Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Giant parades of loud vehicles are the norm here though, it's not uncommon to see a motorcade with someone important in it block traffic for 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

The 9/11 ride that went by my house was about 2300 bikes and that took half an hour. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a group bigger than that.

I totally agree and avoid crowds here as much as possible. I was just kidding about waiting for them to pass, as it would be would be no big deal after sitting through so many police motorcades in the past.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

Giving your bike a girl's name always seemed weird to me anyway. Motorcycles just seem so masculine compared to cars. Maybe it is terror at the homoerotic thought of wrapping your thighs around a Harley named "Bruce".

I've only ever heard of bikes/cars named the opposite sex of the person who owns it. It's probably just less enjoyable for a dude to ride Bruce as it would be to ride Bessie.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

thylacine posted:

I remember an episode of Pawn Stars where the Count came to look at a chopper-trike some guy wanted like $100k for.

His verdict was $15k if I remember right.

You also get to see the other side of private sales in that show - the guys that run the store lowballing the poo poo out of people.

*shakes head* *smokers laugh* I'll give ya 20 bucks for it

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Clitch posted:

At least you get any lights at all. Lately, I've noticed a lot of people driving with absolutely no lighting in bad weather situations. Torrential downpours, and low light levels, but still idiots in duallies with zero lights on. My 15 year old sedan has DRLs, but some rear end in a top hat in a late model bulldozer of a truck is pitch dark in inclement weather. Texas is so high on guns, I should be allowed to shoot people that stupid.

I see at least a few people per minute without any headlights on whenever I ride at night around here. Our streets are so illuminated that you really don't need headlights at all to see. What they don't realize is that they are invisible to everyone else.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have gotten the "wtf?" look when I slow down for people like that.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You probably just didn't realize how badly you were riding before you dope fiend :2bong:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
lol @ there being beef between two nerd internet forums

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Asphalt and Rubber like Iron and Resin or is it like Blood and Oil or Iron and Air or Seaweed and Gravel?

What would the CA shop be called, Chain Lube and Skidmarks?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

TheCoconutman posted:

So a friend of a friend asked me to fix up a 1978 cb750 for him. Not the best shape but bone stock it's all there, I'm not a big honda guy but the condition this bike is in makes me want to restore one something awful. But looking up tech info on all these forums and all I see are people tearing completely stock bikes apart, saw one with 2800 original miles! What the gently caress is wrong with people? Why not buy someone else's unfinished project? poo poo I bought a roller xs650 cause it was dirt cheap and I figured I'd tuck it away for a project.

http://hipsterbikevideos.tumblr.com/

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

;-* my husband

:smith: Yes dear, I know. The motorbike is loud and the police will hopefully be taking care of it soon. Can we please go back to sleep

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
will u take 400 and a ps2

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quite A Tool posted:

You mean to tell me that not everyone does this? I thought it was standard operating procedure. Might explain the looks I get while out on the trails...

I twist grocery cart handles like it's the throttle as I'm shopping. Pretty sure I've been caught brapping in the frozen food section.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I wonder how well that sells. Someone who loves freedom that much probably doesn't want a full face helmet.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A fuckwit on a bike with a mohawk prosthetic screams "AVOID ME IN TRAFFIC!"

:haw: http://www.mohawkryderz.com/?page_id=2

Ryde it like you stole it…

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Also, red does not mean do circles in the intersection. Just stop and obey traffic signals like the rest of us.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Keep your head up dude, it gets better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu5P4pOUuYk

Heck yeah

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
drat son where'd ya find this?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Can I get this on a t shirt with "FREE SLAVVY" underneath?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

No, he quit when he became a father, blah blah blah because it's selfish to ride when you have kids,

I don't have kids but have thought about whether I'd give up riding if I do end up having some. I understand you can't just stop living your life, but how do you rationalize the extra risk?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reversing a few more feet and hitting him seems a lot more likely than a car bomb lol

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

You're part of the IRL cool dudes club now, you can't be running around with that pansy comic book bullshit for an AV.

Don't listen to this bamma, comic books rule.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Oh, it's fine when I'm moving. It's when I'm stopped the heat becomes a problem, and we have some of the worst traffic in the country. Mesh gear wouldn't help that much when you're just sitting.

I've lived in DC my entire life and still not used to the humidity we have here. When riding in August just stick with back roads earlier in the day. We've gone on long rides when it's over 90 - you just have to stay hydrated.

Also, I don't condone this but I've filtered through gridlock downtown traffic before on a few brutal days. No one really gives you a second look if traffic is at a standstill.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've ever thought about zippers period, unless there was one stuck on my jacket or something

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

How does everyone here cool off after encountering things that piss them off?

:2bong:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Smudgie Buggler posted:

The thread's called the echo chamber/padded room... Congrats on defending the smug ramblings of a senile victim-blaming halfwit :jerkbag:

:gb2gbs:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

clutchpuck posted:

Not on the motorcycle in the middle of the night is where I would be. I've posted before that I avoid riding in the dark. But you could add "not on roads where there are bars" to the mix.

Dude, stop victim blaming. A motorcyclist has every right to drive alongside drunk people in the middle of the night :ralp:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

whoops, meant to post this in pictures and video

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 28, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Is anyone else here a dumbass who is pathologically unable to keep track of when they changed their oil? I know I am! And now I have to err on the side of caution and probably do it when I don't need to because I can't remember the mileage I told myself to remember.

I just write this and other maintenance down in the back of my manual. I'd never remember it if I didn't

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What garage :(

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Which ad was this?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
"super sticky sport tires" :crossarms:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Marxalot posted:

N'th-ing the "only dudes care about your dumb bike" thing.

lol if your bike has never played a part in you getting laid at least once :dukedog:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gillingham posted:

I'm just concerned about night riding if I went tinted.

I have both tinted and clear visor. I wear the tinted one if I know I'm only going to be out during the day. Only been caught with it at night once and I just rode with the visor up. If I know I'll be riding into the night I bring the clear one + sunglasses.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only person who thinks internal visor helmets are hella dorky looking?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Akion posted:

Chained to the brush guard of my truck. Got stolen some time last night.

Just moved last month and was actually going out to go shopping for a disc lock.

:(

drat man, sorry to hear that. Do you have theft insurance?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gillingham posted:

Is theft a huge issue? I feel like dirt bikes in the boonies probably have a lot of concern but less so in cities with generic bikes. Around LA I haven't really worried, then again I drive a versys so no one probably wants to steal it.

Not sure if this is the case everywhere, but where I live dirt bikes/SMs are just as desirable as supersports. A DRZ wouldn't last a month outside of a garage.

Akion - what about using some of the insurance money for a beat up looking older bike?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Is this going to be the equivalent of the burnout thing in AI?

What happened?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I see a good amount of idiots every time I ride too but at this point I can predict 90% of these incidents before they happen. It's fun to look up ahead and call out things like "he's going to switch lanes without a blinker" or "he's going to turn right from the left lane".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Goons stop getting rekt please :(

This. Get well soon capt/HCC.