Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Z3n posted:

You know what's tedious?

Your walls of have-to-get-the-last-loving-word-in text are up there with watching paint dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love everyone's posts :huh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Motorcyclists are terrible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm pretty awesome, theory destroyed

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm pretty awesome, theory destroyed

Exception that proves the rule boom

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:fromdowntown:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
I'm #90 but #1 in your hearts, right guys. This conversation reminded me that this poo poo never happens to me. I've been riding for over 14+ years and I've never had anyone try to purposefully run me off the road, well maybe I have and just don't remember but it seems to be a daily occurrence with some riders. I've never crashed cause of gravel in a corner, or oil or diesel (which I know is euro problem). I'm not accosted by stories of uncle's neighbor's brother dying at 200mph when people find out I ride a motorcycle. I mean I've heard those stories but not enough that they're any sort of problem. People don't merge into me all day long, I don't know I'm sort of statistical mutant.

*edit, just remembered I crashed n8r's bike cause of gravel, but that was a gravel road not a few rocks in the road.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

When I moved to TX I retook Harley's Rider's Edge MSF program, partly just for a refresher but mostly to skip the DMV's driving test. There was a guy there who apparently had just bought a new Harley a week before the class, and had been riding it all over town unlicensed all week. At every opportunity, he had to go on about idiot drivers who never see motorcyclists and were always merging onto him and running him off the road and whatnot. It sounded like it was a daily occurrence for him on his new hog. Meanwhile, I've ridden several tens of thousands of miles over the past 10 years and only remember being merged onto one time, at an insanely complicated highway merge juncture during rush hour. I'm not trying to be :smuggo: about it, but I just wonder what the balance of blame really is with some riders.

(Now watch me get merged onto off a bridge during tomorrow's commute. :ohdear:)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

The reason I said that is because you said this:

If you're "A good distance from them and going a reasonable speed" how are you anywhere near their blind spot or having to take evasive maneuvers to avoid accidents?

What I mean is that I'm trying to maintain a good distance from the car in front of me, not the car I'm going to end up in the blind spot of when passing/being passed. I never considering myself safe from other vehicles unless there isn't anyone anywhere near me.
As much as we here on CA act like we're the bee's knees when it comes to riding protection and safety, the fact of the matter is that there's a lot of poo poo going on when you're flying down a freeway at 60+ mph with other vehicles travelling at varying speeds and changing lanes, a large amount of which aren't paying attention to what's going on with their vehicle, let alone around them.
BEEP BOOP logic is great in hindsight.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HNasty posted:

I'm #90 but #1 in your hearts, right guys. This conversation reminded me that this poo poo never happens to me. I've been riding for over 14+ years and I've never had anyone try to purposefully run me off the road, well maybe I have and just don't remember but it seems to be a daily occurrence with some riders. I've never crashed cause of gravel in a corner, or oil or diesel (which I know is euro problem). I'm not accosted by stories of uncle's neighbor's brother dying at 200mph when people find out I ride a motorcycle. I mean I've heard those stories but not enough that they're any sort of problem. People don't merge into me all day long, I don't know I'm sort of statistical mutant.

*edit, just remembered I crashed n8r's bike cause of gravel, but that was a gravel road not a few rocks in the road.
Yeah same. I figured it was because I live in a nice place with no people around so nothing happens here. Someone did kinda merge into me once in Utah, but I hit the brakes and tooted my horn and was never in any real danger. I have however met a number of people who've stated they had to lay it down, for carefully weighed safety reasons, calculated in their head over the course of 200 milliseconds in a panic stop.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don't get merged into much, but I get people pulling out in front of me from cross roads all the time. It's how I learned to pull high speed endos on the drz.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason people just can't see my bright yellow supermoto from a 90 degree angle

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

What I mean is that I'm trying to maintain a good distance from the car in front of me, not the car I'm going to end up in the blind spot of when passing/being passed. I never considering myself safe from other vehicles unless there isn't anyone anywhere near me.
As much as we here on CA act like we're the bee's knees when it comes to riding protection and safety, the fact of the matter is that there's a lot of poo poo going on when you're flying down a freeway at 60+ mph with other vehicles travelling at varying speeds and changing lanes, a large amount of which aren't paying attention to what's going on with their vehicle, let alone around them.
BEEP BOOP logic is great in hindsight.

