Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
What is Chikara Pro?

Chikara Pro was an indie wrestling company, started in 2002 in Allentown, PA by Mike Quackenbush and Reckless Youth as a promotion for graduates of the Wrestle Factory, their wrestling school. Using a lucha libre-influenced style and an emphasis on "family friendly" atmosphere, they gradually built quite a following in the Northeastern US wrestling scene. With various masked wrestlers and several long-running storylines, they also had as many critics as fans, because of the obscure references and at-times viral nature of their story arcs.

While Chikara does get some flak (sometimes justifiably so), they have had a hand in training some wrestlers that have surfaced in the "big leagues." Brodie Lee (now WWE's Luke Harper) counted Chikara as a regular stop in his indie tours, and Claudio Castagnoli (now WWE's Antonio Cesaro) called Chikara one of his home promotions, and even worked as one of the Wrestle Factory's head trainers.

What happened to it?

In 2013, Chikara was poised to greatly expand their touring radius, with plans in place for a California debut in the fall, and were in the midst of apparently building another big story arc surrounding the kayfabe owners of Chikara, Worldwide Media Development Corporation, and WMDCorp's parent company, Titor Conglomerate. And then, at their iPPV "Aniversario: Never Compromise," it all went pear-shaped. Earlier in the show, fired referee Derek Sabato entered the ring and exposed a supposedly incriminating (or at the least, negative PR heavy) picture of Titor's executives, including Conrad Vavasseur, prompting Chikara's authority figure, Wink Vavasseur (Conrad's son) to freak out and have Sabato thrown out. At the end of the show, in the midst of a Chikara Grand Championship match between Eddie Kingston and Icarus, Wink stormed out, sending a veritable army of Titor's pet PMC, Condor Security, to the ring, dragging Icarus, Kingston, and the referee to the back, and then threw everyone out of the building. Condor tore down the set and the iPPV feed eventually went black.

Over the next week, all of Chikara's upcoming events were suddenly cancelled, wrestlers started seeking bookings elsewhere, and for all intents and purposes, Chikara appears to be dead. A month later, several of the wrestlers surfaced on Chikara's 101 message board to talk about their favorite Chikara memories and otherwise acting as though the company is dead.

Naturally, there are many Chikara fans who insist this is all some angle, that the company isn't dead really. It doesn't help when Icarus, one of the first graduates of the Wrestle Factory, publicly declares he'll be at the venue of what would have been Chikara's next show at showtime. (All he did was talk to fans, give out free t-shirts, and ask people to sign a petition to bring back Chikara.)

As of January 21, some kayfabe explanations for events have started surfacing. Wink Vavasseur has publicly denounced his father and his dealings and has apparently been forthcoming with aid and answers. He revealed that the Titor Conglomerate apparently wanted to make Chikara Pro (and the Wrestle Factory, before Quack separated it from Chikara) into a training ground for their private military. GEKIDO had been on Titor's payroll, as had the Colony XTREME Force.

Much of this information came following a rally in early November. Icarus and several Chikara wrestlers (and trainees like Kid Cyclone) brought a ring to the FDR Skate Park in Philadelphia, having an impromptu 'show'. However, mid-event, Condor Security showed up, kidnapped a fan named Thom, and drove off in a van. The event quickly ended. Condor demanded the fans turn up at the park again in early December, where what ended up becoming a scavenger hunt took place. Condor wanted a file of some kind, presumably containing incriminating information, in exchange for Thom. Partway through the hunt, several Chikara loyalists diverted things and pulled a swap on the file just before delivering it to Condor. Thom was released and has been more or less fine. The file revealed that Titor had been trying to purchase the land next to the Palmer Center in Easton to build a new training facility for their private army.

Days after this information was revealed, Titor revealed they were selling off one of their "sports and entertainment" assets. This sale has come and gone, but no information has been released about who may or may not have purchased this 'asset' (assumed to be Chikara).

What happened to the wrestlers?

