Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw a clip of a seventies martial arts flick that had an awesome fight scene in and around a cable car in Hong Kong, with the actors hanging out of it and everything while brawling with each other, anyone remember? I know there's a help us remember thread, but I could have sworn I saw the clip via the previous martial arts thread on this board, supplied by a fellow goon.

A Man Called Tiger (1973)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jZ1c7hy3fE&t=308s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Man Dancer posted:

Wing Chun (1994)

Just saw this on Netflix streaming. What a wonderful surprise this movie was! (FYI: The poster image in Netflix is for the wrong film.)
Technically a little late for the period outlined in the OP, but of the same spirit.

Michelle Yeoh in her prime, just dominating the screen with astonishing poise and high-quality beatdowns.
Donnie Yen just starting out as a eager, young goofball.
Yuen Woo Ping directing in his 90's heydey (same year as Fist of Legend).
A really funny supporting role from Kingdom Yuen. A lot of the broad comedy in HK films tends to leave me pretty cold, but something about the performances, editing, and writing really sold the humor for me.

This movie is also gently sexy and queer as helllll. Not as totally transgressive as it could be, but pretty amazing for its time. The ending fight in has a great thematic action beat/gender double entendre that literally had me clapping.

I'm sure I'm overselling this (it is a pretty silly film), but I found it utterly charming.

P.S:. Someone wrote a scholarly monograph about the film: http://books.google.com/books?id=Ur61t2MgqAAC
My library has eBook access and I am reading it right now! It's pretty good!

Nah, you're not overselling anything. Wing Chun is seriously one of the best wuxia films ever made.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

moller posted:

You left out that until the point where "old man" and "kid" are CRUCIFIED and BRANDED WITH HOT IRONS until they die, the film is a breezy and zany Jackie Chan-style comedy about a lazy fishmonger, complete with pratfalls and slide whistles. Then the last 20 minutes are a bloodbath. The totally awesome techno-70s intro sequence alludes to this, at least - "Wow! He's crazy!"

This is one of those hilarious quirks of early-mid kung fu cinema. I just watched Prodigal Son (1981), a lighthearted Sammo Hung action-comedy which features a scene where a few dozen sleeping men and women have their throats slashed, which goes on for a solid 5-10 minutes complete with gore effects and torrents of blood. :stonk:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's always rapes played for chuckles too which I'll never get the stomach for.

They thankfully don't usually pull the trigger on that one, and leave it at "oh this guy wants to rape a lady, what a scamp!"

Sex with the wrong person because the room was dark and/or someone was wearing the wrong clothes, on the other hand...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Every Sammo Hung film I've seen—Pedicab Driver, Knockabout, and Prodigal Son for sure—starts out lighthearted and then right in the second act, out of nowhere, WHAM. The dark side hits like a punch to the face.

In all the movies I've seen, though, Sammo Hung ranks as one of my favorite stars. By several accounts, he worked haaaaaard to get to where he got.

Sammo Hung is just one of those absurdly talented people. Dude is a top tier comedy actor, action star, director, and choreographer. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me he did all the editing, scoring, and set design for his films too.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 1, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Could you guys recommend any films with female leads?

If I could recommend five movies they'd all be Wing Chun (1994), also recommended in that excellent post from Daryl Surat.

There's also Come Drink With Me (1966), which doesn't have the same kind of kinetic fight choreography you get with later films but is pretty required viewing if you want to see where kung fu movies got all their poo poo from.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 6, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The Heroic Trio is completely loving bonkers, but in a way that actually made me bored fairly quickly :(

I call it "the Swordsman II effect".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What would you guys recommend for a kung fu fan who loves kung fu flicks set in cop/triad/yakuza and ancient mainland China (i.e. Drunken Master I and II)? I've seen a bunch of Sammo, Donnie Yen, and every one of the Jackie movies considered classic. I love Tony Jaa, and the Raid was a total thrill. I also liked Master of the Flying Guillotine, Fist of Legend, all of Bruce's movies,and then Ip Man series. Any suggestions?

Kung Fu movies about cops and gangsters or taking place in ancient China? Might I suggest...all of them

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wandle Cax posted:

The Mission is fantastic, it's a shame it's impossible to find on DVD and the DVD that does exist is non-anamorphic. Exiled is also great and seems like the spiritual sequel to The Mission.

Also I haven't seen many Donnie Yen films pre-SPL but the one I have seen is Iron Monkey from 1993 and I thought that was wonderful. Flash Point is ok but it's really only the last 20 or so minutes with any action and up till then is fairly boring run-of-the-mill crime stuff. The end fight is really good though.

