Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The music when you fight the Kraken (and a few battles later on) is literally one of the coolest songs in any game ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxkc3C6sXlY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

Is there anything you get from playing this on Wii U instead of on an emulator? Honestly curious.

It was long ago "patched" but originally if you pirated a cartridge/rom of Earthbound, upon the check detecting this the game would run with like 4x the number of encounters and it would hard lock right before the final boss. :getin:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ProfessorLoomis posted:

His father Aloysius beat him to death for leaving an extension cord in the oven.

That movie's style always reminded me so much of Earthbound and vice versa. :unsmith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DrManiac posted:

[e] Also it's a goddamn shame that mother 3 never got a full ost.

It's a REALLY good soundtrack. Not just in that it has a lot of great individual songs but the way they interweave different themes into later ones to evoke stuff in that game is very effective. Especially for some of the boss battles where you can tell that they're aurally retelling a bunch of events that leads up to the boss fight, it's much more cinematic than what most games go for (lots of loud booming orchestral hits instead of any actual texture).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I bet it was intentional. That game came out in the era where people started trying to make games much more difficult in the US to discourage rentals as a profitable business model. A hilariously anti-consumer mindset that has made many a north american release unplayably difficult.

This had been going on for a long time though, lots of arcade games from Japan as an example, the default US settings are significantly more challenging than the Japanese counterpart (many Konami games from the late eighties and up are like this as an example both in the arcades and at home). Mystic Quest and US FFIV being easier are weird exceptions rather than the rule (try out the US versions of the Exile series, holy crap), a "rule" which only came to be because of the popularity of the FF series.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It looks like Reggie has confirmed what we all already knew: EarthBound's popularity on the Virtual Console has had no impact on Nintendo's plans regarding an English release of Mother 3. Namely, their plans to have nothing planned regarding an English release.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/29/earthbound-reissue-has-no-impact-on-mother-3-release-chances

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised when they can't even get GBA emulation up for everyone.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Plus the rhythm itself isn't as consistent compared to playing the actual cartridge, so you could have the best rhythm in the world but still need to memorize timings for each attack/creature instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I never have much of a problem getting the Sword of Kings (even in my original SNES playthrough), but I have never, ever seen the Gutsy Bat, emulator tricks and all. It's a piece of poo poo!!

I'm the opposite, I've gotten the gutsy bat multiple times but never saw the sword of kings in person.

Honestly though that's such a great grinding spot if you want to not have to worry about anything for the rest of the game that it's worth trying to get anyway. Each fight is just against one enemy and you just have to face down after you collide to always get the surprise attack.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I've played through Earthbound pretty regularly since it was released, I've sat there for way too long grinding those guys and have never gotten the sword of kings myself. I have definitely gotten the gutsy bat more than once though. I didn't even get that for ages though because the freaking guide that came with the game tells you you get it from the krakens in the sea of eden rather than the bionic krakens later on. The first time I got it was by chance while hanging around the end of the game levelling up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I have to totally agree with this. I'm not a huge "THIS MUST ONLY BE PLAYED ON THE REAL DEAL OR YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE" person but I've never seen a filter that makes the game look better in anyway. Every single time it makes it look way worse. Even games with lots of flat coloring and smooth animation like Last Blade 2 look awful to me with it. I think some emulators have it on by default which makes me wonder if some folks even realize.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Using fan translations for an official release is a legal nightmare though even if they paid him.

Without anything established on paper any one he may have spoken to or asked a question to regarding the translation could come out and say they "helped translate Mother 3" and want some kind of cut for it.

Not saying that WILL happen here, but it would be rare for a company to take that chance. There was a similar outburst of drama regarding XSeed's use of a fan translation for one of the Ys games IIRC as an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I feel like the grind in Earthbound is pretty much perfect. VERY few games balance it right so you end up either just steamrolling everything without effort or having to grind too much. But Earthbound, I never really felt like I was JUST walking around grinding but at the same time didn't find it too easy.

• Locked thread