Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
God drat, I just had a hell of a time in the Dusty Dunes Desert.

I was deep into it, when Paula and Jeff both got killed. So I'm limping back to the hotel with Ness, when I come across one of those little worm guys that you one hit kill for huge XP.

Turns out with just Ness you don't have enough power to one hit kill him. So I go into the fight, and the stupid little guy almost tears me apart. Casts Fire every single turn. I barely got out of that one alive haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Does it still run away when your guys are dead?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Criminal Caterpillars always run away from you no matter what, but yeah, god help you if you actually have to fight them. They are absolutely merciless in a fight.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Coolguye posted:

Criminal Caterpillars always run away from you no matter what, but yeah, god help you if you actually have to fight them. They are absolutely merciless in a fight.

Yeah I had no idea! I just thought it was some soft enemy they put in as an Easter egg. But no, it's a remorseless killing machine if you're not ready for it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I've played earthbound a million times and it never dropped the sword of kings for me. Casey's bat? Out the rear end. No sword though.

vvv Ohhh.... I'm thinking Gutsy Bat maybe?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 17, 2015

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Casey's Bat is a guaranteed drop. At most, it took five hours to get the sword.
Holy poo poo.http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/Casey_Bat

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I got lucky on my first playthrough and got the sword after mild grinding. I couldn't be bothered later on.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I've played through Earthbound countless times since I was a kid and I've never gotten that stupid loving sword to drop. As a matter of fact, the only 1/128 item drop I can remember getting is the Xterminator Spray. :geno:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I got it without grinding during my first playthrough, didn't even notice where I grabbed it. When I replayed later I wondered why I hadn't filled out Poo's equipment by the end since I assumed every piece was sort of mandatory.

Luckily it's still sort of simple to get guaranteed back attacks on those guys so grinding for it isn't that terrible... but at that point you might just cheat it in and avoid overlevelling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerJ posted:

Nintendo doesn't cease-and-desist fan-games that aren't raising or making money, that's Square's deal. The only exception I know of was that live-action Zelda fanfilm but I think that was based directly on a game.

Eh, I think they used to. Then again that might have been bullshit because the one project I remember had all kinds of rumors about why it shut down.

Recently I have heard they made some announcement that they were cool with non-profit stuff, but it was just hearsay from the internet, I have yet to see the actual legal document or announcement from Nintendo. I hope its legit because I have some mario fan-game ideas I'd like to mess with, but I haven't looked it up.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nintendo would never in a million years announce that they're OK with non-profit fangames because that would be a catastrophically stupid move for them. at best they'd just turn a blind eye

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just noticed that if one of your party members has paralysis, their sprite doesn't move when you're walking around.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fungah! posted:

nintendo would never in a million years announce that they're OK with non-profit fangames because that would be a catastrophically stupid move for them. at best they'd just turn a blind eye

Well now you made me go and track it down. Its not total BS but it sounds like its not what people were make it out to be fully, which is what I expected.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthickey/2014/11/17/nintendo-to-allow-its-characters-in-other-media-license-free/

Sounds like a lot of misinterpretation, they're saying it only applies in Japan and only to things like music covers and parody videos or something.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Someone from Nintendo did get a Mario Kart video removed because the LPers were singing an old Donkey Kong song. The video was later put up with minutes cut out. It was Youtube anyway, so anyone with money has the authority to fast track any removal of videos.

Their sprite does move a little bit over time. It is when they are diamondized that they don't move.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 19, 2015

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Scalding Coffee posted:

Their sprite does move a little bit over time. It is when they are diamondized that they don't move.

That's one thing that always interested (and scared me) as a kid that played RPGs is how status effects would manifest themselves out of combat when literally any other RPG at the time didn't really do that kind of thing.

Colds/Poison/Nausea in Earthbound is also frightening as hell because healing (both itemwise with very limited items for revival and PP wise on Ness's PP for lifeup) can be super limited earlier on and if you get lost/don't know where to go next in a dungeon (the desert mole dungeon for example) you could easily lose a party member. Paula and Jeff's fragility certainly didn't help their cases either, which is why I love the scrolling hp meter system so much, since they can be saved if they get hit by a deadly blow if you work quickly. I don't remember a single other turn-based RPG that rewards reacting promptly to an enemy action time-wise, it really adds an extra element to the more chaotic fights.

