Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Yeah I just don't see how it shows "how old the game is" when all modern rpgs do the same poo poo. Just look at FFXII and the zodiac spear or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like the grind in Earthbound is pretty much perfect. VERY few games balance it right so you end up either just steamrolling everything without effort or having to grind too much. But Earthbound, I never really felt like I was JUST walking around grinding but at the same time didn't find it too easy.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Technically you do need to grind at the start a bit since you're usually pretty underleveled when you hit Frank/The Sharks. I mean, you don't have to, but it's the difference between a balls-hard fight and something manageable.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Frank and Frankenstein can potentially be an issue, but a hamburger or two will handle it fine. The only major experience gate can think of is the Titanic Ant and knowing Favorite Alpha. If you are lacking that by the time you get to the Ant, which is entirely possible if you slugged it out early with Frank, that boss will turn you inside out.

Beyond that it is more a question of items and gear. Peaceful Rest Valley is more dependent on stat healing items and good armor than levels, and Threed as a whole is trivialized by bottle rockets after Jeff arrives on the scene. You needn't even kill Trillionage Sprout if you don't want to, and indeed, there is basically no reason to do so. The Sanctuary location gives you nothing to mention and the path to him is annoying because of the mushrooms. You're better off just leaving after killing Belch and coming back when Poo's teleport makes it simple to do so.

Literally the only dicey spot I can remember after that is the Spook and the Department Store, and again, bottle rockets.

What I am saying is that Earthbound's balance is Good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I abused the gently caress out of Bottle Rockets when I played the game and I regret nothing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jeff is functionally worthless without them until he can fix the bazooka so I have no shame about using them early and often.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

g0lbez posted:

Yeah I just don't see how it shows "how old the game is" when all modern rpgs do the same poo poo. Just look at FFXII and the zodiac spear or whatever

It also goes to show that the genre as a whole has stagnated so much.

I should have referred to games as a whole instead of just RPGs in that sense. 1/128 drops are Bad Things™.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Coolguye posted:

Jeff is functionally worthless without them until he can fix the bazooka so I have no shame about using them early and often.

Oh, that reminds me! Can the bazooka run out of ammo? I also abused the gently caress out of that thing when I wasn't gleefully slinging multi-Bottle Rockets, and I had a sudden horrifying thought that I would eventually run out of explosions...

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nope. The heavy bazooka functionally replaces Jeff's basic attack for most of the game because of that.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
When I play Earthbound I just level Ness up to like level 10 before I even fight Frank and then have no real problems the rest of the game unless I get into a bad situation money/item wise right before the Department Store happens.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
The only time I don't use Jeff's heavy bazooka is when I need mash the A button, and get to the combat round in order to heal a mortal wound before a party member dies. The rolling HP meter really adds a cycle of tension and release that makes Earthbound stand out from other JRPGs of the time (not to mention those of today).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do any other RPGs have something like the rolling meter? Other then Mother 3 obviously.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Mother 4

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The rolling meter seriously rules. Oh a fatal attack? too bad, I healed in time. Or you can try and rush the rolling damage vs remaining enemy HP. So cool.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Coolguye posted:

Frank and Frankenstein can potentially be an issue, but a hamburger or two will handle it fine. The only major experience gate can think of is the Titanic Ant and knowing Favorite Alpha. If you are lacking that by the time you get to the Ant, which is entirely possible if you slugged it out early with Frank, that boss will turn you inside out.
I failed enough times to the slug match with Titanic Ant before learning Rockon, that the next level was needed. Maybe if I got real lucky and bought healing items, it would be possible.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder what's more likely at this point, Earthbound 2 on the Wii U VC or an Earthbound collection for the 3DS.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I would lean towards 3DS. It's their more profitable platform, and RPG's tend to do well on handhelds. Plus it would be easier to justify having people drop $40 on a collection than $10-$15 on each game.

I just remembered Wii U does have the GBA virtual console, so that's a more likely choice at the moment.

