Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Purchase literbike
'Douche' lever gets switched in brain
You are now squid-man

[wall-o-text-disclaimer]I was gonna reply to this in the chatting thread, but this is an echo-chamber reply.[/wall-o-text-disclaimer]
Yeah. I feel you here. I've got a bandit 1200. It's a beater. I ride it everywhere. It looks like rear end. It's got carb issues. It has rust issues. It has a loud exhaust, because doing it quieter would be more expensive, and I can't afford it.

But it goes 180mph, and 0-130 in like 8 seconds. Loudly. I can show that to anybody, at any time. If you think your Dodge Magnum can outrun me at the next light, you're wrong. Next bridge? wrong. You will run out of balls, horsepower, and rev before I do. I know that. I also know that I'm getting 50mpg while doing all this.

So I try not to be a douche. I try not to rise to bait. I try not to launch every light. But the thing is loud, and has a crappy carb, and tall gears. It backfires on decel. It runs like rear end until it's warmed up. This means I have to keep it idling at 2k until it doesn't want to die. It means I have to feather the clutch to stay at 15mph. I'm not revving through your school zone because I'm an rear end in a top hat. I made a terrible decision not to buy a tanmry and it is drat-near mechanically impossible to go 15mph on this motorcycle when it's less than 85 degrees out and the bike's been ridden for 20 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My B6 is not quite as fast and nowhere near as finicky, but it's probably every bit as loud. It's magnificent on the rare occasions that I get to rev it out completely, the wail of a 4-cylinder on full tilt is addicting, but the only place I can really do it without endangering my driving license is an onramp, and I hate motorway riding. Or a track, I guess, but a Bandit is very much not a good track bike without a lot of work.

It hurts to sell it, being my first motorcycle and all, but the XT I bought to replace it is just more usable more of the time. It also made me realize how stupidly stiff the clutch is on my Bandit, how agricultural the gearbox is, how weak the brakes are, how heavy the bike is and how much Suzuki skimped on the suspension. But the engine is a peach and there's always that :shobon:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Dear lady driving the gently caress-off Dodge Ram 4x4 BIG HORN Edition,

I realize you're afraid that taking any curve at more than 3mph is going to cause your axels to snap and send a wheel careening off into outer space since the world is based on Gamebryo physics, but for christ's sake stop ruining the THREE GODDAMN FUN CORNERS on the entire way home today.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Digital_Jesus posted:

I realize you're afraid that taking any curve at more than 3mph is going to cause your axels to snap and send a wheel careening off into outer space since the world is based on Gamebryo physics, but for christ's sake stop ruining the THREE GODDAMN FUN CORNERS on the entire way home today.

God yes. Been riding the Daytona instead of the Tiger for the past week and every cager in town has been screwing up the fun for me. It's normal for car drivers to do this but gently caress that I can be irrational itt.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

VOR LOC posted:

God yes. Been riding the Daytona instead of the Tiger for the past week and every cager in town has been screwing up the fun for me. It's normal for car drivers to do this but gently caress that I can be irrational itt.

I normally only pass in designated passing zones but when it's like this and really bad it puts me over the double yellows if there is a suitable straight. I had to do this in PA this weekend. Route 6 up near Milford there is a rather decent cruising road with a 55 (sometimes 45) limit and you have people chugging along at 40 and STILL braking.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How else are you supposed to get a good look at their No Fear and Calvin peeing on [disliked car brand] stickers?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mister Duck posted:

I normally only pass in designated passing zones but when it's like this and really bad it puts me over the double yellows if there is a suitable straight. I had to do this in PA this weekend. Route 6 up near Milford there is a rather decent cruising road with a 55 (sometimes 45) limit and you have people chugging along at 40 and STILL braking.

I live off of a road with a few decent corners, is a 45 zone but has no passing zones for ~10 miles. At least once a week I come up on someone doing under 35mph and all over the road. If they are at least staying in their lane I'll pass them on one of the safe straights. If they are all over the place I pull over and call them in for drunk driving.

