Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I have an old Onkyo and that happens (it stops playing when the TV is off) can you remember what you did to fix it?

Sorry, not offhand - there were a bunch of options, I'm looking at an online manual here (SR507):
HDMI Ctrl
Power Ctrl
TV Ctrl
AudioTVOut

It was some combination of those (they're under the HDMI section) - I think HDMI Ctrl and Power Ctrl were on, not sure about the TV one though. Also there was some handoff action when you switched the TV on and off, the sound would cut and then come back in, so it's possible there's some kind of negotiation that needs to happen between the receiver and the TV (this was a Samsung plasma).

You could play with those options and also whatever CEC options your TV has, but yeah - I think this receiver was from the era just before you could set options through a TV menu or through the network, and it's really pushing it in terms of capability vs usability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Dont know if its been posted here yet, but people with the harmony hub. You can control the nexus player/adt1 over bruetooth.

$5 chinese usb ir adapters work also.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/10/chromecast-app-version-1-9-6-adds-material-design-ui-beta-screen-casting-for-all-4-4-2-devices/

New Chromecast update.

Looks like all devices with Android 4.4.2 and higher will support screen casting now.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

nimper posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/12/10/chromecast-app-version-1-9-6-adds-material-design-ui-beta-screen-casting-for-all-4-4-2-devices/

New Chromecast update.

Looks like all devices with Android 4.4.2 and higher will support screen casting now.

Worked on my up to date stock Galaxy S3, but warned me that the device wasn't optimized for screen casting. There was a noticeable lag.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Go here for free stuff.

https://cast.google.com/chromecast/offers/

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I didn't realize these are multiple offers. I thought you could only pick one. Currently have both free Hulu and Google Play Music access :haw:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Oh poo poo, I've had my Chromecast for a while now and boom, $20 in free Google Play credit, that wasn't a promo that existed when I bought it. Is it just me or does Google give Play credit out like candy? I had a minor technical support issue not to long ago and they gave me $20 for that, I managed to screw up the Chrome Play Music All Access promo (I didn't realize I had to go through that website and just signed up on my Tablet after adding the Chromcast to my account) and they gave me the entire promo in Play credit + the regular tablet promo.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Three Olives posted:

Oh poo poo, I've had my Chromecast for a while now and boom, $20 in free Google Play credit, that wasn't a promo that existed when I bought it. Is it just me or does Google give Play credit out like candy? I had a minor technical support issue not to long ago and they gave me $20 for that, I managed to screw up the Chrome Play Music All Access promo (I didn't realize I had to go through that website and just signed up on my Tablet after adding the Chromcast to my account) and they gave me the entire promo in Play credit + the regular tablet promo.

Dang I didn't get that. I got xmen movie, dramafever, 2 months hulu plus,.90 days google play.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Dang I didn't get that. I got xmen movie, dramafever, 2 months hulu plus,.90 days google play.

Yeah, the rewards are based on the device id.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So I ended up getting a Chromecast because I recently got an Android phone and with this week's Bestbuy.com deal I guess I'm paying $30 for $40 in Google Play credit + a free Chromecast.

Is there like a quick guide I can read to learn all the stuff I can do with this thing?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I ended up getting a Chromecast because I recently got an Android phone and with this week's Bestbuy.com deal I guess I'm paying $30 for $40 in Google Play credit + a free Chromecast.

Is there like a quick guide I can read to learn all the stuff I can do with this thing?

I downloaded a bunch of compatible apps at first, but really, 99% of the time I just use:

-Plex
-Youtube

and in a distant second place:

-Google Music
-Tab casting from Chrome (download the official extension)
-Twitch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Slingbox + Chromecast is amazing. I have my main DVR for my living room and then one additional client unit in my "office" at home. From there, I just stick Chromecasts on any other TV in any other room in the house and I have my TV anywhere without renting additional boxes.

Works great too when I'm at a friend's house and they don't have cable.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
Videostream is best

http://www.getvideostream.com/

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
Does Nexus TV search for things through all services? So if a show is on Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon, etc.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Vita TV what

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

5436 posted:

Does Nexus TV search for things through all services? So if a show is on Netflix, HBO Go, Amazon, etc.

