Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of mother 3 guides, this is the sexiest guide I've ever bought for any game ever:

http://handbook.fangamer.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm the opposite, I've gotten the gutsy bat multiple times but never saw the sword of kings in person.
No you haven't. The game is setup to where you will never accidentally get the gutsy bat just playing through, as the specific enemy that drops it (Bionic Kraken) doesn't even spawn unless you specifically backtrack at the end of time.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

No you haven't. The game is setup to where you will never accidentally get the gutsy bat just playing through, as the specific enemy that drops it (Bionic Kraken) doesn't even spawn unless you specifically backtrack at the end of time.

Why are you assuming he's claiming to have got it accidentally?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Trainmonk posted:

Why are you assuming he's claiming to have got it accidentally?

Because it is way harder to get the gutsy bat then it is to grind for the sword of kings. So if you are unwilling to grind for the fairly easy Sword why would you bother with the bat?

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Because it is way harder to get the gutsy bat then it is to grind for the sword of kings. So if you are unwilling to grind for the fairly easy Sword why would you bother with the bat?

I guess the thing that makes the most sense here is that he's a liar.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I've played through Earthbound pretty regularly since it was released, I've sat there for way too long grinding those guys and have never gotten the sword of kings myself. I have definitely gotten the gutsy bat more than once though. I didn't even get that for ages though because the freaking guide that came with the game tells you you get it from the krakens in the sea of eden rather than the bionic krakens later on. The first time I got it was by chance while hanging around the end of the game levelling up.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of mother 3 guides, this is the sexiest guide I've ever bought for any game ever:

I pre-ordered one when it came out and this is 100% a true statement. It's not just one of the best fan-made guides ever, it's probably one of the best game guides ever period.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

robodex posted:

I pre-ordered one when it came out and this is 100% a true statement. It's not just one of the best fan-made guides ever, it's probably one of the best game guides ever period.

Likewise and I'll third that. I need to get a hardcover copy, but I am still smitten with my soft one.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Powercrazy posted:

You can't see the most likely explanation of him simply grinding at the very end of the game to level up before the last boss...on the enemies that drop the bat?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Zaphod42 posted:

Do they regularly get the hardcover restocked, or is it just in paperback now?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Zaphod42 posted:

Anyone have any idea how long it takes them to ship these out? I ordered mine last Friday and got the confirmation e-mail but not shipping e-mail. I need to slow down or I will beat the game before it arrives.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Spacebump posted:

Anyone have any idea how long it takes them to ship these out? I ordered mine last Friday and got the confirmation e-mail but not shipping e-mail. I need to slow down or I will beat the game before it arrives.

Looking at my emails, I ordered the book and got the shipping confirmation 2 days later (this was last year). So I'd say give it another day or two, depending on what time of day on Friday you ordered it?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I've ordered from there in the past (and I know a few people who work there) and usually it's within 2-3 business days they ship it unless it's a holiday or they're at a con. Shouldn't be long.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I don't even have the game and I want that guide. Collecting game guides is a bit of a hobby of mine. I still have all of the old final fantasy guides in good shape, as well as many of the old LoZ guides too. I rarely refer to them but I find something weirdly cool about them. It's a shame they'll probably soon be obsolete.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Captain Mog posted:

I don't even have the game and I want that guide. Collecting game guides is a bit of a hobby of mine. I still have all of the old final fantasy guides in good shape, as well as many of the old LoZ guides too. I rarely refer to them but I find something weirdly cool about them. It's a shame they'll probably soon be obsolete.

I'm the same. I have all of the FF guides, Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Zelda, etc. I like em because it lets you flip through a game, as it were. Loading up an old FF and playing through to a particular scene might take hours, but in the guide I can flip to the page and look at the textures and wax nostalgic quickly. And I really love having collections of maps. I even have all of the versions of the OOT guide, not just the official one, because that game is so amazing and there's so many different guides and they really vary in quality.

Still trying to track down an original earthbound guide for my collection though :negative:

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Zaphod42 posted:

I like em because it lets you flip through a game, as it were. Loading up an old FF and playing through to a particular scene might take hours, but in the guide I can flip to the page and look at the textures and wax nostalgic quickly.

:psyboom:

Most of the games I buy on VC are in pursuit of this feeling. You are a genius.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Just finished Mother 3. You guys weren't kidding about getting heart broken over and over. The last boss battle is one of the saddest moments I've ever played through in a video game. Wow. Really glad I got the Mother 3 handbook to play through the game, it added to the experience.

At some point I'm going to play Mother. Which version is better Earthbound Zero with the Easy hack or Mother 1+2 with the easy ring? I hope the Mother remake in Earthbound actually comes out one day.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Spacebump posted:

At some point I'm going to play Mother. Which version is better Earthbound Zero with the Easy hack or Mother 1+2 with the easy ring? I hope the Mother remake in Earthbound actually comes out one day.

Mother 1+2 has an overall better translation (although I like EB0's town names better), so you'd probably be better going with that. If you do decide to go with EB0 however, this collection of patches will give you the best experience playing the game.

The Mother remake project is still chugging along smoothly, so I've got my fingers crossed it'll be done by year's end.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Skip the Easy Ring and use a game genie password to gain an exponential amount of EXP.

I recommend this only because Mother is so repetitive. I only super-boosted my levels a few times and still met some tough fights near the end.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0onpcfEh5L0

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That Mother hack of Earthbound is still chugging along. Here are a bunch of new screenies showing the enemies as overworld sprites.

The crow in the 4th pic looks dumb and hopefully will be changed, but everything else looks amazing.