The whole point of bringing up this "beep boop" logic is so that you can apply it in the future. The fact that there's a lot going on is exactly why you should be thinking about it during times you're not actually riding the bike. And it's why you have people merging into you all the time, and yet there's a bunch of other riders here saying it happens to them very rarely. You're not unlucky, you're just not planning or paying enough attention yourself. And that's why I started this "tedious" conversation in the first place, so hopefully you'd wake up and realize what the gently caress is going on here.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah same. I figured it was because I live in a nice place with no people around so nothing happens here. Someone did kinda merge into me once in Utah, but I hit the brakes and tooted my horn and was never in any real danger. I have however met a number of people who've stated they had to lay it down, for carefully weighed safety reasons, calculated in their head over the course of 200 milliseconds in a panic stop.

Right behind the layer dan story is the, I hit gravel bru excuse for crashing. I swear this magical gravel that takes people out must account for 50% of crash stories I've heard.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

Right behind the layer dan story is the, I hit gravel bru excuse for crashing. I swear this magical gravel that takes people out must account for 50% of crash stories I've heard.

It's super easy to crash on gravel, all you have to do is see it, freak out, grab a handful of brake, and it doesn't matter if you were on gravel or not!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

The whole point of bringing up this "beep boop" logic is so that you can apply it in the future. The fact that there's a lot going on is exactly why you should be thinking about it during times you're not actually riding the bike. And it's why you have people merging into you all the time, and yet there's a bunch of other riders here saying it happens to them very rarely. You're not unlucky, you're just not planning or paying enough attention yourself. And that's why I started this "tedious" conversation in the first place, so hopefully you'd wake up and realize what the gently caress is going on here.

You're acting like I'm riding around sitting in blind spots. I've had a rash of people almost merge into me this week while I was passing them or they were passing me, and wanted to rant about it in the padded room. If I wanted a lecture, I've had gone to a different thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'll be sure to let it pass when you rant about it again then. :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

It's super easy to crash on gravel, all you have to do is see it, freak out, grab a handful of brake, and it doesn't matter if you were on gravel or not!

Or not see it, because it's night and there's no lights in the parking lot, and it looks like the asphalt it's sitting on top of under your headlight. :v:
Though that was less a crash and more a fall over.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Or turn the bars and crack the throttle full open from at a dead stop on a 65 HP supermoto, right buddy?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Or turn the bars and crack the throttle full open from at a dead stop on a 65 HP supermoto, right buddy?

Please dont post my patented parallel parking secrets

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please dont post my patented parallel parking secrets

Yeah let's go with I was trying to parallel park. I like that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Parallel with the curvature of the earth

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Parallel with the curvature of the earth

Just trying to figure out how much traction is REALLY available.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Cyclists not knowing how to filter. Motherfucker you're smaller than me, how can you be stupid enough to do two lanes worth of weaving, and where do you get off looking at me like I'm the dick for telling you to pick a loving lane? Also if one more starts filtering up the inside I'm just gonna start doling out happyslaps for youtube.*

*This does not apply to your average fella on a bike in jeans, jacket, and cheap and cheerful grey helmet, but the messenger boy and full-body-condom Armstrong wannabes on their way to their cubicles.

Z3n posted:

I'll be sure to let it pass when you rant about it again then. :v:

Your desperation to get the last word in every time, like a 16 year-old on a work night out, is pathetic.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wootcannon posted:

Your desperation to get the last word in every time, like a 16 year-old on a work night out, is pathetic.

Everyone else seems to take my posting so much more seriously than I do. :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I take all posting seriously all the time, I'm what makes CA great!

:smithicide:

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Z3n posted:

Everyone else seems to take my posting so much more seriously than I do. :iiam:

Pulling the ":smug: well I never cared in the first place" routine in an argument because people are calling you on your bullshit is real dumb.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He's right though about people taking his posting (whether quantity or quality) very seriously here for some reason and as annoyed as people get with it, its just as annoying to hear(see, I guess) them complain about it.

