Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
HDMI-CEC is such a hacky mess with most hardware. If everything actually works right with your setup then congrats you basically won the lotto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's such a shame, because the idea is brilliant.

But of course AV manufacturers found a way to gently caress it up, because why not?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I've found if your settings are all correct or worked in the past, completely powering off and unplugging the whole system leaving it powered off for 5 minute then turning it all back on sometimes fixes the problem. That or do what i did and disable hdmi-cec completely and buy a logitech harmony 650.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
As one of the view people on earth that own an Google TV box why can't we have HDMI pass-through again? I will happily buy an Android TV as soon as I don't have to add yet another box to my setup. PIP, apps, Now on Tap, just let me pass through from my TV, I don't want to buy a smart TV and I don't want to juggle boxes.

Slate Slabrock
Sep 12, 2009
Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

Does the Chromecast 2 fix the issue I've been having for a couple months where sometimes my Chromecast just hangs indefinitely after a commercial on Hulu? Sometimes I can get away with just disconnecting my app from the device and reconnecting, but sometimes I have to hard-reboot the chromecast by unplugging it :v:

I've been having the same issue with my Chromecast 1. Usually hitting the 10second rewind and then Play fixes it. Annoying though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Three Olives posted:

As one of the view people on earth that own an Google TV box why can't we have HDMI pass-through again? I will happily buy an Android TV as soon as I don't have to add yet another box to my setup. PIP, apps, Now on Tap, just let me pass through from my TV, I don't want to buy a smart TV and I don't want to juggle boxes.

It's a bug that Google/Hulu still hasn't fixed yet. Be thankful you don't have a Chromecast 1 because it's a lot worse on the 1 when compared to the 2.

Google on the CC forums said a fix was pushed out in December but obviously it hasn't worked for a lot of people.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Looks like google finally got around to fixing the Hulu freezing after commercial bug on chromecasts:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/GByQXmDtuo8

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Just got, and set up a shield TV. All works great until I switch TV inputs, or turn TV off/standby. When switching back to the shield the scaling?/overscan?/resolution? is wonky until I restart the shield.

Its really annoying, and not a problem that my wetek play has that the shield should be replacing.

I'm not sure on the correct terms so difficult to find if it's a known issue, or if there's a fix at all. I'm assuming it's something to do with "HDMI handshaking" though just a guess.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

MeKeV posted:

Just got, and set up a shield TV. All works great until I switch TV inputs, or turn TV off/standby. When switching back to the shield the scaling?/overscan?/resolution? is wonky until I restart the shield.

Its really annoying, and not a problem that my wetek play has that the shield should be replacing.

I'm not sure on the correct terms so difficult to find if it's a known issue, or if there's a fix at all. I'm assuming it's something to do with "HDMI handshaking" though just a guess.

Maybe try different cables/inputs? I've never seen this on my Shield, although it used to happen all the time with my Win7 Kodi install.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
There's no way to do the following on my OG chromecast, is there?

1. edit something so that it can't play youtube ads.

2. Make it play youtube at a higher framerate than 30fps.

Thanks!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

1. I don't know of a way to avoid the ads without youtube red. If you used a tool to download the youtube videos ahead of time, you could play those to the CC with Videostream.
2. The video chip in the CC is limited to 30Hz, so no.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

taqueso posted:

1. I don't know of a way to avoid the ads without youtube red. If you used a tool to download the youtube videos ahead of time, you could play those to the CC with Videostream.
2. The video chip in the CC is limited to 30Hz, so no.

When Yahoo broadcast that NFL game last year, one of the miracles they worked was getting my Chromecast to play video at 60hz. It's possible, but for some reason Youtube doesn't.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Krakox posted:

There's no way to do the following on my OG chromecast, is there?

1. edit something so that it can't play youtube ads.

2. Make it play youtube at a higher framerate than 30fps.

Thanks!

You can play the YouTube video on your computer with adblocks and use Whole Tab casting, to avoid ads. Or you shouldn't do that because it's really loving stupid and also gently caress Off

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pay for Google music/YouTube red. It's worth it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

I agree with this. Unless the :10bux:/month is going to put a significant dent your budget,...

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Unless you're not in the US. Plus, that's yet another monthly entertainment expense, after Netflix, Amazon prime, Spotify, Hulu, etc...

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Would having the new Chromecast puck sitting flat on my TV stand (using an HDMI extension cable) cause any problems with overheating and/or weaker wifi reception? Since it's designed to be hanging freely, I wanted to ask before buying one.

I'm very put off by the way it just dangles. My TV's ports are on the side, and I've had problems with regular old HDMI cords being loose (moving just enough to periodically lose connection). I have little faith that the Chromecast would stay secure... and even if it did, the way it hangs still bothers me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

RZA Encryption posted:

Absolutely by far the best value in streaming music today once you consider YouTube Red. Play Music All Access is pretty great and a good value even before you get to stripping the ads off of YouTube. Honestly I would pay more for it if they jacked up the price.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Chikimiki posted:

Unless you're not in the US. Plus, that's yet another monthly entertainment expense, after Netflix, Amazon prime, Spotify, Hulu, etc...

