Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

I've actually seen him in a bunch of stuff, including his Johnnie To films, which were great. I guess I should have specified martial arts stars. In the way bad movie magazine writers put it, is there an inheritor to the Jackie Chan/Jet Li crown?

It takes several movies before you could even begin to make the comparison. Someone like Iko Uwais would need a few more Raid-level movies and would also need to show a bit more range or charm. Being a famous actor even without bringing martial arts into it requires a certain presence and charisma I'm not sure Uwais has. He's like Tony Jaa all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

Woah, woah, woah. Let's not say things we can't take back. Tony Jaa was a good athlete and terrible actor who went insane and hung out with Panthers in the middle of directing Ong Bak 2.

I'm not saying Uwais is Jaa in any way, shape, or form, just that Jaa is a cautionary tale against saying "Lookee here, we've got our new martial arts superstar!" after some early success.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also if you enjoyed the cartoon Ninja Turtles you'll get a kick out of any of the food truck scenes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anonymous Robot posted:

What's with all the footage of kittens in the final fight in Return of the Dragon?

Rome is famously inhabited by tons of feral cats, especially within some of the monuments and ruins. Maybe Lee was trying to use them as some kind of audience?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this? posted:

Is there some kind of rule that says kung fu movies have to end super abruptly? I was watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and had to rewind it because I thought the stream had hosed up.

I don't want it to happen in all films but when it does happen in a kung fu film it's great. There are real "actual" logistical reasons for doing it but to me it's the film going "there, the bad guy's beaten! What more do you want? Peace out."

It's a great contrast with films that need to let you know what happened with every character for the rest of their lives. Return of the King is a great unintentional parody of that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Heads up that Killzone 2 AKA SPL 2 is now on Canadian Netflix, which I have to assume means it's also on US Netflix (doesn't work the other way around though :( ).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What I love about these movies in HD is seeing exactly where the hairpieces are glued on.

Or when it comes to Eight Diagram, how fake their teeth are.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Staff weapons make for two of my favourite brutal moments in martial arts films.

"Ok cool, 8 Diagram Pole Fighter. It's a bamboo pole, this should be pretty PG I gue--"
:stare:

"Aright, Jackie Chan versus a billion Axe Gang dudes, nice. Heh, but it's Jackie so those axes aren't gonna do anything and that bamboo pole of his isn't--"
:stare:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

The oddest convention of kung fu movies to me, watching them growing up, was that after the final battle with the chief bad guy BOOM the movie's just over. There's typically no epilogue beyond a "Yay, we did it!" for a happy movie or "Oh poo poo now everybody's dead" for a sad one.

And since the credits were done at the beginning of the film the movie is really and truly over right then and there. Lights up, everybody leave. Kind of felt like there was supposed to be no pretense. Here's a bad guy, and now he's done. What more do you want?

Funny to think about the reverse of this. Someone who grew up used to the abrupt endings of kung fu movies and then watching other movies. The bad guy is defeated, the viewer gets up to leave but there's still more movie. Just a string of silent what-the-gently caress's over the next fifteen minutes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

I wish I could remember what film it was, but I once saw a martial arts film that ended with the main villain being split in half with a sword, and his halves had barely started falling before the freeze frame to credits happened. The hero still hadn't landed from his flip attack.

Basically ending on a comic book splash page.

Speaking of comic books, it'd be even better for my imagined person to go see a Marvel movie. "Ok ok, I've finally learned that movies don't usually end as soon as the bad guy is defeated. Anyway, the credits are rolling so we're leaving now I take it?"

*whisper whisper*

"Wait until the end of the credits? Nah gently caress that, I'll see y'all in the parking lot."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edit: ^^Yeah, for as incredible as it is I always only ever saw it given the bargain DVD treatment. Even the first time I saw it, when I rented it on VHS back in the day, the quality was terrible. The image was cropped so poorly we couldn't make out most of the subtitles. Never knew the full story until years later (though it's not any kind of difficult plot to suss out).

