Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Endorph posted:

I'm gonna guess it's the 'Giygas is meant to look like a fetus.' thing, and all spin-off theories based on that.

Also a Pokemon character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Neo Rasa posted:

It was long ago "patched" but originally if you pirated a cartridge/rom of Earthbound, upon the check detecting this the game would run with like 4x the number of encounters and it would hard lock right before the final boss. :getin:

Ciaphas posted:

AND wipeout your saves, as I recall. Pretty loving brutal antipiracy technique.

Can anyone tell me how Nintendo was able to program those antipiracy measures? I always wondered how Nintendo in 1994 was able to program such sophisticated copy protection for a game that was released on the Snes. While on the topic of piracy, what was the pirating scene like during the early to mid 90s?

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

While I liked Earthbound a lot a tried to play Mother 1 and found it a boring slug. Is it just me ?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bleusilences posted:

While I liked Earthbound a lot a tried to play Mother 1 and found it a boring slug. Is it just me ?

It's definitely the weakest like of the series. There have been ROM hacks to speed it up.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I tried to play the Nes version 10 years ago and the Gba version a few months back and each time I got to Magican, I just stop there.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Internet Kraken posted:

Don't tell me they never ported Mother 3 for this reason.

Actually, it was sorta true, but there's a lot more to it. I'm not 100% on this, because I wasn't directly involved, although I do know many of the people who were.

Basically, because of bureaucracy and the way Japanese companies work, the petitions basically made it to Nintendo, got circulated around the office, but nobody in an actual position of power ever saw it. When people from starmen.net/fangamer visited NOA they actually saw the petitions in the office, and people there loved them, but obviously nothing ever came from them.

Anyway, turns out Shigesato Itoi had no idea EB had such a cult following, either. It wasn't until a fan started working for him (more here) that he actually found out. It's likely this is part of what set the wheels in motion to have it released on the VC here, since he eventually was talking to Iwata about EB and that's probably what eventually lead to EB coming out on the virtual console.

This is all conjecture, of course, but it's a pretty good theory as to why we got it here. Remember, Nintendo is pretty awful at listening to fans and it's completely likely that the people who make decisions literally did not know until recently how big EB was here.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

LateToTheParty posted:

Can anyone tell me how Nintendo was able to program those antipiracy measures? I always wondered how Nintendo in 1994 was able to program such sophisticated copy protection for a game that was released on the Snes. While on the topic of piracy, what was the pirating scene like during the early to mid 90s?

I can at least partially answer the last question. A friend of the family had some dingus that I think was called a Game Doctor that would let you plug a game into your SNES and copy it over to a floppy disk, then load up the floppy disk later. I was maybe seven or eight at the time, so I don't remember super well, but I'm pretty sure the failure rate was very high and there were definitely games that wouldn't load unless you had an actual game sitting in your SNES along with the Game Doctor. You also had to store a shitload of floppy disks, and of course if you lost one disk of a multi-disk game the whole thing was worthless. It looks like there were a bunch of other similar disk copiers out there, so that's probably more or less what the piracy scene was like until the first batch of decent SNES emulators came out.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

LateToTheParty posted:

The SNES piracy scene was all about big weird copy devices like this thing. Most of them used floppy disks but as time went on there were even ones that used ZIP disks and CDs and stuff! Crazy!

As for all the copy protection in Earthbound and how it worked, it mainly looked for stuff that wouldn't be present on a real cart but would be present on a copier, like too much save ram. For a more detailed analysis, check your friendly neighborhood time black hole TCRF! http://tcrf.net/Earthbound#Copy_Protection (probably a spoiler or two on that page for anyone who hasn't beaten the game before!)

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 25, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata and Itoi did an interview for Itoi's Hobonichi website for the Japanese Mother 2 VC re-release; you can read a fan translation here:

http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45700864819/mother-2-re-release-discussion-part-1
http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45769265360/hobo-nichi-mother-2-re-release-part-2
http://kamedani.tumblr.com/post/45926220075/hobo-nichi-mother-2-re-release-discussion-part-3

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Earthbound is my favorite SNES game, and possibly my favorite game of all time. I still play through it again every few years and enjoy it just as much as I always did when I was a kid playing on my SNES.

