Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have a gopro for this exact reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Dearest claim evaluator:

You loving wish that the parts/tow/labor only came to $290. It's going to be exciting to hear your mewling when the shop calls you up with the revised amount.

What a loving headache.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

They make air horn kits and stuff like that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9ZWYTSDb8w

but relying too much on your horn isn't the best idea, imo.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

ElMaligno posted:

There was frost on the Motorcycle today and tommorow its supposed to snow. :smith:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Man, what the hell is it with people blatantly lying about the condition of bikes/parts? "The fairings are good, no scuffs or scratches or cracks or anything, the bike is fine" I come out there to behold a bike in the shittiest condition I've ever personally witnessed. Paint bubbles from gas spills on a good 50% of the fairings, cracks at mounting points, dents/scuffs/scrapes, and the metal parts of the bike were so thoroughly rusted you couldn't separate the individual parts anymore.

It's like lying on a dating profile. The other person's not going to ignore the extra 150lbs when you meet.

I went back and pulled this off the ad

"If I wish really really hard, maybe it will happen!"

M42 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 5, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

This phenomenon is so widespread that when I recently sold a givi screen for an sv650 and described it as having no marks or damage, the guy actually walked back to his car and gave me three bottles of beer because he was so astonished that I wasn't bullshitting.

Hah, that's awesome. Now that I think about it, that's probably why all my CL sells went so smoothly. I can't really fathom why you'd lie. The moment the buyer sees that you were playing opposite day when answering questions about the condition, they're gonna 180 and roll outta there. They don't know what else you may have lied about, and who the gently caress wants to make a deal with a dishonest jackass that doesn't respect your time? Ughhh :rant:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I don't bother calling them out, I leave after a polite once-over because it's just not worth my time/effort. You won't change their mind, anyway.

However, last night I really wanted to repeat "bike is extremely clean" over and over while wildly gesticulating at problem areas (the entire bike), eyes rolling violently

M42 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 5, 2013

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I dropped my bike while standing still/moving it with my legs a buncha times in my first months too, at the beginning I had a really hard time controlling it when I wasn't actually riding cause I'm fuckin tiny. Plus there was the time I rode into some sand and fell over cause, lol what is this off-road you speak of?

Anyways that's normal, some people take time to get used to sitting on a 350+lb object that likes to tip to the sides. I beat myself up over it a looooong time, cause I kept thinking about how preventable it all was, and my fairings look like poo poo now but that's how you learn. And boy did I learn a lot :allears:

That reminds me, this dude I had classes in college with preemptively bought a new ninja 250 like a week ago. His msf is in march and he's not getting it delivered till then, but I feel bad - if he drops it, he's gonna poo poo pinecones in anger for weeks. Hell, I did the same, and mine's a beat up lil pregen.

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 25, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Hah, those are on the same level as mine. Time to commiserate! First time, like a week after I got the bike, I pulled a slow speed uie on a narrow street without accounting for the crown of the road, moved way faster than I wanted cause of downward angle, braked to avoid a parked car and stopped while leaned over. Down I went, broke the turn signal. Replaced the signal, and literally the next day I parked my bike with the kickstand not fully extended and it tipped over and broke the brand new signal. Then there was the time I parked in the wrongest way possible, pointing downhill with the kickstand on the uphill side, and the bike tipped over immediately. In front of a store full of people watching, too. I don't park like a dumbass anymore. There was also a bunch of times I just barely saved it from falling because I stopped where the road was tilted in all sorts of interesting directions. Really need to stop skipping leg day.

I almost made it on my little offroad excursion too, but the front washed out, scratched the gently caress out of the entire left side and broke the turn signal again. That time, I couldn't find any parts on CL, so I built a complete signal out the leftover parts of the other two. :sun:

For the brake thing, find a parking lot and do a ton of braking practice.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Holy loving poo poo, what?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

If you're moving to California don't go south of San Jose or North of Oakland.

What bullshit is this, berkeley rules.

I am college-aged though.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

and I miss NorCal so much it hurts

:smith::hf::smith:

I've got a bunch of locations saved on the phone's weather app. I was looking at the forecast for the next week in polar vortex winter wonderland and accidentally tabbed over to the bay area one. I'm here to to say gently caress that particular feeling.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:stare: Christ, I thought NZ was cool, turns out it's just Outraged Geriatric No Fun Zone.

Slavvy posted:

My mother was born a soviet so I'm hosed if I know what she did.

My parents, too. Getting a proper passport after the ussr collapse wasn't hard, they just... issued new ones pretty much. It's the dual citizenship process it fucks with.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Take a page outta top gear's book

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Immigrating in general is really hard unless have: a shitload of money, a really sought-after degree/skills, or familial ties. Like most countries won't even let you in if you're not in one of those three groups.