Starting in late 2011, several small indie companies started forming under the collective banner of "Wrestling Is," starting with "Wrestling Is Fun!" which was pretty clearly a "minor league" for Chikara. Many Chikara regulars that lived in eastern Pennsylvania worked at WIF. Other WI companies popped up in various territories later-- Cool, Heart, Intense, Art, Respect, and Awesome. Naturally, fans pointed out that the first letter of all those companies (after the Wrestling Is, anyway) spells out C-H-I-_-A-R-A, and Kaiju Big Battel has some notable ties to Chikara. Louden Noxious, Kaiju's announcer, was Chikara's ring announcer, as "Gavin Loudspeaker." Dr. Cube was involved in a story arc, and he also recently got his hands on the mystical Eye of Tyr artifact that first popped up in Chikara.

Why should I care?

Honestly, at this point, if you didn't already care, you probably shouldn't start now.

"Ashes"

Since Chikara closed, a series of videos called "Ashes" have popped up online. Initially available as "early exclusives" for subscribers of the Shop.WrestlingIs streaming service, they are soon publicly releasted on the WrestlingIs YouTube channel. The videos all detail some of the events following Chikara's closure, with the exception of the first video, "Prelude," which seems to point to the founding of the Wrestle Factory. Among the threads in the videos have been the Colony trying to track down the missing Soldier Ant, Icarus trying to rally any support he can to bring Chikara back, and 3.0 trying to locate Archibald Peck.

After the first few months of one or two videos a month, "Ashes" now updates every week. Shop.WrestlingIs gets the new vid on Sunday, with the vid going up on YouTube Mondays around 9PM. The Ashes Vine updates around Tuesday with teaser clips, but these are not always for the next video in the sequence. Additionally, longer preview clips generally surface around Thursday, either by a fan receiving a link to a Dropbox containing the clip, or through some other means.

"Prelude" - Apparently set in 2002 or earlier, it deals with the founding of the Wrestle Factory, as Mike Quackenbush meets with a contractor, discussing what needs to be done to bring the building up to code.
"Man Down" - Set at some point in the summer of 2013, Fire Ant & Green Ant visit a wheelchair-bound Worker Ant, trying to find Soldier Ant. Worker gives Green his old gear and tells him, "You're the worker now."
"Garbage" - July 2013, Icarus meets with Chuck Taylor after a Dragon Gate USA show, asking for help, but Taylor has moved on, and tells him to call some bookers to get some work.
"Thwarted" - October 2013, following the closure of Wrestling Is Awesome, 3.0 decide to track down Archibald Peck, whom they believe has information about the closure of Chikara.
"Fickle" - October 2013, Icarus visits a medicated Tim Donst, now managing a furniture store, but Donst says he can't help him. Before Icarus leaves, Donst gives him his Young Lions Cup trophy, asking him to give it to Jakob Hammermeier. The video ends with Icarus setting GPS directions for the Wrestle Factory.
"The Letter" - October 2013, picking up where "Fickle" left off, Icarus reads/narrates a letter from Hallowicked, discussing the bond they have as Chikara Gen-1 Originals, calling the Wrestle Factory "the closest thing to home."
"Sweat Shop" - October 2013, picking up immediately after "The Letter," Icarus visits the Wrestle Factory, where he meets with Hallowicked. It transpires that Icarus has been looking for Mike Quackenbush, who hasn't been by the school and whose voicemail is full. Quack left a suitcase with his old gear at the building, and Icarus swipes some while 'Wicked isn't looking. Icarus comments on "the landlords out front" and the video concludes with Icarus asking "When's this new batch of greenhorns going to be ready?"
"Dead Horse" - October/November 2013, Icarus meets Eddie Kingston backstage at a Ring of Honor event. Icarus reminds King of how he'd always stood up for Chikara, but an irate King tells him to stop living in the past. As the video ends, however, Icarus asks him, "You still have it?" Kingston holds up the Chikara Grand Championship belt and says, "Not 'it.' Her."
"Déjà Vu" - Timeline unknown. 3.0 meet with barrister R.D. Evans, demanding to know "Where in the world is Archibald Peck?" Evans reiterates the time-travel theory surrounding Peck and his taking Eddie Kingston's "Backfist to the Future." He doesn't know where Peck is, but he suggests that 3.0 start looking in Parts Unknown.
"Where Everybody Knows Your Name" - Timeline unknown. Set at the Fujiwara ArmBar, Blind Rage is briefly glimpsed ignoring a call from Icarus. The Colony arrives, looking for leads on Soldier Ant, and get into an angry altercation with UltraMantis Black. Accusations are thrown around, and at the end, Fire Ant reveals that they don't trust AssailANT.
"History" - November/December 2013. Icarus goes to a library, where he confronts UltraMantis Black about his loyalties to Chikara's ideals, though Mantis seems unwilling to help him.
"Solitude" - December 2013. Somewhere in Parts Unknown, 3.0 trudge through winter frigidness to find a barn, and knock on the door.
"Fuel" - January 2014. AssailANT and Jervis Cottonbelly train/spar at the Wrestle Factory, before DeviANT and the Colony XTREME Force walk in. As CXF kidnap Jervis, DeviANT produces a can of fuel and a lighter.
"Flood" - January 2014. Picking up immediately where "Fuel" left off, AssailANT refuses to help DeviANT, saying he just wanted to earn respect, not burn down Chikara. AssailANT fights the CXF's Arctic Rescue Ant to a standstill, but then has his mask torn by DeviANT, who tells him "a flood is coming" and warns him to know which side he's on when it comes.

