Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
There's a rare spawn worm enemy you can just step on that shits like, two or three levels of XP in Dusty Dunes. The game is good about throwing you an out whenever it thinks you're going to need it, but you really should save yourself some pain and prepare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

Ascetic Crow posted:

Wait, you guys actually use magic? The only time I use PSI in Earthbound is when a boss has an elemental weakness. I'm so afraid that I won't have enough MP that I just spam attacks and lifeup.

90% of the bosses, 99% of the mini/sub bosses, and all the trash have huge vulnerabilities to some disable that trivializes them. If you cant sleep it, you can paralyze it. If you can't paralyze it, you can brainshock it. Or use one of the many items that does a similar effect.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Maybe I am just rocking, but I haven't done any grinding because the monster experience has been plenty. The only point that caused a real problem for me was fighting the Onett police force, not including the Captain who was easy.

Also just had a battle where my party was crying and the enemy kept calling for help. The letter notation went through A to H twice before I finished the battle.

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
I was hoping to save this until page six, but ding this game owns ~o.

One of my fonder memories was farming starmen junior (I think it was them) to get Poo's sword of kings.

I never got it, but I sure as poo poo wasted hours doing it.

Also, rock candy + cinnamon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Harrower posted:

90% of the bosses, 99% of the mini/sub bosses, and all the trash have huge vulnerabilities to some disable that trivializes them. If you cant sleep it, you can paralyze it. If you can't paralyze it, you can brainshock it. Or use one of the many items that does a similar effect.

But..that involves spending mana..

Also, all of the status effect spells/items have a really large chance of failing it's usually better to spend a turn healing/bashing.

Also, bottle rockets.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
My absolute favorite thing from this game was when it asks you your real name. My friend put something absolutely goofy in, and we both forgot about it until the very end of the game where it shows up again, in this case, utterly destroying the dramatic moment.

Ascetic Crow posted:

Also, I don't know about you, but I've never played a game that hits the same notes as Earthbound. I've never played a game as charming as it is, not even Mother 3.

I think for me, part of the reason is that no other game has such lively NPCs. In other RPGs, they're all totally focused on the plot, telling you about some cave or repeating information you've already been told in gratuitous detail. Earthbound's Beatles references and crude humor, if not outright surrealism. Like when a dog is suddenly possessed by the spirit of the game designer!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Monkey:
Hey, could you give me a hamburger?
(Oh, wait, I'm sorry. I spoke to you in human.
Could you give me a hamburger?)

The best parts of this game are the lines and the music.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Booyah posted:

I was hoping to save this until page six, but ding this game owns ~o.

One of my fonder memories was farming starmen junior (I think it was them) to get Poo's sword of kings.

I never got it, but I sure as poo poo wasted hours doing it.

Also, rock candy + cinnamon.

I always get the Sword of Kings, but last time I tried I think it took me 6 hours. :negative:

Can we talk about how Threed has a really cool aesthetic, at night and when the sun rises?

Or about how Fourside has the Apollo Theater and how Jackie's Cafe is kinda creepy?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

morcant posted:

When I was young and dumb, I spent a good three months stuck in Magicant because I didn't realize the Casey Bat was a piece of poo poo. I can't remember how I finally figured it out, whether I looked at an FAQ or what, but I found another, less terrible bat I'd put in storage and was on my way in about ten minutes. :downs:

I got lucky. My father saw me playing, pointed out the story behind the name (i.e Casey strikes out) and it occurred to me...that's why I'm missing so goddamn much. Because the legend is about someone who smashes them out of the park UNTIL IT loving COUNTS.

:v: Lucky for me this was only my fourth goddamn playthrough before I realized it wasn't worth the effort.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think Moonside is the coolest thing ever. After it's over the game dismisses it as "Oh yeah it was just a machine that made illusions" but you know it wasn't that. It wasn't that at all. :stare:

Tripping on shrooms in Mother 3 is really awesome but it doesn't come close to how hosed up moonside is.

