Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The book itself will be sold separately at some point, although some rewards such as the backpack or Ness USB drive were exclusive to the kickstarter.

Edit: Oh hello new page. Here, have the title screen to the Mother 1 SNES port:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Backpack will be available afterwards, going by the "What happens now?" graphic. The stuff in the backpack, the Nessbot USB, trading cards, and air freshener will not.

I upped my pledge from the physical book to the backpack today because goddamn did I want it. Now I just need a new Hatness, I lost mine at the ATL Zoo. :negative:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mother 4 captures the look and sound of a mother game so well I'm shocked. It's probably the first time in my life I'm legitimately anticipating a fan game.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
I've been playing through Mother with my wife, who was curious about it since she played through Earthbound last year.

Unfortunately, we lost our save game around Duncan's Factory (these priceless, decades-old prototype NES cartridges are very finicky!) Since we wanted to play again, I decided to install the Mother 25th Anniversary ROM hack for this go-around. I got back to where we were before playing on fast forward, and we've played through to Snowman.

Mother is graphically stark, and not just in comparison to Earthbound. The giant, empty rooms, washed-out color palette, and all-black battle screens always seemed a bit forlorn and impressionistic. The 25th anniversary hack is really very impressive, so much so that Mother feels like a new game in places. While I feel like the original visual style is an important part of the game and it's still worth playing (authorial intent and all that), the hack is significantly more vibrant, textural, and varied.

The quality of life improvements (world map, lower encounter rate, and new font) are all most welcome and I was happy to hear that the many, many visual changes are all in line with the original promotional materials for the game. The new script is quite good, although it seems in places like Tomato may have imposed parallels with Earthbound (for instance, "Mr. Batty is sizing up the situation"). Without knowing anything about the original Japanese text, I'd be curious to know whether Tomato's translation is more faithful or idiomatic (and here I mean the "idioms" of both English and Earthbound's localization).

Quibbles aside, I have no problem saying that the Mother 25th Anniversary Edition should be considered the authoritative (English) version of the game, even moreso than the GBA version. If anyone missed it on the last page, you can find the release page here.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

deptstoremook posted:

The new script is quite good, although it seems in places like Tomato may have imposed parallels with Earthbound (for instance, "Mr. Batty is sizing up the situation"). Without knowing anything about the original Japanese text, I'd be curious to know whether Tomato's translation is more faithful or idiomatic (and here I mean the "idioms" of both English and Earthbound's localization).

For what it's worth, the guy who made the 25th Anniversary hack has said that the script is adapted from Tomato's translation; he still changed things a bit and had to shorten stuff here and there so it's not a strict retranslation in and of itself.

The SNES rom hack that's still underway will probably have a script more faithful to Tomato's translation.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
For anyone who doesn't know, there are two main translations of Mother 1: the 'Earthbound Zero' prototype whose extended ending was incorporated into the GBA version, and Tomato's own translation of the GBA version.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 28, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

A stroll around Mother's Day.

Two days later edit: Nobody cares. :saddowns:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 30, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Ballz posted:

That looks delightful

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Ballz posted:

Lookin' good

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Ballz posted:

That actually looks really really cool! Nice to see how much has been worked on this.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If they fix the music, it would be something to look forward to.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
drat, that looks outstanding! How long has a guy/team been working on that? I'd play that as quickly as possible.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Scalding Coffee posted:

If they fix the music, it would be something to look forward to.

Yeah, a guy is already reworking it. I have a feeling that when this first comes out, about 80% of it or so is going to be completely baller, but 20% will seem off/out of place (think of the weird Spiteful Crow screenshot from earlier in this thread). Thankfully, H.S has been very open-minded with suggestions and has allowed numerous revisions and improvements to stuff he's shown off so far.

I would suspect that after the initial release, a bunch of extra revisions will be made for several songs and graphics and we'll end up with a much more polished 2.0 release not too long afterwards.