Donnie Yen has a fairly large role in Wing Chun, a rad movie you should watch. He also composed the music for the film!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Daryl Surat posted:

Oh, make no mistake: I do dig me some Iron Monkey and Wing Chun. But the key here is that Donnie Yen was not the star of those movies. He was just a guy present in them opposite the real star who he could have a swank fight with. I dug him in that capacity, like say in Butterfly and Sword (also opposite Michelle Yeoh, though that's Tony Ching-esque wirework-heavy action, which is polarizing for many) or as an opponent for Jet Li in Once Upon a Time in China II and Hero (on the subject of Tony Ching-style action). But the pre-2005 movies where he was THE main guy in it? Those were some mad letdowns. Just compare Iron Monkey 2 to Iron Monkey and you'll see what I mean.

At the time (drat, it's been over 15 years), I was really down on the movies he directed and also starred in...and also co-wrote...and also did the fight choreography. After stuff like Ballistic Kiss (trailer), Legend of the Wolf (trailer), and Shanghai Affairs (trailer, can I just note that the full movie always comes up before the trailer in search results and that in the case of this one, the bit with the suspenders bow is RAD?) I spent years thinking "man, gently caress this guy." He was the Steven Seagal of Asian action cinema. But as I check IMDB's user reviews, everyone seems to really like those movies now. Maybe the things I was hating on him for in the 1990s have since become the de facto way to film action scenes in the 2010s.

Donnie Yen is a second rate leading man and a third rate everything else, but he was at least keeping the torch alive in the wake of Jackie Chan and Jet Li's careers slowing down.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Anyone here ever see Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain? Is it any good?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Pretty much anything with Tsui Hark involved is gonna be good times, honestly.

I thought The Flying Swords of Dragon Gate was a giant boring mess, especially baffling considering it was a remake of his own far superior movie that he made 20 years before (which was itself a remake of a 1967 King Hu movie).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Things I learned today: Ho Sung Pak, the actor who plays Henry in Drunken Master II, is also Liu Kang in the first two Mortal Kombat games.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Iron Monkey is good, but I've never understood why it's held in such crazy high esteem. Is it just because it was given a US release?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Finally got around to watching Five Fingers of Death (1972). I can see why it's an influential film, but it's also...not that good. A lot of interesting ideas that wound up being done better in subsequent years. There's also one scene that's a blatant ripoff of Shane, which I found funny.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo is special needs?

There are, like, at least 10 movies where Sammo Hung plays such a character :geno:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Drunken Tai Chi is probably worth checking out just for the fact that it was Donnie Yen's first starring role.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Boinks posted:

Watch the One Armed Swordsman films next.

Then if you can't get enough of cripples watch Return of the Five Deadly Venoms A.K.A. Crippled Avengers.

And if you're really desperate for some more cripple action watch The Crippled Masters.

Except watch Crippled Avengers first because it's the best film ever made.

Not the best martial arts film, the best film.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Should I watch Five Deadly Venoms first?

I don't know why I love these films so much.

It's not actually a sequel -- they just gave it that title to cash in on the popularity of 5 Deadly Venoms. So don't worry about which one you watch first.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

Dubbed, I couldn't find the subbed one.

Crippled Avengers is still my favorite out of all the ones i've seen. Granted i've still YET to watch Lady Snowblodo or Chambers of Shaolin.

You can just stop watching movies altogether, to be honest. It'll only be downhill from here.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Isn't this a thing in other movies, too? I could have sworn there was another martial arts film I once saw where this happened. I mean, like, a hot lady fighter stripping explicitly to distract/subdue/seduce a celibate monk, not the simple act of nudity in a film. I haven't, to my knowledge, seen Duel to the Death, so yeah.

But a 20 foot ninja who explodes into smaller ninja sounds very much like something I need to see, so I'm tracking down a copy as we speak!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68wa2DLVmow&t=2726s

it is a good movie

(boobs at 46:45)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 8, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ip Man is fine, but I didn't love it. I didn't think there was a whole lot of story or imagination to the fights, and it's so self-serious.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

1983 was a helluva year for kung fu films.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Moacher posted:

Oh nice! Thanks for the suggestions. Are they good movies? I don't recognize any of the titles as the usual "big name must-see" ones that usually pop up on lists and such.

Edit: Also, how does Return to the 36th Chamber compare to the original 36th Chamber?

It's a comedy, so...pretty different. It's definitely not essential. However, Shaolin and Wu Tang (1983) is a spiritual sequel directed by Gordon Liu and it's loving awesome, even better than 1978 film in my opinion although not quite as influential. The story is that Liu went and made it after being frustrated by the comedic focus of Return.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Who Am I (1998) is really drat good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Despite the presence of Crippled Avengers, no Drunken Master 2 seems insane enough to invalidate the entire affair.

No Wing Chun either.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I watched Come Drink With Me last night. There was a lot to like but a lot of the action was underwhelming and oddly edited.

