Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
"Bruce Thai" sounds like a restaurant I'd be happy to eat at.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

House of Traps has kind of a so so story but man, the fighting in it is so good. There's also a really weird plot bit where the "Rats" are talking about showing up and it doesn't show their faces, implying that it's supposed to be some kind of mystery about who they are but the second they show up you got guys going "Hey, those are probably the Rats."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been watching a bunch of stuff on Hulu and it's a goddamn mess as to what is dubbed and what is subtitled. There doesn't seem to be any indication.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this? posted:

Is there some kind of rule that says kung fu movies have to end super abruptly? I was watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and had to rewind it because I thought the stream had hosed up.

I don't want it to happen in all films but when it does happen in a kung fu film it's great. There are real "actual" logistical reasons for doing it but to me it's the film going "there, the bad guy's beaten! What more do you want? Peace out."

It's a great contrast with films that need to let you know what happened with every character for the rest of their lives. Return of the King is a great unintentional parody of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Woppa. I watched all 3 Donnie Yen Ip Man movies last week, and I have pretty mixed feelings on all of them. Between the weird Chinese nationalism, Donnie being completely out-acted by everyone around him, the overuse of quick cuts during fights, and the schizophrenic scripts, they're quite a mixed bag.

But who cares about that poo poo, because I also watched Ip Man: The Final Fight, a totally unrelated film about Ip Man's life, which happens to be an amazing period piece about old Hong Kong with rich characters, great acting and dialogue, mind-blowing sets, and still pretty darn awesome kung fu fights. If you saw that movie up on Netflix and were like "Oh, it looks like a cash-in on those Donnie Yen films" and gave it a pass, I strongly recommend watching it. It's a genuinely wonderful film. It's apparently a sequel to "Ip Man: The Legend is Born" but I haven't seen that one. You certainly can go into it without having seen any previous film.

Seriously, watch this darn movie!

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I see that and raise you this:

I'm still trying to find a copy of this somewhere

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel stupid for not being able to find this with search, but a while ago someone in one of the MMA or maybe pro wrestling threads posted a clip of this old guy's video series of how awesome his martial arts skills are and it was all just him like waving his hand at someone three feet away and them falling over like you were supposed to believe you'd be shooting blasts of energy out of your hands if you were as good as this guy. It was absurdly fake looking with folks falling over or otherwise getting blown away conveniently. But then someone posted a clip of him fighting an actual martial artist who of course handily defeated him. Anyways the old guy seemed genuinely shocked his stuff wasn't working during this, does anyone have links to these or know what I'm talking about? Was this old guy a true believer? Are the 20~30 people he tosses around his videos all playing along with him knowing they're playing along? What was this?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'd wager that the majority of his students actually believe he has the ability, so when he does it to them they "feel" the chi waves and it knocks them back.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel stupid for not being able to find this with search, but a while ago someone in one of the MMA or maybe pro wrestling threads posted a clip of this old guy's video series of how awesome his martial arts skills are and it was all just him like waving his hand at someone three feet away and them falling over like you were supposed to believe you'd be shooting blasts of energy out of your hands if you were as good as this guy. It was absurdly fake looking with folks falling over or otherwise getting blown away conveniently. But then someone posted a clip of him fighting an actual martial artist who of course handily defeated him. Anyways the old guy seemed genuinely shocked his stuff wasn't working during this, does anyone have links to these or know what I'm talking about? Was this old guy a true believer? Are the 20~30 people he tosses around his videos all playing along with him knowing they're playing along? What was this?

There are a lot of the former videos, mostly showing Systema and Kiai "masters". The second video is something about Systema vs MMA or something and Halloween Jack posted it somewhere in CineD recently but it's a long running joke in PSP.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Neo Rasa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUxPLIJVgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jf3Gc2a0_8

Name is Yanagi Ryuken, apparently.

When a "speed hypnotist" (or faith healer) puts his hand on an audience member and yells "Sleep!" or whatever, the vast majority of people put their head down because of overwhelming social pressure. It's much easier to not interrupt the performance that you've likely paid to attend. Now apply that reasoning to this guy's hand picked disciples, some of whom have been training with him for years - if you figure out early on he doesn't have magical chi powers you either speak up and get asked not to return or you justify it to yourself in the short term and then end up in a massive sunk cost fallacy. Who wants to have spent years of their life and presumably lots of money studying under a charlatan?

moller fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 5, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

See also those guys who claim to have a technique to not feel pain from any attack because they unlocked the deep secrets of mysticism but act like loud jocks and only ever do demonstrations with their hand picked students. Something about martial arts brings out the con artists.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's some guy who tried to do that on TV, so they got people he didn't know to participate, and amazingly, he couldn't knock them out at all.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

See also those guys who claim to have a technique to not feel pain from any attack because they unlocked the deep secrets of mysticism but act like loud jocks and only ever do demonstrations with their hand picked students. Something about martial arts brings out the con artists.

