Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Aftermarket undertail exhaust is too goddamn expensive :argh: Why is it $500 for a slip-on on the low end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

Commuting is only worth a poo poo if you can lane split. Otherwise? Eff that.

I've split in Seattle, but only when traffic is really bad. I get better mileage on my bike than either car we own and have a guaranteed HOV spot. Plus I pay a lot less to get on the ferry and front of the line priority. That won't matter after Friday though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Spiffness posted:

poo poo whats this now? They changing ferry policies?

Nah I'm moving and won't be using the ferry.

E: I should've said "That won't matter to me after Friday."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Prius chat: I was riding to ocean shores this weekend and got stuck in a line of cars behind an RV just before entering some twisty bits. Wait, what's that? The RV is actually stuck behind a Prius. You'd think that when you have an RV an your rear end and almost a dozen cars behind it, you'd pull over or speed up, especially when there are "Delay of 5 cars illegal. Slower cars use turnouts," signs posted.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yesterday I got stopped by a motorcycle officer for riding down a closed road on my bicycle.

It was Saturday so there was no-one working on it (it's being resurfaced). I've been riding down it every morning this week on my way to work. The guys working on it are more than happy to let cyclists through, because they're not colossal assholes.

Police officers like this make me want to commit crimes.

I was in downtown Seattle headed for the ferry and being held up by a traffic cop; we were down to one lane due to construction. A cyclist rode past all the cars and into the coned off area, where they were actually working and had heavy equipment. The cop stops him and tells him to "get [his] rear end to the back of the line." I chuckled at that.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 12, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
They should play some speed metal during that process. Would make it so much more awesome.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hello fellow biker across this busy intersection. Allow me to take my attention from all the other vehicles, the traffic lights, and operation of my motorcycle to acknowledge your existence and give you a bro wave. No, I'm also not going to wave when you're going the opposite direction on the interstate.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I swerve around and do lazy s's in my lane. People back off. FAR off. Not sure why they're so afraid. I'm clearly in control.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How else are you supposed to get a good look at their No Fear and Calvin peeing on [disliked car brand] stickers?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm so sick of people almost merging into me. Check your loving blind spot people!

E: And it's not like I'm flying up on these people and passing them at the last second, either. I'm usually following a good distance from the car in front of me and going a reasonable speed. How hard is it to look to your right or left before turning?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

Stop hanging out in their blind spots. Blind spots are one of those places that should be like hot lava to motorcyclists.

I don't "hang out" in blind spots. I'm either passing someone or being passed. I also have keep in mind cars behind and in front of me.
It's impossible to avoid the blind spot. You have to be in it at some point. I've almost been merged into two times in the past week while passing on the freeway and once while being passed. Each time, I was in the blind spot when they started to merge.
It wasn't me just sitting in their blind, it was them not paying attention to what's going on around them. Had I not been watching them, I'd have been hit each time.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

The reason I said that is because you said this:

If you're "A good distance from them and going a reasonable speed" how are you anywhere near their blind spot or having to take evasive maneuvers to avoid accidents?

What I mean is that I'm trying to maintain a good distance from the car in front of me, not the car I'm going to end up in the blind spot of when passing/being passed. I never considering myself safe from other vehicles unless there isn't anyone anywhere near me.
As much as we here on CA act like we're the bee's knees when it comes to riding protection and safety, the fact of the matter is that there's a lot of poo poo going on when you're flying down a freeway at 60+ mph with other vehicles travelling at varying speeds and changing lanes, a large amount of which aren't paying attention to what's going on with their vehicle, let alone around them.
BEEP BOOP logic is great in hindsight.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

The whole point of bringing up this "beep boop" logic is so that you can apply it in the future. The fact that there's a lot going on is exactly why you should be thinking about it during times you're not actually riding the bike. And it's why you have people merging into you all the time, and yet there's a bunch of other riders here saying it happens to them very rarely. You're not unlucky, you're just not planning or paying enough attention yourself. And that's why I started this "tedious" conversation in the first place, so hopefully you'd wake up and realize what the gently caress is going on here.

You're acting like I'm riding around sitting in blind spots. I've had a rash of people almost merge into me this week while I was passing them or they were passing me, and wanted to rant about it in the padded room. If I wanted a lecture, I've had gone to a different thread.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I didn't realize mountain bikes needed pristine dirt for an enjoyable ride. Wish someone told me that when I was 10. Sounds like they might get a kick out of riding on the road. Plenty of that, and lots of it is smoother than dirt.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I named all my bikes :shobon:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

People who don't ride have zero understanding of how riding works and at best equate it to riding a heavy bicycle at highway speeds.

Much like people who don't fly helicopters tend to believe that they are incredibly unsafe and always about to fall out of the sky at the slightest provocation.

Helicopters defy the laws of everything and are an unnatural blight upon the world of aviation!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The lights on my car are all automatic. I can turn on all the lights manually if I want to, but why? The last car I had didn't have automatic lights, but I could leave them on all the time because they'd turn off automatically once the engine was off and the door opened. Not sure why nobody does that anymore.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I typed like that all the time when I was twelve and still pronounce it "Zee Three En".

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Slavvy posted:

Did you have a cellphone when you were twelve? Serious question because that's what I'm basing my halfbaked pseudoscience on.

