Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Heners_UK posted:

For the Nexus Player owners having freezing issues, there is quite a good post in the official forums:

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/131437-google-nexus-player-interval-pauses/page-9#entry904990

They ask for information on what people are experiencing and details of the media in question

I ended up buying a Chromecast to replace the NP but it's nice to see progress being made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone know if HBO Now works with CC? I'd imagine I'd have to get the desktop version, but is there native desktop casting or just tab casting? Or are we expecting an app anytime soon? They really hosed up their product launch by making it as confusing as possible.

Right now. No. It's apple exclusive for now on devices so that means iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV if you aren't using a desktop computer.

I imagine chromecast support will be added when the exclusivity period ends.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

Does anyone know if HBO Now works with CC? I'd imagine I'd have to get the desktop version, but is there native desktop casting or just tab casting? Or are we expecting an app anytime soon? They really hosed up their product launch by making it as confusing as possible.

lovely tab casting only.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

Right now. No. It's apple exclusive for now on devices so that means iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV if you aren't using a desktop computer.

They really should have just added Apple ID as another sign in for HBO Go, and not made a separate but functionally identical service. The exclusivity could just have been that Apple offers the only cable-package-free option.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Hey, Cast for Audio is now working on my LG speakers! Great stuff.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I ended up buying a Chromecast to replace the NP but it's nice to see progress being made.

I was hovering over the Craigslist Nexus Player/Buy Chromecast button (a very specific button I know, can't buy it in Staples) but hesitated... Now that thread is up I'm hopeful again.

I might get a sedons refurbished Chromecast to supplement the Nexus Player.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The NP has Chromecast support, why get both?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

wolfbiker posted:

The NP's Chromecast support is crap. Numerous apps don't work with it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

wolfbiker posted:

It's buggy as gently caress and frustrating to use every day.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm sure nobody would be surprised if this were true, it's looking like there will be a major google cast update soon, likely at I/O.

Sony issued a press release about some soundbars and receivers that will have google cast built in, and they mentioned this in the PR:

sony posted:

Stay tuned for more information on the future of Google Cast and multi-room functionality.
source: http://blog.sony.com/press/30560/

my nexus q could sync music between rooms, so I'm glad google cast is catching up.

also goddamn google update my nexus q into a fancy as gently caress chromecast already.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

bull3964 posted:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/11/hbo-go-now-works-with-chromecast.html

Chromecast should work on HBO Go. Doesn't HBO Now just give you an HBO Go account?

Also AFAIK it is only the sign up process that requires an iOS device. So if you have an iPad or know someone with an iPhone or w/e you should be able to sign up and cast away!

edit: I'm apparently very loving wrong and HBO is the god drat worst gently caress you HBO

Glimm fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 20, 2015

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Glimm posted:

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/11/hbo-go-now-works-with-chromecast.html

Chromecast should work on HBO Go. Doesn't HBO Now just give you an HBO Go account?

Also AFAIK it is only the sign up process that requires an iOS device. So if you have an iPad or know someone with an iPhone or w/e you should be able to sign up and cast away!

HBO Go != HBO Now.

edit: You do need an iOS device to stream HBO Now (or, as withak said, a web browser will do tab casting).

nimper fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 20, 2015

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

nimper posted:

HBO Go != HBO Now.

Ah, drat. For some reason I thought it piggy backed off the same app.

Jesus HBO that's loving terrible.

edit: apparently there is a lovely convoluted work-around: http://bgr.com/2015/04/16/hbo-now-on-android-xbox-one-and-ps4/

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
HBO Nordic works on Chromecast :smuggo:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So since the new OS update, installing apps via the web play store is a no go. Pretty much everything requires an apk sideload now. With that said, my wifi interuptions, and voice commands seem to be improved.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
It appears that the Nexus Player + $20 of Google Play credit is $69 at the moment: http://deals.kinja.com/googles-nexus-player-gets-a-discount-and-20-of-google-1701325093

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

It appears that the Nexus Player + $20 of Google Play credit is $69 at the moment: http://deals.kinja.com/googles-nexus-player-gets-a-discount-and-20-of-google-1701325093

Up to $78 from amazon.com now, hrmm. I heard that Plex is now working on the NP after the most recent OS update so I have been wondering if I wanted one. I didn't realize how much I would miss tab casting going from a chromecast to a roku 3. I tried the screen mirroring but it kept buffering.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FX Now app has Chromecast support now. Even better, they let you select 4:3 for the SD episodes of the Simpsons.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

FX Now app has Chromecast support now. Even better, they let you select 4:3 for the SD episodes of the Simpsons.

