Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

Chromecast needs an internet connection to function, otherwise you'll be stuck on that "unable to connect" screen or whatever. As for having a phone with its wifi radio turned off connecting to a Chromecast, it is (will be?) possible via ultrasonic pairing - http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/27/chromecast-ultrasonic-pairing/. I say will be because the article doesn't say if that feature is available yet, or how to enable it.

The feature will be available with a future Chromecast update, it's not available now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

CrashCat posted:

Dang, that sounds awesome but I bet nobody uses it. Or if they do, it will dunk the battery in seconds because both games and mirroring seem to be huge battery hogs. Doesn't help that even some games I've played that look like they could play on a web browser a decade ago still are badly made and run down the battery like whoa.

FWIW they seem to be planning on releasing a third, best of both worlds type with Android TV later this year:

quote:

And this is just the beginning. In the fall, new APIs will allow you to cast directly to these apps, so users can control the app with the phone, the remote, or even their Android Wear watch.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2014/06/android-tv-and-google-cast.html

For apps with existing integration, I guess the cast button will just transparently open a supporting native app on Android TV if one is present and oldschool Chromecast app otherwise. That might work in Mirroring's favor since if a dev is going to make a TV optimized version, they might as well make a Mirror port of that experience to target people with just Chromecasts/HDMI cables. Though it could just completely cannibalize it, hard to call.

Though all this rests on the premise that its integrated as part of Google cast, not a separate silo'd Android thing & there's no way to know for sure since Google plays fast and loose with the word "cast".

Tunga posted:

No, I was saying there's nothing for devs to "do" with screencasting because it's an OS-level thing. You can't add it to your app, it's just there. There don't seem to be any new APIs related to this feature, but perhaps I'm missing something.

I've not used these APIs and I'm unclear on how such a setup would work exactly. So the user activates OS-level screencasting and then the app is able to hijack Chromecast and use it as a secondary display? I know that some apps have done second-screen experiences using Chromecast already (as bull3964 mentioned) but that has nothing at all to do with the new screencasting stuff because those have existed for months.

I guess the first point only makes sense in context of the second so I'll try explaining again.

You know how Koush's AllCast can populate its Cast button with stuff like DLNA receivers/Apple TV/Fire TV? Apps with system permission can use the same underlying architecture to add secondary displays with the regular API wiring, no hackery on the third party app side required. HDMI VS Chromecast is the equivalent of Bluetooth VS Sonos in Play Music, one is built into the system and the other isn't.

All I really meant was "There's definitely stuff you can do when you have full control of both screens", even if its something as minor as removing the Status/Navbars on the TV and nothing else. With regular casting you're bound to HTML5/Javascript and Chromecast hardware, so the only way to get Unity engine games running (to go straight for the extreme) would be for the Dev to put resources into an OnLive style server streaming setup (with all the input synchronization infrastructure that entails).

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nickutz posted:

Can chromecast work with wifi networks that have a web portal login? I just moved into an apartment complex that uses iZones with a login page kind of like airport or public wifi. Can't get the chrome cast to connect.

edit: oops

I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of network also has client isolation turned on (at least, it should), in which case the Chromecast wouldn't work anyway.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vagrancy posted:

You know how Koush's AllCast can populate its Cast button with stuff like DLNA receivers/Apple TV/Fire TV? Apps with system permission can use the same underlying architecture to add secondary displays with the regular API wiring, no hackery on the third party app side required. HDMI VS Chromecast is the equivalent of Bluetooth VS Sonos in Play Music, one is built into the system and the other isn't.
Cool, I didn't really appreciate how all of this fits together, thanks.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Is anyone running CM11 and not able to use the screen mirroring feature? I'm running CM11 on an S4 and it just never gives me the option. I'm running the latest nightly but I was using the previous snapshot before and I have the latest chromecast apk. Is google blocking custom roms?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

Is anyone running CM11 and not able to use the screen mirroring feature? I'm running CM11 on an S4 and it just never gives me the option. I'm running the latest nightly but I was using the previous snapshot before and I have the latest chromecast apk. Is google blocking custom roms?
It's limited to specific devices so it's entirely possible that however that detection works doesn't like your ROM.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome for iOS just added Cast support

devildriven
Oct 29, 2010
Yay for screencast being available in the UK! I've installed the apk that's floating around (1.7.4) and it works on my HTC One okay. Had some problems at first with no sound being streamed but a hard reset on the Chromecast dongle seemed to sort that out. Stream is fairly decent from phone to TV but there does seem to be fair amount of lag so not best for fast moving games, angry birds and slower paced games will work okay though.

