Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If I were to be granted one inalienable power of righteous judgement to wield at will against other motorists, I wouldn't choose one to wield against impaired drivers, or phone users, distracted parents, boy racers, or self-important businesspersons. I wouldn't wield it against foreign truck drivers or the elderly. I wouldn't use it to target drivers at all.
I would have the power to instantly and irrevocably and with no recourse, disable, impound, and crush any lovely soot spewing diesel powered vehicle that has the misfortune of sharing the road with me.

I am so goddamn sick of these black cloud motherfuckers. The annual MOT is some kind of joke if these ignoramuses can get a pass.
Destroy them all. If I had a GoPro I'd start a blog to name and shame the filthy cunts.

Got something you want to get off your chest? Post it here. You might not get any replies, but at least you'll feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Spiffness posted:

This. You work a full day on a Sunday or something and you have to be so loving careful not to have the GP spoiled!

I hate all motorcyclists. We're all assholes. It's terrible.

No poo poo, you can't even go for a ride on the weekend because every other stupid oval office has taken his bike out the garage for the day and brought the police with him to all the good roads that aren't full of Doris going antiquing, it's terrible! Then you get squiddy mcgee, and Dr. Harley Dentistron, and a convoy of tourists going to ace café who've never ridden in traffic before, when you have actual poo poo to do, don't get me started!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In a way, I suppose this thread is the antithesis of the things you love the poo poo out of while riding thread. Sorry.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

What baffles me are the Prius drivers who drive the things like bats out of hell. Like, 30 or more over the highway limit. Why would you buy a hybrid just to drive it like a GT? I hate getting passed by these guys because I know the moment we come to any kind of incline or turn that they will inexorably return to the cruel rules of physics that govern wimpy cars with skinny tires.

well, I had one as a ZipCar rental once, and let me tell you, those pieces of poo poo can sure move if you cane them. Driving like a dong in a Prius is actually pretty fun. Instant torque is pretty useful in traffic, as anyone with a ~650 single can attest to.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

oval office in a BMW.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The new Google maps is poo poo all around, I've started trialling Skobbler to see if it's a decent replacement. So far it looks good, but it isn't quite complete yet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Waze is my go-to at the moment. Top notch all around.

I think probably a lot of these alternative map apps have better support in the US than the UK. I was testing it out in my neighborhood, and even though it did know that there was a petrol station up the road if I zoomed into and selected it, it didn't come up in a search of nearest fuel stations. The labeling of all the businesses on a road when you zoom right in is very well done though. I'll give Waze a look, I'm not bothered by who owns it, I'm bothered by how much Google has managed to poo poo up it's own map app in the latest update. When I need a bank machine, I want to type 'bank machine' and it should show me every ATM, ABM, cashpoint and bank machine on the map I'm currently looking at, not show me CashPoint Inc. in Dulwich. I keep location services turned off unless I'm desperately lost to conserve battery, but even that aside, why does it assume I want to search in my current location? If I know where I'm going and I want to see if there's a bank or a petrol station or whatever in that area, I should be able to search that particular map for what I'm looking for. Before, it was intuitively simple to do that. Now it's a complicated shambles of bad UI and "social media" stupidity.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HNasty posted:

You can revert back to the old version

Ah thank gently caress for that! I'd tried before but had auto update ticked in the play store so as soon as I'd reverted, it updated again.

E- after a quick test drive, it looks like it reverts you to the old UI (preferred), but the search results seem based on the new maps' engine ie still can't find poo poo, but at least it doesn't take you somewhere completely unrelated to where your map was centered.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 7, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

Oh, hi dad! I didn't know you had an account.

Srsly tho my bike decidedly does not have LED taillamps. Gonna dig out my charger when I get home. And maybe this is a failure of imagination on my part but I'm having a hard time figuring out a chain of events that would lead to me cursing the designers for NOT including a way for me to lock the steering and pull the key but have the brake lights stay on. I mean, I know about the park setting, I've avoided it for years but I must have had a braino last night.

I was bitching about this very same thing about a month or so ago. It happened to me again the other day, luckily at work again so a battery pack was not far away. It is a terrible design and I don't know what anyone was thinking when they came up with it. It's like having a device that lets the air out of your tires if you don't have you steering on full lock when your park.
I've never had a problem with it on previous bikes, but previous bikes didn't have such a stupid ignition cylinder.