Edit: Not sure why imgur is making the pics look blurry.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 18, 2014

NintenBrony64
Jun 29, 2014
I have heard of EarthBound long ago, and I have always been curious about it since then. When it got released on the Wii U eShop, I was very excited to play it. I was kinda skeptical about the game, though, thinking it wasn't going to be as good as people made it seem. I still haven't finished the game, but I can already say that it's one of the greatest games I have ever played.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just curious, how far are you?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This game is on sale on the PAL eShop right now, 6EUR.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

It's also a Club Nintendo reward this year for Platinum!

Automatic Jill
Jan 27, 2012
I'm in Tokyo right now and won a Ness figurine from the Mother 2 Gatchapon machine outside Super Potato... I'm going to keep trying until I get a Mr. Saturn! They also had copies of Mother 3 for sale that were like $80 I don't know why

Also I am almost done that Earthbound fanimation I posted quite a while back. I don't know if it will be done in time for Mother 2's 20th anniversary but it should be released this year.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Automatic Jill posted:

I'm in Tokyo right now and won a Ness figurine from the Mother 2 Gatchapon machine outside Super Potato... I'm going to keep trying until I get a Mr. Saturn! They also had copies of Mother 3 for sale that were like $80 I don't know why

Also I am almost done that Earthbound fanimation I posted quite a while back. I don't know if it will be done in time for Mother 2's 20th anniversary but it should be released this year.

Whoa neat, can you post a picture of the Ness?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I bought this in 2011

(with stickers intact!)

... and never got around to actually playing it until now. Never playing Earthbound has always been probably my biggest gaming shame, but I'm like 5 hours in now and I absolutely adore it.

I just want to have this on loop all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB_ksRqtY8w

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.

Automatic Jill posted:

That's awesome. I really liked what you first posted I'm exited to see what's become of it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I pissed away like 2500 yen trying for a stuffed Mr. Saturn in one of those things. Never again. I did learn, though, that if the machine is one of those where the prizes are in boxes with hooks, the moment you walk away an employee appears from nowhere to open the machine up and move anything you've knocked out of place as far away from the prize chute as possible.

Akiba :japan:

e: read gashapon, thought UFO catcher, still haven't had coffee today

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I bought this in 2011

(with stickers intact!)

... and never got around to actually playing it until now. Never playing Earthbound has always been probably my biggest gaming shame, but I'm like 5 hours in now and I absolutely adore it.

I just want to have this on loop all day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB_ksRqtY8w

That was either a crazy good deal, or way too much money to spend on a game you didn't even play :v:

Glad you're playing it now though!

I really want a hard copy of the guide, (especially with intact stickers) but I just can't justify the ebay prices.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ballz posted:

The crow in the 4th pic looks dumb and hopefully will be changed, but everything else looks amazing.

That 'crow' I don't think is supposed to be a crow. It looks like a "Flying Man" from Magicant, so I'd assume it is a different enemy.

As an aside, why did they make Flying Man an enemy?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

That Mother hack of Earthbound is still chugging along. Here are a bunch of new screenies showing the enemies as overworld sprites.

I really hope this gets finished. I want to play this instead of Mother, the work they've done seems good so far. From following the thread on it at Starman.net, it seems like they are perpetually at least a year away.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Powercrazy posted:

That 'crow' I don't think is supposed to be a crow. It looks like a "Flying Man" from Magicant, so I'd assume it is a different enemy.

As an aside, why did they make Flying Man an enemy?

It does look a bit like Flying Man, but since that screenie isn't from Magicant, that's not what it is. H.S (the main hacker of the project) even captioned it as a wild crow when he posted it. Overall the hack is looking very, very impressive but on occasion there's been something here and there that's needed tweaking. I'm hoping the crow overworld sprite will be reworked.

Edit:

Spacebump posted:

I really hope this gets finished. I want to play this instead of Mother, the work they've done seems good so far. From following the thread on it at Starman.net, it seems like they are perpetually at least a year away.

I'm pretty optimistic, it's kind of been slow-and-steady with no real hiatus. Overworld maps are pretty much done, enemy sprites are done, I think the NPC's are all in place, most of the music is done... while I have no idea how long it'll take to finish, it does seem like they're nearing the home stretch.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 21, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ballz posted:

It does look a bit like Flying Man, but since that screenie isn't from Magicant, that's not what it is. H.S (the main hacker of the project) even captioned it as a wild crow when he posted it. Overall the hack is looking very, very impressive but on occasion there's been something here and there that's needed tweaking. I'm hoping the crow overworld sprite will be reworked.

It's definitely a crow, it even has the cigarette

(Yes, I watched a Mother LP two days ago)

Zaphod42 posted:

That was either a crazy good deal, or way too much money to spend on a game you didn't even play :v:

It wasn't a good deal; I had a short-lived, but well-paying job and I bought a bunch of rare SNES games during that period. EB was the most expensive one (though it seems I got it at a good time, since eBay prices have somehow increased since then), but I just never got around to playing it 'cause I'm a doofus.

The guide is really cool, but I'm kind of afraid to even touch it at this point.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Just had to share that Mother's original release was 25 years ago today:
July 27, 1989.

Where does the time go. Also, I should go play Earthbound again.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

The Mother series is older than me.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Level Slide posted:

The Mother series is older than me.

It's older than me by 6 days. Cool.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Ballz posted:

Is there a link where I can follow this hack's progress?

Also, which translation is it following, the original prototype translation or Tomato's retranslation (done for the GBA version)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I finished Earthbound. That was a great experience :)

What's the best way to play Mother 3?

• Locked thread