Moon--side...de-monsiideee...welcome!!!

Booyah
Dec 10, 2007
NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BORING RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS

Ascetic Crow posted:

I always get the Sword of Kings, but last time I tried I think it took me 6 hours. :negative:

Can we talk about how Threed has a really cool aesthetic, at night and when the sun rises?

Or about how Fourside has the Apollo Theater and how Jackie's Cafe is kinda creepy?

The best part is how the sword of kings was entirely unnecessary. I never got it, so I don't know if it made Poo even better, but I always remember spamming dragonites @ the final boss with him.

That, and using all of the nerd's fun gadgets.... this game makes me wish I had my SNES with me.

If we're talking about odd ball poo poo, what about the painter's cult....

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Classtoise posted:

I got lucky. My father saw me playing, pointed out the story behind the name (i.e Casey strikes out) and it occurred to me...that's why I'm missing so goddamn much. Because the legend is about someone who smashes them out of the park UNTIL IT loving COUNTS.

:v: Lucky for me this was only my fourth goddamn playthrough before I realized it wasn't worth the effort.

The Casey bat has its uses, though. You'll never get the sword of kings without it, since it gives you one-shots on Starmen Deluxes.

Edit:
VVV It's too easy that way. I like the challenge using the Casey bat gives me in Stonehenge.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 26, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ascetic Crow posted:

The Casey bat has its uses, though. You'll never get the sword of kings without it, since it gives you one-shots on Starmen Deluxes.

You can defeat deluxes in a single turn anyhow with more reliable weapons. The Casey bat is a mean joke, as are the sling shots and yo-yos.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Curious, has anyone done a non-bottle rocket run? I feel like the game would be more challenging, at least with bosses.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Harrower posted:

They weren't THAT inaccurate. Most of the time, if it worked, it ALWAYS worked. Like the mummies in the pyramid. They do a shitload of damage, have high HP, tank hits fairly well, and can wreck your poo poo...but one 7 PP Paralysis Alpha will stop them dead.

Ascetic Crow posted:

Wait, you guys actually use magic? The only time I use PSI in Earthbound is when a boss has an elemental weakness. I'm so afraid that I won't have enough MP that I just spam attacks and lifeup.

I did this too, until I started realizing enemies had status weaknesses. Made my life SO much easier than just mashing Bash, and once in a while hurling a Sleep in can do wonders.

Bobnumerotres posted:

I think Moonside is the coolest thing ever. After it's over the game dismisses it as "Oh yeah it was just a machine that made illusions" but you know it wasn't that. It wasn't that at all. :stare:

Tripping on shrooms in Mother 3 is really awesome but it doesn't come close to how hosed up moonside is.

Hello! And...Goodbye!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ascetic Crow posted:

One time in the tunnel under the cemetery as soon as I entered one area a bunch of ghosts and zombies were right at the drat doorway and they somehow got the initial strike on me. So as soon as I switch screens I'm treated to an angry, red swirl animation and noise that scare the piss out of me.

Those ghosts were no joke, either. Everything in the Threed cemetery was really tough for that point in the game so I stayed the hell out of it as much as possible.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Have any of you gotten the non-sword of kings 1/128 items?

I've gotten pizzas from skate punks, but I've never gotten the Broken antenna. I think I'll go for all the 1/128 items when I get my Wii U.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

I hope Nintendo have plans to releasing Earthbound on the 3ds, its one of those games that intrigued me but never got around to playing it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Honestly I always used my Game Genie to just give myself those items when I reached the parts of the game where they were available.

JRPGs kinda suck when you can't cheat past the boring parts. It's probably why I haven't liked any since the PS2 era.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Did the ruler and protractor do anything at all? I seem to remember back in the day just having them in my inventory, but I don't recall if Jeff used them for anything.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
It warms my heart that Earthbound is getting some exposure, but you know what the loving terrible truth of it all is?