Come Drink With Me is a beautiful film the but the action is definitely clumsy. Which is somewhat understandable considering they were still in the process of pioneering the entire genre.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 24, 2015

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I just watched Executioners from Shaolin, the last 30 minutes or so are so goddamn great. I wish the entire movie was just people fighting Pai Mei with a 7 year timeskip between each scene. Also Lily Li is a babe and is awesome in everything I've seen her in.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ZeroPrimal posted:

I've been binging through the Shaw Brothers stuff on Netflix. My two favorites are: The Crippled Avengers and The Kid with the Golden Arm. I really love that stilted fighting style. Anything with any of the Venom Mob is a must-watch.

You have good taste.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RichterIX posted:

Wing Chun is awesome, it's nice to go back and watch Donnie Yen play a dumbass dickhead after so many years of Stoic Badass Donnie Yen.

Self-directed Donnie Yen is the worst Donnie Yen.

And yeah, Wing Chun is super great.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 20, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I can't remember if we had this conversation in here already, but are there any action-comedy Jackie Chan-style flims starring women fighters? My oldest daughter asked me the other day if there were movies where girls fight and go on adventures, and aside from something like Lady Snowblood (which she's totally not ready for), I drew a blank.

Wing Chun (1994)

Pretty kid-friendly too, aside from one scene where the protagonists give each other orgasms via foot massage. But if she's not a teenager the innuendo-y parts will probably go way over her head.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 19, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The OP was asking for lighthearted films to watch with his daughter, who is a child. Jesus Christ guys.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Heh, which may not really be a thing, which is why I asked.

Just watch Wing Chun. It's great. In fact, a lot of Michelle Yeoh movies are probably in line with what you're looking for.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 20, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I hadn't ever really thought about it but there really aren't any Jackie Chan-style action comedies starring women. Anita Mui gets some shots in in Legend of Drunken Master but she spends more time channeling Lucille Ball.

That's pretty sad, because it's a cool idea.

Edit: ^^^ yeah, Wing Chun is about the closest thing. It's on Netflix right now. The cover isn't right but it's the right movie.

I'd recommend The Legend I and II. They're Jet Li vehicles, but do involve quite a bit of his mom (Josephine Siao, who's great) beating people up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

moller posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I was on about when I wrote that. I think Gordon Liu is awesome in 'serious' movies like 8 Diagram Pole FIghter and Master Killer but I feel like he was sometimes shoehorned into indie-style kung fu comedies where he comes off as an aloof tryhard.

It actually worked in Heroes of the East because he was playing a straight man to the out-there supporting cast. But even in that film there were some instances - like his attempt to learn drunken boxing by having his entourage get beaten up by a Beggar So type - where his lack of slapstick ability was apparent. Of course, his character in that film was a snotty rich guy so it was arguably in character for him to be overly stiff and formal when attempting to imitate Lau Kar Leung's moves.

It's sort of like there are two clear archetypes for kung-fu protagonists: the polite, deadly, conflicted moralist (think Jet Li as Wong Fei Hung) and the good-natured loafer prodigy (think Jackie Chan as Wong Fei Hung) and never the twain shall meet.*

I realize it's quite a backpedal, but I don't think I was intending to say that Liu's fighting wasn't cool and exciting, just that his fighting wasn't funny. This is, of course, terribly subjective, and I assume someone can come up with a counterexample of Gordon Liu being a total crackup. I mean, he was pretty hilarious in Kill Bill.

*except in the Wong Jing directed Deadly China Hero

Fists of the White Lotus (1980) , maybe?

e: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x31w0ny
Movie owns super hard, has Lau Kar-leung choreography and features a grandpa getting his balls ripped off in the first 3 minutes

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 19, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jimbot posted:

What are some of the really good Zatoichi movies? I've seen up to movie 6 and I remember liking them all quite a bit. I'm also wondering when the TV series comes into play. Did the theatrical run end then it became a series or did the series happen during the run of the movies?

Honestly, most of them are pretty drat good. Zatoichi '89 is loving awesome, though.

The TV series started airing in 1974, the last film aside from '89 was released in 1973.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 25, 2016

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I was pretty shocked while working my way through the whole set of Zatoichi movies that every single one was good. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. Even in sets of like 5 movies there's usually one in there that sucks.

In fairness, it probably helps that they're basically all the same movie.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Crippled Avengers (1978) is on Netflix streaming, stop whatever you're doing and watch it right now

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I watched this one tonight and loved it. Such a great plot. And the fights were spectacular.

It's wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I want to like Iron Monkey more than I do but I find the fast-forwarding in its fight scenes to be incredibly annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

man in the chicken costume fought the human centipede.

:stonk: