Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

coconono posted:

That they do but what is it with hardcore labels and not wanting to be on iTunes or some other digital distro service?

Too expensive compared to the volume they move probably.

As it is, actual big popular artists don't really make much off of itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Not "most likely"--

Also, Wink Vavasseur recently broke his Twitter silence following Aniversario, and has been responding to some tweets from Chikara fans, even expressing his regret about what happened--

These comments drew fans to ask him to prove his change of heart by helping Icarus, which Wink seems to be getting ready to do.

And then last night, he dropped some bombshells--

These bombshells, coupled with Tim Donst's medicated behavior in the latest "Ashes" video, definitely indicates things are building to something. We may see what it is on Saturday at FDR Skatepark in Philly.

Oh god they are still using the white supremacist tie ins. gently caress off CHIKARA, stay dead.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Ahahaha training those vanilla midgets to be a white supremacist domestic terrorist force made out of ants, iced creams, and autistic turtles was the Master Plan

Killin browns with arm drags

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Can we call Homeland Security to get these domestic terrorists shut down?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

oatgan posted:

Ahahaha training those vanilla midgets to be a white supremacist domestic terrorist force made out of ants, iced creams, and autistic turtles was the Master Plan

Killin browns with arm drags

Well if he ever gets released maybe Damien Sandow can go back to being a colonel.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Can't wait for Chikara to come back so I can watch a comedy trios match where a bunch of guys play duck duck goose or w/e immediately followed by a dork with bad hair wrestling against some guy who thought turning this wrestling school into a training center for an Aryan brotherhood PMC was a sound investment.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Chikara proud to announce the newest trainers at the wrestlefactory: The Harris Twins

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oatgan posted:

Can't wait for Chikara to come back so I can watch a comedy trios match where a bunch of guys play duck duck goose or w/e immediately followed by a dork with bad hair wrestling against some guy who thought turning this wrestling school into a training center for an Aryan brotherhood PMC was a sound investment.

if you've read Dr. Doom #65 you'd know that this is going places

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Poorly photoshopping your heel authority figure and a backdrop referencing a white supremacist cult into a photo of real life politicians is a really horrible way to further a silly angle and I'm in no way going to defend that. I honestly don't see a problem with depicting the evil corporation that kayfabe runs the company as a truly evil company rather than one that simply doesn't like Eddie Kingston though.

I still have absolutely no interest in the ARG stuff outside of reading a synopsis in this thread.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 30, 2013

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Family Friendly Wrestling The Way Wrestling Should Be

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The Christian Identity/Aryan Brotherhood imagery of the BDK wasn't enough so we're going to try it again but go all-in this time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

These bombshells, coupled with Tim Donst's medicated behavior in the latest "Ashes" video, definitely indicates things are building to something. We may see what it is on Saturday at FDR Skatepark in Philly.

The anti-Chikara posts are kicking in a bit more than usual, so that's an omen that something big should be happening soon.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

oatgan posted:

Can't wait for Chikara to come back so I can watch a comedy trios match where a bunch of guys play duck duck goose

I loved that match so much though. That was exactly what made CHIKARA awesome.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DM Punk posted:

I loved that match so much though. That was exactly what made CHIKARA awesome.

I wasn't criticizing that match merely the juxtaposition of all-ages comedy match stuff like that (the thing that really set CHIKARA apart from most indies) with war criminals and the oklahoma city bombing.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 30, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This will all make sense in hindsight when it's revealed that the ARG was actually part of a larger scheme being perpetrated by Mirror Universe Mike Quackenbush to gain control of Chikara, who will then presumably lose control following a Chikara-on-a-pole match with the real one.

wcwchris
Jun 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Oh god they are still using the white supremacist tie ins. gently caress off CHIKARA, stay dead.

Jeez, it's not like they are the good guys. They are evil villains. What's different from using Germans after WWII as heels? The pussification of the planet has made it where you can't even have truly evil bad guys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Evil bad guys" in the context of family-friendly Chikara is much better interpreted as a Saturday morning cartoon "they want to rule the world" or "they want to unmask the hero" rather than primetime TV "they are private military racists." Even if you assume they want to get more serious about their storylines, that just raises the whole question of whether political statements really have a place being made through the medium of a jack-o-lantern grappling with an internet troll.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

wcwchris posted:

Jeez, it's not like they are the good guys. They are evil villains. What's different from using Germans after WWII as heels? The pussification of the planet has made it where you can't even have truly evil bad guys.

It's a hard tonal shift from "Hey there we got some guys dressed as Ants and a dude who's head is a baseball" to " Literal Neo Nazis are taking over."