Wrestling Is... Ragnarok?

So we've had "Chikarmageddon" with the company closing down in June 2013 for reasons we still haven't gotten an answer for. All those Wrestling Is companies have started dying out as well. Each one has been targeted by a villainous group with some vague ties to Chikara and the Eye of Tyr or Titor Conglomerate, leading some fans to dub them the "Ghosts of Rudos Past."

In September 2013, Wrestling Is Intense got a threatening tweet from GEKIDO a week before their show. Following the main event, GEKIDO's 17, CombatANT (in a neck brace), and DeviANT stormed the ring and injured the two wrestlers from the match and threatened to do the same unless Intense's head honcho shut the company down. Reluctantly, he did so.

In October, Wrestling Is Awesome was the focus of a threatening YouTube video from Kaiju Big Battel's Dr. Cube. After the main event, Dr. Cube and several members of his Posse stormed the ring, stealing Awesome's new title belt (which supposedly had a lot of the company's money tied up in it), and then stealing the gate money as well. Due to the theft and lack of funds, Awesome had to shut down.

In November, Wrestling Is Art was mentioned in a threatening Facebook post from 'Kizarny' Sinn Bodhi. On the day of the show, a picture surfaced of Bodhi (in a clown mask) speaking with Art's head honcho. Of note, Bodhi had a box in which he claimed to have the Eye of Tyr. Following the main event, Bodhi came out, accompanied by Oliver Grimsley and Qefka the Quiet (collectively called the Odditorium), and revealed that he had purchased the company, then shut it down.

In December, Wrestling Is Cool was threatened in a YouTube video from the BDK, allegedly from Ares in his old BDK face-mask. On the day, in the midst of a snowstorm, Cool's head honcho, Milo Schnitzler revealed himself to be a member of the BDK, attacking ring announcer Gavin Loudspeaker and killing power to the microphone. 'Ares' emerged from the back in his mask, accompanied by another masked, horned figure later identified as Nøkken. Cool shut down soon after.

In January 2014, GEKIDO and Dr. Cube both issued threats to Wrestling Is Fun. In response, Icarus tried to rally support from members of the Fun roster and other former Chikara wrestlers. Many turned him down or refused to help, but he did get agreements to assist from Dasher Hatfield and the Estonian Thunderfrog. On the day, both Hatfield and Thunderfrog were the targets of more severe-than-usual beatdowns from the Batiri and the Polar Baron's Bloc Party respectively. Sidney Bakabella's Wrecking Crew, who'd been involved in the beating to Thunderfrog and the Baltic Siege, were thrown out along with the Bloc Party, with Bakabella stealing the gate as well. The show went on, and during the main event, GEKIDO (17 & CombatANT) & Dr. Cube's Posse stormed into the building, but were headed off by Icarus, Thunderfrog, and Hatfield. Dr. Cube grabbed a microphone and declared, "Very well, Icarus, we shall RESPECT your wishes." GEKIDO & the Posse left.

