Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've never bought an Archie comic before, but I read a blurb about #656, where they're introducing a cool new girl who just happens to have a disability. I want to buy it for my wife, who isn't into comics at all, but she wrote her dissertation on women with disabilities and their identities of resistance, and she's teaching a class on Critical Disability Studies in the fall.

Is it out yet, and has anyone read it? How do they treat the character with the disability? Too often, characters with disabilities are portrayed as bitter, ranging anywhere from chips on their shoulders to outright villains, or they're or sexless/asexual characters who exist to be cheerful and inspirational, to make the main characters feel better about themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Thank you! This is surprisingly progressive, from the simple standpoint of how to act around people with disabilities. I think she'll be able to use the comic in her class in some way. (I've been sure to tell her all about Oracle, Professor Xavier, Daredevil, and any number of villains who use wheelchairs or canes or have physical deformities and are angry at the world about it.)

• Locked thread