Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know if a USB port marked "Service" will still charge the Chromecast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

So what's this about the Netflix offer going away? This blog is correct that Google removed the mention of it from the Play store landing page.

http://phandroid.com/2013/07/25/chromecast-netflix-offer/

I bought mine from Amazon yesterday and it's sitting on my doorstep at home right now, I assume I'll still get my free Netflix?

edit: news from something more reputable than a crappy android blog

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-google-ends-chromecast-netflix-promotion-20130725,0,483513.story

Sucks, still want one.

I've lived without Netflix before. :v:

It's probably due to people overbuying it JUST for the Netflix bonus.

At least it'll be easier to find now. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the Chromecast may soon support the Revision3, Pandora, and Songza apps.

Oh, and a little app called HBO Go.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/25/chromecast-hbo-go-dial/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quote is not edit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Is that a three-inch extension? Is it a cord or is it like a solid plastic pass through thing?

I also am wondering whether it's OS-agnostic as far as laptops go. Since it seems like it operates like chrome-to-phone did where you could click a button in Chrome and have the URL sent to your phone and auto-opened in the phone's browser. Obviously there's far more to it, but in general you're not streaming video from your goddamn device in realtime for poo poo like Netflix and YouTube. Playing local media is streaming, definitely. I wonder if there's some kind of remote file access going on with that, though. Instead of streaming your screen it opens the file on your machine as though it were a URL and then takes commands for stop/play/pause whatevs.

Oh, I am definitely going to try getting one of these today. Hope they're in stock at a BBY.

Dude, if you get one, tell (in the thread, no PMs for me :() where they are. I might go to the Best Buy on 72nd, not sure.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://gigaom.com/2013/07/29/chromecast-vimeo-redbox-instant-plex/

Vimeo and Redbox have all spoken out that they will officially support Chromecast in the future.

Plex has stated they've ordered some for testing and have noticed that people are excited.

HBO Go is in talks with Google.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Looks like my local Best Buy might have just got some in stock. Are people still getting the Netflix credit with them from Best Buy?

My fiancee got his on Tuesday and it still had free Netflix on it.

I'd say Best Buy might have stock with the code until mid-August.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm assuming Best Buy was the only retail partner for these things?

Looks like Best Buy was the only retail partner, yes. I've looked around Walmart, Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, and even Nebraska Furniture Mart but nothing turned up. I don't think Google let anyone but Best Buy sell it.

All Best Buys I've checked at are completely sold out.

This kind of feels like the Nexus 4 launch all over again except it was actually in stores this time. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The thing that bothers me is Google is once again shooting themselves in the foot with a hosed up product launch.

They announce this cheap simple streaming solution and everyone gets excited about it.

Then you can't buy it.

But here's the rub, once you get people excited for something they weren't sure that they needed, they will find a way to make it happen. So now, these same people are going to be buying up other media streamers because they have the streaming bug and Google will have lower adoption numbers than they could have had if inventory was anything close to what it needed to be.

I already have tons of ways to stream in my main entertainment area, but I was thinking of grabbing a Chromecast for my bedroom TV and returning the cable box. But now I can't get one. So I start thinking to myself "Well, this cable box is costing me $5.99 /month. Chromecast costs $35 and I can't get one for 3 months. So, if this is really the route I want to take for that TV, I could just buy a Roku now and it would cost me the same amount in the end."

Their first mistake was giving it ONLY to Best Buy for brick and mortar stores.

They would've done better to spread it out like they do the Nexus 7. I've seen that thing pretty much everywhere. Amazon, NewEgg, HSN, Staples, Radio Shack, Best Buy, Walmart, the previously mentioned Nebraska Furniture Mart, Target, Shopko, think I even saw some at Sears and Kmart.

The Chromecast won't fail because of "not many features compared to the competition" (which is what a local station claimed about it, saying it wasn't worth the low-cost. Sadly enough, this local station is one of the most popular ones here so people WILL listen), it'll fail because you simply can't buy the thing.