I kind of feel bad, I've called in my neighbor twice for doing 25 and swerving all over the place. She wasn't drunk just really old.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just pass them at the first safe opportunity and go about your day. It's just paint on a road, if you can make a safe pass, do it. I don't get to run my favorite roads every day so when I do get out you can be sure I'm not sitting behind a car 1 second longer than I need to. It's more challenging to find somewhere past on the 250 but still doable with some planning.

Crossing the DY isn't some death sentence. Won't be the first law I break that ride and won't be the last.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nsaP posted:

Just pass them at the first safe opportunity and go about your day. It's just paint on a road, if you can make a safe pass, do it. I don't get to run my favorite roads every day so when I do get out you can be sure I'm not sitting behind a car 1 second longer than I need to. It's more challenging to find somewhere past on the 250 but still doable with some planning.

Crossing the DY isn't some death sentence. Won't be the first law I break that ride and won't be the last.

Didn't Kozmo almost lose his license for that?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Well, there was some slight problem with the speed as well.

And besides, from what I recall you have an insane amount of double yellow over there compared to here. Well, apart from our lines not being yellow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Crossing double-yellow lines in an overtake is genuinely frowned on in the UK too. Well unless you're really going for it in one of those dumb shared-space zones.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

And besides, from what I recall you have an insane amount of double yellow over there compared to here. Well, apart from our lines not being yellow.

We do. Also our motorists will try to kill you for having the gall to break a law in a way that means you might get somewhere on time. Doesn't stop me but adds a little flavor to the commute.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

We do. Also our motorists will try to kill you for having the gall to break a law in a way that means you might get somewhere on time. Doesn't stop me but adds a little flavor to the commute.

Or perform any action that in any way means you will BEAT THEM if they cannot reciprocate.

Pass four cars and that slow-rear end garbage truck on the DY because it happened to stop RIGHT as I showed up and I wasn't four inches off its rear end this whole time so I've actually GOT some visibility? I'm worse than Satan.
Pull up at the far-right lane that ends just past the intersection, beat EVERYTHING off the line and merge in, thereby cutting off a line of forty cars stuck in the other two lanes? It would be more acceptable to be strangling kittens, right there in the road.
Realize this is my turn while sitting at a light and just turn sideways and walk across four lanes of traffic to hit the turn lane and then turn? I would be welcomed had I only been pissing directly in their windows.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Minor rant. Took the factory warning stickers off my bike today. Three of them came off fine, but the fourth the adhesive was practically bonded to the goddamn fairing and took a chip out of the paint. $20 for the matching pen. Argghhhhh.

Oh well it'll be here in a few days. goddamnit.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Digital_Jesus posted:

Minor rant. Took the factory warning stickers off my bike today. Three of them came off fine, but the fourth the adhesive was practically bonded to the goddamn fairing and took a chip out of the paint. $20 for the matching pen. Argghhhhh.

Warning stickers you take off on day one, or not at all. That adhesive is meant to last.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I've got a collection of warning stickers stating: Ahctung! From my KTM collection adorning my tool bench :smuggo:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Technically I did actually lose my license, but it was only conditional. I had to take a new license test, both written and practical. Which I aced, of course :smug:

But yeah, it was a combination of having 1 point on my license already and scoring 2 points at once by going over the double lines and doing 120km/h in an 80km/h zone. If I had been over the double lines for another 10-15 meters or so, or if I'd done 128km/h instead, either one of those would have given me a conditional loss of license by itself. In combination with the points, I would have lost my license completely for at least 6 months. It was pure dumb luck that I managed to avoid that. It was even more pure dumb luck that he didn't catch me doing 160km/h on that road, which I'd done the week before. I swear I'm never doing that again.