:argh:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

It's super easy to crash on gravel, all you have to do is see it, freak out, grab a handful of brake, and it doesn't matter if you were on gravel or not!

Or not see it, because it's night and there's no lights in the parking lot, and it looks like the asphalt it's sitting on top of under your headlight. :v:
Though that was less a crash and more a fall over.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My bike has the horn button more ergonomically accessible than the turn signal switch, and a little trigger for my index finger to flash the hi-beams. In case you weren't sure what country it hails from.

Yesterday I had the motorcycle equivalent of someone in an SUV squeezing into a compact car space right next to me. Dude on an (immaculately clean, max farkled) R1300GS jamming it into a scooter sized spot right next to my Multi. I had to do the motorcycle equivalent of climb through the passenger window to get out, while he futzed about with his all aluminum hard boxes. Haul the thing up by the right hand handlebar and ease it out into the laneway far enough that there was a big enough gap for me to squeeze past and get on from the left side. I kicked his front tire as I got on by accident, but I'd be happy if he thought I did it deliberately. It's not like the bike lot was rammed either, it just might have meant 10 seconds of extra walking for him.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Drifter posted:

gently caress all ya'll. I'm gonna ride Bruce and you're just going to have to deal with it. :colbert:

Meet Bruce. This is how I imagine I look to everyone else when I ride my bike. Get on the highway I spank it into third gear, and then jerk it into fourth. Unstoppable.

A real Badass. :911::respek::smug:

what the gently caress did I just watch?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

I really think people speed up because 90% of the time they're distracted with their Big Gulp / Big Mac / Cell Phone / Little Timmy that they don't watch their speed and when someone passes them or zips off at a stop light they snap back to "Oh I must be going too slow" and slam on the gas.

It especially bothers me when people play leapfrog on the highway though. No Mr. F250 diesel I'm not passing you because I want to race, I'm passing you because I can't see around you and that makes me less prepared on the road. I just want to be able to see in front of me. God.

yeah, it really is mostly that. Ages ago I caught myself doing the same thing in my car, just sort of cruising down the highway, not paying attention to my speed. Someone would draw alongside and pass me, and I'd subconsciously think 'oh man I must have zoned out there and dropped below the speed limit' and gradually increase my speed to match. That's when I realized I was doing exactly the same thing that I'd witness other cars do while I was passing them that made me think 'what the gently caress is this idiot trying to prove? Why won't he/she let me pass him?'. It doesn't excuse the behaviour, but at least know that people generally aren't doing it out of spite or vindictiveness. You're still gonna get some kid who thinks you want to race when you pass him, but the speed creepers are just people who aren't watching their speedo.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Backov posted:

Light creepers SEEM to want to go fast, but you'll find they're always the slowest to step on the gas when the light actually turns. Fact.

fact verified.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

tjones posted:

You seem upset and that read very dramatically.

well duh, this is the ranting thread after all, not the level headed carefully considered both sides of an argument thread.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Weather was amazing here in PA today so I risked the salt to thrash the melting snow and the mud pits all the trails and drainage areas around me have turned into. Gave the bike a little spraydown at the carwash and she's good to hide in my garage for another month if need be.

That said I really want a supermoto but goddamn, my enduro is so perfect sometimes. I feel like I'm breaking up with a great girl just because I'm not sure if she's what I want yet.

Just remember that monogamy doesn't have to apply to motorcycles. If you can afford it, you can have more than one (like wives).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

In NZ 40km/h over the limit gets you an instant loss of license for thirty days. The cop physically takes it off you, then you have to sort out getting your vehicle home; if it's parked somewhere illegal (like by the side of the motorway) they tow it.

sounds like the kiwis and canucks have been exchanging notes...

this is also why, should I move back to canuckistan, I'll be looking at beautiful but slow Moto Guzzi V7s.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 29, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

This works as long as you don't have to stop for gas more often on the long trips, but does significantly increase risk. Plus in the long run, you're going to normalize to the faster speed, are you going to then do 90mph to "stay alert"? Better to just adjust your perception of things.

I usually have an espresso before I leave for work to stay alert while I do 90+mph. It usually keeps me going until I can get to work and have another coffee to wake up fully.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

How long before you're snorting blow and riding 120 to keep your high going man? HOW LONG?!?! :mad:

People would begin to suspect something if I started turning up that chipper (and made it to lunch without a nap), and anyway, I talk enough bollocks as it is.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

New Zealand. It isn't nice, they can press charges based on that ridiculous claim alone. The rider "matches my description", my rear end. I wish people would just mind their own poo poo and live their own bloody lives.