What's the word on Wolf Warrior? Added it to my Netflix list but haven't seen it yet.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 9, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Whenever I see these kinds of posts with the list of classic movies I usually just skim over because I assume it's some re-release for Blu-Ray. But these are going in the theatre?! Holy hot drat.

Eight Diagram Pole Fighter on the big screen, restored. Yes please.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Enter the Dragon is going to be remade by David Leitch

I originally saw this on Birth.Movies.Death (AKA the old Badass Digest) but the article starts off by saying Enter the Dragon isn't a great movie so gently caress them. I picked the Variety link instead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jimbot posted:

Some of the older films I wish they'd go back and give it a good proper score. It's so out of place to hear music from Star Wars in Snake in Eagle's Shadow.

I'm half expecting Luke to show up and make that one in a million shot!

It was a one in a million shot but it took him a hundred takes to do and during the credits we get to see some of the failed bombing runs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SnakesandScorpions posted:

I think my favorite Jackie Chan film besides Drunken Master II is Rumble in the Bronx. I grew up with that film and I would remember constantly watching it as a kid when I went over to my grandparent's house. My grandfather loved Kung Fu films and had all of Bruce Lee's stuff as well as some other things for beta. If they ever release a Box Set of Jackie Chan stuff or just a digital channel with nothing but Jackie Chan stuff I would buy that in a heart beat.

Rumble will always hold a special place in my heart because it was my gateway Chan film.

And I'll always remember being confused about it because there was English being spoken but not always and the guys I expected to be speaking English -- white people -- were not while some of the Asian people were. Admittedly a prejudiced thing to think but I was young. Also, it was supposed to be the Bronx but it clearly wasn't so initially I thought the movie's setting was reworked to make it more marketable for North America.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Also marks the second (and sadly last) appearance of Benny 'The Jet'.

In Jackie Chan films, yeah. He's also one of the highlights of Grosse Pointe Blank.

He's also one of the muggers according MJ before the famous upside-down kiss in Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

As amazing as so much of the martial arts in the Police Story series (I mean this is Jackie Chan here) is it is kind of his stunt-heavy series, yeah.

I do think getting the deaf guy back by hitting him with his own weapons was more satisfying than beating the poo poo out of him the whole time, though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not gonna say I wouldn't want more amazing martial arts but I have always liked the last big fight in the warehouse for the cat and mouse nature of it. Even just that one part where he does the monkey bar climb up the underside of the staircase blew me away and has stuck with me for twenty years. I can't even think of a single move from PS3, only vague memories of particular stunts on top of the train. (PS4 is obviously insanely memorable).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gaunab posted:

I watched the 36 Chambers trilogy a while back. The second one is my favorite but I really love the training in the first one.

One of the best sequel reversals, up there with Terminator 2. And that scaffolding-fu, just so inventive and awesome to watch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheels on Meals is a fantastic kung fu film if only because the piazza scene shares so much in common with the Ninja Turtles, which weren't a thing yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ConfusedUs posted:

My girlfriend and I both love Kung Fu movies. We just discovered this about each other about a month ago, so now we’re doing a kung fu movie night once a week.

We love both the high budget, well choreographed kind and the cheesy as gently caress old ones. Last week was Five Elements Ninjas, which I picked based on this thread. It was so amazingly bad it instantly became our new favorite.

Next week is my next choice (she has this week).

Hit me with some recommendations, preferably streaming on Prime, Netflix, or HBO.

It sounds like you might have already seen it but 36th Chamber of Shaolin is a must for any fan of the genre. Looks like it's on Netflix. The sequel is also great and there's an early twist with how it works as a sequel.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not just Shaw Brothers. Ending abruptly was common for martial arts films in general. At first it was weird to me but I love it. It'd be awesome if a movie had the guts to do that nowadays.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Eight Diagram Teeth Fucker is a must watch for any martial arts film fan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When you finally see it, you'll know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The version I first saw also looked like a bad tape recording. I know there was an HD print that came out several years ago but I wonder if before then the crappy VHS quality was what most copies were? I feel like this was talked about in this thread at some point.