Well yea if you're already paying for Spotify then youtube red alone isn't enough of a reason to get google music.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheScott2K posted:

Well yea if you're already paying for Spotify then youtube red alone isn't enough of a reason to get google music.

Just wanted to say I laughed at your red title. Lmao.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

apowe posted:

Would having the new Chromecast puck sitting flat on my TV stand (using an HDMI extension cable) cause any problems with overheating and/or weaker wifi reception? Since it's designed to be hanging freely, I wanted to ask before buying one.
The old Chromecast always runs warm and never gave me any trouble so I doubt that's an issue. Wifi interference is going to depend on where all the sources of interference are in your room, if it seems bad you'll just have to play around with it. Nobody can really guess that one for you but considering mine does fine plugged smack into the back of a TV it seems unlikely to be a problem

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

apowe posted:

I'm very put off by the way it just dangles. My TV's ports are on the side, and I've had problems with regular old HDMI cords being loose (moving just enough to periodically lose connection). I have little faith that the Chromecast would stay secure... and even if it did, the way it hangs still bothers me.

That is exactly how mine is setup and it has great reception.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok what's the better way for gaming on the Nexus player, Xbox 360 controller with pC wireless adapter or Xbox one controller (Bluetooth?) Or do I need the wireless adapter for that too ?

I'll be streaming from PC to Nexus player via nvidia/moonlight.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

jonathan posted:

Ok what's the better way for gaming on the Nexus player, Xbox 360 controller with pC wireless adapter or Xbox one controller (Bluetooth?) Or do I need the wireless adapter for that too ?

I'll be streaming from PC to Nexus player via nvidia/moonlight.

Xbox1 controller is still a custom connection stack it's just a DIFFERENT custom connection stack so you'd still need an adapter if it would even work on Android. As far as I know the released adapter for Xbox one only works for Windows 10.

Other options any Bluetooth controller, like the fire TV gaming controller a controller from the adt-1, a Wiimote, ds3, ds4, mogo controller. Pretty much everything except the 360 or Xbone controller all are Bluetooth and work. Wired USB controllers probably work too.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I tried playing Doom via moonlight but there is noticeable lag. The USB to microusb adapter with wireless adapter for xbox360 controller works great on the Nexus player. Unfortunately 1080p/60 is a bit laggy. Strange because it worked perfectly with mad Max.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Shield TV got updated to 3.2 today.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/948032/shield-android-tv/shield-android-tv-software-upgrade-3-2-now-available-6-29-16-/

quote:

Thank you for all of your feedback and help in making SHIELD the best streaming media player.

Today’s software upgrade is the tenth update since SHIELD Android TV launched just over a year ago, and it delivers a ton of new industry-leading features.

What’s New?

Netflix in HDR
SHIELD is the first Smart TV box to support Netflix in HDR! Pair with an HDR TV and enjoy brighter highlights, more detail in dark scenes, and a wider color range. One hundred hours of HDR shows are coming this summer. Learn more here: https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/faq#hdr

YouTube 4K 60FPS
Watch YouTube videos in 4K Ultra HD resolution at a smooth 60 frames per second—only on SHIELD.

VUDU in 4K
Catch up on the latest movies and binge-watch TV series. VUDU supports UltraViolet and Disney Movies Anywhere playback, as well as 4K and voice search.

Dolby Atmos
Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby® Atmos surround sound pass-through in VUDU, MX Player, SPMC, and SHIELD’s preinstalled Photos & Videos app.

Best Universal Search
Perform a natural language search for music, movies, TV shows or games and get results from over 60 apps including top new additions: Netflix, VUDU and Spotify.

Media Streaming – At Home and On the Go
With PLEX Media Server now built-in, you can stream your personal media collection from SHIELD to mobile devices, even outside the home. Accelerate your media (even from a NAS) with SHIELD’s HD transcode. Learn more here: https://shield.nvidia.com/support/nvidia-android-tv/faq#plex

More Top Apps Streaming to Your TV
If you’re a sports fan you can now stream all WatchESPN has to offer. Music lovers now have access to Spotify. For news junkies, NBC News was recently added and CNNGo, NPR and ABC News were announced as coming soon to Android TV. Family-friendly programming will get a major boost with WATCH ABC, Freeform, Disney Channel, Disney Jr. and Disney XD, and Nick, all of which have also been announced as coming soon to Android TV, along with Viacom’s MTV and Comedy Central.

Automatically Turn your TV Off
Rounding out our HDMI CEC support, SHIELD now automatically turns off your TV when SHIELD sleeps. Enable in Settings > HDMI > HDMI-CEC preferences.

Share SHIELD Folders with a PC
Access SHIELD folders from a network PC or Mac and enjoy drag-and-drop file sharing. Enable in Settings > Storage & reset > Access SHIELD folders on PC.

