Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Wank posted:

Wow, I wonder if that is what dropped my interest in this genre? These movies just plain work as a VHS cover and a impulse rental. Without that for some reason I just have not been that interested...

I actually prefer the more mid-80s to mid-90s "Hong Kong"(?) time of movies. Project A and (Part 2), Armor of God, Police Story, Once upon a time in China, The Tai Chi Master etc. They seem just more "fun".

Well it's no coincidence that four of those are Jackie Chan movies, and the other two Jet Li. Jackie Chan took his theatre training that he learnt from the Peking Opera School he attended and combined it with huge influences from Buster Keaton and the Three Stooges. I think he's amazing and was probably the most gifted action movie martial artist ever, but I think he's a little too modern or not quite what the OP is looking for, outside of early movies like "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow". That being said "Dragons Forever" is a great send off to the Three Dragons - Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, and Yuen Biao - three friends from the Opera School. Also starring Benny The Jet Urquidez. All four previously starred in the classic "Wheels on Meals".

Bruce Lee obviously was the first star to really bring this kind of cinema to North America and paved the way for Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Who knows where the genre might have ended up without him. Everybody knows "Enter the Dragon", but not nearly as many people have heard of the movie he did directly previous to that, called either "The Way of the Dragon", "Return of the Dragon", or sometimes just "Dragon". It also stars... Chuck Norris. Yup. Norris and Lee were training buddies, and "Way of the Dragon" has a climax of a ten minute fight between the two. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUfuZJI9LK4

stratdax fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU