Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
Then I guess they have some more complex or specific or culture-bound sexual identity that I dont even know about? What do you see them as? and do you think it's something that the general public would see them as, instead of "somewhat nastily stereotypical man in a dress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They look like magical gypsies to me.

Tinkeron
Sep 11, 2005
I always thought of it as a twist on how magical higher beings are usually androgynous and flawless.. so what if they were androgynous by being both overtly manly and womanly? But it does come off like bad drag queens sometimes.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I vaguely remember the magyspies and I thought they were hairy fairies.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Thought they were drag queen gypsies and I see no problem in keeping them as is, whatever they might be.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

https://twitter.com/Mother4Game/status/835381626112704513

:confuoot:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
The tone of the post and the "This has been a long time coming. Are you ready?" content of the gif has me optimistic.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Tinkeron posted:

I always thought of it as a twist on how magical higher beings are usually androgynous and flawless.. so what if they were androgynous by being both overtly manly and womanly? But it does come off like bad drag queens sometimes.

It's this iirc.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PureRok posted:

I vaguely remember the magyspies and I thought they were hairy fairies.

You were right

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Mother4 cancelled

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

swamp waste posted:

Then I guess they have some more complex or specific or culture-bound sexual identity that I dont even know about? What do you see them as? and do you think it's something that the general public would see them as, instead of "somewhat nastily stereotypical man in a dress"

They are men, and also women. That's why they have lipstick and a razor.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

They're gonna rejiggle it into an original IP so they can sell it and justify the work they've poured into it over the however many years it's been

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

HAT FETISH posted:

They're gonna rejiggle it into an original IP so they can sell it and justify the work they've poured into it over the however many years it's been

I don't understand why they didn't do that to begin with.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

pyrotek posted:

I don't understand why they didn't do that to begin with.

No one would know or care about it if it didn't have Mother in the name

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ballz posted:

No one would know or care about it if it didn't have Mother in the name

Maybe not. Didn't Undertale start out as an Earthbound romhack?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lurdiak posted:

I always figured the razor was for shaving their legs and armpits.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SeANMcBAY posted:

Maybe not. Didn't Undertale start out as an Earthbound romhack?

No. The romhacks were just something the guy did in high school for fun and he had the foresight to move on from them.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Ah, I see. They're both men and women, hence why they carry two gender neutral objects.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
The fact that there is any controversy or confusion about the Magypsies is kind of sad to me. They're like devas or fairies, so of course they look outre. The fact that their atypical look is just mustaches and makeup on the same face is all part of the whimsy of the Mother method. It's a guaranteed good thing to have more video game characters who aren't sexed slices right out of the binary mold. They're not men or women in drag, they're not uncomfortable with their assigned gender at birth, they don't gently caress. Why does everything have to gently caress

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I remember an interview with Itoi where his reasoning behind the Magypsies was just "I know some people in real life that present themselves in different and interesting ways and I figured that since these kinds of people exist in the real world, they should exist in the world of Mother 3". It seemed like he wasn't so much making any sort of stance on sex or gender or transgender people but rather just thinks that people being unique is a good thing.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Cobweb Heart posted:

Why does everything have to gently caress

Thank you.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I really like Mother 3 but the hot tub rape scene does sort of poke holes in the whole "celebrate uniqueness!" angle

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RichterIX posted:

I really like Mother 3 but the hot tub rape scene does sort of poke holes in the whole "celebrate uniqueness!" angle

Uhhh :yikes:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNdrfokuDC4

For your perusal!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Yeah it was a rape and Lucas was forced to abort the resulting child which is why Giygas is actually a fetus if you look closely see it all ties together

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
A baby awoke inside Lucas!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

garfield hentai posted:

Yeah it was a rape and Lucas was forced to abort the resulting child which is why Giygas is actually a fetus if you look closely see it all ties together

pro tier username/post combo

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Huh. Looks like baptismal symbolism to me. Struggle, rebirth, reincorporation with community with new perspective. Maybe you're just a freakish perv who thinks about little kids being raped for fun?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The whole thing looks like handling being in a very hot spring without dying from the heat.

garfield hentai posted:

Then Lucas changed his name to Cloud and went to the Honey Bee Inn.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Scalding Coffee posted:

The whole thing looks like handling being in a very hot spring without dying from the heat.

Then Lucas changed his name to Cloud and went to the Honey Bee Inn.

its literally a baptism scene though. a supernatural figure holds lucas under the water and tells him to endure it. as lucas breaks the surface he is reborn, with new perspective, abilities, and goals.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

garfield hentai posted:

I remember an interview with Itoi where his reasoning behind the Magypsies was just "I know some people in real life that present themselves in different and interesting ways and I figured that since these kinds of people exist in the real world, they should exist in the world of Mother 3". It seemed like he wasn't so much making any sort of stance on sex or gender or transgender people but rather just thinks that people being unique is a good thing.

fyi that is, in fact, a "stance" on gender - that nonbinary presentations are valid and deserving of representation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HAT FETISH posted:

Lame.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

fyi that is, in fact, a "stance" on gender - that nonbinary presentations are valid and deserving of representation.

"Making a stance" as in "expressly trying to present a political opinion for the sake of presenting a political opinion". I think it's a relevant distinction because when I think of games "making a stance" I think of hamhanded "hey look we have a gay character or whatever look LOOK write nice things about us game journalists" attempts. Stuff like the new Deus Ex doing the sci fi 101 "hey this make believe discrimination sure has a lot of parallels in real life MAKES YOU THINK HUH" and reminding us that just because a small handful of Musl- er AUG extremists did a bad thing isn't a good reason to discriminate them as a whole, etc etc, no subtlety whatsoever. I think the way Mother 3 handles it is nothing like that and is a lot better for it - there's no annoyingly blunt segment where you rescue them from oppressors who hate them for their appearance with a "be nice to tra- er Magypsies they're just like you and me" children's book moral. They're just there doing their thing and are an integral part of the story. I guess what I mean is that I don't get the impression that Itoi included them for the sake of being demonstratively inclusive so he could pat himself on the back, it seems a lot more genuine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Creators basically never add diversity for those nefarious, insincere reasons - you're describing a bogeyman.

And it's 2017, you should recognize by now that all art is inextricably political.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Lol dude what "nefarious reasons"? I'm not frothing at the mouth ranting about sjws infiltrating games with liberal propaganda or anything remotely like that. Sometimes political messages in games can be really clumsily presented, as they can in any media. I think Itoi saying "I want to represent everyone because people's differences make the world a more interesting place and I want that in my game's world too" is more meaningful than Bioware saying "hey you guys made a fuss so here you can kiss a dude now" and more gracefully implemented than "control F Muslim Aug", if that means I'm somehow blowing things out of proportion well okay then

garfield hentai fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 28, 2017

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
oops quote edit

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
is this conversation seriously still going on

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Don't worry it's one more day before a disappointing Mother 4 update.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Who's ready to be disappointed???

The quick summary: they're dropping the Mother 4 branding. And It's not coming out any time soon.

So yay this can be the last time I ever have to mention this project in this thread.

:toot: indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't understand why they're still offering it for free if they're rebranding. Might as well make some money on all that work.

• Locked thread