Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a way of getting DVDs of the version Asian or European of a lot of the films that have seen US releases? For the longest time I thought the stuff that got released here were the versions released in elsewhere until I read the wikipedia article on a few films and found out a lot of stuff was cut for the US release. Mainly political stuff or character moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are there any really good martial arts films that never got a release in the US or whose international version is considered superior to the US release? I picked up a region-free DVD player recently so I want to make use of it. I plan on picking up Wheels on Meals and Dragons Forever - two films I always wanted to see but never got a US release (as far as I know). I always wanted to see those two Jackie Chan films. Any other recommendations?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alright, thanks. I did manage to track down a copy of the international version of Iron Monkey not too long ago (ironically, it was after I asked about it in this thread) and I thought it was alright. Having the Once Upon a Time in China theme play for Wong Fei-Hung was a neat touch but overall I didn't really find it at all that superior to the US release. In fact, I thought the soundtrack was really well done in the US version and it was very understated and forgettable (aside from the Wong Fei-Hung theme) in the international version. But it did have some nice character moments that are absent in the US version.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, Dragon Tiger Gate is such delightful shlock.

G-III posted:

It looks like Donnie's physical appearance is finally catching up to his actual chronological age. Took him long enough.

I tell you, with these martial artists the death knell of their young looks is getting that buzzed short hair style. Same thing happened with Jackie Chan. Jet Li, on the other hand, had it most of his career and is forever 40 years old, even when he was younger.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Is Ip Man not well regarded around here? I like it but I don't have the hatred for Donnie Yen that seems to be pretty common. I did think someone's post a few weeks ago about him always having to put his rear end in every movie he directs/stars in was pretty on point though.

That hatred thing is new to me. I like the guy and everything he has been in that I've seen. Ip Man is a pretty fantastic film. The second one is great too, if only for some of the fights.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I was watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin last night and boy, I do like that film a whole heck of a lot. I always enjoyed the choreography from the Shaw Bros days. It's slower and more deliberate, almost like a dance, but the shots lasted a fair amount of time rather than the hyper kinetic Tsui Hark rapid cuts of the early 90's martial art films (Watch One-Armed Swordsman then watch The Blade).

Anyway, I have a question. That film's backdrop is political. I know absolutely nothing about Chinese history other than the Three Kingdom stuff and that was because of Dynasty Warriors. Once Upon a Time in China was kind of easy to follow since it dealt with China slowly losing its culture from all these foreign powers taking over and stealing everything. But what was going on in 36th Chamber? I'd love some historical context, if anyone cares to elaborate on that period of Chinese history.

Oh and has there any other companies that picked up the torch from Dragon Dynasty? I know that label has its detractors but I loved that they brought over all these films that otherwise wouldn't see a western US release.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

Sammo Hung's death in the second one is just so hilariously mean spirited it felt like it snuck in from a lifetime movie about cancer.

What's a man without pride? One that leaves his wife a widow and children fatherless. Also probably penniless and homeless since their source of income just stopped.

Sure showed that racist, arrogant prick though! Not really.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wonder which ones they mattered a ton. I managed to see the original cut of Iron Monkey and what was cut really doesn't add a whole lot to the story. Fleshes out the setting a little more, sure, and makes some of the hits utterly brutal but beyond that the US cut is perfectly fine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I finally got around to seeing Dragon with Donnie Yen and Takeshi Kaneshiro. I really enjoyed it and it's probably one of Donnie Yen's best performances outside the first Ip Man movie. I really liked how the film explored acupuncture and chi and its effects on the body - something you don't see in many kung-fu films. If you want a Chinese version of A History of Violence with not as harsh body horror (and there is some in the film) I really recommend it. Great performances all around and the action is top-notch. One of the early fights reminds me of Shaw Bros era choreography, which I really liked. Also got a chance to see one of Jet Li's earlier films Martial Arts of Shaolin. It's another film I thoroughly enjoyed. (A young) Jet Li is top form in that one. He's incredibly fast and showcases all of his talents in it. It also has some pretty gorgeous mainland China shots too. As someone who really only new Jet Li's HK work with Tsui Hark and his other 90's films, it was a real eye-opener to see him in a Shaw Bros film.