Quick question if i might. Would anyone be able to confirm if they have managed to get screencast working on a Sony Xperia Z Tablet? (10" version) I know that it's not listed on the supported devices list but technically neither is my HTC one (early version) Will it be able to screencast with a workaround/sideload or do you think i'm going to have to wait until it is supported officially (or not)?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

devildriven posted:

Yay for screencast being available in the UK! I've installed the apk that's floating around (1.7.4) and it works on my HTC One okay. Had some problems at first with no sound being streamed but a hard reset on the Chromecast dongle seemed to sort that out. Stream is fairly decent from phone to TV but there does seem to be fair amount of lag so not best for fast moving games, angry birds and slower paced games will work okay though.

Quick question if i might. Would anyone be able to confirm if they have managed to get screencast working on a Sony Xperia Z Tablet? (10" version) I know that it's not listed on the supported devices list but technically neither is my HTC one (early version) Will it be able to screencast with a workaround/sideload or do you think i'm going to have to wait until it is supported officially (or not)?
The HTC One M7 is on the list, it's the M8 which is missing.

devildriven
Oct 29, 2010

Tunga posted:

The HTC One M7 is on the list, it's the M8 which is missing.

See, i'm this clueless i didnt even realise that mine was an M7 (Thought that was referring to the new one)

Tunga posted:

It's limited to specific devices so it's entirely possible that however that detection works doesn't like your ROM.

I also did not read this properly, am guessing i'll have to wait and see if the Xperia Z is supported in future. Sorry for clagging up the thread and thank you Tunga for your input. First post in years and i goof it :suicide:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey, it's cool, you can ask questions :) . Frankly it's bizarre that the M8 is missing from the list.

EugeneJ posted:

Chrome for iOS just added Cast support
But Chrome on Android doesn't even have this :psyduck: .

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunga posted:

I think it's limited - the iPhone update says "allows mobile sites that have added Cast support to work with your Cast-enabled device"

I can't try it out at the moment

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Tunga posted:

Hey, it's cool, you can ask questions :) . Frankly it's bizarre that the M8 is missing from the list.

That cast icon shows up for me when I view some embedded videos.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
The number one thing I am still waiting for is Spotify support. Why won't they just implement it already. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Chrome on Android has had Cast support for a month or two now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right, I thought it meant tab casting.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

How's the audio quality? Can I use it to wirelessly play CD quality audio on the speakers hooked up to my tv?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Pertplus posted:

How's the audio quality? Can I use it to wirelessly play CD quality audio on the speakers hooked up to my tv?

Sure, why not. If it can send HD video, it can do HD audio (which usually is much less bandwidth intensive)

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
I thought this would be easy to google but I'm getting a lot of conflicting information and the OP is out of date. Can xfinity stream to the chromecast? Does it stream on demand video and the live channel selection?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A PC Game posted:

I thought this would be easy to google but I'm getting a lot of conflicting information and the OP is out of date. Can xfinity stream to the chromecast? Does it stream on demand video and the live channel selection?

Thanks for reminding me I'm the OP. From what I understand, native Chromecast casting isn't supported by any of the Xfinity mobile apps or extensions, i.e., you won't see the cast icon in the Android/iOS Comcast apps for live TV streaming or on-demand content.

Best you can do at the moment, to my knowledge, is stream Xfinity content via tab casting on a PC or Mac. Once Chromecast Android screen mirroring is rolled out, you should be able to stream Xfinity content directly off your Android phone/tablet (will depend on if your device is one of the few that are able to take advantage of that feature). By then though, maybe Comcast will bake in Chromecast functionality into their web platform and mobile apps. I doubt it though.

You can also see an official list of Chromecast supported apps at http://chromecast.com/apps

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 24, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Now that MS isn't requiring Gold for video apps on the 360, my old Xbox is better for watching Xfinity content anyway. A used one is still multiple times the cost of a Chromecast though. :(

Maybe the Fire TV would have the Android app on it though, I haven't checked their store page. You can get a list of all Fire TV apps on the Amazon page but unless you registered a device Amazon doesn't show the app compatibility it seems.

