Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Personally, I never understood how this was the story of a "war" against loving anybody. I kept expecting the story to get serious business but it feels far too episodic for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's not possible. I just got off Tessie and died to a Gruff Goat right away and it brings you back to the spot Tessie drops you off at when you continue.

I have no idea how I did it then. Maybe my whole childhood is a lie :psyduck:

I guess I may have used a game genie with walk through walls cheats on but that seems ludicrous when I could just have turned on a code for tons of cash. I was 100% positive that I had done that before this morning, but now I don't know what to think at all anymore.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
I once tried to save up money for the T-Rex Bat by farming Spiteful Crows for Cookies and selling them at 3$ a piece. :negative:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
When I was young and dumb, I spent a good three months stuck in Magicant because I didn't realize the Casey Bat was a piece of poo poo. I can't remember how I finally figured it out, whether I looked at an FAQ or what, but I found another, less terrible bat I'd put in storage and was on my way in about ten minutes. :downs:

Cranapple Kid
Jan 13, 2012

Eggie posted:

I once tried to save up money for the T-Rex Bat by farming Spiteful Crows for Cookies and selling them at 3$ a piece. :negative:

I did this stupid thing once when I was a kid. I think I found out part way through that the Runaway Dogs drop bread rolls way more often than the Onett ones, and those sell for like double what a cookie does. Which isn't much but I felt so smart when I discovered that. "It's going to take half the time!" I thought to myself.

That bat really wasn't all that worth it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Why would anyone grind for that bat? :psyduck: It was really clear they were just teasing those midgame items.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Why would anyone grind for that bat? :psyduck: It was really clear they were just teasing those midgame items.

Did you think like this when you were 10?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

ETB posted:

Did you think like this when you were 10?

"A T-Rex Bat?! That's so cool! I want it!" - Me, age 10

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I still have my original earthbound cart, but it doesn't work. It rattles inside and if you plug it into a SNES and breath too loud next to it, it goes to poo poo. That said, as I do technically own the game, I've beaten it about three times on an emulator. I can assure anyone who thinks they're missing out on anything by playing a ROM is mistaken. If anything, its better. Hell, you can use save-states. You can grind like crazy with a frame skip button. I've left onett at level 30 before. I don't like to use crappy filters (sai, eagle) but using the ones that emulate the look at feel of a CRT television (rgb, composite, etc) really add to the effect.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I played Earthbound to completion via SNES in 1995 and then like 10 more times on ZSNES over a decade, and I can definitively declare that Always Play Earthbound

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Starring and following this thread since the Mother series has been my absolute favorite for over a decade, and I'm happy to help however needed since there are a lot of new people having a chance to play it for the first time.

EDIT: I always go for either the banana or mint frames. You all?

Vrikkian fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 26, 2013

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

HarveyVdarski posted:

Personally, I never understood how this was the story of a "war" against loving anybody. I kept expecting the story to get serious business but it feels far too episodic for that.

Did you play through to the end?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Getting mushroomed is the worst.

Stupid controls Ahhhhh

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Stupid controls Ahhhhh

I always liked it. My dad would get confused while I was holding my SNES controller upside down. "I've been mushroomed and I still need to walk straight!"

He must have thought I was on drugs.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Stupid controls Ahhhhh

But think of the $50 profit!

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Vrikkian posted:

Starring and following this thread since the Mother series has been my absolute favorite for over a decade, and I'm happy to help however needed since there are a lot of new people having a chance to play it for the first time.

EDIT: I always go for either the banana or mint frames. You all?

Peanut.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HarveyVdarski posted:

That's a reference to all those lovely 50's sci-fi movies.

I'm so loving pumped that this came out. Earthbound is my favorite game of all time, I've beaten it once a year since I bought it for $250 on ebay five years ago. I used my first three paychecks to pay for it. poo poo, I used to post on Starmen.net back in the old days before it was a steaming pile of poo poo.

Now I need to buy a WiiU. :negative:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bottle rockets are overpowered as poo poo :drat: Jesus Christ. I remember them being stupid strong as a kid but holy moley.

Here's how my fight with Starman Deluxe went:
1. Paula PSI shield sigma
2. Jeff multi-bottle rocket
3. Poo punch
4. N- YOU WON!!

Every boss battle before that using the lesser versions of the bottle rocket has had pretty loving crazy results. Their cost is negligible, all they take up is space, which you get plenty of if you know how to use the delivery service.

