Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Deeters posted:

Speaking of dumb drivers, do you guys have people wave you through stop signs before you get a chance to stop? It seems like 90% of the time I get to an intersection with another car, they give me the "go ahead" wave. I know some are just being nice, but it's really weird when they're waving like crazy and I haven't even gotten to the sign yet.

Oh god, yes. The worst is when it's a 4-way stop. You get a good flow going and then someone who gets there ahead of you tries to "be nice" and waves you through, but it totally fucks up the flow of traffic.

Also know a guy that stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk (as he should). The pedestrian waved him on, so on he went. A cop almost immediately pulled him over and said he had to yield for pedestrians. He said he did and was waved through and cop said "it didn't matter" :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish I could get my hands on whoever invented chip-sealing, so I could pour boiling asphalt down his throat and chase it with "finely graded aggregate".

Buddy of mine almost died because of that this spring. Did a long sweeping turn and when they came out of the turn, a bunch of that poo poo was just scattered loose everywhere. No signs or anything. Both of them took a header and needed to get out via medi-vac. He just got out of the hospital a few weeks ago (happened in May).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Z3n posted:

Group rides suck.

Welcome to has been forever

Edit: Regarding idiots trying to race at lights, I've had that happen a lot this year too for some reason. If I can tell someone wants to seriously race and they can hear me, I'll open my visor and say "50 bucks". I've done that a couple times and they seem to calm down pretty fast when the light turns green. I know it's an ST and poo poo, but you have got to have one gently caress of a car to even be in the realm.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 17, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Xovaan posted:

I have perfect vision but I also take shitloads of nootropics. Colors and lights are enhanced dramatically so driving at night is a techno nightmare :lsd:

I had no idea what a nootropic was so I had to wiki it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootropic

I don't think I've ever seen so many "citation needed" remarks in a single article before.

:stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That front end makes it look like a movie prop bike

I'd ride the hell out of that

e: That license holder contraption is crying for a tasteful replacement though, jesus christ :psypop:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 12, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shimrod posted:

Some surgical gloves under your actual gloves can be helpfull as well.

Really? I find my hands get uncomfortably sweaty in exam gloves within minutes, warm or not. I couldn't imagine riding with them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The C14 has a linked system with 2 settings and has mixed reviews, generally from hardcore owners that "have been riding for 40 years and don't need no stupid linked system" :bahgawd:

The most aggressive setting can be noticeable, especially if you go hard on the rear, but I find the low setting to be perfectly fine at the lowest speeds even at low speeds in parking lots.

The ABS system is fantastic either way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I love riding in Montana. Duck across the border, hit US89 near Glacier with a 70MPH speed limit that can get you in trouble real quick if you're not prepared for some of the corners.

Of course, the RVs in the summer almost make doing the speed limit impossible :saddowns:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hah, fair enough, passing is easy but the sheer volume of the RVs make it impossible and there really is no passing lanes on 89 where they're really needed. You need to resort to solid line passing which I try not to do as a rule. I'll speed, but really try not to illegally pass.

You end up getting past one RV just to get behind another 30' RV and a couple half tons pick ups pulling grossly oversized trailers that can't make it up a 5% grade without slowing to a crawl.

June and Sept are the best months. Weekends July/Aug are especially awful.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

nsaP posted:

Those roads really limit passing if you want to do it with a safety window. I can't wait to ride the going to the sun road.

Sun road is gorgeous and everyone should do it once, but as with my post earlier the traffic is even worse with stops measured in the feet at times. It sucks the soul out of you because the hairpins and cutbacks are all over the place.

If you go early in the AM would be best to minimize it.

Like Dawg says, it'll be a late opening this year for sure. Winter was unseasonably long and brutal. Tenaciously holding on in some areas too.

You can check the status periodically here:
http://www.nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/goingtothesunroad.htm

e: You do get the benefit that they don't allow trailers as a general rule, but the congestion for being, literally, in the middle of nowhere, is remarkable.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 24, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would actually say Beartooth and Dead Indian are better ride to be perfectly honest.

