Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm throwing my hat into the ring with some favorites I haven't seen mentioned here yet...
The Mr. Vampire movies (Lam Ching Ying owned them all) and Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind
Police story II
Shanghai/millionaire's express - featuring everyone in Sammo Hung's rolodex not named Jackie Chan

Do the Razor Hanzo movies belong in this thread as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Any description of Razor Hanzo is not complete without mentioning the awesome fuzz tone guitar soundtrack.... Really, it's like a cross between Dirty Harry and Sweet Sweet back set in feudal Japan.... And I guess I'll still discussing it now... Now who's got some Karen Mok movies for me to watch?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I've met Benny the Jet. He still runs kickboxing seminars. I recommend it as it's the closest you'll get to meeting Yoda.

I swear I saw him as a referee on that Jane the Virgin show when they had a fantasy wrestling episode

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Nice list, you need more Donnie Yen in the later flicks... Also, add some Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind for some classic Sammo action. Also, Enter the Fat Dragon is greatness.

Good Lord, it looks like Millionaire's Express isn't on your list either.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah, Flash Point, Iron Monkey, and the IP Man flicks are what I would suggest for Donnie Yen. Other shows I love but didn't see were Bodyguard from Beijing, My Father Is a Hero, Great Hero From China, and Kiss of the Dragon.
They're a little bit style over substance, but I really enjoyed Tai Chi Zero and Tai Chi Hero.

I think this is the place to ask, I half-remember a version of Wong Fei Hung (or possibly his dad) where his climactic fight involved him using an umbrella as his weapon. I believe he spent some earlier scenes betting on his lucky cricket and had a propensity for kicking people's feet out from under them so they fell on their faces. Can anyone identify that one?

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Nah, it wasn't from Iron Monkey, it was the final fight in the movie...

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

moller posted:

Once Upon a Time in China 2 has both an umbrella fight and a fight where WFH kicks people's feet out from under them, but not in the same scene.

Agreed, but this was not a Jet Li film

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Oddly enough, I just installed the Roku Channel at home and they're streaming the first Drunken Master on there... dubbed, ofc

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Man, that reminds me that I meant to post this in this thread as well

http://s.aliexpress.com/ZZRbEra2

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

You need the first two Police Stories and Project A

I have a soft spot for Miracles, Heart of Dragon, Who Am I, and Mr Nice Guy

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Ah yeah... Also the action scenes in Gorgeous are great

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Kung Fu Yoga is kinda hilarious Chinese propaganda and doesn't have much good Kung Fu action, but the bad guy does have Bollywood physics on his side and it's fun to watch

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I watched Vampire Cleanup Department over the last couple nights and it made me very nostalgic for some Lam Ching Ying jumping vampire flicks

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Wing Chun is great. You should watch Supercop right now. Then you should watch both Heroic Trio movies, because they're bananas. She's also in Taichi Master (or Twin Warriors). I have a soft spot for Yes Madam, and you're reminding me that I haven't watched enough of her early stuff.

This is where I mention that Cynthia Rothrock want great in her part of Millionaire's Express (Shanghai Express), the Kung Fu version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I feel like any movie with Yuen Biao is somehow underrated

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I would love a deep fakes project that replaced everyone's voice with Brian Blessed

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I remember watching Jane the Virgin and in one episode she has a pro wrestling fantasy smackdown, and Benny was the referee... No mention of him, no credit, just me losing it when I saw him in the background

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Martial Law was so weird. By the end of the first season, that show was great-they'd figured out a cast and a tone and had a fun cliffhanger ending, then the second season starts with no mention of the ending (Sammo falling from a helicopter) and a whole new (terrible) supporting cast...

I love Pedicab Driver, Close Encounters of the Spooky Kind, and Millionaire's Express is one of my favorite kung Fu movies of all time. Lately, he's also had a couple decent turns in My Beloved Bodyguard and Ip Man 2.b

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I'll always signal boost this flick, it is funny, insanely action-packed, and chock full of stars. Even Cynthia Rothrock gets to kick rear end!

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

OUATIC&A was a lot of fun, iirc... Compare and contrast with Shanghai Noon

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

How about Kibakichi, my favorite werewolf samurai movie

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I watched The Deadly Silver Ninja over 20 years ago, and I still remember its ridiculously abrupt ending.

The hero and his girlfriend finally kill all the ninjas and are surrounded by their dead bodies. They resume their fighting stance, he looks at her with an audible smirk. Cut to black.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I also love the musical cue when she does one kungfu move against Yuen Woo Ping

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Dirty Ho sadly is not as great as its name would lead you to believe

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

It's hard to to Millionaires Express because it is one of the greatest movies of all time

Edit: Nobody else likes Enter the Fat Dragon?

brocked fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 29, 2022

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

You might find it as just 'Spooky Encounters'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I remember being pretty impressed by his acting ability in Heart Of Dragon, it's kinda great that there's still an action showdown at the end of a melodrama about Jackie Chan having Sammo Hung as a mentally disabled brother