Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Centripetal Horse posted:

There's a saying that no matter how bad things are, you can always make them worse by adding a headache. Obviously, that's a flawed statement, but I think we all understand the point. I'd say ANYTHING + BRONIES is worse than ANYTHING, alone.

I'm not sure why I find bronies so infuriating. I don't generally get worked up about what other people are into, but I find the entire brony culture insufferable. Seeing all those stupid loving ponies zipping around the map, trailing stupid rainbow bullshit behind them, made me want to hand out throat-punches. It's me, I'm wrong, I know that, but I don't care, anymore. I think we should start rounding up these brony idiots after the age of twelve or so, and burn their brony accessory bullshit in big piles in public squares. If that doesn't work, it's time for brony internment camps.

We could take inspiration from your username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Centripetal Horse posted:

There's a saying that no matter how bad things are, you can always make them worse by adding a headache. Obviously, that's a flawed statement, but I think we all understand the point. I'd say ANYTHING + BRONIES is worse than ANYTHING, alone.

I'm not sure why I find bronies so infuriating. I don't generally get worked up about what other people are into, but I find the entire brony culture insufferable. Seeing all those stupid loving ponies zipping around the map, trailing stupid rainbow bullshit behind them, made me want to hand out throat-punches. It's me, I'm wrong, I know that, but I don't care, anymore. I think we should start rounding up these brony idiots after the age of twelve or so, and burn their brony accessory bullshit in big piles in public squares. If that doesn't work, it's time for brony internment camps.

The reason they're so insufferable is that they have to shove it into everything. Everything NEEDS PONIES, Fallout, Skyrim, TF2, pillows, conversations, Starcraft, Minecraft, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Really, if they just watched the show and kept it to themselves there'd be no problem. Not every conversation needs to be all about whatever the cartoon animals did.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Edit: You know what, I don't care enough about this to further this derail.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Jul 22, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagined posted:

I think it's because, unlike homosexuality, no one is born Otherkin

How dare you?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
People sure get mad about people liking a cartoon that just promotes friendship.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Imagined posted:

As a parent, it's also kind of frightening, because I suspect that a lot of these people would've eventually turned into functioning, normal members of society, but they accidentally stumbled into this internet cesspit that encouraged and reinforced and fed their socially awkward dumbassery until they've made it a core of their identity.

Does posting about internet cesspits in an internet cesspit qualify as mild schadenfreude?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

karn1635 posted:

Does posting about internet cesspits in an internet cesspit qualify as mild schadenfreude?

We're more of an internet sewer.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

People sure get mad about people liking a cartoon that just promotes friendship.

It's not a particularly nuanced message. And the adult males who hold it up as a classic of Western culture are to a man sad and broken human beings.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Crummelhorn posted:

It's not a particularly nuanced message. And the adult males who hold it up as a classic of Western culture are to a man sad and broken human beings.

That's true but what about adult males who go ballistic whenever anything pony-related is mentioned?

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Mister Adequate posted:

That's true but what about adult males who go ballistic whenever anything pony-related is mentioned?

Well-adjusted members of society?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

How about we all stop talking about ponies

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
E: nm, sorry Stalin

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IDF accidentally tear gas themselves :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp082w60DGg

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

karn1635 posted:

Diggin' the new thread title.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hello.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I used to work next door to a hotel that was a long residency kind of thing, and every day it rained we always looked out the window because there was a car there that ALWAYS had the windows down. They'd drive up and the windows would be up, but when they'd close it they'd lower em, and it must have rained in that car 3 times a week easy.

One time it was a huge mess, big thunderstorm came through, and when the lady opened it water just poured out of the car.

It was kinda distressing at first, cause we were thinking "Oh poo poo that car's gonna be hosed!" but after she left the windows down for the 5th time we just figured she was kinda dumb. Still, watching gallons of water pour out of a luxury car is always a fun sight to see :)

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8pbZFr6PWk

Cops in NY respond to a loud schadenfreude complaint.

The schadenfreude is for the guy and the neighbors who somehow are stupid enough to have never heard a bird before.

Dalai Lamacide has a new favorite as of 02:54 on Jul 23, 2014

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

ekuNNN posted:

IDF accidentally tear gas themselves :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp082w60DGg

Should be a law against jews gassing jews.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Dalai Lamacide posted:

The schadenfreude is for the guy and the neighbors who somehow are stupid enough to have never heard a bird before.