Like The Care Bears meet Derek Vinyard and are forced to bite the curb.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Also this angle killed Chikara and they refuse to accept it. And by killing Chikara they took away my yearly fix of trios tournaments.

I will never forget this Mike Quakenbush.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some other promotion should do King of Trios instead - like how AIW did TPI when IWA Mid-South went out of business

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

EugeneJ posted:

Some other promotion should do King of Trios instead - like how AIW did TPI when IWA Mid-South went out of business

I think on Facebook Cordeiro asked if Beyond should do Kings and Queens of Trios, so maybe that'll go down

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Evil bad guys" in the context of family-friendly Chikara is much better interpreted as a Saturday morning cartoon "they want to rule the world" or "they want to unmask the hero" rather than primetime TV "they are private military racists." Even if you assume they want to get more serious about their storylines, that just raises the whole question of whether political statements really have a place being made through the medium of a jack-o-lantern grappling with an internet troll.

I'm fine with it because it's not like those kind of badguys are absent from various Saturday morning cartoons. Gargoyles spent their last season fighting a threat that was very obviously the Klu Klux Klan. The X-Men were regularly targeted by genocidal racists and the second episode ends with Xavier mentally forcing Magneto to relive the Holocaust (which was an extremely hosed up thing for a superhero to do, but whatever). The Justice League cartoon had a 3-parter about going back in time and fighting in World War II, which included various creepy close-ups of Hitler. Phineas and Ferb did a Marvel crossover a few months ago and the main villain was the Red Skull, whose entire deal is that he's a Nazi. Even Captain Planet once fought Hitler.

My only real problem with the link is that if they're supposed to be part of or in relation to some racist sect, it doesn't make sense that there are a bunch of black dudes as part of Condor Security.

Looking at Wink's recent Twitter feed, one minor story thing I dig is that Titor has been helping Gekido from the beginning and have footed all of their Quack-induced medical bills. The reason Wink switched up the ant teams is because assailANT was considered the weakest member of Gekido and they wanted a quiet way to remove him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

wcwchris posted:

If you can't see why tie ins to Waco, the Oklahoma City bombing, white nationalism and militias in the overarching story of CHIKARA is really stupid I don't know what to tell you. The third season of Gargoyles was really bad and the Quarrymen were lame villains without half of the real world tie in of this.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Speaking of Gargoyles, the series' creator explicitly retconned out the entire third season with the 2006 comic (although the license got priced out of the publisher's reach by Disney in 2009) being the canon continuation of the show.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's a hard tonal shift from "Hey there we got some guys dressed as Ants and a dude who's head is a baseball" to " Literal Neo Nazis are taking over."

Like The Care Bears meet Derek Vinyard and are forced to bite the curb.

Yeah, it's a really weird tonal shift.

Ok, remember when Chikara was gonna have that beat-em-up video game, and the plot was something like "The Great & Devious Ultramantis Black is using magic and mad science to raise an army of all of Chikara's rudos and you have to stop them!"? That sort of motivation would be totally within the tone of the company in general. Even money-grubbing megacoporations and shodowy Cobra Commander like world conquering wouldn't be that far off. But making explicit tie ins to Oklahoma City or white power groups is crossing a pretty specific line-- it's like how getting heel heat by saying or doing racist things is cheap because it cheapens an already awful thing and is an no-talent-required way to get heat.

Either here or on the 101 boards I mentioned that the shakeup was reminding me of a lot of superhero comics in the 90s-- going "extreme" or "grim & gritty" just for the sake of shaking things up. I didn't really see the grim & gritty part until the went back to this shoddy Waco-like conspiracy stuff, and that makes me disappointed.

I can deal with the whole taking a breather, recollecting, build up the Wrestling Is... etc ideas behind the storyline. BUt all this grimdark nonsense is jarring and out of place. I just wanna watch family friendly wrestlemans, y'all.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'm also left thinking of The New 52 (DC Comics)... ehhh.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

If you can't see why tie ins to Waco, the Oklahoma City bombing, white nationalism and militias in the overarching story of CHIKARA is really stupid I don't know what to tell you.

You're making it sound like they're opening a can of worms when all they're doing is showing you the can of worms. As it is right now, they're using Elohim as a background detail to say, "These guys are really evil." I highly doubt they're going to be delving into any of the real life horrors, especially with how the white nationalism concept doesn't jibe with of the more prominent members of Condor Security being black. It's window dressing. Eddie Kingston isn't going to be cutting promos about the Oklahoma City bombing just like Dr. Cube doesn't cut promos about exterminating the Jews.