However, the next day, they returned to attack Wrestling Is Respect instead. When they appeared after the conclusion of the main event, the tecnicos filled up the ring, followed soon by Bakabella's Wrecking Crew. The Crew soon turned on everyone else, beating them down, while GEKIDO & Dr. Cube tore down the Wrestling Is Respect banners and killed the company. Bakabella revealed shortly after the conclusion of the event that he had made a deal with Dr. Cube for money.

As of January 21, 2014, this leaves only Wrestling Is Heart and Wrestling Is Fun. As Heart has not held any shows since October and has not announced any more since then, some fans are considering Heart to be dead as well.

Anything worth noting about Chikara's dead/not-dead status can be posted here in this thread, so as to not clutter up the regular Indies thread (which is about active companies).

Jay 2K Winger fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Chikara going back to just being a wrestling school that shows would be cool.

Chikara going back to doing kid friendly shows would be.

I don't see these current viral hints as being indicators that that's going to happen.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

coconono posted:

Chikara going back to just being a wrestling school that shows would be cool.

I don't see these current viral hints as being indicators that that's going to happen.

Yeah, neither do I. Although Chikara never STOPPED doing kid-friendly shows.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has Quack said anything one way or another? Has Quack even appeared since that last show?

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

coconono posted:

Man, totally! The fun, kid friendly multi-generational atmosphere made the shows fun and the crowds fun and was part of what kept my interest in live east coast indy wrestling after EVOLVE grew stale for me. If we're gonna go and stretch the comic analogy, it's sort of reminding me of the whole tentative stabs at darker and edgier comics went into in the 90s.

I think a lot of this ARGish stuff would have been okay if it was all released more often, more openly, or closer together.

Also, from talking to a bunch of people with "I am Chikara" shirts at the Wrestling Is Cool event a bunch of them didn't think it was a petition so much as "leave your contact information" in some sort of "first to know about stuff/ people to help spread the word" type deal.

Also, I miss Jakob Hammermeir and UMB.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

rotinaj posted:

Has Quack said anything one way or another? Has Quack even appeared since that last show?

After Quack's last Chikara appearance at WrestleCon, he was "fired" from Chikara by Wink Vavasseur. The only involvement he had in the storyline leading up to Chikara's closure was he gave Sabato the "controversial" photo that was tweeted out. (A photo later proven to be Photoshopped.)

Quack changed his Twitter bio to remove wrestler, and he hasn't given any statements about it.

One of the going theories about Chikara's closure is that he's getting divorced from his wife, and that she got the rights to Chikara out of it, so out of spite, he shut it down. But then, it seems to be A Thing to circulate dubious stories about Quack's sperglord nerdrage, so that may or may not be true.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Is there any actual reason to believe this isn't just a giant work and he hasn't said otherwise because of his hilarious dedication to kayfabe? I feel like even entertaining the notion that Chikara is dead and won't be back in less than a year is crazy.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

oatgan posted:

Is there any actual reason to believe this isn't just a giant work and he hasn't said otherwise because of his hilarious dedication to kayfabe? I feel like even entertaining the notion that Chikara is dead and won't be back in less than a year is crazy.

I feel like pretending a company is dead for multiple months is also crazy. Sure, there was an initial buzz after the iPPV, but it's pretty much dissipated by this point and they aren't going to get new fans by pretending the company is dead.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Yeah I have no idea why you would pretend your company is dead and cancel events, unless you're a crazy person.

I assume Quack is a crazy person.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Quack admitted on AOW that he's OCD, and it wouldn't surprise me if he had was suffering from other illnesses as well. It'd explain why he's rather protective of Turtle (aside from basic human decency telling you that mocking people with autism is not cool).

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

They're obviously not dead in the traditional sense since there's obviously an angle leading somewhere, although who the gently caress knows how it's going to develop at this juncture. I'm willing to give them a chance again if they come back, but I really no longer can give much of a gently caress about the ARG stuff.

Now, if the divorce rumors are true, they might be getting rebranded as a "new" company or something.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
If you didn't see it in the indy thread, this is a thing:

http://theashesof.com/

In my mind, this confirms that, yes, CHIKARA had to shut down, either because of legal reasons or financial. However, they're still alive and this, quite literally, is the ashes.

Whether the Titor storyline and Icarus' rally and Kingston's heeling is all connected to it remains to be seen.