But considering how much of E3 this year was monopolized by good decisions all around, I am willing to bet that we have a massive wave of stupidity coming around to compensate. So no Mother 3/Earthbound 2. :smith:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I wonder what's more likely at this point, Earthbound 2 on the Wii U VC or an Earthbound collection for the 3DS.

I hope for VC, simply because I use my Wii U more and don't want to buy 1 and 2 again, unless they add something (which they won't). But no matter where it'll be, I still can't believe that MOTHER 3's hypothetical release went from "possibly, some day" to "this can't not happen, guys!" so quickly.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

umalt posted:

I would lean towards 3DS. It's their more profitable platform, and RPG's tend to do well on handhelds. Plus it would be easier to justify having people drop $40 on a collection than $10-$15 on each game.

I just remembered Wii U does have the GBA virtual console, so that's a more likely choice at the moment.

But considering how much of E3 this year was monopolized by good decisions all around, I am willing to bet that we have a massive wave of stupidity coming around to compensate. So no Mother 3/Earthbound 2. :smith:

The 3DS also has GBA Virtual Console, so they could still release the individual titles on that platform.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Coolguye posted:

What I am saying is that Earthbound's balance is Good.

Ehh, honestly I think Jeff's too strong. The game's basically over when you get him.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah Earthbound is a cool game but its balance is really poor. Ness is a better healer, mage, and physical fighter (all three) than the rest of the party with the sole exception that Jeff's Bottle Rockets do completely ridiculous amounts of damage. There's basically no reason to ever use any of the characters' personal special commands. Paula in particular is prone to being randomly oneshot by poo poo, and the rolling HP meter does basically nothing to ameliorate this until 2/3rds of the way through the game when you actually have time to get through the death turn and land a healing effect before she dies.

It's not a dealbreaker and the game owns but well-balanced gameplay and encounters isn't one of its strengths.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mother 3 really refined that balance into a way such that everyone is pretty useful. Even though Boney is the weak link in the party, being the fastest character still has its uses with healing items and the shield snatcher.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah Earthbound is a cool game but its balance is really poor. Ness is a better healer, mage, and physical fighter (all three) than the rest of the party with the sole exception that Jeff's Bottle Rockets do completely ridiculous amounts of damage. There's basically no reason to ever use any of the characters' personal special commands. Paula in particular is prone to being randomly oneshot by poo poo, and the rolling HP meter does basically nothing to ameliorate this until 2/3rds of the way through the game when you actually have time to get through the death turn and land a healing effect before she dies.

It's not a dealbreaker and the game owns but well-balanced gameplay and encounters isn't one of its strengths.
I let the others die to bosses so Paula gets all the exp. She gets all the rock candy for the HP. Stock up on bears if you want. I am glad they didn't balance the party so that MC stomps every encounter while the others cast a couple spells and hopes to not die. The NES RPGs were still fresh in the minds of gamers. The balance is loving great for an SNES RPG with the rolling bars.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Paula can wreck poo poo pretty hard with ice and fire, too. And you could always give her the Franklin Badge for a little more survivability, and yeah, teddy bears.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
She can hit harder than Ness for a large chunk of the game if you consider Freeze as her default attack. Costs trivial amounts of PP and wrecks almost any single enemy. And she learns Magnet almost immediately, so

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Magnet really sucks for recovering PP, though.

There aren't many non-bosses in the game that require Paula's services to quickly kill, and most of the ones that do (such luminaries as Zombie Dog, Plain and Hard Crocodiles, Armored Frogs, Bad Buffalo, Thirsty Coil Snake/Gigantic Ant come to mind) are vulnerable to Freeze. And Paula is of course almost always useful against bosses.

I always give Paula the Franklin Badge* as soon as she joins and keep it on her the whole way. Ness can tank the damage from a Thunder hit or two, Paula can't.