I have various problems with the current Chikara stuff, but I don't find this aspect really all that offensive. Not unless they have 17 unmask and he's Timothy McVeigh all along or something.

Chortles posted:

Whoa. Let's not say anything we can't take back.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Chortles posted:

I feel like there's a tie-in joke about Quack's divorce somewhere in here, but hell if I can drag it out.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

SirDippingSauce posted:

Yeah, it's a really weird tonal shift.

Ok, remember when Chikara was gonna have that beat-em-up video game...

Funny you should mention that. The developers of that game were Rogue Brains, let's see what we have here...

http://titorconglomerate.com/titor/portfolio.html

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Gavok posted:

You're making it sound like they're opening a can of worms when all they're doing is showing you the can of worms. As it is right now, they're using Elohim as a background detail to say, "These guys are really evil." I highly doubt they're going to be delving into any of the real life horrors, especially with how the white nationalism concept doesn't jibe with of the more prominent members of Condor Security being black. It's window dressing. Eddie Kingston isn't going to be cutting promos about the Oklahoma City bombing just like Dr. Cube doesn't cut promos about exterminating the Jews.

I have various problems with the current Chikara stuff, but I don't find this aspect really all that offensive. Not unless they have 17 unmask and he's Timothy McVeigh all along or something.

stan

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

His name was... it was you!

:drat:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

There are other ways to say a group is evil than in this incredibly stupid way. Is this supposed to be a serious storyline? Who could take such a back story seriously? Is this family friendly goofball fun? I guess there were families at Waco.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

There are other ways to say a group is evil than in this incredibly stupid way. Is this supposed to be a serious storyline? Who could take such a back story seriously? Is this family friendly goofball fun?

It's somewhere in-between? Is that allowed? I mean, this is a business that set up its biggest show of the year with a story where a man dumped "ashes" of a guy who is actually dead onto a zombie wizard's face. Was that supposed to be a serious storyline? Who could take such a story seriously? Was that family friendly goofball fun?

quote:

I guess there were families at Waco.

I'm sure there were and I can't wait for Gavin Loudspeaker to dedicate twenty minutes of commentary time to it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gavok posted:

It's somewhere in-between? Is that allowed? I mean, this is a business that set up its biggest show of the year with a story where a man dumped "ashes" of a guy who is actually dead onto a zombie wizard's face. Was that supposed to be a serious storyline? Who could take such a story seriously? Was that family friendly goofball fun?

I'm sure there were and I can't wait for Gavin Loudspeaker to dedicate twenty minutes of commentary time to it.

Disrespecting the memory of a dead friend is far more believable than evil corporation with domestic terror ties trains ants for paramilitary purposes. It is a hybrid of the worst of mid 90s wrestlers with second jobs and Russo edginess.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MassRafTer posted:

Can you quickly explain this to me? Is it basically the Titor Conglomerate is militant racists?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

achillesforever6 posted:

Can you quickly explain this to me? Is it basically the Titor Conglomerate is militant racists?

That seems to be the implication. That the Titor board of directors and/or investors are all involved in that kind of activity.

I don't really understand why they're taking the CHIKARA metaplot storylines in that direction, nor the whole "shut down the company for months" aspect of it, but at this point, I just hope we get to some kind of endgame soon and either definitively end the company, or reopen it and get the Titor angle over with as soon as possible, because while I still like Chikara (or at least its wrestlers), the current metaplot angle is getting increasingly hard to stomach.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Elohim City is a community of white Christian nationalists in Oklahoma. It's not even a city where many live, it was founded exclusively to be a community of such people.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

it's relatively unknown even by residents here in Oklahoma so I'm not really sure how it turned up in the saturday morning cartoon wrestling promotion, or really anywhere for that matter

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oatgan posted:

it's relatively unknown even by residents here in Oklahoma so I'm not really sure how it turned up in the saturday morning cartoon wrestling promotion, or really anywhere for that matter

obscure references are their bread and butter. Just how deep does this CHIKARA rabbit hole go :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

The Shaman of Cum posted:

obscure references are their bread and butter. Just how deep does this CHIKARA rabbit hole go :)

RaHoWa, you just gotta follow the clues man.

R = 18, A = 1; 1+8+1 = 10

H = 8, O = 15; 1+5+8 = 14

W = 23, A = 1; 2+3+1 = 6

10+14-6 = 18

Chikara's Grand Champion has been Eddie Kingston who was the first target of the evil racist megacorp. He's also been their only champion but he was taken out.

18-1 = 17

In other words...

Gavok posted:

they have 17 unmask and he's Timothy McVeigh all along

So many little details and clues for all the Chikarmy to follow. Chikara is brilliant.

• Locked thread