C.A. isnt the fastest moving forum out there, I never understood the complaint of "you post too much" in a forum that sees only a handful of posts every day.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m34GUn0QqA

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

He's right though about people taking his posting (whether quantity or quality) very seriously here for some reason and as annoyed as people get with it, its just as annoying to hear(see, I guess) them complain about it.

C.A. isnt the fastest moving forum out there, I never understood the complaint of "you post too much" in a forum that sees only a handful of posts every day.

Well you see, all the posts I make also mean that no one else can post anything because there are only so many posts the internet can handle before all the tubes get full.

Clevermuldoon posted:

Pulling the ":smug: well I never cared in the first place" routine in an argument because people are calling you on your bullshit is real dumb.

:allears:

Is it the part about "being aware of the other drivers and minimizing not just time in blind spots but also when you choose to enter those blind spots"? Or the bit about "experienced riders seem to get merged into less because they make better decisions based on their beep boop riding logic"? You're the only hope for an end to the bullshit of cycle asylum, true internet patriot! Do your duty!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm absolutely insufferable as a human being in real life so I can't afford to lose the neutral-distant friendship that exists in my mind I call the Internet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

I've mentioned this as well - riding for years, no real close calls with traffic or dopey crashes to speak of. The response here: "Do you putt around on side streets or something? No close calls in 6 years? That's drat near impossible, especially if you do any sort of track or canyon riding." Actually, I pay attention. I see cars do dumb stuff - a lot - but I don't put myself in the path of stupid.

I'd like to contribute to this thread by offering my sentiments on chip seal as well: GARBAGE. At least they put up signs in my area, but I still have some tar-embedded gravel stuck to my engine case and rear wheel from about 50 miles of the stuff between Cut Bank and Browning Montana. Seems like they try to put the stuff on the best roads, precisely when I want to have a good ride.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I drove by a road once that, as I passed it, looked like it could have potential. I looked it up later on Google Maps and from the aerial view, it looked like a pretty nice road to ride on, blacktop with good turns and it even happened to be a shortcut on a route I take sometimes. When I finally went that way again with the intention of riding it, I immediately discovered that the whole thing was shoddy chip seal. After 3 or 4 harrowing turns, I just gave up and turned back and left.

Edit: If I wanted to turn that into a rant, it would morph into some Abe Simpson :arghfist: about the conditions of the roads here in San Antonio. It seems like every potentially decent road is rotted and falling apart, with random potholes, tar snakes, uneven patches, etc. in the middle of turns and everywhere else. I took a trip to Oregon recently and it was like a revelation how well maintained and smooth most of the asphalt was.

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 7, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

clutchpuck posted:

I'd like to contribute to this thread by offering my sentiments on chip seal as well: GARBAGE. At least they put up signs in my area, but I still have some tar-embedded gravel stuck to my engine case and rear wheel from about 50 miles of the stuff between Cut Bank and Browning Montana. Seems like they try to put the stuff on the best roads, precisely when I want to have a good ride.

Think it was last fall I went to spend a day in the mountains and hit the Cherohala skyway towards the end of the day. North Carolina side was great with no traffic, nice clean road and perfect weather. Crossed the border into Tennessee and it was covered in crappy chip seal. Wasn't too bad so I kept going at a more leisurely pace until I get to one of my favorite corners the downhill, decreasing radius corner. First quarter was good then it turned to deep chip seal which just makes the bike skate around...felt like my tires were completely flat. Should have done a sighting run first I guess but I managed to not crash and ride the rest of the route.

Chip Seal :argh:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

I've mentioned this as well - riding for years, no real close calls with traffic or dopey crashes to speak of. The response here: "Do you putt around on side streets or something? No close calls in 6 years? That's drat near impossible, especially if you do any sort of track or canyon riding." Actually, I pay attention. I see cars do dumb stuff - a lot - but I don't put myself in the path of stupid.

