Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
After updating my nexus player to the latest android m preview netflix seems to be fixed unfortunately youtube now won't let me sign in. Anyone having similar problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is probably an idiotic thing to partially base a decision on but I'm thinking about getting a Nexus Player, does it do the photo screensaver thing like the Chromecast? I've actually come to really enjoy it, actually I will leave my TV on just for it so it will factor in between getting another Roku or a Nexus Player.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Three Olives posted:

This is probably an idiotic thing to partially base a decision on but I'm thinking about getting a Nexus Player, does it do the photo screensaver thing like the Chromecast? I've actually come to really enjoy it, actually I will leave my TV on just for it so it will factor in between getting another Roku or a Nexus Player.

Yes it does the photo screensaver.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there an easy way for me to cast video to my TV while keeping the audio either on my phone or PC?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Is the Nexus Player a replacement for the Chromecast yet? I was thinking about biting the bullet on the Sling.tv deal.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

crondaily posted:

Is the Nexus Player a replacement for the Chromecast yet? I was thinking about biting the bullet on the Sling.tv deal.

Not in my opinion and I really wish it were.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Raymn posted:

Not in my opinion and I really wish it were.
Yeah, it seems like if you want more functionality than a Chromecast you're better off keeping that anyway and maybe add in a Fire TV or something on an HDMI switch. Actually something that turns its video output off entirely would be best since an auto switcher would then go back to the Chromecast when it's off.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

crondaily posted:

It is for me.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
voice search has improved a lot in the last couple updates. Works well with netflix and xbmc/genesis. I cant see myself needed more functionality.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

kri kri posted:

It is for me.

Same here. My Chromecast was disconnected long ago hasn't been touched in months. The bugs the NP once had with Casting have been gone for a long while now. In my experience.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I have to power cycle my NP pretty regularly because it doesn't show up on the list of available devices to cast to.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I have to power cycle my NP pretty regularly because it doesn't show up on the list of available devices to cast to.

Same.

wolfbiker posted:

Same here. My Chromecast was disconnected long ago hasn't been touched in months. The bugs the NP once had with Casting have been gone for a long while now. In my experience.

I haven't tried lately but Netflix wasn't working and I couldn't even use it as a Google Cast target since I was running into the same issue as if I were running it natively for some mysterious reason. Could be fixed at this point but that really annoyed me.

I'm waiting until Marshmallow comes out to throw in the towel but for me it is not a replacement for the Chromecast and the cheap remote still bugs the poo poo out of me.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-google-nexus-media-streaming-player-by-asus

Nexus Players being sold for $50 on Groupon. Pretty good deal honestly.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

YouTuber posted:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-google-nexus-media-streaming-player-by-asus

Nexus Players being sold for $50 on Groupon. Pretty good deal honestly.

Do people think they're going to announce something new at this September 29th Nexus 5/6 event? Are they just trying to unload stock?

Thinking about buying one for 50 bucks.

edit: I already have three chromecasts and three tvs in my house...

beerinator fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 10, 2015

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

beerinator posted:

Do people think they're going to announce something new at this September 29th Nexus 5/6 event? Are they just trying to unload stock?

Thinking about buying one for 50 bucks.

edit: I already have three chromecasts and three tvs in my house...

Nexus Player is only a year old isn't it? I don't think the hardware is suffering so unless they're releasing something they can manufacture cheaper or has ethernet it seems unlikely. If they release anything it would probably be that Chromecast update that went through the FCC a while ago?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Raymn posted:

Nexus Player is only a year old isn't it? I don't think the hardware is suffering so unless they're releasing something they can manufacture cheaper or has ethernet it seems unlikely. If they release anything it would probably be that Chromecast update that went through the FCC a while ago?

Maybe they're going to announce hardware that actually works.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe they're going to announce hardware that actually works.

Hardware seems fine to me, the problem is the software it is so nearly very good but so much of it is held back by annoying bugs or quirks. Chromecast support is patchy and the launcher has no way to organise the apps, there are some odd audio bugs as well.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Nexus Player is held back because of the software. Nearly all of it 3rd party being slow to act build their apps for the Leanback launcher. Eventually it will happen as the AndroidTV market gets bigger. It's still quite usable but early days for any device are kinda rough. Android M is going to sort out almost all of the Google/Android side problems.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

YouTuber posted:

Nexus Player is held back because of the software. Nearly all of it 3rd party being slow to act build their apps for the Leanback launcher. Eventually it will happen as the AndroidTV market gets bigger. It's still quite usable but early days for any device are kinda rough.

Not really seeing how 3rd parties are causing the Chromecast end of it to be a giant piece of poo poo, or the instability of the Live Channels app, or that Bluetooth (the thing the remote needs to work) crashes constantly.

quote:

Android M is going to sort out almost all of the Google/Android side problems.