I'm not sure if people are already hawking it on eBay like they did the Nexus 4 or Straight Talk AT&T SIMs, but there's that too.

Their second one? Giving it only to Best Buy.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rhyno posted:

The Nexus 4 was Play exclusive for months and just as hard to get at first.

But the Nexus 4 was never marketed towards consumers like the Chromecast is. It's been mentioned everywhere, even on local news stations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I don't really see how there will be since iOS apps can't change Wifi settings. Unless it's just a list of instructions to follow.

I recall that Google said the Chromecast would work on iOS, Android, Mac, and Windows.

Nihiliste posted:

The issue at the moment is quantities, not where it's available. If there had been enough units, no one would care much about it only being available through three sources.

This is the same problem they had with the Nexus 4. They didn't have many and ran out before it even shipped the first batch.

LG even blamed Google for not ordering enough. Google blamed LG for not making enough.

Granted, this time people have them but Google, again, didn't have enough and ran out.

I don't think Google has much confidence in their physical items because they keep making or ordering small quantities. They're still thinking things will be like the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S which barely sold at all.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Why does everyone need to have every one of the things Right Now?

The only reason the Chromecast is flying off the shelves is it's $35 and used to come with a free Netflix promotion.

The only people who really bought it as a consumer were the people who wanted it because it's $35. I'm pretty sure no one outside of people who frequent the Internet regularly (nerds? geeks? Whatever they're called now) knew it even came with a free Netflix subscription.

Since it had that, people bought it and flooded Best Buy's stores just to buy multiple copies of it. It most likely freaked out Netflix who killed the promotion early.

However, since Best Buy still had stock that still had the promotion, nerds ran to buy it anyway and cleaned Best Buy out.

Basically, the price is right and there was a promotion. :v:

Once Google realizes it's okay to have a bit too much stock of something, we'll probably be okay. But that may never happen because they've done it with the Nexus 4 and now the Chromecast.

The price is so low, people were buying it just because it could satisfy an impulse buy and maybe not break the bank in the process. Also free Netflix.

I wonder how much of the general public will buy the Chromecast once BB gets stock without the Netflix promo still attached. Most of the non-techie places I've noticed all say it's not worth buying because the Roku and Apple TV still do more and thus are worth their higher price points.

Jesus...this post became incredibly long..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

The promotion wasn't ended early. They had a fixed number of codes to give out and they ran out.

What's your source on people stockpiling multiple Chromecasts? You can only redeem the code once so I don't see the point in that.

What's the source on them running out of codes? I didn't read anything about that. Mostly just that it ended early.

As for people stockpiling, there's quite a few people on eBay selling more than one Chromecast. Also there was someone here who redeemed two codes and it worked fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sendo posted:

The Netflix offer was always marked as "while supplies last", not sure how that amounts to ending early.

The articles I read were all posted immediately after they stopped the promo, probably got all mixed up in the confusion of it, oops. :v:

Maybe it was more the promotion and less the price?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

At $35, even ignoring the Netflix promo, it is under the decision threshold of "if I forgot this in a hotel, would I care?" I suppose the $40 Roku falls under that heading too, but not an Apple TV.

The Roku would sort of count too, but I don't see it working that way for most consumers. They want features now, not waiting until later. I could see the Roku winning out that battle for non-tech people.

If working for HSN and ShopNBC have taught me anything, people would gladly pay more for features than less for less features (in their eyes anyway).

I do still agree it's cheap enough to impulse buy, but you could also return it and just buy the Roku too.

I'd say it's tough to tell until more units ship.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

That's not what I was asking. I understand why people want this thing. I don't understand why people have to have it Right Now and then complain when it's out of stock. Just wait until it's available!

Apologies, completely misunderstood. Now my giant post was for nothing. :(

I agree with bull though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DR0PDNE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon now has the Chromecast as well.