The huge bird population in my current apartment complex drives me batshit. There is a tree just outside my bedroom window, and those little cunts start happily chirping around 5AM. I Don't need to get up for work till 8.

I would actually be that guy, except they'd tase / teargas me when I opened the door with a .45 in my off hand for anyone knocking aggressively on my door at 6AM. They'd probably shoot my dog, too.

The Schadenfraude is on american police / americans. So much misery to be enjoyed :(

Dalai Lamacide
Jan 10, 2007

She wears underwear with dick-holes in 'em
Except this is at 2:30 AM.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Dalai Lamacide posted:

Holy poo poo the guy filming this is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dalai Lamacide posted:

The words "bird in a tree" are now completely meaningless to me.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Dalai Lamacide posted:

loud schadenfreude complaint.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Holy poo poo the guy filming this is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Kinda hope his house catches on fire and the fire department obeys that no trespassing sign.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiny posted:

The huge bird population in my current apartment complex drives me batshit. There is a tree just outside my bedroom window, and those little cunts start happily chirping around 5AM. I Don't need to get up for work till 8.

I would actually be that guy, except they'd tase / teargas me when I opened the door with a .45 in my off hand for anyone knocking aggressively on my door at 6AM. They'd probably shoot my dog, too.

The Schadenfraude is on american police / americans. So much misery to be enjoyed :(

This reminds me of a story my mother told me once about one of my uncles. When she was a little girl in the middle of Louisiana, they had to sleep with the windows open, and cicadas would sometimes perch in the tree right outside her brothers' window and just make their horrible noise for hours. Well, one night there was a particular large and loud one that kept my elder uncle awake until finally he'd had enough. The rest of the family woke to the sound of his revolver going off and ran outside to see that he had climbed the tree, found the offending cicada, and put the barrel so close to him that he could have stuffed him in it before pulling the trigger and vaporizing the critter.

Everyone went back to bed, neighbors didn't even turn on their porch light; that's just country living back in the day.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Tony Phillips posted:

Kinda hope his house catches on fire and the fire department obeys that no trespassing sign.

I know it's not the same, but here are people whose houses caught on fire and the fire department chose to ignore it:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Lotish posted:

This reminds me of a story my mother told me once about one of my uncles (Aunts? She?). When she was a little girl in the middle of Louisiana, they had to sleep with the windows open, and cicadas would sometimes perch in the tree right outside her brothers' window and just make their horrible noise for hours. Well, one night there was a particular large and loud one that kept my elder uncle awake until finally he'd had enough. The rest of the family woke to the sound of his revolver going off and ran outside to see that he had climbed the tree, found the offending cicada, and put the barrel so close to him that he could have stuffed him in it before pulling the trigger and vaporizing the critter.

Everyone went back to bed, neighbors didn't even turn on their porch light; that's just country living back in the day.

I sympathize with your uncle(Aunt), but not on the subject of Cicadas. Cicadas make a nice white uniform noise, they're easy to sleep through. Growing up in Wedafakarwi? county, we had a shitload of cicadas and crickets every night. I can sleep through that easily.

Birds, though? Apparently birds know to shut the gently caress up till daylight in the wild. My apartment complex has deliberatly grown trees habitual to native birds, and excluded everything else in terms of plant-life or habitat or predators. There are zero bird-predators other than the occasional lucky housecat. The various species of bird have free reighn over the 8 acres of corp appartment complex.

And they Will Not Shut The gently caress Up while I'm trying to sleep. They start the bullshit random chirping around 4AM. Every Single loving Day. I really, REALLY want to introduce a natural bird-predator into the system. How expensive / effective are Wolf Spiders to import? I'm not a cat person :P

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lotish posted:

Having lived in Humboldt Park for several years I can tell you thats basically modern low income living as well. I wouldn't even bother getting up unless there was more than 2 shots.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

I know it's not the same, but here are people whose houses caught on fire and the fire department chose to ignore it:

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2011/12/07/9272989-firefighters-let-home-burn-over-75-fee-again

That's less schadenfreude on the lovely homeowners, and more the horrifying effects of a libertarian government.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Tiny posted:

Birds, though? Apparently birds know to shut the gently caress up till daylight in the wild. My apartment complex has deliberatly grown trees habitual to native birds, and excluded everything else in terms of plant-life or habitat or predators. There are zero bird-predators other than the occasional lucky housecat. The various species of bird have free reighn over the 8 acres of corp appartment complex.

