Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

IuniusBrutus posted:

:saddowns: i just want to use netflix jfc

Chromecast, yo. Chromecast.

TV tuning and more ability to Direct Play through Plex are the only real reasons I see for anyone to get this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

IuniusBrutus posted:

:saddowns: i just want to use netflix jfc

Well lets say I'm using the first dev build of Android M, they released a second dev build recently and I have not bothered to update to it because the one and only post I saw talking about it said the Bluetooth Remote was unresponsive on it. But he may be talking about the error I already have.

Ultimately I can't really state whether Android M would be good for you or not, your best bet is actually putting it onto your device and watching what happens. Even though we both have the same device it still can yield different results.

As for Netflix I've heard of people getting APK from Smart TV and side loading it since theirs is ahead/behind and just freeze the app from updating.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
remote losing sync with NP and also stalling while voice commands... Is this common ?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Happens to me fairly often. Its ability to cast also comes and goes, and for some reason if I cast anything with Plex it puts a soap opera filter on the movie. As soon as the ethernet dongle for my Chromecast arrives this thing's going back in the pile. I give up.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I'd buy it if the price is right!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Happens to me fairly often. Its ability to cast also comes and goes, and for some reason if I cast anything with Plex it puts a soap opera filter on the movie. As soon as the ethernet dongle for my Chromecast arrives this thing's going back in the pile. I give up.

If wolfbiker doesn't buy it, I'll pick it up. Also if the price is right. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vultures.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

One of you guys can have mine too!

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Can anyone recommend a usb otg hub with integrated ethernet that works well with the nexus player. Wi-Fi is just not quite cutting it and i already have ethernet right there. and the ability to plug in a 360 controler at the same time might be useful.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
This 3 Port USB 3.0 Hub with Gigabit Ethernet works for me: http://www.inateck.com/inateck-hbu3vl3-4-usb3-0-hub-gigabit-ethernet-network-adapter/

EDIT: With an appropriate USB OTG adapter. I picked up a Startech one with a straight end so I could get it into the narrow gap around the microusb port on the NP.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 21, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't sell poo poo in here. Make an SA-Mart thread and link it if you like.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Chromecast is turning two, so check your offers, there should be another free movie rental: https://plus.google.com/+Chrome/posts/BuHeuMYqZ8H

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm looks like Dev Build 3 of Android M is delayed. I was hoping that it would clean up the most egregious bugs that the Nexus Player is suffering from.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Has anyone tried out PPSSPP on the NP? I can't seem to find any solid evidence of how well it runs, just tons of people saying that it runs great on the Shield TV which is sort of a no-brainer. The CPU seems plenty up to the task, but I'm not sure about the graphics or the 1gb of ram.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have no idea why but the last month has seen everything in my house working on 2.4ghz poo poo the bed every 30 minutes. Bought a dual band router, separated the networks with everything on 5ghz but with a Chromecast stuck on 2.4. Sure enough 2.4 still dies every 30 minutes or so which causes the CC to crap out.

Soooo.... Short of buying another Nexus Player (which I don't want) what's the next best 5ghz solution?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have no idea why but the last month has seen everything in my house working on 2.4ghz poo poo the bed every 30 minutes. Bought a dual band router, separated the networks with everything on 5ghz but with a Chromecast stuck on 2.4. Sure enough 2.4 still dies every 30 minutes or so which causes the CC to crap out.

Soooo.... Short of buying another Nexus Player (which I don't want) what's the next best 5ghz solution?

Have you tried changing the channel your 2.4ghz wifi is on?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Raymn posted:

Have you tried changing the channel your 2.4ghz wifi is on?

From 1 to 14 and Auto on now 3 different routers, the last of which is my first dual band. On the two previous routers when it would crap out the CC would drop it's cast and I could check my phone and it would either be disconnected from WiFi or only be getting something like 0.2 megs down. I played around with WiFi Analyzer and tried to pick less busy channels but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The neighborhood isn't too congested so I don't think it's AP overlap. I don't have any old BT hardware, cordless phones or ancient microwaves in the house so I'm at a loss. Finally got a dual band, connected everything in the house to 5 with the CC being the old 2.4 device and sure as poo poo 2.4 died completely within an hour but nothing else dropped that was on 5. The only thing I can think of is a neighbor close by wiping out the entire spectrum with some poo poo hardware or something. God help me if they discover 5 GHz.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Maker Of Shoes posted:

From 1 to 14 and Auto on now 3 different routers, the last of which is my first dual band. On the two previous routers when it would crap out the CC would drop it's cast and I could check my phone and it would either be disconnected from WiFi or only be getting something like 0.2 megs down. I played around with WiFi Analyzer and tried to pick less busy channels but it doesn't seem to have any effect. The neighborhood isn't too congested so I don't think it's AP overlap. I don't have any old BT hardware, cordless phones or ancient microwaves in the house so I'm at a loss. Finally got a dual band, connected everything in the house to 5 with the CC being the old 2.4 device and sure as poo poo 2.4 died completely within an hour but nothing else dropped that was on 5. The only thing I can think of is a neighbor close by wiping out the entire spectrum with some poo poo hardware or something. God help me if they discover 5 GHz.