Yeah, I was fooling around with it last night. Works pretty well for a first pass at chromecast support. I've always found the FXNow app to be a little on the janky side, though.

Also, drat do those old simpsons episodes look weird at 16:9. 4:3 is where it's at for those, glad they give you the choice.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Am I right to think that you have to watch an episode on your phone to switch to 4:3? I spent way too long trying to find the switch in Chromecast mode. It's set as the default now, which is reflected when chromecasting.

Very bad UX for people that only download the app for chromecasting.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone else have issues with the Twitch app losing connection to the Chromecast during a cast?

I can be watching a stream, and all of a sudden, I'll get kicked back to the main Chromecast screen, and I have to close the Twitch app in order to get it to work again.

Maybe it's just the Twitch app that's poo poo.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

BoyBlunder posted:

Pretty much this. You're not alone, if the stream so much as burps for an instant it'll conk out. Also, it only supports certain resolutions or something since not all streams will display, and sometimes it will decide a stream you were watching OK is suddenly incompatible, even though nothing changed.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

BoyBlunder posted:

Does anyone else have issues with the Twitch app losing connection to the Chromecast during a cast?

I can be watching a stream, and all of a sudden, I'll get kicked back to the main Chromecast screen, and I have to close the Twitch app in order to get it to work again.

I just cast a twitch tab from Chrome on my desktop and it works better than the app.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Super Dude posted:

I just cast a twitch tab from Chrome on my desktop and it works better than the app.
If you'd rather not encode on the PC I believe there's a Chrome extension just for casting Twitch as well. Been a while since I had to use it but I remember it working alright.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CrashCat posted:

If you'd rather not encode on the PC I believe there's a Chrome extension just for casting Twitch as well. Been a while since I had to use it but I remember it working alright.

I used this one before: https://nightdev.com/twitchcast/ It's not an extension, but it worked great.

I personally have no issues casting twitch from my phone now though.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Tried running an SNES emulator with Xbox 360 controller on my Nexus Player - actually worked really well! Snes9x will install straight to the device via the web play store. Interface is a bit wonky, though.

It also made me remember how much I love playing games on a TV, rather than a computer. :allears:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Best Buy has the Nexus Player for sale for $69. Considering grabbing one at that price because uh...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The chromecast is still twice the streamer at half the cost. Only buy it if you are interested in the gaming aspects.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

bull3964 posted:

The chromecast is still twice the streamer at half the cost. Only buy it if you are interested in the gaming aspects.

Or if you want a remote control. Or if you want Kodi.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, if you want/need a remote and don't have a Play Movies library, I gotta recommend the FireTV stick.

When amazon announced the FireTV, i was one of the many who said "oh, not another streamer." But, I recently had a best buy gift card burning a hole in my pocket and nothing to spend it on so I picked up a firetv stick for my bedroom tv and I have to say, it really is polished and well done. The chromecast still has a larger number of streaming services (many of which inexplicably do not work on Android TV), but the FireTV stick is a close runner up.

The Slingbox app interface, for one, is the best I've seen on any platform. It's a proper thick client, not the cast receiver that Chromecast and Roku have.

What annoys me is the perfect streamer doesn't exist.

Chromecast -> No 5.1 audio on HBO Go, No Amazon Prime
AndroidTV -> No Vudu, Flixster, no 5.1 audio on HBO Go, No Amazon Prime, (thankfully 5.1 audio in netfix was fixed)
Roku -> No 5.1 audio on Google Play Movies
FireTV -> random streaming apps don't exist (like Yahoo Screen or Vudu), no Play Movies support

It seems, at minimum, you need two devices to have premium streaming experience covered across all services.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, if you want/need a remote and don't have a Play Movies library, I gotta recommend the FireTV stick.