That kind of reminds me of the scene in Legendary Weapons of China where some bandits are pretending to attack one of their own who is posing as a kung fu master and the movie demonstrates a bunch of ways how that stuff could be faked.

The movie as a whole is kind of weird though because it's about a master who disbands the school under his care because he knows martial arts are no match to guns but the overall head of his school is pissed off because of it so he sends a bunch of guys after him in revenge. So there's a whole undercurrent of "none of that stuff was real" but there's still scenes like Gordon Liu's not-San Te monk being almost invulnerable to normal weapons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's interesting to explore the myth surrounding martial arts in a movie that still has crazy kung fu fights. There's a pretty great scene in Ip Man: The Final Fight where Ip Man's students read about a street brawl that happened and the article describes it as some ridiculous Crouching Tiger fight when it was really just a bunch of people kicking and shoving each other.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

moller posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdUxPLIJVgI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jf3Gc2a0_8

Name is Yanagi Ryuken, apparently.

When a "speed hypnotist" (or faith healer) puts his hand on an audience member and yells "Sleep!" or whatever, the vast majority of people put their head down because of overwhelming social pressure. It's much easier to not interrupt the performance that you've likely paid to attend. Now apply that reasoning to this guy's hand picked disciples, some of whom have been training with him for years - if you figure out early on he doesn't have magical chi powers you either speak up and get asked not to return or you justify it to yourself in the short term and then end up in a massive sunk cost fallacy. Who wants to have spent years of their life and presumably lots of money studying under a charlatan?

:laffo: Slim Dragonfists? Wonder what his real name is. :laffo:

Thank you for the links and information. I still can't believe he got enough people to buy into it that he himself bought into it and got into that fight.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Slim Dragonfists sounds like something from the Wu-Tang name generator.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
Lau Kar-Leung is my favorite kung fu director. 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Drunken Master, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and especially Dirty Ho range from great to best-of-their-genre.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Heads up that Killzone 2 AKA SPL 2 is now on Canadian Netflix, which I have to assume means it's also on US Netflix (doesn't work the other way around though :( ).

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just watched A Touch of Zen. Amazing and heartwarming

But like all other wuxia films it ends without telling you what happens to the characters :anger:

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Just watched a breathlessly-paced and totally excessive Taiwanese picture called Red Pirate from 1997 (or at least released then).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W82eeZsAE2g

Notables:
+Stars Jonathan Ke Quan, of Goonies and Temple of Doom fame (who is a shockingly decent onscreen fighter and stunt performer).
+ 4 (maybe 5!) awesome female fighters.
+A big pirate party that includes a guy sticking a milk snake's head down his throat, then pulling it out and pouring beer on it.
+Bigger ending action scene body count than Commando.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Neurophage posted:

Lau Kar-Leung is my favorite kung fu director. 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Drunken Master, Eight Diagram Pole Fighter and especially Dirty Ho range from great to best-of-their-genre.

Also Heroes of the East.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Man Dancer posted:

Just watched a breathlessly-paced and totally excessive Taiwanese picture called Red Pirate from 1997 (or at least released then).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W82eeZsAE2g

Notables:
+Stars Jonathan Ke Quan, of Goonies and Temple of Doom fame (who is a shockingly decent onscreen fighter and stunt performer).
+ 4 (maybe 5!) awesome female fighters.
+A big pirate party that includes a guy sticking a milk snake's head down his throat, then pulling it out and pouring beer on it.
+Bigger ending action scene body count than Commando.

Where did you find it? (if it's not :filez: of course)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Man Dancer posted:

:
+Stars Jonathan Ke Quan, of Goonies and Temple of Doom fame (who is a shockingly decent onscreen fighter and stunt performer)
He'd better not be shockingly good, its his job:

wikipedia posted:

Having studied Taekwondo under Philip Tan on the set of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, he later trained under Tao-liang Tan.[4] He worked as a stunt choreographer for X-Men[5] and The One as the assistant of renowned Hong Kong fight choreographer Corey Yuen.[3]

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's 45 years old now and I just watched the Goonies. In fact, watching it with the video commentary is some motherfucking whiplash.

Ok, that's my Goonies derail. How about them kung fu classic martial arts cinema?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Speaking of, watched Eight Diagram Pole Fighter tonight. It was overall pretty decent and enjoyable, but the last fight really made the movie.

