Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Benson Cunningham posted:

If you can't dynamically scale your servers to support users for what amounts to an online only game in 2013, you should have to give people their loving money back. This is embarrassing and I have no desire to continue their game after trying to navigate their launch.

I could make this game in a god drat web browser in 2 weeks.

No, you couldn't. Or if you can, knock yourself out and I'll play it. I don't know what to tell you if you're still surprised at the first 6 hours of launch of an online game being unstable like literally every online game that has come out in the past decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Rent posted:

Bought this when it was in early access. Between this and scrolls both sucking rear end, I want a good card game :(

Might & Magic: Duel of Champions has really grown on me after initially seeming somewhat pay-to-win. It actually has fairly deep mechanics. No player economy though.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's not just server load issues, it's the general presentation. I'm amazed they're confident enough in this to show it to everyone.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The presentation is fine. The connectivity is not a problem right now because it is :siren:literally day one of an open beta:siren:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lone Goat posted:

The presentation is fine. The connectivity is not a problem right now because it is :siren:literally day one of an open beta:siren:

Im not comfortable calling it an open beta once they start selling packs, but apart from that yeah, seriously. Everything going wrong is server problems and there are no online games anymore that don't have these issues for days at launch.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
My PC client just sits at the loading screen after it launches. I have no idea what it's doing.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Yeah, if you charge people real money for in game items, you aren't in beta anymore.

JoshTheStampede posted:

No, you couldn't. Or if you can, knock yourself out and I'll play it. I don't know what to tell you if you're still surprised at the first 6 hours of launch of an online game being unstable like literally every online game that has come out in the past decade.

There are no complex interactions here. You have a life total, a deck, lanes, and a few affects. You give me the .pngs, some css animations, and $50,000, and I will give you this game in two weeks time.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 14, 2013

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Charge people real money for ingame items that disappear when the beta goes live. I had a nekrium starter vanish.

Edit: As well as the starter decks. Also there seem to be a couple new cards that solely exist to be shittier versions of better cards. Ether Hounds is definitely just an underpowered echowisp. Unless echowisp was rebalanced like a couple other "must-have" cards that got rebalanced to ridiculousness.

I.E.

Firestorm is a lovely version of epidemic now.
Uranti Bolt is a lovely version of Uranti bolt now.

quote:

There are no complex interactions here. You have a life total, a deck, lanes, and a few affects. You give me the .pngs, some css animations, and $50,000, and I will give you this game in two weeks time.

Give me all the content, and I will give it all back to you in a slightly different format in only two weeks time!

Spanish Matlock fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 14, 2013

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Firestorm is a lovely version of epidemic now.
Uranti Bolt is a lovely version of Uranti bolt now.

Firestorm got better.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Firestorm got better.

In the sense that it is not as good as a black card that also reduces attack and bypasses armor? It doesn't even damage players anymore.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

In the sense that it is not as good as a black card that also reduces attack and bypasses armor? It doesn't even damage players anymore.

Epidemic affects your creatures too.

THIS GAME WORKS SO WELL.

(He should be a 7/7)

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Epidemic affects your creatures too.

THIS GAME WORKS SO WELL.

(He should be a 7/7)

Firestorm affects your creatures too.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Spanish Matlock posted:

Firestorm affects your creatures too.

Ah, I didn't see that part of the change- it is bad.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
This game feels like a bullshit cash grab Way too many legendaries and 80% of them are better than the rest of the cards. I wish we stayed in beta forever and I never needed to find out how hosed I got by kickstarting for like $175.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Karnegal posted:

This game feels like a bullshit cash grab Way too many legendaries and 80% of them are better than the rest of the cards. I wish we stayed in beta forever and I never needed to find out how hosed I got by kickstarting for like $175.

Thats a hell of an anti-endorsement coming from the thread's OP.

So is this game hosed?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
The game also makes you randomly lose games. I've had games where my opponent was at -20 life and I had 94 and I still lost because they have retarded children coding their game. It's pretty unforgivable to release a game in this state when you expect people to pay you to play.

Berk Berkly posted:

So is this game hosed?

As of now, this is the worst of the the ~40 things I have kickstarted.

EDIT: The amount of cash you'd have to spend to get 3 of a specific legendary is so high that it's absurd. It feels on par with Magic, only I don't get physical cards and the game is brand new not 20 years old, so I feel far less secure in the odds of the game being around a year from now.

EDIT 2: I should note that before playing SF I spent all night drinking and playing games with friends, so I might be overly emotional about how pissed off I am, but I am certainly disappointed.