The unreliability of Healing Gamma and life herbs always made me nervous in tough combats too. Sometimes that revival spell just plain won't work and it's nerve-wracking when all you have left is Ness or Poo and you're desperately trying to either end the fight quickly or revive Paula or Jeff to nuke it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

How Rude posted:

That's one thing that always interested (and scared me) as a kid that played RPGs is how status effects would manifest themselves out of combat when literally any other RPG at the time didn't really do that kind of thing.

I always felt awful when someone would die and all your text would turn that evil looking red.

Also the mushrooms would always gently caress me up in the early game, I tried to stay well clear of them.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I forgot that you're supposed to do the Pink Cloud/Magnet Hill stuff before going to Scaraba. So I hopped on the boat, blissfully unaware at how underlevelled I was, and got into the fight with the Kraken.

I queued up Flash B in my first round, cause I usually just throw it out there for fun. Kraken moved first, wiped out everyone with flame breath... but the unintentional hail mary Flash actually one hit killed him. Phew!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I forgot that you're supposed to do the Pink Cloud/Magnet Hill stuff before going to Scaraba. So I hopped on the boat, blissfully unaware at how underlevelled I was, and got into the fight with the Kraken.

I queued up Flash B in my first round, cause I usually just throw it out there for fun. Kraken moved first, wiped out everyone with flame breath... but the unintentional hail mary Flash actually one hit killed him. Phew!

Are you sure it wasn't the captain's sock?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So yeah, I'm starting to think Mother 4 ain't gonna be coming out any time soon. :negative:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

I feel the same way about the Mother remake in the Earthbound engine. http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-Remake/page/1/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Spacebump posted:

I feel the same way about the Mother remake in the Earthbound engine. http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-Remake/page/1/

Nah, that one I'm pretty comfortable about seeing eventual release. H.S is a proven rom hacker with completed projects under his belt (seriously everyone should check out Hallow's End and Holiday Hex, they're like Earthbound DLC). Thing is, it's pretty much a one-man operation so it's naturally proceeding at a glacial pace. But he's never set any sort of arbitrary deadline nor made any excuses about lack of progress.

If you follow the thread he does semi-regular updates on what he's working on at the moment. A lot of it is seemingly unsexy under the hood stuff involving stat adjustments, but work like that is absolutely crucial in completing the hack.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Man, that's a bummer. I wonder why they even bothered setting the June date if they were that far off from finishing it. Maybe they had a couple weeks of good progress and assumed it would continue that way every day after?

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

So is it safe to say I can just forget about this until 2016-2017?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

That's pretty depressing. I guess any indie project can fall victim to the whole "tool and re-tool forever" mindset. I get wanting to release a perfect game and it's not like they are charging but that kind of thing can be the death of any project.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
I suppose it wouldn't be a true Mother sequel if it didn't get trapped in development hell at some point. :v:

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Tonight on the WiiU VC, Mother 1 will be released in NA/EU as "EarthBound Beginnings"

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

SereneCrimson posted:

Tonight on the WiiU VC, Mother 1 will be released in NA/EU as "EarthBound Beginnings"

We're 2/3 the way there! C'mon, "EarthBound 2"!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SereneCrimson posted:

That's awesome, tho I do wish we could get it on the 3DS too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Every single one of you better buy it.

Srice posted:

It probably will eventually.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
They already put Earthbound Beginnings up at the eShop, my purchase is complete.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

What is this world we are living in where they just put Mother 1 on the virtual console, in NA, completely translated..... Holy crap

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Lucas went up for Smash Wii U/3DS not too long ago, too.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I bought Earthbound Beginnings. I'm also going to buy Lucas for both 3DS and Wii U.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

mabels big day posted:

What is this world we are living in where they just put Mother 1 on the virtual console, in NA, completely translated..... Holy crap

I doubt it was a lot of work, considering it's been fully, officially translated for over 20 years

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they do anything to fix the balance or uncensor it?

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Man, I just replayed my Easy Patch copy this past week, crazy coincidence. Wasn't expecting this to happen, like, ever.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Did they do anything to fix the balance or uncensor it?

No. Not as much as I can tell yet, anyway. Looks like a straight dump.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
During the NWC thing I started to hope they'd do a sudden reveal on like a Mother series baseball game or something.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Did they update the name Giyig to Giygas? And is it actually possible to reach the poiint where you find that out within the time that's passed between the release and now, or is the grindosity that bad?

Srice posted:

Two words: killer app. Nintendo is rereleasing games long thought unrereleasable (see also:Earthbound, Donkey Kong 64) as WiiU exclusives to get people to buy the console.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Oh boy, I can finally pay for the mediocre EarthBound prototype. If only they had released this before the free retranslation that also made the final area not unplayably difficult

• Locked thread