Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I vaguely recall something like Fall of the Pigmasks being a working subtitle for the original released. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I'm half expecting to see Earthbound Chronicles just because of things like Xenoblade randomly getting that added as a subtitle.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

I vaguely recall something like Fall of the Pigmasks being a working subtitle for the original released. :shrug:

Fall of the Pig King I believe

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I'm a huge fan of simple titles, like in core Mega Man or Final Fantasy games, and I would kinda hate the series that has "Beginnings", "EarthBound", and something like "Endings". I never even liked the original subtitles "Fall of the Pig King" and "Forest of the Chimeras". Everyone would still call the game "Mother 3", so I really don't get the point of a bigass title. Incorporating two names into one would also be pretty cool, because Mother is a really neat title for a game series, and it's actually appropriate in the third game.
drat, it's been a few days and I still can't believe that it's happening.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Earthbounder.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
Earthbound 64. :v:

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
EarthBound 2: The Search for More Pokey

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Everdraed posted:

EarthBound 2: The Search for More Pokey

Preorder now for the bonus Earthbound the PSI Fire Ω Thrower.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Earthbound: Lucas' Adventure or, alternatively, Earthbound: The Adventure of Lucas.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vookatos posted:

I'm a huge fan of simple titles, like in core Mega Man or Final Fantasy games, and I would kinda hate the series that has "Beginnings", "EarthBound", and something like "Endings". I never even liked the original subtitles "Fall of the Pig King" and "Forest of the Chimeras". Everyone would still call the game "Mother 3", so I really don't get the point of a bigass title. Incorporating two names into one would also be pretty cool, because Mother is a really neat title for a game series, and it's actually appropriate in the third game.
drat, it's been a few days and I still can't believe that it's happening.

Mother is actually a pretty bad name when english is your native language so I can't wait to call it something else.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Mother is a fantastic name and really fits the theme. I mean the whole major arc is nostalgia, and growth and change.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Mother is actually a pretty bad name when english is your native language so I can't wait to call it something else.

Mother? I barely know 'er!

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

English is not my native language, so can you explain why? I like it because it sounds so unnatural for a game, yet it's very simple. Sure, I'll always call Mother 2 "EarthBound", and don't mind Beginnings since they're basically named after a free inn (haven't played the first one, might be wrong), but with Mother 3 it actaully fits really well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think it's just the fact that it's a normal word, though I personally don't agree.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I bet they release Earthbound 2 on April 20th. It's kind of crazy that the game is almost a decade old.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Vookatos posted:

English is not my native language, so can you explain why? I like it because it sounds so unnatural for a game, yet it's very simple. Sure, I'll always call Mother 2 "EarthBound", and don't mind Beginnings since they're basically named after a free inn (haven't played the first one, might be wrong), but with Mother 3 it actaully fits really well.

Mother 3 as a game sounds kind of dumb today aloud and tell people, but yeah, Mother 3 is the first entry that makes sense being called Mother since it's a big part of the story. Plus, Final Fantasy 2-15 is just as awkward, the franchise just became so ubiquitous that it didn't matter. Same for Dragon Quest, where the quest only involves a dragon at all like four times.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

AlphaKretin posted:

Earthbound: March of the Pig King was the working title for EB64

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I remember that last year, Reggie Fils-Aime strongly implied that buying Earthbound and EB Beginnings is the best way to ensure Mother 3 gets an official release. His actual words were more like, "Nintendo wants to make sure that this would be worth such an investment in time and money," but the subtext is clear. Also, Reggie is supposedly a big fan of Mother 3.

By the way, the original Eurogamer rumor was backed up by a different writer. This could very well be legit.

Last Celebration posted:

Mother 3 as a game sounds kind of dumb today aloud and tell people, but yeah, Mother 3 is the first entry that makes sense being called Mother since it's a big part of the story.
It makes sense for Mother 1/EB Beginnings too, since Giygas was adopted by Maria as a baby and raised as her child. You beat him in that game by reminding him of that, causing him to go insane and become the abomination that you fight him as in Earthbound. It feels Earthbound is the only game in the series where the Japanese series name is less fitting than the Western name.

