Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Tai Chi Master, AKA the Twin Warriors has most of what you mentioned. Then again that plot is kind of stock standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
You can see the difference with Chan compared any of his contempararies, even now. There's always those couple of quick light hits building up to the big moves. There's probably a better term for them than that. Chan and his guys sell the hell out of those punches. There's nothing in his movies that's half assed. Everything has to be perfect. You hear a lot of stories about what a lunatic Chan is on set, what a perfectionist, and you can see that's why his stuff is the way it is. He also understands character and narrative better than anyone else that comes to mind.

Just a quick question, is there any particular reason no new, stable stars have emerged out of Hong Kong/China? I may be completely wrong about this, but it seems that all the martial arts stars that are leading men now were already big when I was a kid. Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Donnie Yen. Have there been big stars that just haven't made it to the West?

EDIT: I also got reminded by the mention of Heroes of the East how very few Tonfa fight scenes I've seen. The only other one off the top of my head is the first hallway fight in The Raid, which isn't quite the same thing. Any recommendations?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 6, 2014

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CloseFriend posted:

Louis Koo is the biggest name I can think of. As for why he hasn't broken through in the west, your guess is as good as mine, but he's a giant star in Hong Kong.

I've actually seen him in a bunch of stuff, including his Johnnie To films, which were great. I guess I should have specified martial arts stars. In the way bad movie magazine writers put it, is there an inheritor to the Jackie Chan/Jet Li crown?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

He's like Tony Jaa all over again.

Woah, woah, woah. Let's not say things we can't take back. Tony Jaa was a good athlete and terrible actor who went insane and hung out with Panthers in the middle of directing Ong Bak 2. Every film of his was worse than the one before it. Ong Bak 2 doesn't even have an ending. The Protector 2 somehow manages to make less sense than the first one. Which is impressive. There's a bit in The Protector where they're hiding at a temple. The fat comic relief guy tells Tony they have to leave. They do. They take a short drive, drop some unimportant information, then head back to find the temple on fire (and of course fight some people). It's one of the most inept sequences I've ever seen in a film. Whoever was writing it had seen movies where the hero returns to find his place of refuge in flames, and so put one in his movie, without bothering to set the place up as a refuge in the first place, or give them a decent reason to leave the place or even come back. The whole film is just a collection of stuff that happens.

Anyway, I know Uwais and his team have a long way to go, but the improvement they've shown in just three films is pretty drat impressive.

I was asking specifically about Chinese/Hong Kong movie stars. I just realised how old all the old guard are getting and was wondering if there were any new stars.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lobok posted:

I'm not saying Uwais is Jaa in any way, shape, or form, just that Jaa is a cautionary tale against saying "Lookee here, we've got our new martial arts superstar!" after some early success.

Yeah, that's fine. I don't disagree. We should be able to agree, though, that Merantau-Raid-Raid 2 is a much more promising start than Ong Bak-Protector, Ong Bak 2.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I think I'm the only person in the world who likes or even remembers Tsui Harks Seven Swords from 2005. While it's got it's flaws there's some gorgeous moments. Double Team also gave us the line "Men are strong, Jack, but Tigers...are stronger"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Like Kung Fu Cult Master!!

just watch it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_23BWterUc

That's the one that doesn't have an ending

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah it does. The Legend of the Condor Heroes TV series.

That's not what the word 'ending' means.
That's part of the movie's charm. It just stops seemingly in the middle of a scene

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wheels on Meals has the crazy fight with Urquidez, right?

One of the two. They rematch in "Dragons Forever"

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo is special needs?

No, that's "Heart of Dragon"
Or at least, it was in my local video store. That one ends with Chan fighting through a construction yard

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

I've been on a crazy movie frenzy this last week, I've watched in rapid succession Dragons forever, Police history, Project A and Snake in the eagles shadow, among others.