Sadly no. At least not with netflix. And I don't believe HBO Go is available yet either.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I don't have any PS devices... so if PS3/PS4 is getting Plex, does that mean PS Vita TV will be getting it to? Do they share the same app market?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

teagone posted:

I don't have any PS devices... so if PS3/PS4 is getting Plex, does that mean PS Vita TV will be getting it to? Do they share the same app market?

No. It would have to be developed for the Vita so who knows.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Vita TV what

Please tell me you were able to use a dual shock 4 with it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

teagone posted:

The Plex team specifically said no, and they have no plans to develop a vita version.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
How long does Chromecast usually take to load up on the tv with Netflix? I tried it for the first time a few minutes ago and let netflix load for about 15 minutes and then it kicked me back to the default chromecast page on my tv.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

How long does Chromecast usually take to load up on the tv with Netflix? I tried it for the first time a few minutes ago and let netflix load for about 15 minutes and then it kicked me back to the default chromecast page on my tv.

15 minutes is not normal. It should be nearly instantaneous.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007

teagone posted:

15 minutes is not normal. It should be nearly instantaneous.
I'm guessing it was the Hola Blocker. It worked fine when I was on the US Netflix but not on the another country.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

I'm guessing it was the Hola Blocker. It worked fine when I was on the US Netflix but not on the another country.

Aha, what you're missing is one of the downsides of the way Chromecasts work, compared to similar things like the apple TV / Miracast. Those just handle the display output from your phone. The Chromecast actually runs the apps itself in most cases.

The Chromecast has its own IP, DNS & network settings, exposed to Netflix, which also need to be fiddled, otherwise Netflix and other geo-blocked stuff won't work.

They need to match the region your phone appears to be in. Sadly, the Chromecast has no networking options, so no way to make it work with Hola unblocker or anything similar directly...

The only solution is complicated, and requires you to have a router with advanced configuration options (access to iptables or something) PLUS an external, probably paid VPN/unblocker service to push it through.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also just cast your screen but that can be a bit laggy and sometimes the studio is out of sync.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tunga posted:

You can also just cast your screen but that can be a bit laggy and sometimes the studio is out of sync.

Yep, I came up against that problem in the time before screen mirroring rolled out.

You also lose the benefit of offloading network/ rendering to the Chromecast, i.e. Battery life.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm debating the Chromecast. Does it work with 5ghz wireless n yet?

Is there a better alternative for about the same price? I'm hoping for 1080p streaming if possible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a better alternative for about the same price? I'm hoping for 1080p streaming if possible.

The sticks from Roku and Amazon are most definitely viable alternatives that operate on 5GHz WiFi. All current streamer sticks stream at 1080p.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Unless you get a really weak signal somewhere in your place, this really won't matter. The Chromecast currently doesn't support 5ghz, but I've never had an issue streaming 1080p local content, and Netflix starts in a few seconds. If it really matters to you that much, a 5ghz model recently passed through the FCC, so you can wait for that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

teagone posted:

The sticks from Roku and Amazon are most definitely viable alternatives that operate on 5GHz WiFi. All current streamer sticks stream at 1080p.

But do either of them let you chromecast?

Screen mirroring, or steaming from arbitrary apps on various phones, tablets and the web is much more useful that Amazon or Roku's on-stick apps.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

wooger posted:

Screen mirroring, or steaming from arbitrary apps on various phones, tablets and the web is much more useful that Amazon or Roku's on-stick apps.

I have a Chromecast and a Roku streamng stick. I use the Chromecast for my TV and the Roku stick for my daughter's TV (so she has a remote). And yes, you can cast an app to the Roku stick. I know when I choose to cast Plex, I can choose either my Chromecast, my Samsung Smart TV or my Roku streaming stick for the list of devices. Screen mirroring might be possible, as I believe the Roku stick supports Miracast. I'll have to try it later, as now I'm curious.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 24, 2014

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

wooger posted:

The answer to this is complicated, but if you want simplicity then you would just use the ChromeCast. In a way that was their answer to the glut of different inconsistently compatible protocols.