And they Will Not Shut The gently caress Up while I'm trying to sleep. They start the bullshit random chirping around 4AM. Every Single loving Day. I really, REALLY want to introduce a natural bird-predator into the system. How expensive / effective are Wolf Spiders to import? I'm not a cat person :P
Regular birds chirping doesn't bother me, I can sleep right through that. It's seagulls. loving motherfucking flying rats. They nest every summer on top of a neighboring roof and never shut up. They sometimes go away for a while during the day but sure as loving sunrise they come back to cry from 2am to 5am non-stop.

I love animals but there have been many nights I've wished I owned a projectile weapon of some kind so I could pink mist the little shits.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Wanamingo posted:

That's less schadenfreude on the lovely homeowners, and more the horrifying effects of a libertarian government.

Yeah, it seems like the easy solution would be to tax homeowners $75/year, rather than making it voluntary. "But what about the people who don't feel like paying it and DON'T have their houses burn down! How will they get that $75 back!"

Jesus, a basic Netflix sub costs more than that.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Stare-Out posted:

Regular birds chirping doesn't bother me, I can sleep right through that.

Now imagine an example of all 50+ native species making booty-calls at 4AM, and then I can agree with:

quote:

I love animals but there have been many nights I've wished I owned a projectile weapon of some kind so I could pink mist the little shits.

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

GrandpaPants posted:

My mom's the fire chief for our volunteer fire department. Last year one of our residents threatened to file a restraining order against the entire department because she told him that if he kept shooting fireworks off the roof of his house across a public street (super super illegal, but the guy is rich and our county cops are lazy as gently caress) she'd turn a fire hose on his entire party. She just told him to do it because then they wouldn't have to put his house out when he eventually does catch it on fire.

He ended up celebrating the 4th somewhere else this year which is a shame because for once we actually did have a police presence during the 4th and they were actually planning on ticketing him if he did it again this year.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it seems like the easy solution would be to tax homeowners $75/year, rather than making it voluntary. "But what about the people who don't feel like paying it and DON'T have their houses burn down! How will they get that $75 back!"

That's really the issue with those. The county government refuses to levy a tax to provide fire protection for the rural residents. The city fire department is covered by the city's taxes, but they're not going to cover the rest of the county for free.

As a compromise, they offer coverage to the county residents for a $75 annual fee - essentially a voluntary tax. Those who refuse to pay it don't get fire protection, period.

So the real problem is the county government refusing to set up any sort of fire protection system for its residents. That's who people should be getting mad at.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

The fact that she's covered in it and still smiling makes me happy. I'm happy at her happiness. This is failed schadenfreude.

eta: So many people getting woken up by birds- am I the only person in this thread who wears earplugs?

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Jul 23, 2014

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
gently caress

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Jul 23, 2014

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Baron von Eevl posted:

The schadenfreude is on the entire population of the town and county for being libertardians. And indirectly on the US for encouraging that sort of behaviour. And now the schadenfreude is on me for being from a country whose government is now trying its hardest to emulate all that :australia:

trickybiscuits posted:

The fact that she's covered in it and still smiling makes me happy. I'm happy at her happiness. This is failed schadenfreude.

Post that picture in the IT workers' threads in SHSC and I bet you get a large dose of schadenfreude watching their reactions!

edit: schadenfreude

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

trickybiscuits posted:

eta: So many people getting woken up by birds- am I the only person in this thread who wears earplugs?
Once you've heard two dozen seagulls going mental 25 feet away, you'll know that you may as well be deaf and you'll still hear them.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiny posted:

I really, REALLY want to introduce a natural bird-predator into the system. How expensive / effective are Wolf Spiders to import? I'm not a cat person :P
You wouldn't even joke about this if you read that one "spiders in my apartment" GBS thread from a year or two ago... :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

trickybiscuits posted:

Apparently so. I'm OK with the natural sounds of natural critters for my environment. I can sleep through cicadas and crickets and a few birds without a problem.

The problem is that I live in a corporate complex that has eliminated all natural predators of all bird species, and provided habitats for EVERY bird native to my state. Awesome if you're a bird-watcher or retiree. Shotgun-purchase inducing if you just want to loving sleep past 4AM. I can tune several repetitive noises out and sleep through them, but because there are 20 different species competing every morning. They aren't predictable or repetitive, they're small dinosaurs trying to attract mates with creativity. They wake me and several other normal-working-schedule residents up. They're not regular enough to ignore.

Tiny has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jul 23, 2014

• Locked thread