Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I wanna play this on the 3DS. :(

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I would buy the absolute poo poo out of this but I don't have a wii-u.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

absolutely anything posted:

Earthbound's real cool and all but Mother 3's way better and also like my favorite game ever. Well, see ya.

As much as I love Earthbound I kinda have to agree with this. It's the most :unsmith: JRPG I ever played.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Thinking about what happened to everyone at the end of the earthbound brings up a good point. Pretty much everybody in the world knows these kids saved the entire planet right? Wouldn't they pretty much be mega stars?

Earthbound is probably the most human JRPG I ever play. Things like getting homesick if you don't call your mom, or American food not healing poo as much really add to the game's atmosphere.

[e] Also it's a goddamn shame that mother 3 never got a full ost.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 26, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

While I feel that Mother 3 is far better gameplay wise (it's ten years younger, after all), the music is still fantastic and some of the lines are still great, it just doesn't have the charm that Earthbound does.

Also, from the very beginning of the game, they keep hyping up this world-eating dragon if you talk to the right people, and then it turns out it's your entire mission to stop it. But you never get to actually fight it.

The final fight is really cool for its own reasons but man that was a bummer. With how stupidly easy Porky was I thought there'd be a crazy final fight after him.

The dragon is pretty much a neutral entity, what is does when it wakes up depends on the heart of whoever pulls the needles. Lucas wasn't trying to stop it, he was trying to pull the needles to awaken it first so he can get reset the world to how it was before porky hosed everything up. Porky just wanted the dragon so he could destroy everything because he's selfish like that.

The ending of mother 3 wasn't as good as earthbound but it was ok.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Mother 3 endgame spoilers

I was thinking about the Great Dragon yesterday, and it seems to me that it would have come out as something of a chimera of good and evil (in tune with the rest of the game.) Considering that Lucas pulled out half of them and Claus (roughly) the other half.

I feel like yeah, everybody was okay. But they're in a completely different world now, and we can't see them because we don't exactly know what that world would entail.

I do feel like the final fight was a bit of a letdown/was trying to coast on the tails of EB. But I think all Mother endbosses work the same way; Brute force is a guaranteed failure.

Claus pulled out half of them and one of the magypsies specifically says that his heart is neither good nor evil due to him being a cyborg

I think pokey is the best villain of any SNES rpg. He does some pretty horrible poo poo, but it all pretty much goes back to him being a lonely fat kid in some bad situations.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 30, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Thwack! posted:

UnderTale, from what I've played of the demo, seems really derivative from Earthbound. It's a really unique RPG nonetheless!

This is pretty cool. I don't know how long the battle system will last unless it starts getting more complex than using one talky option over and over.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 2, 2013

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

year199X posted:

When I was a kid I could never finish Threed because the ghosts and zombies scared the poo poo out of me. :ohdear:

Logical step was to delete my save and play the first 5 hours again!

I was this way with the vampbies in Brave Fencer Musashi. To be fair, the game played a creepy bgm at night and they slowly killed you in one hit.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Mother 4 captures the look and sound of a mother game so well I'm shocked. It's probably the first time in my life I'm legitimately anticipating a fan game.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Things like this don't get Cease and Desisted until the IP holder is reasonably certain they are really gonna come out. All I'm sayin is it looks like it's about that time.

So they may have gave out a phony date months in advance when the game was already done? that's pretty genius.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Every single last one of you in this thread needs to go buy and play Undertale right this second.

If you're a waffling idiot maybe go play the demo first, it's free,

http://undertale.com/

I'll second this

It's honest to god on par with earthbound/mother 3 to me

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

So how will someone find Undertale if they preferred Mother 3? :can:

Mother 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. I don't want to say it's straight up better because I'm still on the high of just finishing it but it's drat sure In the same ballpark of goodness

I can't wait to see how mother 4 stacks up because undertale raised the bar high

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 19, 2015

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Thwack! posted:

While we are on the topic of indie RPGs that were inspired by Earthbound, has anyone played LISA yet? I've been meaning to pick it up after I'm finished with Undertale (which is a fantastic game by the way) and I just want to hear an opinion on the game before I buy it.

It's great. The soundtrack, story, and characters are top notch

It's way darker than undertale but it has it's funny moments. Mechanically it's interesting because you make a party from dudes who each have their own unique skills.

People are pretty mixed on the dlc but I can't speak of it myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

That 4kids Pokemon dub had me thinking rice balls were Japanese jelly doughnuts for years

• Locked thread