For example, my TV won't accept a ChromeCast request (I need my actual CC for that) but it will accept a YouTube streaming request from the same Android app which will also let me cast it to a CC, and I could mirror it from Android itself to the CC if I felt like wasting my battery. I could install an app on my Fire TV Stick as well to accept DLNA streams or I could open the YouTube app on my PS4, PS3, Fire TV Stick or the Smart TV app on the TV itself and enter a code in on the same Youtube app on my tablet to control the session remotely. I can also navigate to Youtube TV on my HTPC hooked up to the TV and use that code, or send a Youtube page from another PC to the ChromeCast from inside Chrome.

We're easily talking over five different methods on five different devices here. Problem is that every other site that isn't YouTube does poo poo the way it wants, so maybe you get one or two of those methods to work. Screen mirroring is the closest we have to a one-size-fits-all but it still requires a second device and basically demands that you keep it on the charger or run out of battery immediately. Even that doesn't work for all media since some things don't have an Android app.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

For all y'all holiday chromecasters, google put out a quiz app and it looks like it might be pretty good
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.bigwebquiz.app.prod&hl=en

It uses the knowledge graph (their info-connecting system that generates the fancy results and all the Google Now magic) to generate questions, and up to six people can play using their phones or tablets to choose answers. I had a quick go on my own and it seems pretty slick, there's multiple choice and guessing with a slider, and it even did a 'where is K2' question which showed a map of Asia with 4 locations highlighted. And a 'who is this' one with a photo of some golfer with their face out of frame.

So for procedurally generated questions it seems pretty rad, and it might be good for starting some arguments tomorrow!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Someone just released Android 5.0 for the Nexus Player. Anyone try it yet?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rated PG-34 posted:

Someone just released Android 5.0 for the Nexus Player. Anyone try it yet?

The nexus player has always had 5.0

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

CrashCat posted:

The answer to this is complicated, but if you want simplicity then you would just use the ChromeCast. In a way that was their answer to the glut of different inconsistently compatible protocols.

For example, my TV won't accept a ChromeCast request (I need my actual CC for that) but it will accept a YouTube streaming request from the same Android app which will also let me cast it to a CC, and I could mirror it from Android itself to the CC if I felt like wasting my battery. I could install an app on my Fire TV Stick as well to accept DLNA streams or I could open the YouTube app on my PS4, PS3, Fire TV Stick or the Smart TV app on the TV itself and enter a code in on the same Youtube app on my tablet to control the session remotely. I can also navigate to Youtube TV on my HTPC hooked up to the TV and use that code, or send a Youtube page from another PC to the ChromeCast from inside Chrome.

We're easily talking over five different methods on five different devices here. Problem is that every other site that isn't YouTube does poo poo the way it wants, so maybe you get one or two of those methods to work. Screen mirroring is the closest we have to a one-size-fits-all but it still requires a second device and basically demands that you keep it on the charger or run out of battery immediately. Even that doesn't work for all media since some things don't have an Android app.

Yeah, YouTube is a special case, but most apps won't ever work with anything but Chromecast streaming, so anything not compatible with that is useless to me.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

wooger posted:

Yeah, YouTube is a special case, but most apps won't ever work with anything but Chromecast streaming, so anything not compatible with that is useless to me.
There are actually a surprising number that do the DLNA/uPnP thing, but it's still less convenient than just slapping a Chromecast in a port and knowing it will work.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Does anyone here use a fire tv stick with an Hdhomerun Prime? I'm looking for the cheapest way to watch cable on a tv with an hdhomerun.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

wa27 posted:

Does anyone here use a fire tv stick with an Hdhomerun Prime? I'm looking for the cheapest way to watch cable on a tv with an hdhomerun.

Unless you have a transcoding hdhomerun I would question if the firetv can do mpeg2 decoding at any speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

The nexus player has always had 5.0

But not the actual Lollipop OS.

Is it possible to install Popcorn Time on Nexus Player?

• Locked thread