Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Probably a long shot, but does anyone know if there actually exists decent Bluray transfers of Once Upon a Time in China 1&2, or Police Story? The DVD versions I saw were horrible quality, looked like they were probably bad VHS transfers. I've seen them for sale on Bluray, but I'm pretty skeptical of the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

I can vouch for the Dragon Dynasty Police Story DVD transfer being good but I have no idea about Blurays, sorry.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have the Columbia/Tristar DVDs of OUaTiC 1 and 2 and they look great.

I will give those a shot then, a good DVD transfer is better than nothing at all. Whatever versions I got from Netflix rental were nearly unwatchable.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Was that new Police Story: Lockdown worth a watch at all? Just noticed that on Netflix and it took me a minute to realize it was that Police Story series.

Also I'm probably super late on this but I noticed Lady Snowblood has a Criterion Collection release coming on January 6th.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Watched a whole lot of martial arts flicks this weekend, here was the take away:

Come Drink With Me - 9/10 - Wasn't really sure what to expect going into this one, but I really enjoyed it. As mentioned, the fight scenes are pretty roughly edited, in many places it seems like sound is just missing. But there's still a lot of fun to the fights, characters and story, and Pei-Pei Cheng does a great job in the lead roll. Among the rest of the cast, Smiling Tiger was another big favorite, but most of the main characters are pretty great. I wish the end of the movie had more time to spend with Cheng, but the story really shifts over to Fan Ta-p'i to wrap things up.

God of Cookery - 6/10 - I have a tough time rating this one. The parts of this movie that were funny were extremely funny, but a bunch of jokes didn't land for me or were perhaps just a little too absurd or random for my tastes. Worth a watch, but definitely could have been a lot tighter.

The Streetfighter - 7/10 - Could probably have been better titled as "The Scumbag". Sonny Chiba stars as a giant pile of poo poo who beats people up for money and sells women into sex slavery. He then sexually harasses another women to coerce a Karate dojo into letting him beat them up, but just loses to a middle aged man. This somehow gets him a job protecting a woman, which he completely fucks up. In the end, he doesn't really beat any of the bad guys and the movie just ends with nothing resolved. Pretty special! Lots of fun, some decent fights and pretty entertaining all around.

Lady Snowblood - 10/10 - Yeah the big winner of the weekend, watched the Criterion release of the first movie. Don't need to say much else that the thread hasn't covered, it's a fantastic revenge flick, gorgeous and with great characters. Pick it up if you haven't seen it yet.

Way of the Dragon - 6/10 - Bruce Lee beats up a bunch of jobbers including Chuck Norris (who is disturbingly harry and without shirt), also spends large portions of the movie exuding charisma all over the screen in his usual manor. Pretty decent, some great fights here and there, but not something I would say is particularly great as a whole. Also cats.

Wing Chun - 9/10 - Another surprise hit, I followed Netflix's suggestion and gave this a spin. Tons of great fighting and humor, loved the cast all around.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 18, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

G-III posted:

The Golden Swallow is one of Chang Cheh's most brutal flicks with respect to body count and really stands up there along side "The Duel" and "Delightful Forest"

Additionally, watching any of shaw brothers movies starring Pei Pei Cheng is never a bad idea. I definitely recommend flicks like "The Jade Raksha," "The Shadow Whip," and "The Lady Hermit."

I'll keep my eyes out for any of these. For now we're mostly working through what's available on Netflix, as most of their stuff seems to have pretty decent transfers. Hadn't mentioned but we watched The Streetfighter on Amazon Prime and the transfer was terrible, looked like a wide-screen VHS rip, not even scaled to fit the screen properly.

Regarding Way of the Dragon, I feel like I might have rated it a little low, but I also don't feel like I really loved the movie. Most of the fight scenes were pretty great, but something about everything else just felt like it really dragged hard for me. I liked The Big Boss better and I couldn't really tell you why. :shrug:

Speaking of, does anyone have any idea if there's a decent un-censored version of The Big Boss available anywhere? I'm curious to see it because I hear the version we have here is butchered pretty badly.