Don't have the elevation but the traffic isn't quite as bad and scenery is still stunning. Better riding roads too in my opinion.

Better yet, do all of them. A ride from Yellowstone to Glacier is a nice day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Outside Dawg posted:

IIRC Logan Pass is about 6600 ft and Beartooth Pass was a shade over 10,000
I did not know that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:master:

That should be his new avatar

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mrs. Slidebite and I want to take a few friends of ours out to the range to expose them to handguns and cool rifles over the summer, just for a cool way to kill an afternoon. I just found out the wife doesn't want to go because she doesn't want to risk leaving their child as an orphan.

:ohdear:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 1, 2014

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm pretty optimistic I can help her see it's not a suicide mission, but it's the fallout of her upbringing.

They're both extremely intelligent and educated, amongst the highest of most intelligent people I have met, but brought up as and they themselves are very far left leaning people. Holding a handgun is simply a foreign concept. Coincidentally, and more related to this forum, getting her on the back of my bike a few years ago was something in itself. But once she was there she loved it and didn't want to go home.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

To be fair, they are supporting the road salt industry of the world back there which decreases as you go west.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Coydog posted:

Some rear end in a top hat in my apartment complex just got a new harley somesuch a few weeks back. It has short straight pipes, and the engine is stroked or something. I've never heard a bike idle as loud or as bad as this. Louder than the straight pipe harley coredump showed me, while also sounding like a rolling drum of rocks. Like it's three beats a second, that slightly increases in frequency, before dropping down and starting over, loud as a machine gun.
If it's really that bad, it's almost certainly breaking some sort of state or civic noise law. If you're comfortable enough, research and tell him. If you're not, tell the cops and let them worry about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Getting off of :rant: chat

Sagebrush posted:

Incidentally, did you know that it's actually illegal to give up your right of way on a public road (eg: waving someone else ahead of you at a four-way stop), specifically because it confuses other drivers?
That is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not sure of the actual legality of it, but someone trying to be "nice" and wave you through a 4 way stop annoys me for this very reason. Just follow the rules of the road. You're not helping anyone and actually slowing down traffic.

Same thing with pedestrians waiting to cross but instead crossing when you stop for them, they wave you on. I know a guy that got ticketed for that. When he said he was waived through cop said "Yeah, too bad, you still have to yield and let them cross." :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Phy posted:

So Slide, I hope your buddy fought it.

We also explicitly get to pass on the right here, with no preference made in the law for passing on the left.
I have no friends in Alberta :(

I think he lived back east at the time (I wasn't with him).

To be fair to the cop, and this is going back 15 years so it's not crystal clear with how he told me, but I think the pedestrian may have technically on the road within a crosswalk, like either there wasn't a proper sidewalk or he was off it in the gutter area. Think how people often walk along the edge of a road if there is no sidewalk.

Still bullshit if he waved you on and to this day is in the back of my mind every time someone waves me on.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I saw a dirty, several year old loving Dodge Caravan ghost car the other day. Fantastic camo, I must give them credit.

Also, for those that don't know in case you haven't figured it out, ghost car = unmarked police car.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pimping Giraffe posted:

The lead up of calling her a oval office kind of offsets that I'd say.
Project much?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shouting Melon posted:

Went to my local Honda dealer this morning to organise a 60k service and new tyres for my VTR250. Was a little bit annoyed after being told that I could bring it in "any day in the next two weeks", but not, apparently, next Thusday, and then the guy drops this on me when I ask about tyres:

:what: (me) I've been hearing really good things about the Michelin Pilot Streets, so it'd be great if you could get a set of those, but otherwise Pilot Activs are okay because I've got those on it a--
:smuggo: (him) Look, those probably aren't even being made any more. Tyre manufacturers change their models so often we can't even keep up.
:what: They... they're... literally brand new.
:smuggo: Oh, you looked them up on "the internet", did you? It's really down to what the importer's bought in.
:what: Um, yes? Can you just find out what's available and let me know before I bring the bike in?
:smuggo: Nah, I'm not even going to bother ordering them until I've got the bike here. You can just leave it with us overnight, whatever.