I made my iPhone totally Earthbound themed in honor of it. The background image is Moonside, the ringtone is the 8-bit section of the Gigyas music, the alarm sound is one of the Runaway Five themes, and the text sound is the little tone you hear when you equip a weapon. I get a little charge of nostalgia whenever I hear them.

... That said, I'm not nearly as crazy as some of the most hardcore Earthbound audience like Starmen.net. They always seem a little TOO obsessed to me. But either way I'm really glad Nintendo FINALLY responded to fan outcry and officially re-released in the states.

Now I wonder if they'll ever do an official translation of Mother 3...?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Now I wonder if they'll ever do an official translation of Mother 3...?

I think some of the content in the game would probably make Nintendo shy away.

On the other hand Nintendo of America is literally promoting a game where you summon a giant green penis to battle the forces of God so who knows?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

On the other hand Nintendo of America is literally promoting a game where you summon a giant green penis to battle the forces of God so who knows?
On the other other hand, SMTIV is completely marketed as a game for adults (or at least teenagers), while Mother 3 is ostensibly a game for kids. It's bright, it's colorful, it stars a little boy. People are a lot more gunshy when it comes to stuff aimed at children, or even stuff that looks like it's aimed at them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Is there anything you get from playing this on Wii U instead of on an emulator? Honestly curious.

You're honestly asking this question? A PC emulator will actually give you more features and options but buying this will show Nintendo there's people out there willing to buy this. I have no idea what you're expecting.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I remember when I was deep in the desert construction site dungeon Ness got homesick. I sure as hell didn't feel like trucking all the way out to make a phone call but one of the enemies dropped fresh eggs when you defeated them. "Ahaha!" I thought, "I'll wait for one to hatch and have Ness use it to cure his homesickness!" So I did.

And it didn't cure poo poo. :argh:

ImpAtom posted:

It wouldn't be the first time a Japanese game's content was edited for an American audience. They could just change the Magypsies into ugly ladies instead of ridiculous stereotypical trannies and they wouldn't have to change anything else otherwise.

Of course these days that would just open all sorts of cans o' worms.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 25, 2013

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah well, how well does giant green penis compare to SMT's Penis Chariot? :colbert:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

WendigoJohnson posted:

Yeah well, how well does giant green penis compare to SMT's Penis Chariot? :colbert:

That's what he's talking about.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

I was referring to the SMT4 + Fire Emblem promotion they're doing, so quite well!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I think it's not an insane wish for Mother 3 to come, I think Nintendo is finally realizing that they can be family friendly and also promote games with hosed up poo poo, it's not an either or thing.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I think it's not an insane wish for Mother 3 to come, I think Nintendo is finally realizing that they can be family friendly and also promote games with hosed up poo poo, it's not an either or thing.

I just hope they make an On Disc collection for the Mother series like the Kirby Collection. That was pretty well done for a plethora of Console and Handheld ports for a system, the extras weren't half bad either.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Bleusilences posted:

No, because it's literally a NES-sized test run for the game that would be developed 2 years later and infinitely superior in all ways.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Bleusilences posted:

If you ever want to give it another shot, I recommend playing the fan translation of the GBA version (from the same guy who translated Mother 3). The translation is better, and he hacked in an Easy Ring that increases EXP and money drops while reducing the number of random encounters. It makes the game much less of a chore.

edit: Also, everyone should watch EarthBound Saga. There are four of them, and they're all stupid in the best possible ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RfpecI10I

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 25, 2013

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love this game so much and everyone that has a Wii U needs to get it.

I remember I rented the SNES cart a few days before moving and ended up never returning it. I don't regret that decision.:colbert:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

One of my favorite memories was when I played this with my childhood friend. We had just entered the Saturn Village, and I went to the bathroom. My friend knocks on the door while I'm bathrooming and says: "Crouton, should I let this guy operate on us?" My response is "What?"

Once I make it back to the living room, I see this weird nose dude literally asking me in a totally hosed up font if he could operate on us.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
This game pretty much defined my childhood, and it's incredibly solid on its own merits without relying on on nostalgia (but it sure as hell helps). From the kickass tunes, to the neat battlesystem, to the humor, the writing, the just world it takes place in, I just love this game. So many just wonderful moments, and one of my favorite final sequences.

