Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Everybody wins!

Another thing you can check is if your TV supports HDMI 1.4, which will power the Chromecast without a need for a USB port. Finally, you could probably use a wall charger, but I'd be careful with that.
The Chromecast comes with a power adapter if your TV won't power it.

e: f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I finally got my ChromeCast last night and it is nice. Much easier to move between the two floors in my house to watch netflix than the Xbox 360.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

Yeah 2 would be the idea for the future but for the budget conscious consumer a single one is still pretty great.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

No dice in the tablet thread, so maybe you guys can help: I'm trying to get my parents' Kindle Fire to work with the Chromecast. I figured out how to set up 1mobile Market to get YouTube and Netflix working with it, but haven't figured out a way to do HBO Go yet; is there a way to do it without rooting? They're not too terribly technically savvy, so I'd prefer not to go that direction.
Have you tried sideloading the version of HBO Go from the play store? It may not be updated on Amazon.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

The Royal Scrub posted:

My setup isn't bad either I don't think. I usually report 60/45+ mbps on the online tests, and it dropped to below 20 every time I tested it with CC desktop streaming on. Not sure how you'd ever stream video this way, I was getting like one frame every few seconds even with Tab Casting.
This is not normal. My PC from 2010 has no problem doing the 720p stream while tab casting. Is your CPU capable of handling the load of encoding the video? Is your network able to handle the PC->Chromecast traffic in addition to your download test? If both devices are on wifi, that could be an issue.

Essentially, there are lot of things that could cause the problems you're having, but they're not typical problems and not indicative of normal ChromeCast performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

If you don't currently subscribe to Google Play All Access, you can get 3 months free from the Chromecast promotion site.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/24/chromecast-is-one-year-old-so-have-three-months-of-google-play-music-all-access-on-the-house/

• Locked thread