Oh, cool. I'll just inconvenience myself because you can't be bothered doing your job properly. That's perfectly okay. I get this sort of poo poo from them every time I go in to get the bike serviced that it's now sort of gotten to the point where I'm hoping that either KTM releases the RC390 or I can get my open-class license before I need the bike serviced again just so I can stop having to deal with them.

Buy your tires on :airquote:the internet:airquote: and take them to a small private shop to install them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shouting Melon posted:

Dropped the VTR off for a service at the Honda dealer this morning and told the guy that I didn't really want the tyres done because

:smug: Oh, I've already ordered you the tyres. Look - Pilot Sport Demons!
:what: Uh... Pirelli Sport Demons. You said you weren't going to even order tyres until I had the bike here.
:smug: Yeah, but we'd talked in person and I thought I'd just order them anyway.

At this point, my hernia decides to flare up, and I decide to stop arguing to save myself some pain.

They called up this afternoon to let me know it was ready to be picked up, so I geared up and went to start the CBF250 they'd loaned me only to find the battery on it was dead. Attempted a couple of bump starts (ouch) and then managed to prise off enough plastics to get the battery hooked up to a charger.

Jesus christ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sagebrush posted:

I was also very bemused when one of the australian posters referred to squids there riding in "thongs and a singlet", which apparently means flip-flops and a tank top, but I loved the idea of dude bros ripping around on rashed-up gixxers in a spandex wrestling outfit and a lacy g-string
While smoking a human being

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Incursus posted:

dealership woes
That really sucks and is exactly why I try to do everything myself, but do you really think the bike would be totaled from the dent in the frame? Can you share the photo if you don't mind?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

xaarman posted:

Any frame damage is usually an instant total because you need to take the entire bike apart to replace it.

Sure, I get that, but replace it because of a dent? That's what I don't get. I understand it if the frame is no longer straight or tweaked.

Incursus posted:

I could post a photo, but it doesn't really do the damage proper justice. Also, normally ANY frame damage totals a bike just from the sheer man power hours of removing EVERYTHING from the bike to repair the damage. At least in the eyes of an insurance company. Lets say you need 40 hours to fix the damage. At 80 dollars an hour, that is 3200 dollars in just labor alone. Not including parts, paint, etc. My bike is only worth 4-5k.
Of course it's not your fault so I'd probably go after them too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pfft. Sprockets aren't worn until they are fish hook curved, and then just flip 'em :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A "busted" steering head bearing would be pretty apparent.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I always thought that A* were notoriously undersized if not small

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sagebrush posted:

If you can give me a convincing argument as to why it's safer to be in the middle or right, I'll change my ways, absolutely. I try to do what is safest for me and everyone else, even if it does make me appear to be a dick to some.
You can obviously do whatever you want and you're certainly not alone, but it's entirely possible it's actually illegal where you live, albeit enforcement is usually pretty lax. There was a recent segment on CTV about how Washington highway patrol continually pull over left lane hogs and they're typically BC plates, so much so they asked the Canadian media to cover it.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=386680&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1

Here is a write up from a year or so ago:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/driving-in-the-passing-lane-the-canadian-disease/article10712661/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Got the Blackstone analysis back on my Ninja 500, and it shows high copper & lead indicative of bearing failure as I kind of expected. The engine shakes & sounds like a drat concrete mixer when it's cold, and not much better when it's warm.

I have it for sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should leave it up. I won't be able to sell it for anything if I disclose, and I don't think I would feel good about it if I didn't.

There's a used engine out of a 2007 on CL for $300 (although the motor has 5k more miles on it than mine does...) and I figure I'd lose much more than $300 if I disclosed. But if I put money into it and get it running nice I might as well hang on to it for a bit longer, which would then necessitate a new pair of tires.

Just kind of stuck, I think. Bleh.

If you're seriously thinking of pulling the engine out anyhow, why don't you take a look at the bearings?

You're either putting money/labor into it or basically selling it as a parts bike.