I even grinded for that freakin' bat on the original console I bought the game, we saved for a full year me and my brother to just buy the game.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'm so happy this is finally on the VC. This is easily one of my favorite SNES games. I've needed a good excuse to replay it. I wish I still had my copy of the guide. (At least it's online I guess.)

In the Club Nintendo survey I'm going to mention I'd pay $20 for a translated VC Mother 3 on 3DS or Wii U. It probably won't do anything but at least someone at Nintendo will see that.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If you're a newcomer it's worth mentioning that the first few hours of this game are pretty punishing. Until you get your second party member be prepared to spend some time grinding or you'll die a lot and get completely murdered by the bosses.

It's a memorable and unique game for the time but the gameplay and interface are pretty obtuse and old school compared to other RPGs from that era like Chrono Trigger. Especially factoring in the limited inventory :argh:

Seshoho Cian posted:

Crossposting from the other thread.

We did it guys. :unsmith:

To be fair, you guys got Terranigma and we didn't :colbert:

Endorph posted:

On the other other hand, SMTIV is completely marketed as a game for adults (or at least teenagers), while Mother 3 is ostensibly a game for kids. It's bright, it's colorful, it stars a little boy. People are a lot more gunshy when it comes to stuff aimed at children, or even stuff that looks like it's aimed at them.

It being a game "for kids" is a big reason why it never got localized. It's too colorful and silly to appeal to "serious" RPG fans, but at the same time it has tragic elements, kid-unfriendly subject matter like genocide, and just plain weird stuff like a section about making out with transvestite mermaids that clash with Nintendo's squeaky-clean kid-friendly image. Factor in the fact that it's a GBA game that came out when the DS had been out and going strong for a year and the fan translation means that the dedicated hardcore audience has already pirated and played it means that there's basically no market for it anymore.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Great news for anyone who owns a Wii-U, but that's not enough to make me buy one. Any word on censorship? I thought the whole reason they continually denied the re-release was due to illegal music samples and other things.

Really though, if you have a Wii-U pick this up now. It's a real trip.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Anarch posted:

Great news for anyone who owns a Wii-U, but that's not enough to make me buy one. Any word on censorship? I thought the whole reason they continually denied the re-release was due to illegal music samples and other things.

I am still waiting to hear from obsessive sites like tcrf.net to give comparisons on this. There's definitely some screen flashing stuff that they got rid of, but I'd like to know if the ending glitch was fixed, the Red Cross symbol they forgot to removed was still there, stuff like that.

Also, OP, you forgot to mention someone is remaking Mother 1 using the Mother 2 engine:

http://earthboundcentral.com/?p=10933

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I agree with the poster above about how the game stands on its own but nostalgia really really helps. I first played EB when I would take my brothers original SNES cart while he was at work. He was mean and got wise so I went through a drought, until one summer I was walking out of Electronics Boutique, turned back to the store, and saw a white box with an Earthbound cartridge in it for like $15. Much better than the $70 I paid for my Chrono Trigger cartridge at the time.

I do an Earthbound play through almost every summer and nothing is more relaxing then getting to Summers and just walking around. It is also the only RPG where I have to talk to everyone and inspect everything at least twice.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I still have my original copy. Thanks mom & dad. :unsmith:

My folks were going to get it for me for Christmas the year it came out but ended up having to get a rain check. I guess it wasn't easy to find even back when it was new. Glad to hear that more people get a chance to play this now. I think it works so well because the game keeps does a marvelous job of keeping you small. No matter how tough you are, and no matter how many enemies you overcome, Ness and the rest are still just kids who are far from home. The final area really underscores how alone and vulnerable you are and makes you, the player, uneasy about the prospect of ever getting everyone home.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I found Onett leading up to Paula much easier than when I was a kid. I think it has something to do with not using the slingshot...

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Crazyweasel posted:

I agree with the poster above about how the game stands on its own but nostalgia really really helps. I first played EB when I would take my brothers original SNES cart while he was at work. He was mean and got wise so I went through a drought, until one summer I was walking out of Electronics Boutique, turned back to the store, and saw a white box with an Earthbound cartridge in it for like $15. Much better than the $70 I paid for my Chrono Trigger cartridge at the time.