I got my first cell when I was 18. I did use a lot of MSN Messenger, AIM, and Yahoo Messenger.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's a Ninja 600 in the motorcycle lot with a whole bunch of peripherals on it: tall windscreen; frame sliders; fork and swingarm spools; tank protector; tank grips; and some other stuff. Bike looks nice and clean, except the chain; it's rusted to poo poo, several kinks in it too.
At least spend the money for some chain lube and cleaner. Goddamn.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Friend on mine put the clip on backwards. Was hilarious watching that chain roll off the countershaft and just lay in the street. Luckily he had a spare.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I, uh, worked with engineers at some point.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HNasty posted:

Everyone got jokes, write something about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT75kh0W7Nw I know Bellstaff is prob hurting for bidness and selling waxed cotton to hipsters is super easy but, c'mon man. This is ridic.

It says "Belfast presents" and then left us hanging.
Why are they ruining some poor farmer's field?
How did they heat their hot chocolate?
They're super brave, going 10mph on the grass like that. I'd need to stick my foot down too.

I'm not very good at this.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It snowed and Auburn Way is a parking lot in places. Looks like I'm driving to work tomorrow. Ugh. Riding is so much better.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've done jazz hands at an angry driver who honked at me. Dude was confused as gently caress.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went out to my bike this morning to find one of the mirrors broken off. Next to my bike, taking up the compact spot and part of mine, was the giant, uselessly raised truck. I hate this place.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Coredump posted:

The "I hate people" types grind on my nerves. Go live out in the forest if you hate humanity so much you negative nancy.

Have you ever worked in the service industry?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If you work in the service industry long enough, you end up hating people in general.

E: And that's not to say that you walk around being a negative rear end in a top hat all the time. You get sick of people who think they're a special snowflake that deserves everything they want at the moment they want it without giving any consideration to anyone else.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 9, 2014

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
How do you even get it out in the rain when the bike melts upon contact with water?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

clutchpuck posted:

Heated gear is wicked rad.

This. I used to stick with heated grips, but they only did so much and took a bit to warm up. Heated gloves are instant and amazing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've seen two liter soda bottles used to the same effect. A true case of function over form.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Everything has a risk to it. Don't ride like a dumbass. Don't ride after drinking. Wear more protective gear. Don't let your kids play football.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

nsaP posted:

Home Depot is a long shot but if you hit up an actual locksmith they probably have something that will work.

I've tried Home Depot and Lowes before, neither do motorcycle keys. Every locksmith I've been to has had blanks for motorcycles.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It definitely depends on the cop. I had one follow me for almost five miles across an island while I was going a steady 5-10 over the entire time.* He just told me to keep it slow and thanked me for not riding like a complete jackass.

*It was pre-dawn and still dark, so I didn't know it was a LEO behind me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was so used to the crown vics of the local sheriff. Alas, Bainbridge Island has fancy cars I'd yet to adapt to.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

"MRAP" really isn't descriptive considering there are at least seven base models made by at least three different manufacturers and dozens of variants designed for multiple different roles. Good luck finding replacement parts when they break down!

E: Looks like most of them are going with Caimans. The DOD dropped them for various reasons, but we sold most of them to the South Koreans.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 21, 2014

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

EX250 Type R posted:

International IMGs have tons of parts bin stuff, I imagine others are similar

I guess it'll be easier for police forces to replace things. poo poo, they use Caterpillar engines and tons of industrial internals. The DOD just likes to operate under "MUST BE SAME PART!" when something needs to be replaced.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, at least now I have a reason why I will never ever let Fisker MC touch my bike ever again:

I've never balanced a wheel before in my life, but I'm pretty drat sure I could do a better and less mangled job of it than whichever semi-trained monkey did this.

Holy gently caress how does someone manage that? Literally all you do is hammer the weights on. How is that result even possible? :psyduck:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Oh god it's that time of year. They are coming out.
"I need this tire swapped."
"Okay, we've got several ahead of you, but it should be done in a couple of hours."
:byodood: "WHAT I WANT IT DONE NOW I AM GOING ON A RIDE IN TWO HOURS THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! THE SEASON IS ONLY SO LONG!!!"

:downs: "I need a tire"
"Okay, what kind of bike do you ride?"
:downs: "......................uh..............a sport bike............."
"Um, alright. What kind of sport bike? Are you looking to do track days? Distance riding? Around town? A little bit of everything?"
:downs: "I don't know just give me the best tire!!"
"Well, the Michelin Pilot Road 4 is a great tire. It's very popular, and has great tread life. The Pilot Road series is a great set of tires all around."
:downs: "That's way too expensive oh my god I want something cheaper!!!"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

KARMA! posted:

You know what, I've never ever come across anyone who did the whole "you're not riding a real bike" that wasn't friendly ribbing. Not even one.

The only stereotypical group of people I meet are the ones that go "man that's wayy dangerous! Be safe! :ohdear:".

Should've bought a bike out of the limited man-approved man bike list that was drawn up in the seventies. :(

Oh they're out there. I've met them, and they're exactly like you'd imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I swear to the dark gods that if I have to listen to another person ask "Why are the zippers on the wrong side? Is this a wimin jacket?" I'll shout "MAH FREEDUM" and kick them in the nuts.