Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish they'd put Pedicab Driver out proper in Canada/US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

How is being able to consistently deliver on this not hard work?

I think what he's saying is it's not so much work ethic as he's literally been programmed to work his fingers to the bone to get the desired result that he wants because basically, he knows no other way. I don't think anybody would imply that Jackie doesn't actually work hard for real.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What would you guys recommend for a kung fu fan who loves kung fu flicks set in cop/triad/yakuza and ancient mainland China (i.e. Drunken Master I and II)? I've seen a bunch of Sammo, Donnie Yen, and every one of the Jackie movies considered classic. I love Tony Jaa, and the Raid was a total thrill. I also liked Master of the Flying Guillotine, Fist of Legend, all of Bruce's movies,and then Ip Man series. Any suggestions?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CloseFriend posted:

No, I'm cognizant of it; I was mostly just agreeing with you. I find the film hard to fault for such an obvious invocation of brownface.

At the risk of derailing, the way the film handles race makes for an interesting discussion all on its own anyway, since while it's pretty easy for us Americans to find it revolting, that sort of minstrelsy doesn't offend nearly as much outside of America. For instance, Wendy van Dijk is a famous Dutch comedian who actually still performs in yellowface and blackface; she released a movie featuring her famous yellowface character as recently as last year!

I really don't think the fighting game genre would ever have happened if not for Master of the Flying Guillotine. Hell, aside from Dhalsim, you can see progenitors of Adon, Chun-Li, Sokaku Mochizuki, Joe Higashi, Shang Tsung… Even in other kung fu films, Chin Gentsai obviously comes from the title character in Drunken Master, and Fei Long famously derives straight from Bruce Lee.

Almost every notable fighting game franchise had a Bruce knockoff at some point. Fei Long, Marshall Law, Liu Kang, Kim Dragon, Maxi, etc....

poo poo, they even made Johnny Cage a JKD practitioner when they experimented with having unique specific styles in Mortal Kombat:Deadly Alliance and Mortal Kombat: Deception.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Iron Monkey is good, but I've never understood why it's held in such crazy high esteem. Is it just because it was given a US release?

I think it's a product of being of of the first wire-fu movies. It helps that it's fairly light hearted, the fights are excellent, and Tarantino put his name on it as a "executive producer".

The US release thing doesn't hurt, mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
IIRC, Drive was supposed to be a vehicle for Stallone and Chan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yes it was . Steve Wang also directed one of my favorite Us HK-Style parodies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkgW62owQBU

Kung Fu Rascals...

Guest Starring Les Claypoole from Primus as the Sheriff of Ching Wa County!

I sorta wish Stallone and Chan had gone through with it. I don't know if it would have been good, but it likely wouldn't have been boring.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Oh god yes. One of the best Chan's. Benny the Jet is awesome and Sammo plays sleazy so well.

Wheels on Meals has the crazy fight with Urquidez, right?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

One of the two. They rematch in "Dragons Forever"

Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo is special needs?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CeeJee posted:

Didn't Bolo Yeung play a lawyer in some movie as a bit part just to be something other then huge henchman ?

I just imagined him in court, and during the "Please rise for the honorable judge (insert name here)", doing his "YOU!" point at the opposing counsel, then doing his pec dance thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

We can't talk about Sammo, Yuen and Jackie being raised by opera school without talking about the great film Painted Faces, which is a dramatization of their school days with Sammo playing the headmaster.

Please talk more about this, just noticed it.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oracle posted:

Yeah iirc a lot of those studios folded and the distribution rights/ownership are up in the air, and copyright was a pretty fast and loose thing back then as it was.

I'd imagine some of the studios that snatched up the films are gone, too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 14, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wish they'd put a proper Pedicab Driver release out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah I was trying to go through the list in the OP so that's on there; I skipped a few (One Armed Swordsman, Angry River) and am up to Lady Snowblood and 36 Chamber. I'm not too sure about either though as I tend to like these movies more riduclous and they both seem a little more serious :shrug:.

Will probably watch 5 Deadly Venoms in a bit then.

What's the absolutely most ridiculous martial arts movie around? I think I saw a image of a penis monster or something earlier in this thread?

Riki-Oh:The Story of Ricky has to be a contender. Also, Fantasy Mission Force (although calling it a Kung Fu movie is a bit of a stretch, it does have Jimmy Wang Yu and Jackie Chan in it, and the story of why Jackie is in it is interesting), as is Return of the Bastard Swordsman. Here's a description:

quote:

It’s pretty common for people in kung fu movies to have superpowers—they fly, punch trees in half, whatever. There is a man in Return of the Bastard Swordsman who has mastered the power of the silkworm, and he uses that power to produce silk from his hands at will. Don’t laugh—he can spear enemies through the torso with solid shafts of silk, or hurl a massive cocoon at them.