Pakelika
May 13, 2005

Work It! Thats Right! Awwww Yeah!
So the logo leads to this

http://seenive.com/u/961754907554234368

Which just seems to be a way to view the AshesOf Vine page, via the PC, and not using an app.

Let's hope this goes better than their last ARG.

Pakelika fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 23, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I want Chikara to be dead for the hilarity of Eddie Kingston being the only champion.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Wrestling is Fun is debuting in Reading sometime soon. The roster is as close as CHIKARA as any of the Wrestling Is companies get and they get the biggest crowds (although that aint saying much I know). Honestly, they should just focus on those shows and try to rebuild the fanbase from there. If a few more bigger names work those shows and they get some more constant storylines going, it wouldn't be so bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Yeah, neither do I. Although Chikara never STOPPED doing kid-friendly shows.

minicoco is my weathervane for kid-friendly. He tuned out during the really bad iPPV. When your plots can't be broken down into a 30 second recap, you've stopped being kid friendly.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Other WI companies popped up in various territories later-- Cool, Heart, Intense, Art, Respect, and Awesome. Naturally, fans pointed out that the first letter of all those companies (after the Wrestling Is, anyway) spells out C-H-I-_-A-R-A, and Kaiju Big Battel has some notable ties to Chikara. Louden Noxious, Kaiju's announcer, was Chikara's ring announcer, as "Gavin Loudspeaker." Dr. Cube was involved in a story arc, and he also recently got his hands on the mystical Eye of Tyr artifact that first popped up in Chikara.

To add to this, Bryce Remsburg is now the head referee at Kaiju. He has an AMAZING mustache now.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

After Quack's last Chikara appearance at WrestleCon, he was "fired" from Chikara by Wink Vavasseur. The only involvement he had in the storyline leading up to Chikara's closure was he gave Sabato the "controversial" photo that was tweeted out. (A photo later proven to be Photoshopped.)

Quack changed his Twitter bio to remove wrestler, and he hasn't given any statements about it.

One of the going theories about Chikara's closure is that he's getting divorced from his wife, and that she got the rights to Chikara out of it, so out of spite, he shut it down. But then, it seems to be A Thing to circulate dubious stories about Quack's sperglord nerdrage, so that may or may not be true.

iirc, Quack did say his last match was april 6th on his twitter...

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

On his most recent Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe podcast, around the 23 minute mark, Quack issued the following statement: "My wife has never had any ownership or control over the company Chikara, Incorporated. For more than seven years she's supported the creative endeavors of Chikara whole-heartedly. And anything out there to the contrary that is being implied is misinformation and any claims to the contrary are lies. So anybody perpetuating stuff like that - please stop. Enough of that."

So, there's that. Take that for what you will.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

So we're stuck with the original story, which was Chikara ran out of monies? And that all this stuff is just some convoluted story to say, "sorry we ran out of money but we might come back?"

Quack is so loving obtuse.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I never really believed the wife thing, but it did make sense. I'm having a hard time believing something major didn't happen, besides a lack of money.

I mean, you'd think if it were that simple, that it wouldn't make sense to just go completely dark only to reemerge as an entirely new brand/promotion months later, presumably this ASHES thing. Even if it was meant as some kind of elaborate storyline.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jay 2K Winger posted:

On his most recent Grizzly Bear Egg Cafe podcast, around the 23 minute mark, Quack issued the following statement

Dude's already working the internet, so why should I trust his word on this?

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
ISW needs to bring in Quack's ex-wife as Heel GM Pre-nup AgreemANT.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

coconono posted:

So we're stuck with the original story, which was Chikara ran out of monies? And that all this stuff is just some convoluted story to say, "sorry we ran out of money but we might come back?"

Quack is so loving obtuse.

Is it that hard to believe this dumb story has been the master plan all along and there's no ulterior motive?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oatgan posted:

Is it that hard to believe this dumb story has been the master plan all along and there's no ulterior motive?

uh, yeah. That would make Quack into Dixie and Russo's love child from the future.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

coconono posted:

uh, yeah. That would make Quack into Dixie and Russo's love child from the future.

It just seems like the culmination of Chikara getting further and further up its own rear end every year that the die hards will proclaim was brilliant storytelling when it's all said and done

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OmegaBR posted:

I never really believed the wife thing, but it did make sense.