EDIT 3: Just won another game that then displayed a "you lose" screen; gently caress this game

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 14, 2013

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah, there are a couple card nerfs snuck in with the release that don't make much sense. The random computer decks are stacked with new rares and legendaries to the point where the deck that I was able to cobble together from my 20 boosters and none of the other stuff I actually bought (which is missing) was like watching a grown man slap fight a retarded child. "Oh hey, everything in my deck is a good two life and two strength less than everything in his deck at every level."

I haven't tried playing actual people yet, but I can only assume that it'll be a lot of flailing wins/losses against similarly ridiculous underpowered decks, or the occasional mudhole stomping by some twelve year old who spent six hundred dollars to make a packmaster/echowisp power deck.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Berk Berkly posted:

So is this game hosed?

I don't think so yet. It maybe is if the game is this unstable in a couple days though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
After not being able to do anything last night I just tried playing a little bit ago and the stability was "better". It's still really clunky and slow though. It looks like you can earn 2 free boosters just by signing in each day and playing 3 online matches, that's kind of generous. I probably won't put more than the $20 dollars I put into the game though. Hearthstone and Hex need to hurry the gently caress up :smith:.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

After not being able to do anything last night I just tried playing a little bit ago and the stability was "better". It's still really clunky and slow though. It looks like you can earn 2 free boosters just by signing in each day and playing 3 online matches, that's kind of generous. I probably won't put more than the $20 dollars I put into the game though. Hearthstone and Hex need to hurry the gently caress up :smith:.

The problem is the free boosters are really bad on average. They only guarantee the 3rd of 5 rarities. If you could actually trade/buy/sell cards those would be worth a couple cents max.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Is there a card list somewhere that I can look at? I was not aware that there are FIVE rarities.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
Wait whats the fifth rarity? I thought there was only common, rare, heroic, and legendary.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
It's bullshit that you can't even get the higher rarity booster packs with the in-game currency, and it takes forever to grind out even that lovely cheapest booster (turns out you don't even earn silver with battles against the AI?). The user interface is ugly and laggy and bugged and bad. Too bad, all in all. Between this pile and Scrolls that feels too slow to me, gameplay wise, I hope Hex will meet it's mark. I'm just glad that I didn't buy into the early access, what a waste of 20 bucks that would've been.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 14, 2013

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Oenis posted:

It's bullshit that you can't even get the higher rarity booster packs with the in-game currency, and it takes forever to grind out even that lovely cheapest booster (turns out you don't even earn silver with battles against the AI?). The user interface is ugly and laggy and bugged and bad. Too bad, all in all. Between this pile and Scrolls that feels too slow to me, gameplay wise, I hope Hex will meet it's mark. I'm just glad that I didn't buy into the early access, what a waste of 20 bucks that would've been.

From what I can tell winning vs humans (when the game doesn't randomly assign you a loss after the fact) doesn't give you silver either.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Karnegal posted:

From what I can tell winning vs humans (when the game doesn't randomly assign you a loss after the fact) doesn't give you silver either.

Right now you only get silver for logging in, winning one game, and playing three games, on a daily basis.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

Haha, wow. This game is borderline unplayable right now and I have no idea what they were thinking with these rarities. Like, I get that many online games have issues when they launch, but this is pretty bad.

The best thing I can say about it right now is that not every deck is Packmasters, because it takes you like $500 in boosters to get a playset.

Edit: I'm just bitter because I logged in today and didn't get any bonus bux :(

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Upon reflection, I feel like this game wouldn't be bad if they had launched with:

1.) Remotely functioning servers
2.) ANY way to trade/buy/sell individual cards with other humans
3.) Some form of the PvE campaign (doesn't need to be complete), but there is no way to trade time played for in game currency right now, so you can't even get the lovely packs except on your 1 per days.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010

Karnegal posted:

Upon reflection, I feel like this game wouldn't be bad if they had launched with:

3.) Some form of the PvE campaign (doesn't need to be complete), but there is no way to trade time played for in game currency right now, so you can't even get the lovely packs except on your 1 per days.

They really do need to implement these ASAP too. The game's mechanics/flavor are both pretty great, it just needs better execution/functionality.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Karnegal posted:

I think it would have been nice to actually get the cards in the starter decks, because without the 20 free packs the timetable on being able to build a deck (competence of said deck notwithstanding) is completely up in the air.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
From what I'm reading on the forums your free decks are there, you just can't actually manipulate them or use the cards to build other decks at the moment because you can't "see" them, but if you pick a random deck you can still get decks you can't "see." I have not verified the accuracy of this it's just what I read someone say on their official forums that are of the dook.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Here is Stovetop posted:

From what I'm reading on the forums your free decks are there, you just can't actually manipulate them or use the cards to build other decks at the moment because you can't "see" them, but if you pick a random deck you can still get decks you can't "see." I have not verified the accuracy of this it's just what I read someone say on their official forums that are of the dook.
I have the cards from my starters

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
I'm working with support to get mine back. Just use the form on their site and let them know, it seems to be decently widespread.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

DonnyTrump posted:

Wait whats the fifth rarity? I thought there was only common, rare, heroic, and legendary.

