Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I first saw God of Cookery on TV in China with no inkling of what it was, assuming from the title it was maybe a Chinese cooking show or something. Needless to say I was surprised, but pleasantly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel stupid for not being able to find this with search, but a while ago someone in one of the MMA or maybe pro wrestling threads posted a clip of this old guy's video series of how awesome his martial arts skills are and it was all just him like waving his hand at someone three feet away and them falling over like you were supposed to believe you'd be shooting blasts of energy out of your hands if you were as good as this guy. It was absurdly fake looking with folks falling over or otherwise getting blown away conveniently. But then someone posted a clip of him fighting an actual martial artist who of course handily defeated him. Anyways the old guy seemed genuinely shocked his stuff wasn't working during this, does anyone have links to these or know what I'm talking about? Was this old guy a true believer? Are the 20~30 people he tosses around his videos all playing along with him knowing they're playing along? What was this?

There are a lot of the former videos, mostly showing Systema and Kiai "masters". The second video is something about Systema vs MMA or something and Halloween Jack posted it somewhere in CineD recently but it's a long running joke in PSP.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Speaking of, watched Eight Diagram Pole Fighter tonight. It was overall pretty decent and enjoyable, but the last fight really made the movie.

On the other hand, I noted that the movie felt pretty disjointed, almost like it had been heavily edited (I was watching the English dub sadly so that was my first suspicion), and plot threads completely abandoned as the movie went on.
So to no surprise it turns out that one of the lead actors died before they finished filming, and the movie had to be re-written half way through. :smith:

Still, the movie doesn't suffer too bad from that, and if nothing else you should check out the last fight of the movie just to see some serious teeth action.

The Chinese literary tradition is also just a lot more tolerant of digressions and dropped plots. Most of the great classics of Chinese lit are fragmentary, unfinished, or compiled from multiple sources and it's just not considered a big gently caress up to have plot elements that go nowhere or stories unresolved.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter whips rear end, it's a huge step up from 36th Chamber, but the dub is fucken horrible on amazon

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish these fuckers would let you watch those movies with either dubs or subs.

For real. I speak mediocre mandarin so it annoys me that much more. I went on a kick this weekend and watched 8 Diagram, 36th Chamber, Crippled Avengers, and 5 Deadly Venoms but they're all dubbed. It bothered me less as a kid but it's a lot more distracting in HD

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The gore effects in 8 Diagram are both more awesome and funnier, you can see the drips and thickened bits in the red paint they use for most of it. The hairpieces in 5DV are great in the funny way, but Gordy Liu shaving his head in 8 Diagram looks surprisingly good. Lily Li playing Kara Hui Ying Hung's mom when she's very obviously a 20 something in a silver wig kills me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Gorgeous movie. Definitely see it in theaters if you get the chance.

I just did! I think it was the new restoration too, I didn't ask but it looked fantastic. I saw 36th Chamber and Five Deadly Venoms, too. Great weekend.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Empress Brosephine posted:

I would kill to see come drink with me and five deadly venison in a theatre :(

They also played Legendary Weapons of China but I didn’t make it to that one

I should name change myself to five deadly venisons to support lowtax’s robot neck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

true.spoon posted:

I have been a fan of the subgenre of Hongkong witchery movies for a while now. If you enjoy Boxer's Omen and Bewitched I am pretty sure you'll also like Black Magic, Black Magic 2 and the classic Seeding of a Ghost. The movies are worth it for the massively creative black magic rituals alone. They are even available in pretty nice editions via 88-Films.

drat is there a US equivalent to these guys or am I getting a region free player

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FancyMike posted:

For anyone who cares about physical media at all a region free player is a must have. If you've got a pc blu-ray drive already, MakeMKV will happily rip discs from any region. And there is no US equivalent right now, if you care about older Hong Kong action films all the good poo poo is coming from the UK. Eureka has put out a ton of great stuff recently.

Just saw the upcoming releases on that 88-Films page and holy poo poo:

I don’t care about physical media per se but none of this is available in even decent quality digitally afaik so

Thanks for the knowledge, you’re a great resource for info on accessing these kinds of films and I appreciate it :biglips:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

muscles like this! posted:

Prime has a pretty good selection but it is a crapshoot as to whether it is in bad English or subtitled Chinese. Recommendations on that: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin, The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, Come Drink with Me and since you liked Five Element Ninjas you should definitely watch The Five Venoms.

Come drink with me is a particularly bad dub and a pretty lovely transfer too. Unfortunately it’s a real hassle to see it in any better format in the US. 88films has a newish blu that I’m assuming is the same one I saw in theatres summer last, and if so it’s beautiful

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

There's only ever one recommendation and it's Crippled Avengers

For a long time I’ve mulled over getting an av of either Bruce Campbell putting on his robot arm in army of darkness with the subtitle “also, it shoots darts!” Or Lu Feng putting on his in Crippled Avengers with the text “...Groovy.” But im very lazy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lumbermouth posted:

Arrow's putting out Eight Diagram Pole Fighter in the US in April.

I'm excited by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's an incredible lineup