I have no idea how the law works in NZ but my advice is lawyer up, document everything (record the police call and inform them they're being recorded), then file a suit for police harassment, and might as well drag your neighbor into it as well to thoroughly discredit them as a witness.
(this will probably cost more than it would to just move somewhere with less assholes)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What in the gently caress. Who gets that close to someone else on a bike? This whole scenario...I don't even know where to begin :psyduck:

Welcome to commuting in London traffic.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

It isn't one of my mates, the first time he gave me a contact number and so on. My mates also don't have any idea what my license plate numbers are, or even which bikes I currently own.

NZ (the north island, at least) is like one gigantic retirement home. Nice place to be a kid, nice place to be a geriatric, loving terrible if you're capable of living life unassisted and want to do your own thing.

Invercargill here you come, I guess!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Sometimes I'll pass a bike that has a more cafe seat than my cafe seat, and I'll have to bust out my battery powered Ryobi One grinder to make my cafe seat more cafe.

Ryobi One? Yeah I guess if you like radioactive, carcinogenic cheap plastic tools made by lawyers and accountants. I prefer to use my vintage Black & Decker, built buy manly men back when people actually used tools to build things.

Also, dear lord, I think I found a hipster tools website. (I should have guessed this is exactly what I'd find when I searched for "vintage angle grinder")
http://www.flamingsteel.com/my-vintage-tool-collection.php

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, this is a total score. A photographer friend was doing some UrbEx in a decomissioned refinery and found these vintage 55 gallon drums in an old warehouse (no doubt left there when some lawyer or accountant decided it was too expensive to be useful). I can't quite make out what they say because the amazing patina has faded some of the words printed on the side, but it's something like "keto.e". Whatever it is in there is a really amazing degreaser, great for cleaning up abused vintage tools and greasy hands... you have to be careful though because it can remove the patina. I got some on my carcinogenic plastic Ryobi I was going to discard, and it completely melted the plastic. Didn't do a thing to the real steel tools though. Far better than the wimpy modern "citrus degreaser" I had in the studio. It smells proper, not like some cheap carcinogenic air freshener some accountant would use to make his kitchen smell pretty.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Poe's Law stamping on my face, forever.

I had to look it up... dear lord what have I done...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

If I had to guess kerosene.

it was supposed to be ketone, as in methy ethyl or worse, but I suppose I could have used .ylen. too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Tenchrono posted:

I make pizza for a living :shrug:.

pizza engineer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

2-3mm clippers, entire head. Best thing about being bald.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I had a guy open his door on me while lanesplitting :sigh: he kept it open so I couldn't get past, and I'd have smashed into him if I were only a few feet closer.

This is California. It's legal, gently caress you, and the next time I see your PT Cruiser I'm plugging your windows for messing with my livelihood.

I had one guy do it once not deliberately to me, stopped traffic on the sliproad into the airport (I think the tunnel was blocked or closed). I think he was just getting out for a better look or a stretch or something. Luckily I was being very wary and had time to stop, he was pretty apologetic. Very occasionally I'll have someone crowd me, whether on purpose or to get a better view of the jam and it's annoying, but as soon as one lane moves a bit, you can get around, or just skip over to the other lane gap. I always think "you might have cost me 5 or 10 seconds, but I'll be home in 10 minutes and you'll still be stuck in this traffic jam". Bike wins.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Nah it's a service station woman who I see pretty much every time I go to the gas station near my house. I don't know her, I don't smalltalk with her, but she would've seen my various bikes I guess.

NZ is a great place, honestly. It's just the people.

90% certain this is what happened.

I'm actually unable to get a passport at the moment. My parents decided to get their NZ citizenship when I was a kid (I came here at age seven) but left me as a 'permanent resident' which means I get all the rights of a citizen, minus actually being a citizen and having an NZ passport etc. Then they hosed off to Australia.

I'm trying to get my citizenship in order to get a passport and I've just gotten a letter from immigration telling me that the number of demerit points on my license indicate I have a disregard for traffic laws and 'may' indicate that I don't qualify as 'a person of good character' and that the bureau 'may' compile a report outlining this and present it to the minister, who will then decide whether or not to reject my application in order to 'give me sufficient time to demonstrate good character traits'. This would mean I lose the $450 application fee.