Just move to CA.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Check your eternal spring privilege

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My hands (and nothing else) turn into blocks of ice below 54, it really limits my riding in spring and fall. Wish there was a way to get some bark busters onto a ninja 250.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

For real. Don't even bother with anything else. Get the gear.

No, I think I've made up my mind

M42
Nov 12, 2012

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Mother of god! I don't know how well that would scale down to AV size though.

Motorcycles?!!? In MY middle earth??!!1

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Slavvy posted:

At the risk of being a dumbass: how do you get an AV bigger than 125x125? I want to make the larger one mine so as to reward your sterling efforts but it won't let me upload an image that large.

:doh: I always make that mistake.

Z3n posted:

Post moments from today's commute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILnKm_9_fM

Have you ever gotten stuck

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Gingerbread men in my household.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Elviscat posted:

and the guy must have thought I wanted to race

In the same vein, I'll sometimes WOT for a second to get out of a car's blind spot on the highway. Half the time it'll flip some "omg biek wants 2 race" switch in the lizard brain of whoever's driving, and they'll speed up too, putting me squarely back in their blind spot.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

That's not a very impressive WOT then :colbert:

Two fiddy :colbert:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Linedance posted:

This has always freaked me out about Alberta /BC, coming from Toronto. As a pedestrian, if you even look like you might want to cross the road, traffic in both directions comes to a halt. The first time it happend to me, I was in Golden BC, and I literally thought it was some sick game the locals played on tourists. I was so used to just judging the gap and making a break for it, it didn't even occur to me that motorists would actually yield to pedestrians, even if there wasn't a crosswalk.

Same, but with Berkeley CA. Coming from boston, it was like "what the gently caress are these people stopping for? Is there a wheelchair-bound old lady on the other side?!?"

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wave at everyone, even scooters. That's right, dominos guy. I'm waving at you

Also an actual wave at little kids.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Most of the navy people at the CT base are submarine dudes. Submarine dudes are crazy about safety in my experience.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

My first avatar (on this account, anyway) was some anime bullshit with the word POUTINE below it and I still have no clue what it was, who bought it or why.

http://esarahpalinonline.com/soap/?username=Sagebrush

I like the theme you've got going on, besides that one

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Covered scooters are the doofiest looking things in the world. Look at it. :buddy:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Frosty- posted:

he loves to get his knee down because he can really feel it catch the wind and help him turn like some kind of airbrake :aaaaa:

I will never stop laughing

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This is a pretty good list of bikes for shorter people: http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html

Safety Dance posted:

I know you can put lowering links on a Ninjette, although as a tall guy I don't see how one could get any shorter.

FWIW my ninjette came lowered, and only when I returned it to stock height did I realize how lovely it handled before because the geometry was way out of whack. If you're lowering the back, lower the forks as well.

E: pull the forks up I mean. Though now that I think about it, I don't even know if you can do that on the ninjette.

M42 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 1, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Went to get some food truck good eatin'. Standing there in atgatt awaiting samosas, this older dude's like "you hot in that? I don't even wear anything, just like a tshirt when I ride". I don't even say anything aside from "haha, yeahhh" anymore.

It is loving hot in gear though, that's the second part of my rant :supaburn:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Haaaa, I knew someone would pick up on that :v:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Schroeder91 posted:

18k miles in less than a year on the bike:getin:

Sheeeeeeit, I forget, where do you live? Cause if it's not in constant-summer-cali, how the fuuuuck did you manage that

M42
Nov 12, 2012

drat! I was gonna say, that's doing one of the major maintenance milestones every month. You could do the maintenance yourself to save money, but then that'd take like a week out of every month of riding.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

My bike had to hibernate for nearly 5 months this winter, and I risk heat stroke if I ride above 85 in the summer. Which is all july and august here.

"I'm not bitter," I say, bitterly, with a bitter expression

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh, it's fine when I'm moving. It's when I'm stopped the heat becomes a problem, and we have some of the worst traffic in the country. Mesh gear wouldn't help that much when you're just sitting.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

hot sauce posted:

I've lived in DC my entire life and still not used to the humidity we have here. When riding in August just stick with back roads earlier in the day. We've gone on long rides when it's over 90 - you just have to stay hydrated.

Also, I don't condone this but I've filtered through gridlock downtown traffic before on a few brutal days. No one really gives you a second look if traffic is at a standstill.

Ugh yeah, I'm never gonna get used to it. Early morning seems to be pretty cool on 85+degree days, you just gotta avoid traffic (so basically, no weekday early morning rides)

I've resigned myself to getting a ticket for splitting in the summer - I mean, it's better than passing the gently caress out on the street. Maybe I should just do that in front of the cop. "Do you know why I stopped you?" *faints*

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What a bitter asswipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

drat pork, that sounds like a mess, sorry you had to go through that. If we're gonna do some kind of contact thingy, I agree a (closed/private) FB group would be way better than a spreadsheet.