I do an Earthbound play through almost every summer and nothing is more relaxing then getting to Summers and just walking around. It is also the only RPG where I have to talk to everyone and inspect everything at least twice.

I still have to play through the game one day and grind for enough GP so I can buy that house the guy in town is selling (you really can do this by the way).

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I still have to play through the game one day and grind for enough GP so I can buy that house the guy in town is selling (you really can do this by the way).

You can just come back to Onett later in the game when you have tons of money and buy it.

The real grindy challenge is when you're playing as Jeff for the first time, if you have the patience of a saint you can buy that late-game baseball bat they sell at the store by grinding out the money one $3 condiment packet at a time :unsmigghh:

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
For better or for worse, this game strongly colored the person I am today. So psyched that it's getting a second chance.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

So glad this finally got a VC release.

I first bought the game for 16.00 bucks at a Wal-Mart cause it was on clearance about nine months after it's initial release and it was the only game I could afford at the time. I remember getting a SNES for christmas when everyone else got N64's because my family was poor, so the one benefit was that the SNES had a huge library of often cheaper games.

Anyhow, I remember buying the game on clearance and having no idea what the gently caress I was buying. I just knew the box looked really cool and it came with a players guide, so it seemed like a no-brainer for 16 bucks. I ended up pretending to be sick for the following three school days plus the weekend just so I could beat it. I then stupidly traded the game away for six really mediocre or average games about a year later.

I never knew how much of a following the game had till years later when I tried to track down a copy on Ebay. Fortunately, a pretty decent goon about nine years ago offered to sell me his rental copy that had sharpie on the back of it for 20 bucks. Best twenty bucks I ever spent and the sharpie even came off after I used a magic eraser on it :smith:

I'm also optimistic about seeing either a Mother 1 or Mother 3 NA/EU release at this point. Mother 1 was pretty much translated and done by NOA but never released, and the guy who did the english translation for 3 offered his translation to Nintendo for free, so if EB sells enough on the virtual console, I could easily see Nintendo releasing one or both games in the states. Then again, it's Nintendo :negative: .

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

You can just come back to Onett later in the game when you have tons of money and buy it.

The real grindy challenge is when you're playing as Jeff for the first time, if you have the patience of a saint you can buy that late-game baseball bat they sell at the store by grinding out the money one $3 condiment packet at a time :unsmigghh:

Nah, better way than the ketchup and salt is taking solo Jeff, saving your Big Bottle Rocket for the first Cave Boy you see, and eating picninc lunches they drop every fight until you don't need them after every match (or go to Dr Andonuts' Lab and use the Instant Revitalization Machine). Then save those up those picnic lunches until you can buy all the better equipment from the Drug Store next to the school. I think I got Jeff up to a higher level than the rest of my party that way, and the solo experience boost really helps.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Nah, better way than the ketchup and salt is taking solo Jeff, saving your Big Bottle Rocket for the first Cave Boy you see, and eating picninc lunches they drop every fight until you don't need them after every match (or go to Dr Andonuts' Lab and use the Instant Revitalization Machine). Then save those up those picnic lunches until you can buy all the better equipment from the Drug Store next to the school. I think I got Jeff up to a higher level than the rest of my party that way, and the solo experience boost really helps.

You can actually get backwards on Tessie?

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

ETB posted:

You can actually get backwards on Tessie?

I... I can't remember. If not, I think what I did was I saved at the Drug Store, walked the rest of the way without calling in, and died when I had enough money. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Either way it took like, the whole day, I was in my teens, and had nothing else to do than get that drat bat

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Bought it.

I got poo poo to do today but I really want to get playing it. I never beat Earthbound when I rented it for the SNES or when playing it on emulators. I'm determined to beat it this time.

Finally beating this will probably leave Terranigma as the only great 16-bit JRPG game I have yet to complete. Time for Nintendo to get that on eShop as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I... I can't remember. If not, I think what I did was I saved at the Drug Store, walked the rest of the way without calling in, and died when I had enough money. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Either way it took like, the whole day, I was in my teens, and had nothing else to do than get that drat bat

That's not possible. I just got off Tessie and died to a Gruff Goat right away and it brings you back to the spot Tessie drops you off at when you continue.

• Locked thread