Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Got around to watching a few early Jackie Chan flicks this week. THE YOUNG MASTER (out of a 5-DVD box set I grabbed solely for FANTASY MISSION FORCE) is pretty worthless, and practically Jackie-free. FEARLESS HYENA on the other had was a blast. Once you got past Jackie's dubbed-accent, which made him sound like a member of Herman's Hermits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Got around to watching a few early Jackie Chan flicks this week. THE YOUNG MASTER (out of a 5-DVD box set I grabbed solely for FANTASY MISSION FORCE) is pretty worthless, and practically Jackie-free. FEARLESS HYENA on the other had was a blast. Once you got past Jackie's dubbed-accent, which made him sound like a member of Herman's Hermits.

Young Master is ok. Are you sure you didn't see Young Tiger by mistake?

Young Master ends with this hilarious image:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Boinks posted:

Yep, you're right. YOUNG TIGER it was. Not-Actually-Starring Jacky (sic) Chan and co-starring his giant stick-on hairy mole.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Boinks posted:

Young Master is a bit better than just okay.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
No one has mentioned A Touch of Zen (侠女) (1971) yet?

Like Come Drink with Me (大醉侠) and Longmen Inn (龙门客站) , AToZ is directed by King Hu (湖金铨). It's also by far the longest-- almost 4 hours in total, I think. Xu Feng (徐枫) is pretty cool.

The film itself is really pretty. You could probably lose the subtitles and still watch.

IF you've seen Longmen Inn, you might recognize the scholar-trope, second from the left. This movie sort of serves as his backstory.

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 31, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Five Elements Ninjas was crazy. :stare:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The loving scene where the dude gets stabbed in the taint so many times his intestine falls out :stare:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That movie is A+ kung fu violent madness. Was it the subbed or dubbed version?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Almond Crunch posted:

No one has mentioned A Touch of Zen (侠女) (1971) yet?

Like Come Drink with Me (大醉侠) and Longmen Inn (龙门客站) , AToZ is directed by King Hu (湖金铨). It's also by far the longest-- almost 4 hours in total, I think. Xu Feng (徐枫) is pretty cool.

The film itself is really pretty. You could probably lose the subtitles and still watch.

IF you've seen Longmen Inn, you might recognize the scholar-trope, second from the left. This movie sort of serves as his backstory.

King Hu owns.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Don't forget Green Dragon Inn if you're talking about King Hu.

I like Hark's New Dragon Inn better, but that's probably because of my Brigette Lin obsession.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

That movie is A+ kung fu violent madness. Was it the subbed or dubbed version?

Dubbed, I couldn't find the subbed one.

Crippled Avengers is still my favorite out of all the ones i've seen. Granted i've still YET to watch Lady Snowblodo or Chambers of Shaolin.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Don't forget Green Dragon Inn if you're talking about King Hu.

I like Hark's New Dragon Inn better, but that's probably because of my Brigette Lin obsession.

What is Green Dragon Inn?

I am a well-respected King Hu expert and have even gotten a copy of The Fate of Lee Khan (迎春阁之风波) with a mandarin softsub file(!!!). I don't think Green Dragon Inn is a King Hu film.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The original title is Qing long ke zhan. Hu isn't credited for it, but it seems to be a common belief that he secretly directed the film.

e: Dragon Gate Inn may have been the one the poster was thinking of, though.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The original title is Qing long ke zhan. Hu isn't credited for it, but it seems to be a common belief that he secretly directed the film.

Dragon Gate Inn it is! I don't know how I got the name screwed up.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Dragon Gate Inn it is! I don't know how I got the name screwed up.

Dragon Gate = Longmen (龙门)

LORD OF BUTT posted:

As a King Hu expert, this is really news to me. I googled and baidued and found nothing. Can you share a source?

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 3, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Abu Dave posted:

Dubbed, I couldn't find the subbed one.

Crippled Avengers is still my favorite out of all the ones i've seen. Granted i've still YET to watch Lady Snowblodo or Chambers of Shaolin.

You can just stop watching movies altogether, to be honest. It'll only be downhill from here.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Almond Crunch posted:

Dragon Gate = Longmen (龙门)

As a King Hu expert, this is really news to me. I googled and baidued and found nothing. Can you share a source?

It's just mentioned in a couple IMDB reviews, I don't know if there's actually anything to it. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boinks posted:

fun fact: this is a real image of Jackie Chan after breaking all hi bones while filming and he got back into it after a short lunch break

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Alan Smithee posted:

fun fact: this is a real image of Jackie Chan after breaking all hi bones while filming and he got back into it after a short lunch break

Maybe if it was a still from Project A I'd believe you :)

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
This thread makes gives me crazy nostalgia. When I was a kid I saw Heroic Trio on TBS and went into my local comic shop asking about it. The guy working there told me they didn't have any of that stuff, but to come back next week. When I went back, he handed me a stack of VHS tapes-- a bunch of movies he had copied over from Tai Seng laserdiscs. I got Wing Chun, Heroic Trio and Executioners, the Bride with White Hair (which was a little over my head at that time), Wheels on Meals, Dragons Forever, etc.

It actually kind of ruined this stuff for me because a lot of the DVD releases we got of these later were such poo poo. I think Tai Seng is gone now which is depressing.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

When I thought I couldn't find anything as mind breaking as Descendant of the Sun, I ended up getting my hands on a copy of the "Holy Flame of the Martial World." These early 80s shaw brothers super powered kung fu movies are just insane. I can't tell if I'm supposed to watch these types of movies sober to avoid permanent brain damage or if I'm supposed to watch these completely blitzed out on drugs so that they make sense:

https://youtu.be/aWltGHdAysY

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
"Bone Incineration by Fire" is one of my favorite attack names in any HK flick. Although it's sort of misnamed since it reduces you to a skeleton.

vvv

Boinks posted:

the beams that shoot the skeletons out of people's bodies.