Really? I mean, if you're a divorce judge and you're thinking "What would Solomon do?" would you really take the husband's means of actually producing any alimony (a job he's presumably skilled at) and give it to the wife (who presumably isn't)? Sounds like cutting the baby in half to me.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

So now Quackenbush or one of his WrestleMinions started up a new Twitter account, @Wrestle_Factory, which ties in with that "Ashes" series. It lists "theashesof.com" as its website, and from the three tweets it's made so far, it seems to be acting as if the Wrestle Factory were just getting started.

Given Quack's inability to not turn anything and everything into a work, I'd lay even money on this being somehow related to the whole Archibald Peck time travel nonsense and Chikara's now trapped in a time loop or something.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Jay 2K Winger posted:

So now Quackenbush or one of his WrestleMinions started up a new Twitter account, @Wrestle_Factory, which ties in with that "Ashes" series. It lists "theashesof.com" as its website, and from the three tweets it's made so far, it seems to be acting as if the Wrestle Factory were just getting started.

Given Quack's inability to not turn anything and everything into a work, I'd lay even money on this being somehow related to the whole Archibald Peck time travel nonsense and Chikara's now trapped in a time loop or something.

Someone needs to tell Quack that Twitter didn't exist yet.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Annnd I posted about that Twitter on the 101 board, and LFC (now back in admin position there) just confirmed it's a fake after talking with some people at the actual Wrestle Factory.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So...did Quack have his talent sign non-disclosure agreements to prevent them from spoiling the angle? Or did he have them sign the agreements to prevent them from talking about his marital situation? Both?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

So...did Quack have his talent sign non-disclosure agreements to prevent them from spoiling the angle? Or did he have them sign the agreements to prevent them from talking about his marital situation? Both?

I'm 90% sure it was because of the former.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Umbra Dubium posted:

Really? I mean, if you're a divorce judge and you're thinking "What would Solomon do?" would you really take the husband's means of actually producing any alimony (a job he's presumably skilled at) and give it to the wife (who presumably isn't)? Sounds like cutting the baby in half to me.

That wasn't the story. The story was the wife bankrolled CHIKARA and was the actual owner of the company. If CHIKARA is actually dead I wouldn't be surprised if this is a "truth is somewhere in the middle" situation and she was bankrolling it, and when she stopped, CHIKARA stopped. From there spawned lots of fun rumors.

Tiny penis.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

This is Quack setting up a flashback. Now they can explain 17, Shard and the rest right from the beginning.

This is Quack doing a season of Lost.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

This is Quack setting up a flashback. Now they can explain 17, Shard and the rest right from the beginning.

My immersion will be destroyed if fans don't show up wearing time-appropriate pop-culture shirts.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That would actually be really cool. I thought 17 was an intriguing character.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Renaissance Spam posted:

My immersion will be destroyed if fans don't show up wearing time-appropriate pop-culture shirts.

Don't tempt them! wolf moon shirts as far the eye can see.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

So the No Private Army conspiracy blog (which is known to be part of the viral storyline about Titor/Condor/WMDCorp) put up a new post today.

It talks about an island supposedly used as a site where biological weapons were created and so on.

Two lines in particular have been pointed out by fans:

No Private Army blog posted:

Will the island then be at peace or will new horrors arise from the ashes of the former masters? (Emphasis mine. -J2K)

No Private Army blog posted:

In the end, nothing ends. Nothing ever ends. (Emphasis theirs. -J2K)

Stop trying to be coy, Quack, and just come right out and say it, for crying out loud.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the back of my mind, I'm thinking this is a ploy to stop running shows for 8 months to save the company money and then re-launch next spring for King of Trios. The ECW Arena should be reopened by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Coincidentally, "Nothing ends. Nothing ever ends," is a pretty big line from Watchmen, which Chikara's been referencing like crazy in the past year.

EugeneJ posted:

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking this is a ploy to stop running shows for 8 months to save the company money and then re-launch next spring for King of Trios. The ECW Arena should be reopened by then.

I was thinking the big launch/relaunch would be during National Pro Wrestling Day, but I could see that too.

• Locked thread