Itoi said he'll never make Mother 4

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mercury Crusader posted:

Did the ruler and protractor do anything at all? I seem to remember back in the day just having them in my inventory, but I don't recall if Jeff used them for anything.

No, they're completely useless, except that you need a ruler to progress with the monkeys.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ProfessorLoomis posted:

It warms my heart that Earthbound is getting some exposure, but you know what the loving terrible truth of it all is?

Eh, that's fine. Mother 3 was okay but it felt like it was trying too hard at being both weird and sentimental like Earthbound was. I don't want them to make more just because they feel obligated to do so.

Ascetic Crow posted:

No, they're completely useless, except that you need a ruler to progress with the monkeys.

God loving drat it I was so pissed when I finally got to the end of that thing only to find a loving pencil statue in front of the last door.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Am I overlevelled at the Dusty Dunes mole cave or am I supposed to have the level 3 PSI Freeze that kills the moles in a single hit?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I'd rather them make the games they want, games made for other reasons tend to show it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Whose bones are these? My bones.

Your bones.

Bone's bones.

Bone bone bone.

we kinda need a cross between :stare: and :ohdear: for that I think

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ETB posted:

Curious, has anyone done a non-bottle rocket run? I feel like the game would be more challenging, at least with bosses.
My last challenge was no Freeze, no MBR, no Heavy Bazooka, no enemy resets. I am planning on a no-grind run.

My only regret is not finding Bionic Kraken. I got all the other 1/128 items. I heard you have to enter the final room and leave, to spawn it.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH

Republicans posted:

Eh, that's fine. Mother 3 was okay but it felt like it was trying too hard at being both weird and sentimental like Earthbound was. I don't want them to make more just because they feel obligated to do so.

God loving drat it I was so pissed when I finally got to the end of that thing only to find a loving pencil statue in front of the last door.

Mother 3 is a great game, but yeah it got too heavy. I haven't replayed it to completion since I beat it. It's more linear than Earthbound too, and Porky isn't as compelling villain as Giygas.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ProfessorLoomis posted:

You know what? That doesn't bother me. If people can prove to Nintendo that niché games will sell, that's far more important to me. Nothing that Nintendo has in their library aside from maybe Terrigama could create the crazy for a game like Earthbound in terms of the Internet demographic (and even then I bet it wouldn't sell a quarter compared) but I'd prefer Nintendo to be open minded about it and Earthbound becoming a success would do that.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Mother 3 is a great game, but yeah it got too heavy. I haven't replayed it to completion since I beat it. It's more linear than Earthbound too, and Porky isn't as compelling villain as Giygas.

Porky is a pretty fun character in both games when you realize he's pretty much just Eric Cartman if he were in that universe. Also I wouldn't call Giygas very compelling since his only motivation is plain ol' global conquest. He doesn't even show up until the final battle where Porky screws him over and makes him into the crazy "inspired by a rape scene" wall of twisted faces we all know and love.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Republicans posted:

Porky is a pretty fun character in both games when you realize he's pretty much just Eric Cartman if he were in that universe. Also I wouldn't call Giygas very compelling since his only motivation is plain ol' global conquest. He doesn't even show up until the final battle where Porky screws him over and makes him into the crazy "inspired by a rape scene" wall of twisted faces we all know and love.

Wait, Porky screwed him over? I had got the impression that he ended up as the rape-inspired red thing from marinading in his own Evil Juices® after getting clobbered by the Mother 1 crew. What did Porky do?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Republicans posted:

I think that Giygas is cool in a Lovecraftian sort of way. At the end, Pokey says that Giygas is evil. He was the manifestation of evil in the universe. By the end, Giygas had become a being made entirely of hate and anger towards Ness to the point of losing his physical form. I think that's cooler than an old guy with a spider robot.

Edit:

Ciaphas posted:

Wait, Porky screwed him over? I had got the impression that he ended up as the rape-inspired red thing from marinading in his own Evil Juices® after getting clobbered by the Mother 1 crew. What did Porky do?

