Bet you didn't see that coming! While this mostly took place inside its own comic, Jughead's recruitment happened during roughly the same run of issues that we met Debbie and Joani. Marshall January McAndrews, Archie's descendant from the future, first established contact with him to save his life--it turns out that Jughead eventually has an idea that leads to world peace, reaching Bill and Ted levels of hero worship. During this time, they also develop an attraction to each other, and after a few adventures, he gets recruited into the Time Police (which is, yet again, a whole other story).

I was a kid when all of this stuff came out, and I was actually a pretty big fan of all those developments. However, it seems that I was a minority in that, as Archie Comics deemed the experiment a failure, and in the span of one issue, had all three girls break up with Jughead. This was in Jughead #18.

I don't know the specifics of what happened, because this is an issue I have been looking for basically my whole life and I'd appreciate it if anyone could hook me up with it so that I can fill this Jughead-shaped hole in my childhood. However, what I know is that Debbie started seeing other guys, Joani had to move away yet again, and presumably, January couldn't risk destroying the timestream.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0TYML0t.jpg][/timg]
Following all of this, Jughead regressed into being a huge 50s-era Jughead misogynist. Since this was the 90s, thankfully, he was called out on it in the very same issue, where he resolves his feelings and has a heart to heart talk with Ethel, the one girl who was there before and after the soap opera of his life happened. (fun fact: why does Jughead like Pickens Park so much? Probably because HE--yes, he, Jughead Jones--is in fact Colonel Pickens, the very same Civil War hero the park was named after.) There would (and will always be) more romance in Jughead's future, but with this saga being his first real fling with romance, it was probably the most memorable of them.

And there you have it, the story of a weird--but nowhere near the weirdest--time in Jughead's life.

Argue fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 22, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I love these posts and frankly I just love that "Jughead's Time Police" is a thing that existed. I mean, I only got into comics relatively recently but hot drat the Big Two can't hold a candle to "Man who eats burgers all day becomes TIME COP".

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

My god, that was even more amazing than I had hoped. I vaguely recall seeing advertisements for some of these plotlines in contemporary digest releases (Second-hand copies of which were really the only source of Archie comics I had access to), but seeing it all laid out is just a gas.

If only for bits like this:

Argue posted:

(fun fact: why does Jughead like Pickens Park so much? Probably because HE--yes, he, Jughead Jones--is in fact Colonel Pickens, the very same Civil War hero the park was named after.)

:allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Wait, on what side did he fight? Was he a confederate or union Colonel? This is important.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, on what side did he fight? Was he a confederate or union Colonel? This is important.

You see, Jughead became something of a Civil War buff after seeing what he believed was Colonel Pickens' ghost in Mr. Lodge's study (where Mr. Lodge kept an accurate diorama of the Battle of Riverdale). One day, he was poring through some old books trying to solve the mystery of the ghost, when he realized that he was present in an old daguerreotype, as a prisoner. Concluding that he would one day go into the past and be captured, he decided to go and rescue himself, which as you may have guessed, is what led to his imprisonment in the first place. (the officers who captured him suggested that the "S" on his sweater might stand for "South" or possibly even "Spy", because sure, I guess that's exactly what a confederate spy might wear)

However, this triggered an alert at Time Police HQ, which resulted in January asking a much older, retired Jughead for help. He then reveals that he'd always known this would happen, because his older self came to rescue him when he was his younger self--which is also how he knew that he would one day become Colonel Pickens.

He travels back in time, stopping at Mr. Lodge's study along the way to refresh his memory about the positions of the confederates; he eventually lands at the Union HQ (at the spot where the Choklit Shoppe would one day be), where he impersonates a Union officer. He gains Lincoln's--yes, Lincoln is there, and they actually address that there is no historical record of Lincoln ever going to Riverdale--he gains Lincoln's trust by revealing his intimate knowledge of the USS Monitor.He gives them tactical advice, then at some point, fakes his heroic death by time travelling home just as a cannonball explodes nearby. Jughead, being his aide, is pardoned, and allowed to leave.

Every so often, Archie will do a storyline about saving the Choklit Shoppe, and more than once, it's ended with the shop being declared a historical landmark. Jughead has on at least one occasion helped with this by identifying the shop in old Civil War photos, so I'd like to think his Time Police adventures are still canon, even though they haven't been mentioned since the 90s.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

If they keep even one smidgen of their ultra loose continuity in the upcoming reboot, by god do I hope it's everything related to Jughead's Time Police. I mean, that is pure gold right there. Pure gold.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

The last issue before the reboot is #666 so if anything it would involve Betty and Veronica selling their marriages (in their respective universes) to Mephisto in exchange for making Archie live again.

Edit: Also, did I mention that Jughead's Time Police was drawn by Gene Colan?

Edit 2: To my shame, I made some grievous errors regarding the timeline of these events: While Jughead did meet and fall for January McAndrews during the course of his love triangle arc, the Time Police series didn't happen until AFTER Jughead #18. Thus, she was not in Jughead #18 to break up with him, but rather, to recruit him into the Time Police. This means that there was never a resolution to Jughead's relationship with Jan, who just vanished after the series ended (although she's been seen in backgrounds once in a blue moon, like a Fringe observer).

Also, her initial contact with Jughead wasn't to save his life, but to make sure Jughead saved an important senator.

Argue fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 23, 2015

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Cool thread so far, I read a ton of Archie and Sonic when I was younger. Pretty impressed with Sonic's upturn in particular these days, Tracey Yardley's art is pretty fun.

I'm actually trying to dig up a particular Archie story that I remember liking and wanted to see again, and was hoping someone here had heard of it: It involves the usual gang of idiots wrecking Mr Lodge's boat in a storm, but takes a goofy turn as everyone wades ashore in period garb, planting a flag and claiming their island "for her majesty." The rest of the story has a bunch of relatively outlandish (by archie standards) one-panel visual gags like this, the other one I remember is Veronica harping at the guys who are drawn as basically giant heads, stacked up like a totem pole for some reason. I don't recall which digest I read this in, or the writer or artist, unfortunately.

Anyone have any ideas? Not sure where else would be a good spot to ask. Maybe I should just write in.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Sooo, Worlds Unite?

Not just a Sonic/Mega Man crossover.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If that comes to be any where near half of how awesome it could be.... :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised to realise recently that Ian Flynn has been writing Sonic for nearly 10 years now.

• Locked thread