Whoops, thought they did. Forgot to clear my cache of the page from a few weeks ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

taqueso posted:

Managed to try out multi-user YouTube queue with 2x Nexus 7 and an iPhone 4s. When my roommate connected the 2nd Nexus midway through, it cleared the entire queue, which was disappointing. At some point, one of the 7s lost access to the currently playing/queue information. It could still queue stuff up, though. Otherwise, everything worked pretty nicely.

In related news, the house PS3 died, so the ChromeCast has been getting a lot of use. It has reinforced my opinion that Netflix really needs a queue or at least automatic next episode playing.

The only automatic next episode playing I've seen is on my fiancee's Xbox 360. I don't even think it does it on my PS3...not sure.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2013/12/chromecast-update.html

Looks like the latest update to Chromecast, Build 14651, has an updated home screen along with bug fixes. So far, no one knows what it looks like since it's a slow rollout.

The techie blogs claim it's a minor update, but they fail to realize that it's a major revision from the old 13300 to the new 14651. Also, they're techie blogs so...yeah. :v:

The hackathon will be Thursday, December 7 to Friday, December 8th. Looks like the SDK will go public around that time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/12/new-chromecast-apps-for-holidays.html

VEVO, Red Bull.TV, Songza, PostTV, Viki, Revision 3, BeyondPod, Plex, Avia, and RealPlayer Cloud are all available on Chromecast as of today.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like you'll need a subscription to PlexPass to use Plex with Chromecast.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Geno posted:

Plex requiring a sub makes me think it won't be awhile until the SDK is open

No, it's just Plex doing this for their paid members because they give them the newest stuff. They'll probably release it for non-sub members in a couple of months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you buy a Chromecast and Nexus 7 together from Google Play starting today, you'll get $32 in Google Play credit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

drat, no Vimeo yet. Did they open up their SDK to developers or is this update a closed developer thing?

Seems like it's still closed developer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

joe football posted:

Is there any consensus yet on what needs to be done to be able to stream from a wired PC hooked up to a router? All the random ideas I've tried from the internet so far have not worked

I can stream from a wired PC hooked up to a router just fine...what errors are you getting? Are you trying to stream a tab or the desktop or YouTube or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hmm... could it be a firewall or VPN issue?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/1son19/til_google_drive_supports_chromecasting/

It looks like Chromecast will soon be able to handle Presentations from Google Drive.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I wonder if Aero is going to release a Chromecast app. I live in the NYC metro area, so I may be to able to sign up for the NYC service.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57615121-93/aereo-testing-chromecast-app/

Actually, Aereo is testing a Chromecast app right now.

CNET posted:

NEW YORK -- Aereo plans to launch on Chromecast, with the over-the-air broadcast streamer now testing an app for Google's $35 HDMI dongle, Chief Executive Chet Kanojia said Tuesday.
Kanojia, speaking on the sidelines of a UBS investor conference, said Chromecast was one of the main goals of Aereo achieving Android support.

edit: gently caress, beaten :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://gigaom.com/2013/12/13/chromecast-in-2014-an-open-sdk-big-international-plans-and-maybe-even-new-devices/

Google talked to GigaOM about the Chromecast...looks like they have a lot of big ideas for it in 2014, including international support, the ability for "any" app to use the open Google Cast SDK (which will be made public next year), and possibly new devices that use the Google Cast SDK.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Nope. Just got it as a Christmas present, don't own an android device or anything google related, and wanted to jump in on it. I vaguely read a few things about it and thought it was like XBMC or something similar. Looks like its a streaming device so I was curious if its possible to hack it to turn it into something cooler like streaming my entire windows desktop.

You can stream the entire Windows desktop.

You need the Google Chrome browser and the Google Cast extension to stream your desktop and Google Chrome tabs.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

poo poo, really? I don't have plex pass, but drat I thought the plex/web support would come a lot later.