H.S has also talked about creating some bonus dungeons and extra NPCs to help flesh the game out a bit more, although that might not be ready with the initial release.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

drat, that looks outstanding! How long has a guy/team been working on that? I'd play that as quickly as possible.

I believe Tomato started it back around 2007 or 2008, but gave up when editing the maps became too much of a pain in the rear end. I think H.S has spearheaded the project since about 2010 or so, although at one point he basically had to start over from scratch to use a new and much more stable Earthbound editing program called Coilsnake.

I wouldn't be surprised if a release is still another year away. There's a lot of nitty gritty that needs to go into it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I'm going to get a 3DS for Christmas and I was all excited to play Earthbound before I remembered that it's WiiU only :colbert: drat it

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat dude how are you gonna play this 20 year old game now. Looks like you're all outta options

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Just got to the Fourside Department Store, and I realize I really should have kept those Coins of Slumber.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

fleshweasel posted:

drat dude how are you gonna play this 20 year old game now. Looks like you're all outta options

I just love playing Earthbound on any new device I get :colbert:

And I think it would be awesome if they had a version like the WiiU where you could play the game on one screen and read the manual on the other.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

'scuse me, just gonna drop this in here and be on my way.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

That just looks like a ROM cart/SD reader hooked up to a TV. They can do a lot of things!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

It's a homebrew port. Still only in the beginning stages, although Jeffman from the M3 translation team seems willing to help rip the GBA's graphics. We'll see how far along they can take it.

Would be pretty neat if one day all three Mother games were playable on a SNES.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

The Mother 4 team did an AMA

Biggest nuggets of info: they hope to have it out by June and are working on a new trailer right now. They say things got delayed after going and overhauling the battle system.

Based on past experience of following fan game/rom hack projects, I'm not gonna hold my breath on that June release date. But it's good to know the project is still alive and that things supposedly are coming along just

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
In case anyone missed the news, you can claim the Wii U VC version of Earthbound from Club Nintendo for 250 Coins, it'll be available until the service shuts down in a few months.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ballz posted:

The Mother 4 team did an AMA

Biggest nuggets of info: they hope to have it out by June and are working on a new trailer right now. They say things got delayed after going and overhauling the battle system.

Based on past experience of following fan game/rom hack projects, I'm not gonna hold my breath on that June release date. But it's good to know the project is still alive and that things supposedly are coming along just

Eh, i'll probably end up playing it but my hopes aren't that high for the title.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

New Mother 4 gameplay trailer

It's definitely got the look. But does it have the heart?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Ballz posted:

Based on the bits of writing and just the tone of the video it feels like they might have it... hope so!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I heard it in a previous video, but that combined level up theme at the end was great.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Ballz posted:

That's looks... really good. Especially for a fangame.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Has Itoi commented on this at all? Looks amazing.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 25, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Has Itoi commented on this at all. Looks amazing.

Most creative establishments have hard rules about publicly commenting on fan products. BattleTech has a board on their official site for fan-designed units, for example, but the company makes it really clear that it's official policy to not even look at that board because of the legal ramifications of accepting unsolicited ideas. IOW it's probably healthier for the project that he never does.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

From back when Mother 3 was new, I remember Itoi saying he'd like to be the player of a theoretical Mother 4 rather than its creator. It might have been an Iwata Asks.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If nothing else I really like the bits of music they've shown off so far.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Level Slide posted:

From back when Mother 3 was new, I remember Itoi saying he'd like to be the player of a theoretical Mother 4 rather than its creator. It might have been an Iwata Asks.

http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/shigesato-itoi-discusses-mother-4/

Itoi and Iwata bullshitting about the series and why there won't be a Mother 4. There's a lot there, but there's the pull:

quote:

ITOI: The feeling of, “I want a MOTHER 4 to be released!” is inside me, too. Even if it’s not something I need to do, I still feel that way. Still, there isn’t someone for me to watch over from afar anymore. If there were a fourth game, I’d want to be the player.

NAGATA: In other words, you wouldn’t mind if someone other than yourself made it?