Well it's not the best solution but there are ethernet adapters now for the chromecast if you want to run a cord to it.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Considering you changed everything but the Chromecast, I'm thinking maybe it's that. Can you borrow a friends Chromecast or something?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
What ever happened to that dual band Chromecast that passed through the FCC?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
What simple universal remote solution can I use to control both my TV volume and my Nexus Player?

The only slightly reasonable solution I've been able to come up with is a lovely universal from Walmart and a FLIRC on the Player.

I'd be okay with dropping $50 on a remote if it did these 2 things elegantly but I can't justify more than that for a harmony or whatever when I'm not dealing with a receiver or bluray player or anything.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Does the Nexus Player support CEC? Couldn't you use the TV remote?

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

wolfbiker posted:

Does the Nexus Player support CEC? Couldn't you use the TV remote?

My CEC experience has been pretty laggy and can only do arrows+back (at least with my TV).

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Get an ethernet adapter for the CC? mine comes on Thursday so I'll let you know how it works out.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FlyingCheese posted:

Considering you changed everything but the Chromecast, I'm thinking maybe it's that. Can you borrow a friends Chromecast or something?
I'd be inclined to think it was the Chomecast if the phones didn't show a poo poo up network at the same time the CC stops casting.

FormatAmerica posted:

Get an ethernet adapter for the CC? mine comes on Thursday so I'll let you know how it works out.
Not really wanting to string an ethernet cable across my living room. I guess I could have my ISP come out and put a new drop in on the opposite side of the house though. I'm still curious to see how well that ethernet adapter works though.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

"Starting today, [HBO Now] will support Google’s Chromecast for streaming from your mobile device to your TV, according to the update text in the iOS version that just arrived on the iTunes App Store. The Android app has not yet been updated, as of the time of writing, but will arrive later today."

via http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/06/hbo-now-adds-support-for-googles-chromecast/

e: the Google Play page already mentions the Chromecast support. Hooray.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 6, 2015

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fruit Chewy posted:

What simple universal remote solution can I use to control both my TV volume and my Nexus Player?

The only slightly reasonable solution I've been able to come up with is a lovely universal from Walmart and a FLIRC on the Player.

I'd be okay with dropping $50 on a remote if it did these 2 things elegantly but I can't justify more than that for a harmony or whatever when I'm not dealing with a receiver or bluray player or anything.

My 2011 LG TV and my brand new hisense both allow arrow buttons, back, exit, OK, play, pause and forward/rewind. Maybe others too.

Oops I mean from the factory remotes that came with the TV's

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Whats it plugged into and where is it in relation to the AP? I had some trouble with inconsistent connections on my Chromecast when it was plugged in directly to my receiver and about 4 feet across from and 1 foot below my AP. I got a foot or so HDMI extension cable so I could relocate it and that fixed my problem.

Edit: I just saw you say you didn't want to string ethernet across your living room so I assume that means your AP isn't as close as mine was. You might still see if you can find a HDMI extender to relocate it a bit and see if that helps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Raymn posted:

Whats it plugged into and where is it in relation to the AP? I had some trouble with inconsistent connections on my Chromecast when it was plugged in directly to my receiver and about 4 feet across from and 1 foot below my AP. I got a foot or so HDMI extension cable so I could relocate it and that fixed my problem.

Edit: I just saw you say you didn't want to string ethernet across your living room so I assume that means your AP isn't as close as mine was. You might still see if you can find a HDMI extender to relocate it a bit and see if that helps.

Yeah, AP is in the same room. Maybe 8 feet away or so. I could give that a whirl.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ringu0 posted:

"Starting today, [HBO Now] will support Google’s Chromecast for streaming from your mobile device to your TV, according to the update text in the iOS version that just arrived on the iTunes App Store. The Android app has not yet been updated, as of the time of writing, but will arrive later today."

via http://techcrunch.com/2015/08/06/hbo-now-adds-support-for-googles-chromecast/

e: the Google Play page already mentions the Chromecast support. Hooray.

I still don't understand why they made a new app for HBO now when the HBO go app has had CC support for a long time (Nov 2013).

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 6, 2015

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Super Dude posted:

I still don't understand why they made a new app for HBO now when the HBO go app has had CC support for a long time (Nov 2013).
I believe HBO Now uses a different streaming system operated by MLB Advanced Media rather than the system they've been using for HBO GO.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

datajosh posted:

I believe HBO Now uses a different streaming system operated by MLB Advanced Media rather than the system they've been using for HBO GO.

Well it seems like the Now people got the short end of the stick.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Ehh..

HBO Go probably relies heavily on cable co edge servers

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Super Dude posted:

I don't know about that. MLBAM is also behind MLB.TV, March Madness streaming, WatchESPN, and WWE Network, so they know what they're doing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Super Dude posted:

It's actually the opposite. MLB BAM knows what they're doing.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Now TCM needs to get their poo poo working on chromecast.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm kind of a blockhead with this. I've never used Bluetooth anything until a month ago. I'm running Arch Linux on a Chromebox and managed to get the Bluetooth operational. Is it possible to use my Nexus Player as a reciever of an audio sink from this Linux box? The Nexus Player is hooked up to a stereo I'd like to use for music as well as TV.

I know I can send from the Nexus Player to Pulse Audio without a hitch. Android confuses me.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

I finally signed up for HBO Now....and they don't support the Nexus Player? The hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Does the Netflix app not support HDMI CEC? YouTube and Play Music both seem to work ok on my Chromecast with it but no luck with Netflix.

• Locked thread