On the other hand, I noted that the movie felt pretty disjointed, almost like it had been heavily edited (I was watching the English dub sadly so that was my first suspicion), and plot threads completely abandoned as the movie went on.
So to no surprise it turns out that one of the lead actors died before they finished filming, and the movie had to be re-written half way through. :smith:

Still, the movie doesn't suffer too bad from that, and if nothing else you should check out the last fight of the movie just to see some serious teeth action.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lobok posted:

Heads up that Killzone 2 AKA SPL 2 is now on Canadian Netflix, which I have to assume means it's also on US Netflix (doesn't work the other way around though :( ).

I just caught it on US Netflix today and it's loving awesome, everyone should see it.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Where did you find it? (if it's not :filez: of course)

Aside from the Youtube link in my post? I heard about it from this podcast.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Man Dancer posted:

Aside from the Youtube link in my post? I heard about it from this podcast.

Thanks! I'm always looking for more sources on movies I haven't heard of.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Speaking of, watched Eight Diagram Pole Fighter tonight. It was overall pretty decent and enjoyable, but the last fight really made the movie.

On the other hand, I noted that the movie felt pretty disjointed, almost like it had been heavily edited (I was watching the English dub sadly so that was my first suspicion), and plot threads completely abandoned as the movie went on.
So to no surprise it turns out that one of the lead actors died before they finished filming, and the movie had to be re-written half way through. :smith:

Still, the movie doesn't suffer too bad from that, and if nothing else you should check out the last fight of the movie just to see some serious teeth action.

The Chinese literary tradition is also just a lot more tolerant of digressions and dropped plots. Most of the great classics of Chinese lit are fragmentary, unfinished, or compiled from multiple sources and it's just not considered a big gently caress up to have plot elements that go nowhere or stories unresolved.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I feel like this is probably a dumb question, but is there any record of mild stigma being attached to the actors who regularly played Manchurian officials? Just something I've been wondering after catching up on some of the '70s Shaolin movies recently and noticing some recurring actors in those roles.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

"Stunt Team’s Tribute Video for Jackie Chan Will Move You to Tears"
http://nextshark.com/stunt-teams-tribute-video-jackie-chan-will-move-tears/

Unrelated, going to see Journey to the West Part 2 tomorrow. Check your local listings!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5273624/?pf_rd_m=A2FGELUUNOQJNL

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I feel like this is probably a dumb question, but is there any record of mild stigma being attached to the actors who regularly played Manchurian officials? Just something I've been wondering after catching up on some of the '70s Shaolin movies recently and noticing some recurring actors in those roles.

I'm sure this happened. Charles Napier just played Murdock in RAMBO: First Blood Part II and I saw in an interview he said for like fifteen years after people would regularly recognize him and be offended by his existence and ask him with a look of betrayal in the faces "WHY WERE YOU MEAN TO RAMBO?!?!?!" He has condescending "this is how movie is made" speech he had to have prepared to give at a moment's notice.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just got out of a double feature of One Armed Swordsman and Return of the One Armed Swordsman. Apparently there aren't any known 35mm prints of Return around anymore so Tarantino and the New Beverly had a new print struck from the original negative. They clocked it at 150 minutes so it's the longest known version too. That movie was gory as all hell. If you're near the Los Angeles area, they're going to be screening it every Tuesday this month at the New Beverly Cinema. Check it out if you get the chance.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
Does anyone know what film this amazing gif is from?

https://gfycat.com/EagerMadeupHarpseal

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lamont posted:

I have no idea but that's the guy from Yakuza 0. His fists are a powerful in that game as in that clip. (His bro's are much more powerful, however)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lamont posted:

That looks like it might be from a commercial.

true.spoon
Jun 7, 2012
From what I could find someone on reddit claimed that it was from a Japanese show called "Elite Yankee Saburo" (エリートヤンキー三郎). There are subtitled episodes of this show on youtube, the style looks somewhat similar but I'm not completely convinced.

EDIT: Might be from the 2009 movie actually.
EDIT2: Found it. Unfortunately only with Chinese subs.

true.spoon fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 5, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm in the mood to watch dudes beat the poo poo out of each other. Netflix seems to have a small handful of classic martial arts movies. Masked Avengers looks promising. Any other Netflix suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Their selection changes all the time so it's hard to give recommendations. They used to have Project A but apparently don't anymore which is goddamn criminal.

Into the Badlands is good; it's a post-apocalyptic Wuxia serial. A quick search turns up 36th Chamber of Shaolin if you haven't seen it. Also Ip Man, Fist of Legend, Hero and Legend of Drunken Master are all classics if you haven't seen any of them.

Edit: Searched for Shaw Bros; more stuff turned up. Crippled Avengers, 5 Deadly Venoms and 5 Element Ninjas?

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 5, 2017