I feel like I'm cheating myself out of the boss fights but god drat gently caress that dude, if you don't end it fast it will quickly become a clusterfuck of Starmen Supers.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 26, 2013

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
This is a well-crafted, charming video game. In NO other game in my youth was I ever tempted to seek out and talk to EVERY single NPC just because they all had interesting or funny things to say. This is the only one.

Also, mint-flavored windows for life.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Ascetic Crow posted:

poo poo, I used to post on Starmen.net back in the old days before it was a steaming pile of poo poo.

poo poo, I used to be a moderator there back in the day in like 2004. MogOfGlory, if anyone can remember that far back.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rogue Lemon posted:

This is a well-crafted, charming video game. In NO other game in my youth was I ever tempted to seek out and talk to EVERY single NPC just because they all had interesting or funny things to say. This is the only one.

Also, mint-flavored windows for life.

It's really cool that there's a lot of people trying this game out for the first time, and the general consensus from what I've seen on Facebook, here, and the internet in general is "Why the hell haven't I heard of this awesome as gently caress game?"

I mean, it's brutally hard, but save states put a really nifty band-aid over that problem and the only other major problems the game has are all the walking it makes you do and the extremely limited inventory.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's really cool that there's a lot of people trying this game out for the first time, and the general consensus from what I've seen on Facebook, here, and the internet in general is "Why the hell haven't I heard of this awesome as gently caress game?"

I mean, it's brutally hard, but save states put a really nifty band-aid over that problem and the only other major problems the game has are all the walking it makes you do and the extremely limited inventory.

Wait, Earthbound is easy. How did you have any problems? :confused:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Well, it's hard in the sense that you can't just go from point to point without preparing yourself adequately, whether by supplies or grinding levels. I think most people are used to their RPGs offering little resistance in their quest to go to the next story segment.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I don't know. I'm used to raising yourself at least five levels every time you enter a new town, so it may be easier for me.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

"3 levels for every boss" was the rule of thumb I lived by in all JRPGs from the SNES to the PS2 era and it served me well in Earthbound.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I was someone mentioning the difficulty in the Wii U thread. From what I gathered it sounds like there is some grinding to be expected which I wasn't doing. Obviously grinding in these sorts of games and especially during that era of gaming isn't very uncommon, but the story was flowing so well and I was able to buy upgrades so I didn't realize I should be grinding until I got to a boss that would two-shot me.

It's certainly gotten easier now that I know what to expect, but I wouldn't say it's an easy game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ascetic Crow posted:

Wait, Earthbound is easy. How did you have any problems? :confused:

What? The game isn't easy at all, by today's standards at least. Even if you're well prepared a normal battle can get completely out of control in a hurry.

Enemies can call other enemies for help, most enemies in the second half of the game have "kill entire party" attacks or instant KOs, and you're expected to grind quite a bit.

Pretty much everything in the game has a chance to fail, miss, or be super effective, if you get a few bad dice rolls and enemies get a few good ones you're either looking at a gameover screen or a long trudge back to a safehouse (most likely through more difficult enemies that are almost impossible to escape or avoid).

If you're like most goons here and you're playing through it for the 18th time out of love, of course you're going to know all the tricks but for someone new the game is a loving nightmare.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Iron Prince posted:

poo poo, I used to be a moderator there back in the day in like 2004. MogOfGlory, if anyone can remember that far back.

I remember you. Everdraed, too. Hell, I was hanging around there back when there was still some semblance of hope for Earthbound 64 to come out. Was Earthbound.net back then. Christ, that's been ages.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hell, the crows in the very first area of the game can take a 3rd of your health with one attack. The dogs can do almost half, but your dog does a much better job of distracting them than he does with those drat crows.

And they steal your goddamn cookies. gently caress crows.

Edit: Thinking about combat in Earthbound reminded me of one of the most endearing things about it: The enemies won't always just attack you. Sometimes they waste a turn barking, grinning, laughing, being absent-minded, etc. Sometimes they'll do weird poo poo like the hippie using a toothbrush or the unassuming local child molester man becoming warm and affectionate, both creeping you the gently caress out and making you freeze up for a turn or two.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 26, 2013

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Earthbound is hard if you don't grind. Sorry, you need to grind. If you haven't grinded by the time you reach the mole cave, you're completely hosed. Theres five big moles!!

EDIT: And the ant guys and snakes in the cave poison you every other fuckin battle.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Earthbound is hard if you don't grind. Sorry, you need to grind. If you haven't grinded by the time you reach the mole cave, you're completely hosed. Theres five big moles!!

EDIT: And the ant guys and snakes in the cave poison you every other fuckin battle.