You're correct. It's the same as magic, basically, just different names for common, uncommon, rare, and mythic.

quote:

I think it would have been nice to actually get the cards in the starter decks, because without the 20 free packs the timetable on being able to build a deck (competence of said deck notwithstanding) is completely up in the air.

You should have the cards from your 2 free starters, in addition to any starters you paid money for during the beta.

I totally agree that trading and server stability are like, dire needs right now. I think it's silly to get angry about day 1 fuckups but they only have so long before they start seriously hemorrhaging players who will never come back.

J
Jun 10, 2001

As someone who's been loosely following solforge but didn't back it or anything, I was really looking forward to trying this. But I think I'm going to hold off and let some of these issues get cleaned up first and hopefully they change some of these things people have mentioned. Like only being able to earn a fixed amount of silver per day that can only be used to buy a lovely booster to begin with. If they are honestly expecting people to spend MTG-like amounts of money on this to make a decent deck then I don't think I'm going to be interested in that.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

J posted:

As someone who's been loosely following solforge but didn't back it or anything, I was really looking forward to trying this. But I think I'm going to hold off and let some of these issues get cleaned up first and hopefully they change some of these things people have mentioned. Like only being able to earn a fixed amount of silver per day that can only be used to buy a lovely booster to begin with. If they are honestly expecting people to spend MTG-like amounts of money on this to make a decent deck then I don't think I'm going to be interested in that.

For me, there just isn't enough depth to spend that kind of money. It's a lane game for crying out loud. There is virtually no depth, but a bunch of synergy. The game play just doesn't have it for me, kinda sad I backed it at this point really. 180 cards is still a shallow pool when most of them are unusable garbage and the cost of the good stuff is so high. The format is going to be broken very quickly.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Whelp, since I paid like $120 or whatever, I will play it ... but wow so far. My iOS name is RevEnFuego so lets play!

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
So did this game fall into the Duel of Champions hole where the game is super pay to win to the point of obscenity? That's why I stopped playing that game, you had to spend literally MTG amounts of money to get a deck that will win against anything but other new players.

The beta was interesting the the level up mechanic was utilizing a computer to do something that would be a pain in a physical card game, which I like computer based card games to do, but man were the cards unbalance as hell. And now it looks like all those overpowered as hell cards like Echowisps are just super rares that people who spent $500.00 on the game will stomp you with, correct?

Maybe Hex will be good. I never tried this "scrolls" game mentioned earlier.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Right now the only thing I can play is the Nekrium/Alloyin starter against random AI decks, and... Man, while things felt somewhat balanced before, it feels like a lot of that has just been thrown out the window. I get that some of it is stuff intended for Limited (so much chaff...), but that doesn't exist yet. It feels almost like they made the same assumption that Magic made at first, that people wouldn't ever bother to assemble playsets of cards, and that it'd be casual forever. I feel like the weird pack sizes contributes to this... When you jump from normal straight to rare, and then have two rarities above that, your commons will be pretty awful.

Recent nerds have made it feel like commons don't even get to be good role players, either. In particular, why the hell did the... Flash heap thing, that leaves the smaller stages of itself behind... Why did it get buffed? It was fine as a 4/4, a 5/5 is just stupid.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Here is Stovetop posted:

For me, there just isn't enough depth to spend that kind of money. It's a lane game for crying out loud. There is virtually no depth, but a bunch of synergy. The game play just doesn't have it for me, kinda sad I backed it at this point really. 180 cards is still a shallow pool when most of them are unusable garbage and the cost of the good stuff is so high. The format is going to be broken very quickly.

I think this is one of the smarter things that's been said. This game doesn't have enough interactions to be very deep- it's just a lot synergies. It's checkers when we want chess. Ultimately, I think that's the most damning thing and the reason they introduced rarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
To clarify something, we get a bonus booster pack and some silver just for logging in each day, and then another one for either playing 3 games, or winning 1, whichever comes first? Is that right?

And are you guys getting bonus packs for playing against the computer, or does it have to be against other players? I'd rather not have to stick with the unusably slow connections to get bonuses if I don't have to.

• Locked thread