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 24, 2014

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
If you don't currently subscribe to Google Play All Access, you can get 3 months free from the Chromecast promotion site.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/24/chromecast-is-one-year-old-so-have-three-months-of-google-play-music-all-access-on-the-house/

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I just upgraded my TV to a new LCD with CEC and Chromecast flies along much better now! Any way to get the screen to auto-power off when a stream finishes?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Just some restriction, you have to be in US and can't be subscribed or previously subscribed to Google Play Music even if you just did the free trial.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CrashCat posted:

Now that MS isn't requiring Gold for video apps on the 360, my old Xbox is better for watching Xfinity content anyway. A used one is still multiple times the cost of a Chromecast though. :(

Maybe the Fire TV would have the Android app on it though, I haven't checked their store page. You can get a list of all Fire TV apps on the Amazon page but unless you registered a device Amazon doesn't show the app compatibility it seems.

FireTV has a bunch of apps that you can sideload onto it. Xfinity TV Go is one of the apps that work on it but you have to plug in a mouse and keyboard (FireTV has only one usb port). Several other similar apps like watchESPN, etc that aren't native to the amazon store require a mouse for navigation and/or an app that forces the orientation to be landscape. Still it works and my wireless logitech keyboard's wireless adapter is plug and play with the thing so I assume most others are. If you have a mouse+keyboard on the same wireless adapter shouldn't be too hard.

Here's the list of all apps you can sideload on the FireTV and which ones have limitations like needing a keyboard or mouse

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
I've been extremely happy with my Chromecast purchase over the last 6 months. I've been using it for YouTube, Netflix and ESPN all without much trouble. I even found a homebrew solution for Spotify.

Absolutely worth the price.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

You can also see an official list of Chromecast supported apps at http://chromecast.com/apps

Woahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh since when does Dailymotion have Chromecast support? Awesome.

the_tourist
Jun 14, 2000

I am a prototype for a much larger system.
I've been trying to troubleshoot a problem with my Chromecast for a couple weeks to no avail... Basically I'm unable to cast from the Youtube app on two android phones and my tablet. I connect to the Chromecast from within the app, and when I select a video it gets stuck at "Connecting". I can get around this by starting the video on my phone, then connecting to the Chromecast, but it still times out and won't move on to the next queued video.

Oddly, my friend's iPhone can control the Chromecast just fine, but obviously the app is a completely different build. Plex and Google Music cast just fine. I've tried factory resets and checking the wireless config but nothing about my setup has changed... it just stopped working one day.

Sassafrasquatch
May 7, 2007

Anybody know if there's going to be any official apps with subscription access to NFL and EPL season passes this coming year?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Sassafrasquatch posted:

Anybody know if there's going to be any official apps with subscription access to NFL and EPL season passes this coming year?

There's a good chance DirecTV will update Sunday Ticket for AirPlay and Chromecast support, since they're about to launch digital-only Sunday Ticket packages.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Oh god, I can only hope that NHL Gamecenter adds chromecast support...

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Oh god, I can only hope that NHL Gamecenter adds chromecast support...

Yes, this needs to happen. NHL needs to learn from MLB. Actually all sports leagues should learn from MLB. They have streaming down.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Burden posted:

Yes, this needs to happen. NHL needs to learn from MLB. Actually all sports leagues should learn from MLB. They have streaming down.

FWIW I emailed them about it, and just got back a stock answer that was basically "we're always looking to expand our options and we've forwarded your feedback to the team" etc

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Best Buy has a deal right now where you can get 2 Chromecasts for $55 + tax http://slickdeals.net/f/7131444-2-x-chromecast-hdmi-streaming-media-players-55-at-bestbuy-com-fs#comments - Each Chromecast will come with 90 days of free access to Google Play Music All Access.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
So when I try to use Plex a lot of videos it seems to be missing their center channel sound. I have a 5.1 system and no problems with sound on any other apps. Any ideas for a fix?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

dalstrs posted:

So when I try to use Plex a lot of videos it seems to be missing their center channel sound. I have a 5.1 system and no problems with sound on any other apps. Any ideas for a fix?

Are those videos stereo?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

eddiewalker posted:

Are those videos stereo?

Most of them are .mkvs with 5.1 sound. What happens is I get all the surround sound so I can hear the background noises and often narration, but the main conversations are not played.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

dalstrs posted:

Most of them are .mkvs with 5.1 sound. What happens is I get all the surround sound so I can hear the background noises and often narration, but the main conversations are not played.

Wow you put a lot of audio engineering into your home movies.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

Wow you put a lot of audio engineering into your home movies.

Having a normal 5.1 system at this point is "lots of audio engineering"??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Having a normal 5.1 system at this point is "lots of audio engineering"??

No, I meant taking the time to mix that many channels of audio for videos of your cat eating or your baby sleeping or whatever you captured for home movies.

• Locked thread