Yea I love this game and all but if you don't want to grind you're objectively going to lose, by Mole Cave if you haven't at least done a bit of grinding you just can't continue.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The game sometimes throws you grind machines though. Whenever you run into big packs of weak rear end enemies? (slugs, :siren:fobbies:siren:, etc.) that's your cue to stay put and slaughter hordes of those dudes. You will level up crazy fast until you're not leveling up so crazy fast, and then you move on. you can grind fobbies until you're at 70 though it's kind of loving nuts

Even with all the level ups though, you don't become a god or anything. Enemies are extremely good at catch-up, and even when they fall behind plenty of late game enemies have wonderful attacks such as "Mook gave Ness a weird look. Ness is dead."

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 26, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Luckily grinding is pretty easy in Earthbound. Most major dungeons have a spot where a magic butterfly can spawn. It has a chance to spawn every time you enter the area it's in so you can exit and re-enter that area to effectively have infinite free MP recovery. This gives you free range to use all your best PSI attacks in battles.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Even with all the level ups though, you don't become a god or anything. Enemies are extremely good at catch-up, and even when they fall behind plenty of late game enemies have wonderful attacks such as "Mook gave Ness a weird look. Ness is dead."

There are some real hard swings in the enemy difficulty in this game. Probably the worst is the Fourside department store where everything will absolutely wreck your poo poo up until you reach a fairly tame boss and you face nothing remotely that punishing until Magicant.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 26, 2013

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Bobnumerotres posted:

The game sometimes throws you grind machines though. Whenever you run into big packs of weak rear end enemies? (slugs, :siren:fobbies:siren:, etc.) that's your cue to stay put and slaughter hordes of those dudes. You will level up crazy fast until you're not leveling up so crazy fast, and then you move on.

Oh, dude. Don't even get me going about Fobbies. Master Belch's factory. Theres a room with a respawning magic butterfly. You can seriously spend an hour there and be set for the next half of the game. Those glorious little bastards attack 6-7 at a time.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
I love this game in spite of itself. I definitely felt like I was suffering the gameplay so I could enjoy the story, dialogue, music and scenery etc. It's way more tedious than any of the other SNES era RPGs I've played.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Wait, you guys actually use magic? The only time I use PSI in Earthbound is when a boss has an elemental weakness. I'm so afraid that I won't have enough MP that I just spam attacks and lifeup.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
PSI Lifeup A, B

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I love this game and all but if you don't want to grind you're objectively going to lose, by Mole Cave if you haven't at least done a bit of grinding you just can't continue.

I'm playing this for the first time, and I just got to Happy Happy Valley. I can definitely attest to this; even with a decent amount of grinding, I am getting my poo poo wrecked by the UFOs and I can't even properly heal because I get my PP drained by the plants on the way there, to say nothing of getting mushroomed or other stupid status ailments. I've heard it gets way easier as you get later in the game, but these opening parts are just straight up not fun to play. It's charming as gently caress, sure. But it's not 1995 anymore, and there are plenty of games that hit similar notes that I'd much rather be playing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ascetic Crow posted:

Wait, you guys actually use magic? The only time I use PSI in Earthbound is when a boss has an elemental weakness. I'm so afraid that I won't have enough MP that I just spam attacks and lifeup.

Yeah the game trains you to treat PSI attacks like an emergency shotgun early-on and it's a really hard habit to shake, even when you have thirty times the mana later on. The game is a lot more fun if you get a little loose with the PSI powers once you have a full party. PSI magnet omega is the most amazing move ever.

gently caress PSI Rockin Omega though it has no business costing that much.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Artix posted:

I'm playing this for the first time, and I just got to Happy Happy Valley. I can definitely attest to this; even with a decent amount of grinding, I am getting my poo poo wrecked by the UFOs and I can't even properly heal because I get my PP drained by the plants on the way there, to say nothing of getting mushroomed or other stupid status ailments. I've heard it gets way easier as you get later in the game, but these opening parts are just straight up not fun to play. It's charming as gently caress, sure. But it's not 1995 anymore, and there are plenty of games that hit similar notes that I'd much rather be playing.

In Peaceful Rest Valley, just skip all the enemies. That's the strategy I use.

Also, I don't know about you, but I've never played a game that hits the same notes as Earthbound. I've never played a game as charming as it is, not even Mother 3.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah the game trains you to treat PSI attacks like an emergency shotgun early-on and it's a really hard habit to shake, even when you have thirty times the mana later on. The game is a lot more fun if you get a little loose with the PSI powers once you have a full party. PSI magnet omega is the most amazing move ever.

gently caress PSI Rockin Omega though it has no business costing that much.

This is how I play every RPG. :shrug:

• Locked thread