Set against this formidable super-pugilist is an evil cult master with the ability to make an opponent’s heart explode, causing him to vomit blood. For some reason he accomplishes this by repeatedly puffing up his chest like a toad. Only by playing big taiko drums can one hope to counter his attack.

This film, released by Shaw Brothers in the mid-eighties, is a prime example of what filmmakers can do using only practical effects, with just a smattering of ILM-style visuals, particularly during a major fight scene midway through the story. Breakneck old school personal combat combines with wirework, flying boulders, whirling silken cocoons as big as an Oldsmobile, and general magic martial arts craziness to make a viewing experience that is delightful, compelling, and visually one of a kind.

Although this is a sequel to the Shaw Brothers film Bastard Swordsman, it isn’t necessary to have seem the first film to thoroughly enjoy this one.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
BTW, if you've never seen Pedicab Driver, it's on youtube, with subtitles in Cantonese, right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOSOWnhQtiQ

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
To steal from Teleport City, the cool thing about Way of the Dragon is the juxtaposition of Lee feeling powerless and lost in social situations because of his bumpkin ways, but when poo poo goes down and he has to fight, he's a cool customer, because he's fluent in Beat the Crap Outta You-ese.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Slim Dragonfists sounds like something from the Wu-Tang name generator.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Kung Fu Yoga any good? It just popped up on my Netflix, and I do love me some Jackie Chan....

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What would you guys say are the absolute best Hong Kong Jackie Chan movies? I'm trying to decide which ones I need to see next. I've seen:

Drunken Master I & II
Supercop (or Police Story III)
My Lucky Stars
Fantasy Mission Force
Police Story I and II plus that recent one that wasn't very good
City Hunter
Who Am I?
Little Big Soldier
Mr. Nice Guy
The Accidental Spy

I once watched Armour of God but was literally so sick I passed out in a hallway about halfway through. I've heard good things about Dragons Forever, Thunderbolt, and GREAT things about Meals on Wheels. Am I missing anything?

Also, will Pedicab Driver ever get a decent release in NA? Watched it once and loved it but I've heard it's notoriously tough to get a hold of.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He's currently making a movie with John Cena, also.

How's the selection of Kung Fu on Amazon Prime?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 25, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This'll end in tears

https://deadline.com/2018/07/enter-the-dragon-bruce-lee-remake-david-leitch-deadpool-2-john-wick-warner-bros-1202431792/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is this any good?

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Ashes_Of_Time_Redux?id=MKthQkvU1w8

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Dragons Forever the one where Sammo plays Jackie's developmentally disabled brother?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oracle posted:

It’s the one where Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao star together for the last time. Chan is a lawyer, Biao is some kind of mentally disturbed criminal and Hung is an arms dealer. They’re friends of Chan’s character who he recruits to try to smear the fishery owner suing a chemical plant that’s polluting the water where they fish (the chemical plant retains him to do this). Eventually they discover the chemical plant is a front for drug traffickers and turn on them.

Right, and one of them fights a squirrelly guy with a cigar and glasses at the end, right? And he slides down a railing in an evil fashion.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lobok posted:

In Jackie Chan films, yeah. He's also one of the highlights of Grosse Pointe Blank.

He's also one of the muggers according MJ before the famous upside-down kiss in Spider-Man.

It is I... Sidney Feldman.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Magnificent Butcher is also pretty funny, although kinda dark in parts

Eastern Condors isn't funny but it is a pretty good Dirty Dozen pastiche

I love me some Sammo Hung. If only Pecicab Driver was commonly available. Had a chance to buy a bootleg for 5 bucks once and didn't, wish I had

Also:

quote:

George Lucas originally wanted him to be the lightsaber fight choreographer for the Star Wars prequels.

Pretty sure Bob from Tekken is based on him, too.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 13, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Prime just added some classic Jackie, Drunken Master II, and the Prisoner

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Has there been any talk about a martial arts streaming service? Ideally one that is good, there's been a few sketchy ones primarily consisting of public domain stuff and Brucesploitation

Like maybe a Dragon Dynasty one, they seem to own a fair bit of rights

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anita Mui is so great in Drunken Master II

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Folks, I can't remember if it was this thread, or the physical media thread, but one of you posted a great link to a website with a great selection of region free kung fu DVD's, and I'd be appreciative if it could be posted if it was here

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Worst to best I presume?

I've been watching Martial Law again. I love it and Sammo. But I've never really watched any Sammo movies believe it or not. Any reccomendations?

Magnificent Butcher, Eastern Condors, and if you can get it, Pedicab Driver

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
A sublabel of Terracotta Films called 88 films (I hope that's not an allusion to what it sounds like) is releasing a bunch of Jackie Chan Golden Harvest films in November, and the region is listed as ABC, this should mean I can watch it on a North American DVD player from the googling I did, is that correct?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I see Vinegar Syndrome has Righting Wrongs which I'm familiar with, and Iceman Cometh, a Yen Biao movie. Is Iceman any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Magnificent Butcher is absolutely worth your time