The NP should be a far better device to use for Kodi.

It's hilarious to me that, by far, the best solution for watching TV from the internet is still torrents/usenet+Kodi. If you have moral qualms, go ahead and pay for streaming services, cable, satellite, whatever...then go ahead and torrent/usenet the shows and use Kodi anyway because it's still a more seamless and easy-to-use solution.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 2, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Thermopyle posted:

The NP should be a far better device to use for Kodi.

It's hilarious to me that, by far, the best solution for watching TV from the internet is still torrents/usenet+Kodi. If you have moral qualms, go ahead and pay for streaming services, cable, satellite, whatever...then go ahead and torrent/usenet the shows and use Kodi anyway because it's still a more seamless and easy-to-use solution.

Seriously, I have Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Prime, and a lot of the time if I want to watch something, I'll start a torrent and then attempt to watch it on a legal service only to have it either look like garbage, freeze up when ads start, or whatever, so I'll just switch over to VLC and watch the downloaded version instead.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
At least the music industry has their poo poo together in that regard. I stopped pirating music because it was easier to pay the $10/month and stream basically everything I would ever want than it was to find/download. When it's as easy with movies and TV shows, I will stop pirating.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The Nexus Player works with HDHomeRun in Android M which is kind of making me want to get one now. Could it do that before? Because I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYdf5YaeHA&t=51s

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

wolfbiker posted:

At least the music industry has their poo poo together in that regard. I stopped pirating music because it was easier to pay the $10/month and stream basically everything I would ever want than it was to find/download. When it's as easy with movies and TV shows, I will stop pirating.

I'm actually willing to pay for TV stream. I'd gladly pay $20 a month to get the combined libraries of Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime, but with no weird cable restrictions, ads, or limited availability. But since every network is going to start rolling their own service (HBO, CBS, Showtime, etc) I'll end up getting :10bux: ed to death.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Everyone stop saying there can be only one and you can have only one streamer. Your preferred combination of any amount of Google ecosystem streaming device + Amazon ecosystem streaming device + AppleTV (just AppleTV) is a perfectly valid option.

There is nothing saying you can't have a few of these cheap devices.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Heners_UK posted:

Everyone stop saying there can be only one and you can have only one streamer. Your preferred combination of any amount of Google ecosystem streaming device + Amazon ecosystem streaming device + AppleTV (just AppleTV) is a perfectly valid option.

There is nothing saying you can't have a few of these cheap devices.

Most of the problem are with the services. Netflix has things too late, Hulu has ads and cable logins, plus the library is spotty, Amazon is all over the place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is annoying to have to switch devices depending on what you want to watch.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

withak posted:

It is annoying to have to switch devices depending on what you want to watch.
I realize this thread probably isn't the proper audience for it, but this is one reason I like my Tivo. You can just search for a show and it'll tell you which service(s) has it, and clicking that fires up the app (or recording) automatically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

The Nexus Player works with HDHomeRun in Android M which is kind of making me want to get one now. Could it do that before? Because I had no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JYdf5YaeHA&t=51s

Android M has mpeg2 hardware decoding which was not included in prior builds. HDHomerun application is churning along using Software decoding without it and struggles hardcore with HD video. It's also why the screen is black but has audio when using the Live TV Application.

Also I just bought 2 Nexus Players solely because of that video; Best Buy also happens to be selling them for $70 at the moment. I'm going to retire my Raspberry Pi and HTPC to other uses and use that Live TV application and Kodi for my local media. Actually having confirmation that Mpeg2 was supported was the clincher for me as I knew the HDHomerun would be the biggest issue.

And I don't loving watch cable outside of a sports game once and a while. loving grognards I live with :argh:

I'll have to figure out the proper means of installing the dev build. Would be nice if Google would just allow you to update to the latest beta builds OTA. Cyanogenmod certainly figured out how to do nightlies within Android itself.

• Locked thread