Right, and the next Gran Turismo will most definitely fix the sound engine.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

YouTuber posted:

Nexus Player is held back because of the software. Nearly all of it 3rd party being slow to act build their apps for the Leanback launcher. Eventually it will happen as the AndroidTV market gets bigger. It's still quite usable but early days for any device are kinda rough. Android M is going to sort out almost all of the Google/Android side problems.

Third party support is never going to speed up because the Nexus Player has no market penetration and is one of the few Android TV devices with an Intel chip.
Developers would need to rewrite any NDK code made to run on the typical ARM devices to run on the Nexus Player.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Random odd question. I've got a Chromecast that has issues staying connected to my wireless. Would replacing the power cable help or is it better just to buy a new one? I've had it since they came out but never got around to using it full time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Irritated Goat posted:

Random odd question. I've got a Chromecast that has issues staying connected to my wireless. Would replacing the power cable help or is it better just to buy a new one? I've had it since they came out but never got around to using it full time.

If your Chromecast is have problems staying connected to your wifi, I'd assume it's not getting a strong enough signal. Either buy the $15 ethernet adapter and hardwire it, or get a WiFi extender since I don't think buying another Chromecast would remedy the issue.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

Third party support is never going to speed up because the Nexus Player has no market penetration and is one of the few Android TV devices with an Intel chip.
Developers would need to rewrite any NDK code made to run on the typical ARM devices to run on the Nexus Player.

I thought this wasn't an issue now that everything's moved from Dalvik to ART?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

uninterrupted posted:

Recompile not rewrite. And most emulation is on x86 so it'd be more like shipping the apks they work with daily.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The hardware isn't the issue, the issue is Google loving around with a hobby again rather than giving it their full attention.

They need to have a sit-down with the top content providers and give them all the help and support they need to put out a fantastic 1st party app rather than just sitting back and going "ah, well, if all else fails it has cast support."

I mean for shits sake, Netflix didn't even have 5.1 audio for like 6 months after AndroidTV came out. That's loving embarrassing.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Hughlander posted:

Recompile not rewrite. And most emulation is on x86 so it'd be more like shipping the apks they work with daily.

It's not just hitting a button, there's a ton of code changes that go in. Our apps at work leverage the NDK for a bunch of encryption stuff and we had to take a hard line against intel chips primarily because of the work we'd need to do supporting intel and ARM.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nexus Player works minty with kodi/genesis, Netflix and YouTube and Google play music. If you need more than that you should honestly start going outside more.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

jonathan posted:

Nexus Player works minty with kodi/genesis, Netflix and YouTube and Google play music. If you need more than that you should honestly start going outside more.

Take that everyone who uses Plex, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, SlingTV, HDHomerun...

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheScott2K posted:

Take that everyone who uses Plex, Hulu Plus, WatchESPN, SlingTV, HDHomerun...

Seriously though, this reminds me of that Louis ck skit. Why does it have to be perfect ? Quit micromanaging devices and just watch some poo poo. If you're messing around with a bunch of things and getting irritated, find something more rewarding to do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Advice from someone saying "stop micro managing" while at the same time talking about Kodi is a bit tone deaf.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

Advice from someone saying "stop micro managing" while at the same time talking about Kodi is a bit tone deaf.

Touche. Actually now that it auto updates via google play store and the library is managed by emby I just drag and drop folders to my NAS and it's all fully automated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Except for the fact that you have to rip all your own media.

What's more micro managing? Ripping and encoding my whole blu-ray library and setting up all that or simply logging into my Vudu account where all my movies are already there because they are UV enabled.

I don't have local media other than a few physical discs for the movies I wish to buy. It's a royal PITA to manage and I spend all day getting computer systems to work, it's the last thing I want to screw around with when I get home. Kodi is utterly and completely useless to me.

I'll watch a movie on HBO Go, or Showtime Anytime, or Epix, or Starz Play or Netflix, or Vudu, or Google play or Amazon Instant Video (and of course on physical disc for my few favorites.)

It's great that the Nexus Player can run Kodi for the few media nerds who want to screw around with that crap. It doesn't make AndroidTV (and by extension, the Nexus Player) a very good streaming product in general.

I'm finding more and more that the best combo is a Chromecast and a FireTV. That seems to give the best user experience with a decent depth of well made apps.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is true. I generally just download a BR rip if I want a soft copy. My hard copies go on the shelf and never get touched after the first or second play.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I just get digital copies through Vudu. I do the disc to digital set up and I am able to turn my physical movies into digital copies for $1

I do not have a home computer (only my work laptop) so the idea of a desktop media server does not work for me. Vudu does work for me and I am guessing that it works for a lot of people.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
If local media playback isn't that important, get a Roku. It's the only device that has all the streaming services. It can do local with Plex, but not Kodi.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wolfbiker posted:

If local media playback isn't that important, get a Roku. It's the only device that has all the streaming services. It can do local with Plex, but not Kodi.