Of all of this, Project A is in my opinion the best, it has a constant, frenetic pacing (without dropping in the middle of the movie), decent soundtrack, decent acting, Sammo and Yuen Biao being funny without being too much hammy or awkward (looking at you, Dragons Forever) and a not too bad plot. The action is really good, with an incredible stunt (that clock homage to Safety Last!) and the entire bicycle chase is really amusing. The only drawback is it doesn't have a memorable villain/fight like Benny Urquidez in Wheels on Meals/Dragons Forever.

Easily my new favorite Jackie Chan movie :allears:

The sequel has a dumb, insanely confusing plot (I've seen it twice and still don't what it's about) but has some of his absolute best stunt sequences.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fenix down posted:

I like new faces as much as anyone, but Protector 3 was such a huge waste of them. :(

Do you mean 2? The dreadful Tony Jaa movie? With RZA as a villain for some inexplicable reason?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fenix down posted:

Correct, my brain got the 3 from Ong-bak 3 apparently. But Protector 2 had Tony Jaa, RZA, and Jeeja Yanin (from Chocolate), it should have been great!!

Currently catching up on some classics that are on youtube: Magnificent Butcher, One-Armed Swordsman, Shaolin Temple, Deadly Duo, and Seven Blows of the Dragon.

Tony Jaa's career path has been one of the sadder things in the film industry, how he went from such a bright young talent to a burnout so quickly. And we barely got one good movie out of it. (lots of good fights though)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Keep in mind, Jackie Chan was forty when he made Drunken Master 2.

Keep in mind that Jackie Chan is pretty much a one of a kind, freak talent both in front of and behind the camera.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

FeastForCows posted:

I already posted this in the "Identify a movie for me" thread a couple of weeks ago, but maybe the chances of someone knowing this movie are better in here.

I think the Scorpion King (not the one with the Rock) has a similar sequence.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Those are some loving amazing legs she's got. She needs a better choreographer, but holy crap what an athlete.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
His greatest feat was making Donnie Yen seem kind of likable on the Iron Monkey commentary track.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Got round to watching Haywire earlier and I definitely agree with some of this. The fight scenes were great but the film felt like a missed opportunity. The plot never really engaged me and none of the big names really justified their inclusion. Carano herself was good, although she was dubbed. A shame, since it really could've been a female Bourne film.

It kind of was if they'd been made in the 70s.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Boinks posted:

Young Master is ok. Are you sure you didn't see Young Tiger by mistake?

Young Master ends with this hilarious image:

Young Master is a bit better than just okay.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ip Man is fine, but I didn't love it. I didn't think there was a whole lot of story or imagination to the fights, and it's so self-serious.

Sammo Hung's death in the second one is just so hilariously mean spirited it felt like it snuck in from a lifetime movie about cancer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Jimbot posted:

What's a man without pride? One that leaves his wife a widow and children fatherless. Also probably penniless and homeless since their source of income just stopped.

Sure showed that racist, arrogant prick though! Not really.

The best part was he still only lost because he had a heart attack in the middle of the fight against a well prepared opponent half his age. They top that in the finale though. Donnie remembers advising him to attack the biceps, and Sammo replying that it wasn't that simple. Then Donnie attacks the biceps and wins almost immediately. Like, not only did lose and die and orphan his children, he also couldn't take correct advice. it's kind of an amazing movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

In addition to everything that's been said, I'd also recommend Police Story 2, Dragons Forever (mostly for that amazing final fight), Project A2, and The Young Master.

Miracles is fun, but the action scenes make up a relatively small part of the film. I'd say it's more of a straight comedy for the most part.

But it is also very sweet. I've always described Chan movies as like live action Asterix comics in tone, and Miracles illustrates that beautifully.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ip Man?!

Donnie Yen's ego dragged that one down like most movies he doesn't just act in and/or choreograph...

Also missing, any one of these: New Dragon Inn, Heroic Trio, Above the Law, Swordsman 2, Fiery Dragon Kid, Deadful Melody, or any one of the hundreds of other kung fu movies with great female leads.

Ong Bak 2? Gahhh.