Pokey let Giygas out of the Devil's Machine before he had gained full control of his power.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jul 26, 2013

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ciaphas posted:

That big brain/eye thing in the first phase is Giygas in some sort of machine that makes him more powerful but harms his mind. After you beat Pokey up a bit he cranks the machine up to full blast so it makes him way more powerful while completely destroying his mind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh, okay, I guess that sort of makes sense. I'd never figured out at all what the deal was with that machine at the end as a kid, and I haven't replayed EB in a long time.

Maybe I should pick this up on the WiiU after all. :v:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ascetic Crow posted:

Pokey let Giygas out of the Devil's Machine before he had gained full control of his power.

Reading some wiki stuff it looks like the machine was keeping his power contained and Pokey shut it off and, well, we all saw Ghostbusters.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Republicans posted:

That big brain/eye thing in the first phase is Giygas in some sort of machine that makes him more powerful but harms his mind. After you beat Pokey up a bit he cranks the machine up to full blast so it makes him way more powerful while completely destroying his mind.

It's actually the inverse. The machine is actually holding him together, keeping his power from exploding out of control.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

What's your favorite crazy-rear end Earthbound theory? Mine is the one where the entire game is just Ness, Paula and Jeff playing pretend and that Poo is imaginary.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I created this nutcase theory about four years ago on Gamefaqs suggesting that the chronological order of the games started with Mother 2 and ended with Mother 1:

"Mother 2>Mother 3>Mother 1

Yes. Mother 1 is AFTER Mother 2 and 3. Now where would this idea come from?

First, people are likely to say that "ITOI SAID MOTHER 2 IS SEQUEL TO MOTHER 1 NURR" Thing is, he didn't say HOW. He didn't say it's a a sequel timeline wise. I believe that the series is in order of the Evil Progression.

What is the Evil Progression? Basically, it's the progression of twisted influence from Giygas to Porky. But still, how would this cause Mother 1 to be after Mother 2 and 3?

The story of Earthbound begins with Mother 1. A group of 3 children defeat Giegue, and cause him to retreat. Giegue emptily threats to return and kill them. But he lies. Instead, he launches into the past, to destroy the world before the heroes are born. Unfortunately for him, there is yet ANOTHER group of heroic children in the past.

Here's where Mother 2 occurs. Giegue goes insane from time travel(And the song of his adopted mother) and transforms into the terrible Giygas. Ness and gang destroy Giygas once and for all...but now, a new individual has been affected-Porky.

Porky escapes through time, and ends up in the future...to Mother 3.

Mother 3 occurs, and the world is born anew...into the world of Mother 1.

Here's the next thing you'll say: "Mother 1 takes place in the 1980s, Mother 2 takes place 199X, which means sometime in the 90's!"

No. Why no? First of all, why is there no X in Mother 1's year, yet there is in Mother 2? Mother 1 and 2 take place in two different eras: Before the Rebirth, and After the Rebirth. Therefore, they have different time measurements...One with numbers, and one with a combination of numbers and letters(Maybe just X).

What other stuff supports this? This explains the loss of Ninten in Mother 2. It also explains the loss of Mr. Saturns in Mother 1 (They may have evolved, or they went extinct :( ) "

I still have a bit of a soft spot for it.

The Unholy Ghost fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 26, 2013

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Nintendo guide stated the gutsy bat was dropped by kraken which you find at the end of magicant. Which is totally incorrect, it is from bionic kraken found at the end of the game. I spent hours resetting the game and grinding regular krakens. gently caress you Nintendo guide.

Its the only rare item I never got due to that.

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Ascetic Crow posted:

What's your favorite crazy-rear end Earthbound theory? Mine is the one where the entire game is just Ness, Paula and Jeff playing pretend and that Poo is imaginary.

Mine is that the difficulty spikes in the enemies are a reflection of how fearful Ness is at the various points in the game, with the biggest spikes being when he loses someone Fourside dept. store/Moonside or is alone Magicant.

• Locked thread