And my license is only probational right now, if I rack up three points etc. again within a 3-year period, *boom* there goes my license for a full year. I'm a very careful rider/driver now ;)

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Pull up at the far-right lane that ends just past the intersection, beat EVERYTHING off the line and merge in, thereby cutting off a line of forty cars stuck in the other two lanes? It would be more acceptable to be strangling kittens, right there in the road.

Oh yes, I've gotten some downright murderous stares from doing that*. Fair's far though, as long as you're not doing it from a turning lane, I fail to see the problem.

The most fun thing is when people in tiny econoboxes seriously try to race me. It's one thing in my car, it's a family car often driven by people who don't know how to hustle, so fair's fair, it's not like it's immediately obvious that I'm in the sportier version. But they do it even more when I'm on my bike, I have no idea what they're trying to achieve.

*The right lane thing, not the strangling kittens thing, obviously.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 10, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Could be other fans just trying to hear you rev it out.

I'd rev at a 350z when I was in a conversion van cause I wanted to hear it sprint off.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 10, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Safety Dance posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7DDTd_ZZIk

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

nsaP posted:

Could be other fans just trying to hear you rev it out.

I'd rev at a 350z when I was in a conversion van cause I wanted to hear it sprint off.

No, they actually floor it when the light turns green, instead of just revving at me.

I have to go all the way to quarter throttle to beat them :smug:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Parking up at Kroger and a store worker comes over to talk bikes, which would be great if the first words out of his mouth weren't "Have you crashed it yet?"

:raise: It's two weeks fresh off the dealership floor and is spotless, take a guess. I'm neither male nor wearing shorts with sandals to ride though so I am clearly an inferior rider.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sock Weasel posted:

Parking up at Kroger and a store worker comes over to talk bikes, which would be great if the first words out of his mouth weren't "Have you crashed it yet?"

:raise: It's two weeks fresh off the dealership floor and is spotless, take a guess. I'm neither male nor wearing shorts with sandals to ride though so I am clearly an inferior rider.

There are people out there who actually believe that a regular part of riding is crashing semi regularly, like, its just a thing that happens as a consequence of riding.

These are generally the same people who think bikes will just tip over at speed if the rider isn't actively fighting against gravity to keep it up.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Digital_Jesus posted:

When I'm out to have fun, I'll pull off at a turnout if there's traffic ahead and wait for the next car to come up behind me, then get back going in front of them with a big gap in front of me. Sometimes I never catch up to the slow guy and assume they turned off.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Digital_Jesus posted:

It helps to put heat on the sticker. Borrow the girlfriend/wife's hairdryer if you don't have a heatgun and blast it long enough to get it pretty warm. The adhesive will soften up and the sticker should peel off in one solid piece most of the time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

No, they actually floor it when the light turns green, instead of just revving at me.

I have to go all the way to quarter throttle to beat them :smug:

The faster-looking the bike the crappier the car that tries to race you, in my experience. Like in 4 years on the Shiver pretty much the only things that try to race me are other bikes (especially Speed Triples for some reason).

On the Mille it seemed to be an everyday thing, to the point where I perfected a nonchalant near-closed-throttle pull-away that made car drivers think that they might be able to keep up, before just cracking the throttle and loving off.

We won't even talk about the kind of people who try to race you when you've got an L-plated RS125...

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are people out there who actually believe that a regular part of riding is crashing semi regularly, like, its just a thing that happens as a consequence of riding.

These are generally the same people who think bikes will just tip over at speed if the rider isn't actively fighting against gravity to keep it up.

Or supermoto riders.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The faster-looking the bike the crappier the car that tries to race you, in my experience. Like in 4 years on the Shiver pretty much the only things that try to race me are other bikes (especially Speed Triples for some reason).