Hell yeah.

moller fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 8, 2015

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

G-III posted:

When I thought I couldn't find anything as mind breaking as Descendant of the Sun, I ended up getting my hands on a copy of the "Holy Flame of the Martial World." These early 80s shaw brothers super powered kung fu movies are just insane. I can't tell if I'm supposed to watch these types of movies sober to avoid permanent brain damage or if I'm supposed to watch these completely blitzed out on drugs so that they make sense:

I just watched my DVD of that the other day. Loved the echoes and the beams that shoot the skeletons out of people's bodies.

Also watched Brothers Five last night. What great fight scenes! They reminded me of Dynasty Warriors.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
El Rey is running a Chang cheh marathon on Fathers Day. Granted it's all dubbed but hey :shrug:

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

G-III posted:

Duel to the Death is like this too. The drinking game is every time there is a scene in which ninjas explode, take a shot. You can't do it off each ninja or you'll die in the intro. The scene where the 20 foot ninja shows up, then explodes into smaller ninjas counts too.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Just watched Wheels on Meals last night. Can someone explain, in the scene where the Client first offers Moby the job to find Gloria, he also gives him a sheet of paper with something tiny and (at least on the version I was watching) unreadable written on it. Moby then throws water on the paper, and says something that was translated in the subs to "more antiseptic this way" (or similar). What was written on the paper? Why does he throw water on it?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Let's talk about Lín Qīngxiá aka Brigitte Lin. One of my all time favorite actresses. Born in Taiwan she did a few dramatic roles before being picked up to act in the infamous Fantasy Mission Force. After that she was in the original Zu and then as the damsel in distress in the very first Police Story movie (the second time she worked with Chan).

Damsel in distress is not what she did best though. She became the badass of badasses in Swordsman II (as Asia the Invincible) and New Dragon Gate Inn. These two films gave her a rep for 'Pants' roles or a woman playing a masculine character. She reprised the role of Asia the gender-bending anti-hero in Swordsman III (also known as East is Red) then another pants role in Deadful Melody and then her finest role as The Bride with White Hair.

She basically retired in 2001 after a string of classic films including Wong Kar-Wei's Chungking Express and Ashes of Time (along with the parody of the latter; Eagle Shooting Heroes). Always cool and classy Brigitte Lin is an amazing screen presence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PziO8VcIkt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_va9XLuUrgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysk1O5BPMEk

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

G-III posted:

Love the music - same song used in Kung Fu Hustle in the big fight with the Landlady and Landlord versus The Beast.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Boinks posted:

the beams that shoot the skeletons out of people's bodies.
I need this in my life. Which film was this? Holy Flame of the Martial World?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Watched Kung Fu Jungle and thought it was OK. I don't think I've seen a good Donnie Yen film yet, either that or I just don't like his face/style...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Chas McGill posted:

Watched Kung Fu Jungle and thought it was OK. I don't think I've seen a good Donnie Yen film yet, either that or I just don't like his face/style...

Watch Iron Monkey or Once Upon a Time in China II

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OxMan posted:

Duel to the Death is like this too. The drinking game is every time there is a scene in which ninjas explode, take a shot. You can't do it off each ninja or you'll die in the intro. The scene where the 20 foot ninja shows up, then explodes into smaller ninjas counts too.

Don't forget the lady ninja who spontaneously tears off her clothes so as to subdue a Buddhist monk.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is Ip Man not well regarded around here? I like it but I don't have the hatred for Donnie Yen that seems to be pretty common. I did think someone's post a few weeks ago about him always having to put his rear end in every movie he directs/stars in was pretty on point though.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Samovar posted:

Don't forget the lady ninja who spontaneously tears off her clothes so as to subdue a Buddhist monk.

Isn't this a thing in other movies, too? I could have sworn there was another martial arts film I once saw where this happened. I mean, like, a hot lady fighter stripping explicitly to distract/subdue/seduce a celibate monk, not the simple act of nudity in a film. I haven't, to my knowledge, seen Duel to the Death, so yeah.

But a 20 foot ninja who explodes into smaller ninja sounds very much like something I need to see, so I'm tracking down a copy as we speak!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't this a thing in other movies, too? I could have sworn there was another martial arts film I once saw where this happened. I mean, like, a hot lady fighter stripping explicitly to distract/subdue/seduce a celibate monk, not the simple act of nudity in a film. I haven't, to my knowledge, seen Duel to the Death, so yeah.

But a 20 foot ninja who explodes into smaller ninja sounds very much like something I need to see, so I'm tracking down a copy as we speak!

It happens in practically every single martial arts movie I've seen with a female ninja in it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68wa2DLVmow&t=2726s

it is a good movie

(boobs at 46:45)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 8, 2015

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Is Ip Man not well regarded around here? I like it but I don't have the hatred for Donnie Yen that seems to be pretty common. I did think someone's post a few weeks ago about him always having to put his rear end in every movie he directs/stars in was pretty on point though.

That hatred thing is new to me. I like the guy and everything he has been in that I've seen. Ip Man is a pretty fantastic film. The second one is great too, if only for some of the fights.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I hadn't heard that before.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ip Man is fine, but I didn't love it. I didn't think there was a whole lot of story or imagination to the fights, and it's so self-serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I need this in my life. Which film was this? Holy Flame of the Martial World?

Sure is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-9n2xcUiY