Here's this weekend's haul, it was really solid:

Supercop - 10/10 - AKA Police Story 3. Wowza. Jackie Chan doing his usual thing with Michelle Yeoh as his partner. This movie really moves, it doesn't waste any time explaining things and just expects you to follow as things continue to ramp up. And boy do they. Explosions on the level of Commando, ridiculous chase scenes, insane stunts, the works. Someone's head gets spiked with a Durian. Some good martial arts scenes in there as well, many tied in with the rest of the insanity that's going on. As usual, the end credits show 'making of' bloopers and accidents and they give you a real serious appreciation for just how completely insane Jackie Chan is. Seriously how is he still alive.

The 5 Deadly Venoms - 9/10 - Really solid entry from the Venom Mob. This movie is much more subdued than I was expecting, much of the runtime is spent as a sort of crime mystery (trying to figure out who all the 5 are) and investigation. Lots of police and courtroom corruption, torture, murder. It's a fair bit different from a lot of the other movies I've seen from these guys, we really enjoyed it.

5 Element Ninjas - 9/10 (Rewatch) - I've seen this one before but my wife hadn't, still holds up very well. It's not very interesting in terms of characters or plot, but it more than makes up for that with some great fight scenes and plenty of classic ninja nonsense, including what can only be described as the most versatile martial arts weapon ever created. Also something about titty ninjas or whatever. Also features what is likely the best THE END I've ever seen.

For completeness sake, these are some one I watched last year-ish in no particular order, with a vague rating as best I can:
36th Chamber of Shaolin - 9/10
Disciples of the 36th Chamber - 5/10
Crippled Avengers - 8/10
Kid with the Golden Arm - 8/10
Invincible Armour - 8/10

Police Story 1 - 10/10
Project A - 8/10
Drunken Master 1 - I'm certain I watched this but all I remember is the last fight. It's on my 'rewatch soon' list.

Once Upon a Time in China - 10/10
Once Upon a Time in China 2 - 9/10

Also I watched that movie on Luridak's stream I think it was, it was badly dubbed and had a black Shaolin monk I think. It was really weird.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 25, 2016

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Speaking of, watched Eight Diagram Pole Fighter tonight. It was overall pretty decent and enjoyable, but the last fight really made the movie.

On the other hand, I noted that the movie felt pretty disjointed, almost like it had been heavily edited (I was watching the English dub sadly so that was my first suspicion), and plot threads completely abandoned as the movie went on.
So to no surprise it turns out that one of the lead actors died before they finished filming, and the movie had to be re-written half way through. :smith:

Still, the movie doesn't suffer too bad from that, and if nothing else you should check out the last fight of the movie just to see some serious teeth action.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Supercop is a lot of fun as well, not quite as insane as Police Story 1 but still filled with a lot of the same kinds of stunts and gags. I think they might have pulled it from Netflix now though?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

So a ton of old Jackie Chan movies are up on ShoutFactoryTV for streaming right now, including Police Story 1 and 2 and thread favorite Fantasy Mission Force. It's all free, so check it out if you have a minute.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/film/martial_arts

:getin:

Also uh ... watched Circle of Iron. Went in expecting a whole lot of David Carradine silliness, got that and a whole lot of :stare: :stare: :stare:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That Shaw Brothers news is awesome, hopefully they show some of them near here.

Also the local Alamo is showing something called The Sword and the Claw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhAw833KY4
I feel like I need to see this.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looks like the first Shaw Brothers from AGFA to hit here is going to be Come Drink With Me: https://drafthouse.com/northern-virginia/show/come-drink-with-me

And I might already be busy that day :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What up

Bruce Lee: His Greatest Hits

quote:

4K digital restorations of The Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Game of Death, and The Way of the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtracks
New 2K digital restoration of the rarely-seen 99-minute 1973 theatrical version of Enter the Dragon, with uncompressed original monaural soundtrack
2K digital restoration of the 102-minute “special-edition” version of Enter the Dragon
Alternate audio soundtracks for the films, including original English-dubbed tracks and a 5.1 surround soundtrack for the special-edition version of Enter the Dragon
etc etc etc

Gonna be wild to see The Big Boss in quality better looking than "bootleg VHS transfer."