Ong Bak 2's final fight is amazing and really ambitious. The problem is sitting through the rest of the complete loving mess.

Those lists tend to be "Here's 10 examples of (genre/style/film nationality) that you've probably heard of, get angry about omissions in the comments section because that poo poo drives our ad revenue."

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I like Ip Man but it definitely drags at times and gets a bit heavier than I usually like my martial arts films.
It peaks in the first half. Everything after the Japanese invasion is on a lower level, and the final showdown is garbage.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RichterIX posted:

I vaguely remember reading that there are different cuts of Grandmaster. Is one version better than the others? Are any of the versions good? Everything I've heard about the movie is really mixed.

Also I know that everyone has pretty much torn up that list already, but no Wheels on Meals?

I've met Benny the Jet. He still runs kickboxing seminars. I recommend it as it's the closest you'll get to meeting Yoda.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Man, Jaa really fell off. He seemed to be the new Jackie Chan, turned out to be much more Michael Dudikoff.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

potatocubed posted:

I want to say The Evil Cult (or Kung Fu Cult Master, or one of its other half dozen names) but I'm not certain.

It sounds like something that would fit right in with that film, at least.

That's the one that doesn't have an ending. They run after the main villain the movie just stops. Like they ran out of footage. It owns.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There was a movie mentioned earlier that I've missed on a re-read, some clip where a bunch of ninjas combine into a giant super ninja. It's not Duel to the Death, that's the reverse.

Actually, now I'm not sure if they were ninjas.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The last thing I remember Yuen Woo Ping directing was "True Legend" which was loving awesome. I'm for this.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It looks exactly like a kung fu movie. There's a forest, guys in masks. It all checks out. This is probably going to be a kung fu movie.

BTW, Holy weapon, goddamn. I'm just 15 minutes in and it's already profoundly insane.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is great and Michelle Yeoh is a treasure.

These statements are both true.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
To be fair, Police Story 1 and 2 are, for my money, Chan's best work. They're absolutely loving amazing. That playground fight in 2 should be beamed into space, so aliens know what the score is.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

But Project A I and II, Drunken Master I and II, Miracles, Young Master...they're so good too.

They are. Picking a top 5, or even 10 from Chan is really loving hard. But, for me, Police Story 1 and 2 indicate why he is brilliant and unique.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

loving sold

Speaking of, is there anything like the Raid series out there? It seems like the bulk of martial arts movies are much slower-paced and have much more stagey fights; I don't have a problem with this (hell, Master of the Flying Guillotine is probably one of my favorite movies period nowadays) but it doesn't really scratch the same itch. Are there any other movies that are just the bare minimum of setup and then pretty much constant shitwrecking until the credits roll, or at the very least have the kind of crazy-brutal fights those movies have?

There's a couple of Korean movies with a broadly equitable style, like A Bittersweet Life and A City of Violence.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The worst thing about CTHD is how the bad guy is built up in hush tones, then just loses a three minute fight and dies. He does nothing scary, he's not a direct, or even indirect threat for 99% of the movie, but we keep getting told he's a badass. Then he shows up and loses.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

Ha ha, that's funny as hell, I am clearly thinking of a different gag, the Police Story 2 opening scene where they crash downhill through a shantytown.

What are you thinking of?

That's the opening of Police Story 1. Police Story 2 is a pretty great film, and contains one of Jackie Chan's best fight scenes (the playground fight) but the shantytown scene is definitely, beyond any doubt, in the first one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I like having my eyes focused totally on the actors, and I've learned to find them awkward pauses and such charming.

Also Project A is an underrated Chan classic with a couple oh-holy-poo poo classic Jackie stunts.

And number 2, while it's way too loving complicated, still has two scenes that are pretty much pure distilled Chan. They're not necessarily his best work, but they are a perfect encapsulation of what set him apart.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's one I've seen, Mantis Boxer or something, that ends mid blow. The hero punches or kicks the villain in half and it ends right there.