Alternatively I can withdraw my application now and get $390 of my fee back, then wait until the points expire.

What country were you born in? Alternatively, what citizenship do your parents claim? If it's Australian I don't know, but if your parents are from a country and you were born in that country, you should be able to get a passport from that country, even if you aren't resident or anything. Hell I got a British passport despite being born in Canada because my dad was British.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

What?

That's pretty bizarre. Also, pretty stupid if the cops are relying on those readings and pretty useless if they aren't.

Bizarre until you consider The French. There was this one road sign on the highway up to Chamonix that goes over an inhabited valley which advises you not to throw litter out your window because it'll hit the people below. The picture on the sign? A wine bottle being tossed out of a car window.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wesley snypes posted:

Nothing new going on here, but I'm trying to sell my bike and I've counted:

-two people asking for my best price
-one trade for a gmc jimmy, another for a chevy s10 with cut springs
-one guy who texted me two minutes before he was supposed to come have a look at it, saying that he had "literally just bought one from the dealer, lol".

holy christ just put a bullet in me already

It might seem bad at the time, but in the end sometimes it's just better if your bike gets stolen. Dealing with insurance can't be worse than dealing with Craigslist buyers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Here is this for ranting: made out with a coworker last night while we were both hosed up. She initiated it. I don't know how to proceed. :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7gfbVpraWw

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

You mean to tell me that not everyone does this? I thought it was standard operating procedure. Might explain the looks I get while out on the trails...

this does sound reasonable... but... jumping your motorbike over her horse... I dunno it's a real toughie.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I had a 1 hour ride to Gatwick this morning for some work related training, it was 1 degrees C. At least it was clear! Actually it made me very thankful I spent all that money over the years on garishly coloured technical mid and base layers. Free climbing up the north face of the Eiger? No, just going to work.
That plus my linings and 3 fingered mitts and a balaclava and I was actually pretty comfortable!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I used to (several years ago) have this attitude about my bicycle. Then I realized that I don't give a poo poo about the weight because I'm not riding cyclocross and I weigh 5x as much as the bike anyway. And, amazingly enough, when I have fenders installed I don't get sprayed with mud and poo poo when the roads are wet.

I have been run into from behind TWICE, at two different stoplights on different days, by the same idiot hipster with some lovely old yellow 10-speed with no brakes and a full road chainset that's stuck in a single gear because he took off the derailleurs. Yes, he has a freewheel hub but no friction brakes. I don't loving know.

I always wondered what the deal was with this weight obsession with cyclists, especially the Tour de Commute ones. Since one of the excuses these people use for not having a motor on their bike is "it's for fitness", surely pushing more weight = more fitness, no?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Removing grams from a bicycle is like adding cc's to a motorcycle.

It's probably more like removing kilos from a motorcycle, adding cc's is like adding muscle fiber to your legs. I just don't get the argument that it's for speed, because you know what would add a hell of a lot more speed to a bicycle than a few shaved grams and a protein shake for breakfast? A loving motor.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Fun trip with a fun passenger. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=960174

As a BMW owner , my favorite part is

YEAH
SUCK IT HARLEY

not bad for an on the spot witty retort, but the most appropriate response to a comment like that is to roll one's eyes and make the "wanker" gesture with one's hand. Try it some time, feels good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

Same mentality that causes drivers to sail through reds.

what, "can't break my rhythm, I'm on a record pace here", or "starting from a stop wastes so much energy, I need to maximize my efficiency!"?

Drivers sailing through reds is much more likely to be "The Kruger deal is paramount, do what you can to get them on board! Buy! Sell!" Or "Ooh mike just posted a new baby picture on facebook!" or "zzzzzzzz"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

That's the problem with cleaning your bike, you might have a wad of grimy dirt stopping up a leak

NEVER CLEAN YOUR BIKE. Dust it off with your hands, or a dustrag if you must.

Hello I am Pigpen from Peanuts comics

That's what pisses me off most about when the gas pump nozzle still has some fuel in it and it spills down the side of the tank when I go to put it in the hole. Now I have this clean bit down the side and that's no drat good! So I get a paper towel from the bins by the pump and smear it around a bit in hopes that I can make a mess of it again.