ITOI: Right. For example, when I watch a good stage play, that’s MOTHER 4. Even if they never intended it to be that way. When I say, “I can’t get enough of this dialog!” you could even say that I, as a “player”, am finishing the world the writer built. Just as everyone finished the MOTHER games for me. So it’d be great if there were such “games” everywhere. They don’t even need to be games, though. If someone wanted to play it in game form, then go right ahead. If someone started making something like “Chimidoro-numa Strikes Back” (translation note: MOTHER 2’s subtitle was Giygas Strikes Back) and you could basically say, “This is clearly MOTHER 4, however you look at it,” who knows, I might just say, “In that case, why don’t you stick a red cap on him and give him a backpack?”

IWATA: Or, “Why not include some people who talk funny and have huge noses too?” (laughs)

ITOI: Yes, yes. (laughs)

NAGATA: And then maybe you’ll be like, “I wouldn’t be against writing a line of dialog for it.”

ITOI: Like a single cameo line, as opposed to a cameo apperance (laughs). I think the greatest thing would be if there was a person who’d show up to say, “Here, now it’s your turn to play.”

IWATA: I get the feeling many people would take you up on that. (laughs)

NAGATA: Mr. Iwata. If you were in a position where you HAD to give an answer and someone asked you if a MOTHER 4 would ever be released, what would you say?

IWATA: If someone asked me that right now?

ITOI: Like if you were at a presentation meeting or something.

IWATA: ……

NAGATA: ……

IWATA: …… I don’t believe there will be any new MOTHER games made using the same production system as before.

NAGATA: I see.

ITOI: Mr. Iwata’s words just now say it all.

IWATA: Yes.

ITOI: Well put. Like I said before, I’ve started to grow fond of people who like the MOTHER games, but to put that in a cooler way, I might say, “The very lives you’re living now are MOTHER 4.” I really feel that way. “Today we had lots of ridiculous thoughts, today we felt sadness, today we laughed a lot.” That’s what I had set out to do within the world of those games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I like the concept of SMASHing the face of a rat, forever.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's impossible to judge without seeing the story unfold but goddamn they have the loving visual homage down cold. Huge, huge fans of the series, doing admirable work. And that level up symphony is great.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

http://earthboundcentral.com/2011/04/shigesato-itoi-discusses-mother-4/

Itoi and Iwata bullshitting about the series and why there won't be a Mother 4. There's a lot there, but there's the pull:

Itoi's words are powerful.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
These dudes have negotiated the rights to reprint the Mother studio soundtrack outside of Japan, and they're raising the funds to print a full double LP with new liner notes by the composers/arrangers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972481375/mother-the-original-arranged-soundtrack-album

They're asking for $42k and are already over 50% funded. The minimum print run will be 2k, and any additional money they raise will go towards printing more copies.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
It'd be nice if they released it on CD too instead of a $45 record I can't listen to and would just frame on my wall. :sigh:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

These dudes have negotiated the rights to reprint the Mother studio soundtrack outside of Japan, and they're raising the funds to print a full double LP with new liner notes by the composers/arrangers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972481375/mother-the-original-arranged-soundtrack-album

They're asking for $42k and are already over 50% funded. The minimum print run will be 2k, and any additional money they raise will go towards printing more copies.

I saw this early this morning and didn't realize the red vinyl choice was limited at the time. Now it's all gone. :negative:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, it dropped back down to 449 when I refreshed the page. I GOT THE LAST ONE MOTHERFUCKAS

Caitlin posted:

It'd be nice if they released it on CD too instead of a $45 record I can't listen to and would just frame on my wall. :sigh:

Join us... joiiiin uuuuuuusssss...

Ballz fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 11, 2015

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I literally bought my first vinyl the other day and as cool as this project is I don't want to go down the dangerous path of buying a video game soundtrack just because it's a vinyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
That's cool, but I'm not going to waste money on an outdated way to listen to music.

• Locked thread