I do agree in that I've regarded Jeff as... if you're not using his bottle rockets as an Easy Mode button then he's just kinda there. He's occasionally useful, though; highlights include using the Neutralizer against enemies (usually bosses) that start with shields, and in the gold mine a decently leveled Jeff is usually faster than the poisonous enemies and can Slime them while Ness and Paula put them down without them getting a turn. I think the game could have benefited from Jeff being tweaked a little bit more into a "can't deal much damage but can dole out status effects and other Good Things with his gizmos" character (they did this better with Duster).

*And usually get pissed off at myself when I realize I forgot to switch it to Jeff before she gets kidnapped

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Jeff also has the Spy ability which is handy for hunting rare items and such!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Srice posted:

Mother 3 really refined that balance into a way such that everyone is pretty useful. Even though Boney is the weak link in the party, being the fastest character still has its uses with healing items and the shield snatcher.

Duster's thief tools only worked like a third of the time, so I ended up having him and Boney just throw items every turn. Really though, Mother 3 was the Kumatora show since she did both attacking and healing better than everyone else.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Jeff could have had more things to put together, but he still needs a good bit of levels to get his IQ high enough for them. When eggs got too boring, I always got him to make defense sprays for the cash. I miss the flamer from the first game, but secondary effects from fire were not considered for some reason. Not like poison is at all useful against enemies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I don't really think that the game not having a ton of challenge means that its balance is bad. Balance being bad means that it's childishly easy one moment, and punishingly hard the next. True, any half-competent rear end in a top hat will basically tour through the game after getting Paula, but you can still get someone's poo poo wrecked pretty easily at a number of points if you're careless. And besides, a game being easy really, really is not a mark against it, especially in the case of a JRPG where, let's face it, you're mostly there to be told a story to begin with.

Also, it's funny that we're saying Jeff is overpowered since most people playing the first time won't spam the gently caress out of Bottle Rockets, and therefore he ends up as by far the weakest.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Balance means that you are capable of going through the area without having to spend hours to advance or fight five minute battles against trash mobs.

You have to buy bottle rockets to make Jeff a killing machine and who the hell pays for consumables? Normal people never use attack items.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

In Earthbound rom hacking news, a new version of Earthbound Deluxe is out. Fixes a lot of issues that plagued earlier releases. Basically if you're in the mood for a more challenging replay of Earthbound with a bunch of new bells and whistles, give this hack a try.

Over with the Mother Remake, they're working on hypnotic PK and PSI animations.

PSI Darkness

PK Freeze Omega

PK Beam Gamma

4th D. Slip

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Earthbound teaches you good lessons like "if you feel weak, buy weapons from shady arms dealers and you won't feel weak anymore".

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

Earthbound teaches you good lessons like "if you feel weak, buy weapons from shady arms dealers and you won't feel weak anymore".

that is poo poo to live by.

what the gently caress is with bolt and why doesn't it ever hit anything? is it completely worthless?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
In fact in Mother 1 Loid is such a weakling that his DAD is in a fuckin trash can, but then he gets a motherfuckin tank.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Momomo posted:

Duster's thief tools only worked like a third of the time, so I ended up having him and Boney just throw items every turn. Really though, Mother 3 was the Kumatora show since she did both attacking and healing better than everyone else.

I found Duster's stat down debuffs to work fairly often, and his other tools require some experimentation since some status effects work better on certain enemies. It's certainly not required, but it's neat to mess around with them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Philosopher King posted:

that is poo poo to live by.

what the gently caress is with bolt and why doesn't it ever hit anything? is it completely worthless?
Its accuracy is based on the number of targets, minus 50% worth the effort.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Am I the only one who loses steam with Earthbound around the time you hit Scarabia?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Am I the only one who loses steam with Earthbound around the time you hit Scarabia?

Dungeon Man is maybe my favourite bit in the whole game, but yeah the rest of that area isn't too exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

For me it's when I hit Deep Darkness. Sloshing around in the swamps isn't fun at all and the Tenda Village is sort of obnoxious. Also the dungeon just beyond said village is a pain.

• Locked thread