Mount Network Storage
Mount a network attached storage device (NAS) to SHIELD to access your complete media collection. Stream this media to mobile devices using the Plex app and SHIELD’s HD hardware transcode. Set up in Settings > Storage & reset > Network storage.

Improved Picture Quality
Enable YCbCr 4:4:4 color space for improved video quality on supported TVs. Go to Settings > HDMI > Color space.

We would love to hear from you. You may use the SHIELD Feedback Form to let us know which features you would love to see, which features aren't working well or if you would simply wish to leave general feedback:

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=be9a69099880aa79ccda4c61acc3fe29

Emphasis mine. HDR for Netflix is cool but I'm probably not gonna buy a 4k/HDR TV for a long time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Getting Vudu is a pretty big deal as the platform in general has lacked it and it didn't work as cast functionality the last time I tried it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My flatmate has an Apple TV which I use occasionally for Plex but not much else. He's moving out soon and I have no intention of buying an Apple TV because every single other device I own is Android-based. So I was thinking about picking up an Android TV but the Nexus Player was already discontinued and the only option seems to be the Shield. Is Android TV dead? Just bad? Should I just use a Chromecast or a RaPi instead?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
A chromecast is pretty meh as a plex box but for the price it isn't bad. Look at a roku, those are supposed to be much nicer.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tunga posted:

My flatmate has an Apple TV which I use occasionally for Plex but not much else. He's moving out soon and I have no intention of buying an Apple TV because every single other device I own is Android-based. So I was thinking about picking up an Android TV but the Nexus Player was already discontinued and the only option seems to be the Shield. Is Android TV dead? Just bad? Should I just use a Chromecast or a RaPi instead?

If you want an Android TV sort of thing the Nvidia Shield TV is the good one. It can double as a plex server (but might have some issues with adaptable storage and metadata so it's suggested you get the 500GB version if you want video thumbnails on). 'Course the Shield TV could also just be a Kodi box and you could ditch plex.

Otherwise yeah Chromecast Gen 2 works fine as plex client so long as it has a stable wifi signal (not too far away) I use several of them with my PC as a the plex server and don't have problems. Roku's also good.

edit: Well don't have problems with the gen 2s. After plex removed the 12mbps limit on chromecasts the older gen 1 chromecast can't actually handle anything above 12mbps and stutters. I'm not sure if they've fixed that yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AndroidTV is driving the app ecosystem behind a few TV manufacturers (most notably Sony) so it's still pretty alive even if hardware selection is slim.

There's just not profit to be had in the whole streaming box game. Roku is only still in it because of AD revenue. Amazon has their own store backing them as does Apple. The value proposition of making a box when you don't have digital content to tie in isn't great. Nvidia is really only doing it since it's an extension of their game streaming.

Personally, I've found app development on AndroidTV TV to be more active than the Fire platform for the most part.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I should probably add that I'm an Android developer so I have a heavy preference towards Android stuff and will probably go that way unless it actually just sucks or lacks content. I already own a Chromecast (v2) and have found it to be a bit unreliable for Plex. Basically if iPlayer and Plex are both fine on the Shield I'll go with that.

I'll actually also be replacing the TV at the same time since he owns the current one and I looked around but it seems like only Sony are really including it and ultimately I'm going to buy a TV based on picture quality rather than Android TV.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 10, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a Chromecast ethernet adapter, and with plex is works really well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

AndroidTV seems to be a better fit with TV manufacturers than set top box makers. Just get a Roku, you'll be fine.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a Chromecast ethernet adapter, and with plex is works really well.

Is there only the Google one, or is there a good 3rd party one?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Takoluka posted:

Is there only the Google one, or is there a good 3rd party one?

I could only find the google one when I bought one a few weeks ago.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So what about the Razer Forge? Is that thing dead/abandoned? It seems to only exist on the Razer website and is going for £85 with two controllers (effectively the controllers are free).

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

So what about the Razer Forge? Is that thing dead/abandoned? It seems to only exist on the Razer website and is going for £85 with two controllers (effectively the controllers are free).

It's been DOA due to Razer being an awful company for anything software related. Tons of bugs and problems, poor update support and its never going to improve. At launch they didn't even bother to ship Netflix with the damned thing.

Get a Shield TV or the new Fire TV.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Just don't buy a smart TV, the smarts get dumb after about a year or so as support drops off. Buy a dumb tv and a set top box and replace the smarts as needed. Roku is good, shield is good, depends on what you want to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

FlyingCheese posted:

Just don't buy a smart TV, the smarts get dumb after about a year or so as support drops off. Buy a dumb tv and a set top box and replace the smarts as needed. Roku is good, shield is good, depends on what you want to do with it.

The smart tv stuff doesn't increase the price and any tv that is dumb is going to have a crappy panel nowadays. Just don't use the smart tv stuff.

• Locked thread