Both of them are on netflix.

Speaking of Jet Li films, I need a title for one of them. The only scene I vividly remember and it's why I want to see it again is him walking down a street, with a blindfold on and with like two dozen swords strapped to his back and he just murders dozens of guys with them. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Unfortunately the Ip Man movies suffer from Donnie Yen's Ego Disease.

You keep saying this just about every time a modern Donnie Yen movie is brought up but no one but you knows what this means or how it even effects the movie in question.

Boinks posted:

I've heard the US version is garbage compared to the original cut, but I've only seen the US DVD version.

I thought this until I saw both of them finally and it's not really the case. Just slightly more politicking and some nasty hits, like bodies bending in unnatural ways. I actually prefer the new soundtrack myself.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stephen Chow is the master of the jump-cut gag. He does them extremely well in God of Cookery and in Kung-Fu Hustle. The scene where the guy creeping up on them with a knife when they're watching the dough bounce then cutting to him sitting down and watching it too had me laughing for a good long while. It was so perfect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is the Lady Snowblood sequel worth watching? Both films are up on Netflix and I've seen the first film - which I liked a whole of a lot. But I've never knew it had a sequel. Has a bunch of Kurosawa and Zatoichi films up there too - all from the Criterion collection. Saw Throne of Blood last night - amazing film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

What are some of the really good Zatoichi movies? I've seen up to movie 6 and I remember liking them all quite a bit. I'm also wondering when the TV series comes into play. Did the theatrical run end then it became a series or did the series happen during the run of the movies?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Is there some kind of rule that says kung fu movies have to end super abruptly? I was watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and had to rewind it because I thought the stream had hosed up.

36th Chamber is actually one of the few where it ends on a logical note. Now watch one where the movie ends mid fight with the antagonist. Especially so if its on a freeze-frame of him being knocked down or in the air or tumbling. Those are the most jarring.

For those with the knowledge, I was wondering why after Samaritan Zatoichi they took a two year break from the franchise. Just seemed weird to me that they'd make 2-4 movies a year for nearly a decade then just take a two year break. Were they just not bringing in the box office? Run out of material?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He's 45 years old now and I just watched the Goonies. In fact, watching it with the video commentary is some motherfucking whiplash.

Ok, that's my Goonies derail. How about them kung fu classic martial arts cinema?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lamont posted:

Does anyone know what film this amazing gif is from?

https://gfycat.com/EagerMadeupHarpseal

I have no idea but that's the guy from Yakuza 0. His fists are a powerful in that game as in that clip. (His bro's are much more powerful, however)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is it even possible to get that movie in the US? I saw it online and it's really darn good but I want to own the drat film.

Speaking of Jackie Chan. Can anyone recommend some of his early films? I love and own the original Drunken Master film, I have Snake in Eagle's Shadow and Dragon Lord.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Back in the day, Prime Video actually sort their stuff by genre. Now it's just a mess to navigate that tries to trick people into buying a video thinking it's a free one that comes with Prime. You used to find all kinds of martial arts films under the action tab. On occasion, netflix categorizes martial arts as Martial Arts, but I haven't seen that in forever as it seems like their genres are categorized by algorithm.

Streaming services are trash these days.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some of the older films I wish they'd go back and give it a good proper score. It's so out of place to hear music from Star Wars in Snake in Eagle's Shadow.

I'm half expecting Luke to show up and make that one in a million shot!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know one of my favorite aspects of the old kung fu films are the titles. Films just aren't called that any more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I know he said he's done doing crazy stunts, not sure if that extends do doing more martial art films.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nroo posted:

It's incredibly good.

Hey now, Yes, Madam! is by no definition of the word "bad"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8KnmRvqd0

Michelle Yeoh also stars in its psuedo-sequel Royal Warriors which is also great, AND streaming on Prime.

Is there a good, legal way of owning Yes, Madam? Movie looks baller as heck, but like most non-Jackie Chan or even Jet Li films, finding Region 1 DVDs is impossible or requires you to take out a loan to afford the prices of what may or may not be a knock-off disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I enjoyed Wheels on Meals more than Dragons Forever but both are great.