Yeah I'm not particularly safe rider, I've had plenty of crashes and accidents. I even hit a car head on doing about 60, it's just that I haven't had the same problems that most bikers do. At worst car drivers are stupid, once you accept that it's really hard to get mad at them for being stupid. When I do have a close call it's usually when I'm doing over the speed limit or something else equally stupid, hard to get mad at the other guy for that. I'm not saying there are no shitbird car drivers out there, I'm just saying lots of bikers just love to complain and play the victim.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I get around one or two old farts that do left turns right in front of me every season, but that's about it. It's rare enough that I never remember where the horn is when it does.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I get around one or two old farts that do left turns right in front of me every season, but that's about it. It's rare enough that I never remember where the horn is when it does.

Heh. A couple days ago, some people failed to maintain their lane, and as they came over the line, I was furiously cancelling my turn signals at them until I remembered the OTHER button down there. I've also hit the starter before.

Funny thing about that is after I made my turn a block later, I hit the horn trying to cancel my turn signals and some people in a parking lot gave me a confused look.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Heh. A couple days ago, some people failed to maintain their lane, and as they came over the line, I was furiously cancelling my turn signals at them until I remembered the OTHER button down there. I've also hit the starter before.

Funny thing about that is after I made my turn a block later, I hit the horn trying to cancel my turn signals and some people in a parking lot gave me a confused look.

I hate it when I do that as I pass someone. OK, gonna pass him.. Signal on to change laneMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

On the few occasions that I've wanted to hit the horn I've poked around with my thumb, gotten frustrated and actually looked down to see where the hell the stupid button is. Unfortunately after 30 years of sitting right on top of the engine my horns make a barely audible beep and more vibrate the bike a little.
I'd get new ones but I poke at them twice a year at most so whatever.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've always found Z3n's posting worthwhile. Riding doesn't really afford excuses. The same way that I pretend I'm invisible to every car on the road, I pretend that accidents/near misses are always my fault, and I learn to take appropriate action for the future to prevent/minimize risk, or else I probably won't end up alive to do anything about it next time. That counts for if I take a turn too fast and I'm stiff-arming the handles or if an rear end in a top hat in a car is actively trying to push me off the road because he's drunk at 2 am.

I can get pissed at people for doing poo poo that's unsafe around me, or whatever, but even if something's not at all my fault, it effects me in the largest of ways.

I'd rather have people constantly forcing me to think critically by saying "what else could you have done to prevent that," than people just accepting that something happened and moving on. Sometimes I do want to rant about other people and lovely things, but it's always because I'm scared of what might've happened. The only way to be less scared is to think through and prevent similar (or wildly different) circumstances from occurring in the future.

So Z3n may get repetitive, but I've only seen him do it (note: I have not seen every post he's made) in the name of safety.

also: gently caress people who edge their car up to the side of the lane on purpose to keep me from lane splitting.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

As someone who hasn't started riding yet, but will hopefully have their bike in the next three months, would it be possible to throw a much louder horn on the bike? I was thinking it would be pretty sick if I could get a semi's horn on somehow...

Drifter posted:

I've always found Z3n's posting worthwhile. Riding doesn't really afford excuses. The same way that I pretend I'm invisible to every car on the road, I pretend that accidents/near misses are always my fault, and I learn to take appropriate action for the future to prevent/minimize risk, or else I probably won't end up alive to do anything about it next time. That counts for if I take a turn too fast and I'm stiff-arming the handles or if an rear end in a top hat in a car is actively trying to push me off the road because he's drunk at 2 am.

I can get pissed at people for doing poo poo that's unsafe around me, or whatever, but even if something's not at all my fault, it effects me in the largest of ways.

I'd rather have people constantly forcing me to think critically by saying "what else could you have done to prevent that," than people just accepting that something happened and moving on. Sometimes I do want to rant about other people and lovely things, but it's always because I'm scared of what might've happened. The only way to be less scared is to think through and prevent similar (or wildly different) circumstances from occurring in the future.

So Z3n may get repetitive, but I've only seen him do it (note: I have not seen every post he's made) in the name of safety.

also: gently caress people who edge their car up to the side of the lane on purpose to keep me from lane splitting.

I've appreciated Z3n's posting as well. Obviously I know gently caress all about what I'm doing, but I find it very informative and believe I have learned a lot from his thoughts.