I'd go with Earthbound Legacy, since "Chronicles" is a cliche word in video game titles and it's already used in Xenoblade. That, or

Eric the Mauve posted:

Steel-toed Gut Kick Simulator 2016
because goddamn does Mother 3 give you a hell of a lot of those throughout the course of the game, and just about from the get-go too.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 7, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Wow, Legacy definitely works. Draws parallels with Beginnings and it really is more of a distant legacy than a direct sequel.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Spacebump posted:

I bet they release Earthbound 2 on April 20th. It's kind of crazy that the game is almost a decade old.
I was gonna say that this is an extremely appropriate release date because of the trippiness of Earthbound and its sequel (quite literally in one part of Mother 3), but it's also when it was originally released in Japan. Nintendo sure loves symbolic release dates these days. If they release it in a little more than 2 months, then they've either been working at this for a while or they got the Tomato translation. The latter would be more cost-effective since Tomato said he'd give it to Nintendo for free.

If that's the case, I don't see anything less than an M-rating for it due to the aforementioned mushroom trip.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 7, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i don't buy mother 3 is actually coming out officially in english this year

you can even ban me if I'm wrong

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

What happened was some bloggers posted some incredibly unsubtle teasers about M3 coming this year, got backlash from other people who knew but chose to stay quiet for the sake of the person who'd tipped everyone off (only a few people inside Nintendo knew about it, so leaking the info pretty much guaranteed Nintendo would come down on their source) and tried really really hard to backpedal to no avail, and then sites like Eurogamer posted their own 'yeah, it's not bullshit" stories to top things off.

Fangamer themselves almost leaked it last year.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Feel bad for that source. Nintendo is not exactly loosey goosey with corporate secrets; wouldn't be surprised if a few people got canned over this one, just so they can be sure it won't happen again.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I played about half of 3 (got to the flower meadow cutscene area, I think) a few years ago. I've completely forgotten the plot and how the game works. I received that Mother 3 handbook from FanGamer's kickstarter a while ago. I should go back through and replay it with the guide.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Earthbound 3: we're doing Rambo numbering

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I still stand by that Mother works for Earthbound.

Your mom is who sets you off on your adventure as a symbolic coming of age story (despite your characters never aging and only the creepier and creepier and more serious situations around you unfold the more you progress). She gives you free heals so you are likely to return to her if you don't know about Shark. You need to call her periodically in order to cure home sickness. And you return to her late game when you have to travel through Onett. You also have a lot of nostalgic memories from your childhood, many of which include you remembering the food your mom prepared to celebrate you coming home/being born.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Earthbound 2: Mother Rising

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Earthbound 2: Metroid: Other M

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It's just going to be called "The EarthBound"

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Earthbound Rebeginnings :downs:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I Can't Believe They Called The Third Mother The Earthbound One

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
XenoEarth MotherBound Chronicles X

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sleeveless posted:

I Can't Believe They Called The Third Mother The Earthbound One

Slight modification.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I always though it was called Mother as in "Mother Earth."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I vote for "Earthbound Forever".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Silver Snail posted:

I always though it was called Mother as in "Mother Earth."

There's no reason the title can't have two meanings; this is another one that's most important to 3.

That said, I like Y-Hat's idea of Legacy.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The talk of EarthBound 2: Bound Harder maybe coming over for real prompted me to finally start playing Beginnings and it's really fun so far. Having to grind new party members up from level 1 is kind of a drag but I'm really enjoying it otherwise.

That vocal album version of Pollyanna is the best happy cheesy 80s thing ever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i pray for u at duncan's factory

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

When I played Beginnings I confused Duncan's Factory and the other small one you go too first so I spent like an hour lost there early and then had to do it again for the plot. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

voltcatfish posted:

i pray for u at duncan's factory

That place was a bit of a pain but I guess I expected something a bit, I dunno, meaner for how people talk about it. It was an obtuse runaround but the enemies in there aren't too bad so I stumbled my way through eventually.

• Locked thread