It's an XT660X, not exactly a fast-looking bike. Neither is the B6, for that matter.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The faster-looking the bike the crappier the car that tries to race you, in my experience.
Guy in a Ford Fusion dragged me at a light just to beat me to the lane merge a hundred or so metres ahead. Or tried at least: he gunned it and chirped the tires while I proceeded normally laughing my rear end off.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Retarded Pimp posted:

Or supermoto riders.

I was about to say...I crash regularly!

Then again it's always because I'm doing something retarded on the drz, my s3r is spotless.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I just let cars have the advantage if they want. Joke's on them if they want to drive in front of a fuckoff loud Ulysses. Plus it makes a terrible drag bike; it would rather put the wheel in the air than launch aggressively, and one of these days a cop is bound see it happen. I've gone four months without a ticket, and I intend to keep this going.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I don't get a lot of people trying to race me on the KTM. I did get a guy in what turned out to be a Brabus Mercedes B class troll me into racing him one night when he put his foot down while I was overtaking him. He still lost.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

People used to try to race me constantly when I had my GSXR. This was also in 04 at the height of the ricer/street racer craze in the US. The only one who got close was a Viper ACR, but it still didnt happen for him. I gave up even getting into the powerband for most other cars. Wasnt worth the gas/risk/ticket.

People dont try to race the DRZ, they mostly stare or ask questions.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Oh my loving God! How long does it take to decide if you're going to replace a loving zip or not!

TCX have had my boots for nearly two weeks now trying to decide if they're going to replace the zip on one of my boots.

I've not been off the bike for this long since I binned it last year and had to wait for a new radiator :(

Wankers!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I was on my favorite on-ramp leaving work a few years back on the StreetFighter enjoying the 1098 engine, and when I got to the merge point where the two onramps flow into 1 for the freeway merge a Scuderia Ferarri, also in Red was hammering it and we both saw each other and kept it pinned for the gap. I won, barely, but we had a 'nice red Italian machine' gay-bro moment.

Literally every other time it has been someone in a Nissan 350Z revving the poo poo out of it trying to get me to do pulls on the freeway. Sorry Kid. "I choose not to race!"

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Regardless of what I'm on, there's always people trying to beat me away from lights, and I just love hearing some guy flooring it in his Honda Odyssey to get ahead of me and turn into Walmart.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spiffness posted:

"I choose not to race!"

"The only way to win is not to play"

Applies to any sort driving on public roads, really.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Deeters posted:

some guy flooring it in his Honda Odyssey to get ahead of me and turn into Walmart.

This loving poo poo

Maybe 20% of the time they're trying to beat a merge because they really want to hustle. The other 80% they're just fiddle-farting around, often knowing they're going 100 yards down the road and then parking it cock-eyed in the lane with their blinker turned on only after they stopped, waiting 10 minutes for opposing traffic to give them a window you could drive the goddamned Graf Spee through. Good thing you jumped in front, buddy!

Oh, who am I kidding, that blinker's probably burned out.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Digital_Jesus posted:

Windex and a razor blade. Soak it in windex first and use the razor blade to gently scrape off the sticker. It should just lift right up after it's good and soaked.

My condo complex had a couple of nazis on the board who loved stickering vehicles that violated the parking rules. One of my neighbors showed me the above trick.

Snowdens Secret posted:

This loving poo poo

...waiting 10 minutes for opposing traffic to give them a window you could drive the goddamned Graf Spee through.

I laughed out loud at that one. Yes, those people are so loving annoying.

In trying to be more patient as I age, I sometimes console myself that some horrible driver is quite elderly and I tell myself, "be patient, because you'll be there someday buddy."

Then, when it's safe and polite to pass, I see it's somebody in their early 20s, face absorbed in the contents of their smart phone. See what patience does?

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 11, 2013

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I feel for everyone living the in the Washington, DC area today with that Two Million Biker event.

"Organizers didn’t receive a permit to have traffic blocked, so they’re riding through streets all day."

Makes me want to rant, and I don't even live there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'm guessing... 3 deaths, 7 serious injuries. 4 arrested.