It can do local media playback with Kodi if you turn on upnp on your host pc (but it won't play DTS audio unless you pass-through to a receiver)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 14, 2015

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
But Kodi isn't available for Roku?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

wolfbiker posted:

But Kodi isn't available for Roku?

It isn't but, if you turn on upnp, you can see your Kodi server in Roku Media Player. So no add-ons but you can play your own media.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, I have a Roku 2 (but a new Roku 2 so the processor is the same as the Roku 3) and it's disappointing in performance. That's why I was really hoping that Android TV would turn out to be something worthwhile so I could have one snappy "thick" client to do most of my streaming with. There's nothing that does everything. Roku comes close because it can do both Google Play Movies and Prime Movies, but the Google Play Movies is half baked in that it can only do 2 channel PCM audio. So, it may as well not even have Google Play Movies support as I have to go back to the chromecast for that.

So, while I was hoping I could do AndroidTV for most of my streaming and then use some other solution for Prime video (which I can do though game consoles, TV, or Blu-ray player), if I'm going to have to use cast functionality for stuff outside of a handful of core apps, I may as well stick to chromecast.

I did pick up a FireTV Stick on a whim because I had a $25 of Best Buy cash to burn one month and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I'm usually not a fan of Amazon's forking of Android, but the overall package with the FireTV is so much more polished than AndroidTV at this point. For example, FireTV supports Dolby Digital Plus audio from HBO Go where Chromecast/AndroidTV is stuck with 2 channel audio even though the app has been on those platforms longer (nevermind the fact that there's still not an HBO Go thick client for AndroidTV.) Those kinds of things matter if you are trying to come up with a first class streaming platform. I shouldn't plunk down $100 (or in the case of a Shield around double that) to find out after I get the box home that it has gimped audio support. That completely goes against the concept of getting some sort of more premium streaming solution.

At this point, unless something drastically changes with AndroidTV, I'm probably going to pick up whatever the next FireTV that passed the FCC and use the Chromecast to fill in the app gaps because I don't have faith that Google is really going to go after this platform in earnest after punting on GoogleTV and the Nexus Q. Other than the pending release of M, there's been virtually no development in this space for almost year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

Eh, I have a Roku 2 (but a new Roku 2 so the processor is the same as the Roku 3) and it's disappointing in performance. That's why I was really hoping that Android TV would turn out to be something worthwhile so I could have one snappy "thick" client to do most of my streaming with. There's nothing that does everything. Roku comes close because it can do both Google Play Movies and Prime Movies, but the Google Play Movies is half baked in that it can only do 2 channel PCM audio. So, it may as well not even have Google Play Movies support as I have to go back to the chromecast for that.

So, while I was hoping I could do AndroidTV for most of my streaming and then use some other solution for Prime video (which I can do though game consoles, TV, or Blu-ray player), if I'm going to have to use cast functionality for stuff outside of a handful of core apps, I may as well stick to chromecast.

I did pick up a FireTV Stick on a whim because I had a $25 of Best Buy cash to burn one month and I was actually pleasantly surprised. I'm usually not a fan of Amazon's forking of Android, but the overall package with the FireTV is so much more polished than AndroidTV at this point. For example, FireTV supports Dolby Digital Plus audio from HBO Go where Chromecast/AndroidTV is stuck with 2 channel audio even though the app has been on those platforms longer (nevermind the fact that there's still not an HBO Go thick client for AndroidTV.) Those kinds of things matter if you are trying to come up with a first class streaming platform. I shouldn't plunk down $100 (or in the case of a Shield around double that) to find out after I get the box home that it has gimped audio support. That completely goes against the concept of getting some sort of more premium streaming solution.

At this point, unless something drastically changes with AndroidTV, I'm probably going to pick up whatever the next FireTV that passed the FCC and use the Chromecast to fill in the app gaps because I don't have faith that Google is really going to go after this platform in earnest after punting on GoogleTV and the Nexus Q. Other than the pending release of M, there's been virtually no development in this space for almost year.

All of this poo poo is why I gave up streaming anything years ago. I continue to pay netflix, google, Charter, HBO, Amazon, whatever, and then just set up a usenet downloading solution and use Kodi. It's work on the front-end to get it all automated and working and then I basically only have to mess with it a few times a year to fix broken things. Certainly spend a lot less time baby sitting it then I would switching devices and services and UI's all the frickin' time.

• Locked thread