I just tried it. There's a Cast button, Google Cast Extension notices it, but it only has Local playback to your computer if you click it, not to the Chromecast.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

Uhh... not sure if this is intended or not, but for anyone who has Plex and isn't a PlexPass subscriber, you can get around not being able to cast from the iOS/Android app by casting directly from https://www.plex.tv/web on your Mac/PC. I tried it with another Plex account/server that isn't Premium/PlexPass and it works just fine.

I'm just going to accept this as my Christmas gift from Plex (and from you for letting us know).

Thank you! :dance:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Coincidentally, the page for the Android app on Google Play now says that casting will be coming to all users once it's out of a "trial" period. However long that is.

It's been that way for a while. They'll probably keep it exclusive for a few months.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk on Plex's forums that they may not actually let everyone use Plex on Chromecast until probably 5-6 months from know considering all of their features they promised to have available to all months ago.

This isn't really looking good for everyone to use Plex.

In the mean time, I might get Plex Pass lifetime...is Plex for Chromecast actually worth that?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

You could always just do the 2.99 a month plan to see if it's worth it to you.

I might give this a shot. Thanks for the response!

Geno posted:

This isn't surprising at all.

This actually might affect the Chromecast's popularity. There are people on Plex's forums returning their device just because of what Plex is doing.

The common population doesn't even know what Plex is but they hear that "that new Roku thing can do more" and of course there's Apple TV so who knows.

Google really needs to get that SDK out fast. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hurray! I wonder if Android screen /desktop display mirroring/extending will be a possibility.

Koush Dutta made a huge stink about it being available but only for Google or whatever. So it is possible but maybe everyone can do it now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Karthe posted:

After spending way too long futzing around with AllCast and Avia+PS3 Media Server, I caved and bought a month of Plex Pass. I'm amazed at how it Just Works - after setting up the couple of folders I have everything stored in, I was able to successfully cast a few videos in my hodge podge of a collection with absolutely no issues. Point it to the Chromecast, play a video, and bam, it's streaming in the living room.

I really hope Plex plans on releasing Chromecast to everyone soon, I'm not enthusiastic about Plex Pass in the long-term. Have they give any indication of when this might happen? I haven't heard any major news about it since they announced Chromecast support in January.

The only thing that's happened officially is them ignoring questions when asked on their forums after previously deleting them when brought up on the initial blog post when it all went down.

It's speculated that it may be at least 6 months as there are a lot of Plex Pass features that were supposed to be separated by now such as the ability to save videos for offline viewing. That was supposed to be made into a separate subscription but Plex Pass owners would get a discount. It's not happened yet.

Honestly, it doesn't look like we'll see public Chromecast for a while but that may not matter as the SDK is finally public. We should see more and more ways to use the Chromecast soon and Plex aren't the only ones who do local video stuff (they just do it well enough that you don't need to worry about codecs).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Now that Google Play Services 4.2 is finally out to all Android devices as of today, the Google Play Services SDK (which includes the Google Cast API) is now available.

Previously, only the Google Cast SDK was public but that didn't really mean anything as the API wasn't. When asked why Pocket Casts wasn't jumping to be on Chromecast, the devs responded on Twitter that the SDK wasn't fully public. Now it is.

Now we should start seeing a large group of Cast-capable apps since the SDK and API are both public.

This took Google WAY too long but hopefully it still works out in their favor.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+AndroidDevelopers/posts/E6hpQxaoL18

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/1yab6z/important_message_from_your_friendly_mod_team/

Reddit wants Google to do a Chromecast AMA. However, Google wants to know exactly what people would want to know before they do it to know who to send and if they can do it without giving away anything private.

So, Reddit mods are asking people to give some questions and ideas so Google knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Dude posted:

Also, it seems like they've adopted an unofficial 4-6 month exclusivity rule for "beta" features, so Chromecast support should be coming to the free version of Plex server within a few months.

Did they finally make it so everyone can download media to mobile devices? I recall them doing that and it bring a separate subscription than Plex Pass.

• Locked thread